• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 bucks says they launch the system with a drop-dead gorgeous 60FPS 1080p F-Zero with 30-player online MP, voice chat, and Halo-style file sharing for custom tracks and vehicles.

Xun said:
Indeed.

Although I can't help but feel a little excited.

This is despite Nintendo fucking us over with the Wii.

Yeah, I'm very excited. I'm lovin' the 3DS, so I'm sure I'll love their new system, just hate reading all these badass sounding ideas, then it won't be anything like it.

-Eddman- said:
I want to board the hype train, but knowing Nintendo, they won't discuss any specs or technical stuff if the console is announced at E3. I actually expect something like "we are working in the Wii successor, it will change everything you know; expect more news soon".

If they're planning to release it early next year, we'll see demos at least.

Ezalc

StickSoldier said:
This thread is making the Wii2 sound like the Holy Grail... I'm afraid to be hugely disappointed.

Clearly everybody here is missing the point. If this console really does ship in late 2012. It probably means that this is what the Mayans were referring to with their old ass calendar. How this console will be so shockingly brilliant that the entire world will implode on the day of its' launch.

Jonm1010

Banned
timetokill said:
Haha.... What?

How would the Wii be considered a fuck up for Nintendo?
It's certainly not sales wise. But it did certainly fail to change the focus of 3rd party developers away from graphics tech and standard controllers like they hoped. And it also failed to deliver high sales for 3rd party developers so it's wii model has seemingly discouraged them.

but I am pleased to see that Nintendo apparently realizes that Wiis success was the exception, not the norm. That if it had continued that business path again they would almost cease entirely of being a platform for third parties. They apparently know now that gimmicky controllers aren't going to keep 3rd party support and that lagging behind the other two in graphics long term will be to it's detriment once those two have the same gimmicky controllers.

My only question now is just how much are they willing to invest to compete with microsoft and Sony in the graphics department. Will we see a console that looks like two ps3s slapped together or will we see a true step forward with a system that has the latest graphics card, solid ram and large storage media drive?

Big One

Banned
Relix said:
GCN was fucking amazing. Wtf?
It's certainly good but the offerings on the Wii are more or less superior to what we got on the GCN imo. I can break down the games and most of them I prefer the Wii incarnation on, but that's just me. Their libraries are pretty interchangeable in the long run.

Ecotic said:
I'm going to be very blunt; I hope Nintendo's strategy with the Wii successor is a complete 180 from how they handled the Wii. The Wii left such a horrible taste in my mouth, from the way they cobbled together ancient technology and sold it as new, to the lousy software emphasis (Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Fit) and especially Nintendo's continued use of extremely played-out core franchises (as usual, it's Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid for all eternity).

Nintendo has felt like America Online of the 90's for the past 6 years, making truckloads of money by fooling the lowest common denominator and presenting the mirage of earned success. I remember walking into a Gamestop in 2009 and seeing mountains of New Super Mario Bros. Wii copies ready to be sold for Christmas and thinking of just how bad Nintendo's penny-penching corporate culture had become. That game was literally like the cheapest, least imaginative, and most cost-effective way of making lots money with very little investment - just take the successful DS game, use the same established artwork and everything, make some new levels, and then watch the millions come in.

The fax machine was nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached.

The Xtortionist said:
10 bucks says they launch the system with a drop-dead gorgeous 60FPS 1080p F-Zero with 30-player online MP, voice chat, and Halo-style file sharing for custom tracks and vehicles.

$11 says they won't. I just raised you, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW??????

Amir0x said:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Gamecube edition, undebatably the superior version *snip*

I disagree. Therefore your post is incorrect. It is not undebatably better. I recommend amending that falsehood in your post.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ecotic said:
I'm going to be very blunt; I hope Nintendo's strategy with the Wii successor is a complete 180 from how they handled the Wii. The Wii left such a horrible taste in my mouth, from the way they cobbled together ancient technology and sold it as new, to the lousy software emphasis (Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Fit) and especially Nintendo's continued use of extremely played-out core franchises (as usual, it's Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid for all eternity).

Nintendo has felt like America Online of the 90's for the past 6 years, making truckloads of money by fooling the lowest common denominator and presenting the mirage of earned success. I remember walking into a Gamestop in 2009 and seeing mountains of New Super Mario Bros. Wii copies ready to be sold for Christmas and thinking of just how bad Nintendo's penny-penching corporate culture had become. That game was literally like the cheapest, least imaginative, and most cost-effective way of making lots money with very little investment - just take the successful DS game, use the same established artwork and everything, make some new levels, and then watch the millions come in.

No....... just no. Someone slap this man please.

Meier

newjeruse said:
If the late 2012 launch is true and if the speculation that it's at our around the power of current HD consoles, that's very disappointing news.

That's a lot of "if's" though.
No kidding.. I worry they'll end up in the same boat the next gen but oh well, I'd be pretty psyched to actually play some of the games I have in HD.

Jikagi

-Eddman- said:
I want to board the hype train, but knowing Nintendo, they won't discuss any specs or technical stuff if the console is announced at E3. I actually expect something like "we are working in the Wii successor, it will change everything you know; expect more news soon".

I wouldn't expect them to announce the technical stuff either. I expect Nintendo to not announce that much at E3, and then just wait until the future, like what they did with the 3DS.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Xtortionist said:

serious?

purple cobra said:
Exciting times when a new console is on the horizon. :) Is it safe to guess PS4/X-Box 720 will probably hit a year after?

The way the hype is building on this new Nintendo console, if it delivers, it will shame Sony and Microsoft so hard they won't even release new consoles. They will close down their gaming divisions and go back to just making A/V equipment and operating systems.

Amir0x said:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Gamecube edition, undebatably the superior version of the game and worthy of all the sales (even though Nintendo raped its chances), is really a joy from start to end. Siren song of OLD NINTENDO... and I pretty much can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

You mean swan song? A siren song is something that seductively draws you in to your doom.

Amir0x

Banned
Mortrialus said:
I disagree. Therefore your post is incorrect. It is not undebatably better. I recommend amending that falsehood in your post.

cry some more into your waggly garbage soup as we watch Zelda GCN ascend to heaven

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wii has some good games, but it ultimately fails against GCN's library. Amirox pointed it.

Oh and it has the best Zelda... Wind Waker ;-).

thuway

Amir0x said:
And THAT is why we make fun of today's nintendo fans.

All modern Nintendo fans that think GCN sucked will be shunned when the old Nintendo returns for the crown. Deniers refused.

The Gamecube really wasn't that awesome. You can hate the 64 all you want but reality is this:

Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Starfox 64
Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
WWF No Mercy and every other AKI made Wrestling game
Banjo

Dennis

Banned
Ecotic said:

DonMigs85

Ecotic said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Nowadays so much stuff is recycled or done on the cheap.

Amir0x

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
You mean swan song? A siren song is something that seductively draws you in to your doom.

And thus it did. It was heralding people to buy a Wii for its imitation edition, and all who purchased a Wii were inevitably doomed.

fse

Anyone have a pic of that mockup some spanish site made of the gamecube controller where it was three pronged with a screen? They might be able to make the controller detach :eek:

KAL2006

Banned
Amirox you left out
Eternal Darkness
Tales of Symphonia
Mario Kart Double dash
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
REmake
Smash Bros Melee

AceBandage said:
No.
No SSDs please.
They run out too quickly for gaming.
They'll likely go with BluRay.
No! No Optical discs! SSD for the OS and patches, and solid state flash memory (SD card, Compact Flash, probably modified) for the games. You can store up to 128GB on current flash memory no problems and loading is significantly faster.

Why anyone would want to continue with optical discs (beside price) is beyond me. They're slow, they're damaged easily, they're loud, they're power-hungry.

Utako said:
I think the term "HD" is being used liberally for the controller screen.

It's probably like 960x640 or something.
Yeah, I was thinking qHD at most.

Xun

Unlike with the Wii I'll make sure I don't buy it at launch, since I want to make sure it's worth purchasing first.

I also hope Nintendo adopts a vastly superior online system, but I doubt that sadly.

Ah well, we'll see I guess.

codswallop said:
No! No Optical discs! SSD for the OS and patches, and solid state flash memory (SD card, Compact Flash, probably modified) for the games. You can store up to 128GB on current flash memory no problems and loading is significantly faster.

Why anyone would want to continue with optical discs (beside price) is beyond me. They're slow, they're damaged easily, they're loud, they're power-hungry.

Yeah, I was thinking qHD at most.

It's BC with Wii, so it will use optical disc media.

GCN used optical discs and it is lightning fast, so there is more to the equation here.

Oh WOW! Just read the rumors. I am personally very excited to see the first news about a new generation of hardware. Its about time do not disappoint me Nintendo!

Tenbatsu

Controller with LCD?
bleemdc02.jpg

Relix said:
Wii has some good games, but it ultimately fails against GCN's library. Amirox pointed it.

Oh and it has the best Zelda... Wind Waker ;-).
The Mario Galaxies mean the Wii win by default.

Or, alternatively: it's purely personal, and the "no yur rong, wii/gc is garbage" comments are pathetic. (not talking about your post)

Azure J

Skiesofwonder said:
No....... just no. Someone slap this man please.

I'll do it in spirit by playing some on the side screen here. Any Mario game that gives me the ability to pick fools up and throw them out of my way while I proceed to get my platforman on can't be anything less that good at the least. :p

And as much as GCN GAF is strong and makes me feel all warm and tingly... Sorry guy's but Wii really gave it a run for its life (all imo of course).

thuway said:
The Gamecube really wasn't that awesome. You can hate the 64 all you want but reality is this:

Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Starfox 64
Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo

Aww man, WCW/NWO Revenge. Over-the-rope battle royale. Good times..

Amir0x said:
Dude, I never remember you joking around with me before. Just know my pet peeves are being called a liar and being called a hypocrite, and just throw winks in your posts if you're going to accuse me of either! ;)

Then I apologise, I didn't mean to offend you, and I'll take more care next time.

Can't say I take too kindly to being called a fanboy either though, given I lament those very people.

DonMigs85

thuway said:

Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Starfox 64
Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo
I guess I have to agree - while the graphics are often hard to stomach now, I loved the thing more than GCN overall. Games like Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were great, but they just couldn't capture the magic of their N64 predecessors, just like The Lost World movie.
EDIT:
Don't forget Paper Mario, Diddy Kong Racing, Wave Race, Pokemon Puzzle League, and tons more.

Twilight Princess GCN: Link's left handed, no waggle bullshit.
Twilight Princess Wii: Widescreen, aiming arrows with the pointer is sweet.

balladofwindfishes said:
If it's BC with the Wii, I'm going to assume it'll be BC with the GCN?
All depends if it's disk drive will read the GCN mini disks.

Amir0x

Banned
thuway said:

Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Starfox 64
Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo

Half of those games were fucking terrible. Goldeneye is one of those classic tinted glasses examples N64 inevitably brings up. Not a single aspect of it holds up. I would not play Goldeneye vs. a single FPS that even came out during the Xbox generation, let alone the 360 gen.

Smash Bros? Shallow fighting garbage. Notice how I didn't list the GCN version either, even though that is a way better fighting game. I don't play shallow fighters.

Conker's Fur Day is filled with laughably dated jokes and terrible platforming - the type of humour you have to be thirteen and only thirteen to enjoy. Its level design is atrocious. Mario Kart 64 sucked compared to Double Dash and Mario Kart SNES. 1080 was ok. Banjo was collectathoning garbage. Collecathoning in the way of legitimate quality level design.

And of course, the graphics are all terrible, the framerates are all terrible, the sound is all terrible.

N64 is the worst successful system of all time, bar none

jackdoe said:
The ability to control the camera with the C-stick automatically made the GCN version superior.

Bingo. It even made the lost of extra item slot worth it.

KAL2006 said:
Amirox you left out
Eternal Darkness
Tales of Symphonia
Mario Kart Double dash
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
REmake
Smash Bros Melee

I left out Symphonia and Eternal Darkness (BLECK, awful), but I listed those others except Melee. It's just in a different post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom