• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
timetokill said:
Haha.... What?

How would the Wii be considered a fuck up for Nintendo?
Few good selling third party games
Missed opportunity on digital download
Online functionalities were abysmal
Too inconsistant release schedule

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
All modern Nintendo fans that think GCN sucked will be shunned when the old Nintendo returns for the crown. Deniers refused.
Nintendo could bring out a system even more powerful than current PCs now and I'd be careful to think this :p

StickSoldier said:
This thread is making the Wii2 sound like the Holy Grail... I'm afraid to be hugely disappointed.
You gotta believe hard to play this here game

Amir0x said:
I hope you're not implying I used to not like GCN, but now do.

Why don't you suck on this shit?

That's 2006.

I don't fake my likes and dislikes or change by the whims of a corporation. I'm not a fanboy. Might be difficult to understand the mind of someone who is not a fanboy, considering who you are.

Jesus dude, I've only been kidding.

Is the sarcasm detector gone with the avatars into oblivion today or something?

And are you labelling me a fanboy? Of what, exactly?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's the over/under on Skyward Sword being delayed for this? A screen on the controller would help with the overly intrusive HUD in it.

Einbroch

Banned
StickSoldier said:
This thread is making the Wii2 sound like the Holy Grail... I'm afraid to be hugely disappointed.
It's Nintendo.

So it's going to be the best thing ever or a piece of shit.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Majine said:

Who cares about any of that at Nintendo? THEY MADE MONEY. PERIOD.

what would a controller with and HD Screen cost?
LLShC.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
E3 just got real. Next gen is on it's way! And Nintendo's bringing it, big time! Damn. Good stuff, can't wait for it now.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Jesus dude, I've only been kidding.

Is the sarcasm detector gone with the avatars into oblivion today or something?

And are you labelling me a fanboy? Of what, exactly?

i don't like being accused of hypocrisy. I certainly didn't see a wink or anything. And you have vehemently defended Nintendo's absurd choices in the past. It's only natural for me to assume you're serious.

antonz

Smiles and Cries said:
what would a controller with and HD Screen cost?
LLShC.gif
Really just depends on what the controller is. A High Density screen would not be all that expensive. and The Wiimotes themselves if I remember are pretty damn cheap to manufacture as it is.

Sounds utterly stupid. Why would I want to spend money on a controller with an HD screen? Why split my attention between the controller and the TV?

Controllers are expensive enough as it is. I really hope these rumours fall flat.

ManeKast

I am completley beside myself with joy. I dont understand how any gamer could not possibly see this as anything short of triumphant. Take me, Nintendo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RoboPlato said:
What's the over/under on Skyward Sword being delayed for this? A screen on the controller would help with the overly intrusive HUD in it.

It'll be released on both consoles, but it'll be mirrored on the WiiHD.. as it'll be played with the HD controller and not the Wiimote.

Xun

StickSoldier said:
Indeed.

Although I can't help but feel a little excited.

This is despite Nintendo fucking us over with the Wii.

DonMigs85

I think some of you guys should be more cautiously optimistic - while it may indeed be more powerful than 360/PS3 (hell even late 2006 PC GPUs surpass them by a pretty big margin) I doubt it'll be anything mind-boggling. Still, it will earn a place in my home as the first Nintendo system to output at something higher than 480p.

I also wonder if they'll still be leaving in ports to attach GCN controllers and memory cards. I sure hope so!

Huff

Banned
Majine said:

Were problems and will be a bigger problems for the next console if they don't fix them. But still no way in hell the wii can be considered a fuck up for nintendo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EvilMario said:
It'll be released on both consoles, but it'll be mirrored on the WiiHD.. as it'll be played with the HD controller and not the Wiimote.
And that trick will work on me yet again to buy a Nintendo console on launch day.

Foil said:
What in the world are you talking about here? There are tons of great single player experiences on those platforms...

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls are the only ones that come to mind.

Amir0x said:
I don't fake my likes and dislikes or change by the whims of a corporation. I'm not a fanboy. Might be difficult to understand the mind of someone who is not a fanboy, considering who you are.

I urge people to take note. I have been recently humbled by Amirox, due to the fact that after a few rounds of SSF4 3D, I turned the 3D off.

I love the 3D effect, and it works wonders for some games, but it's a distraction when you're playing an intense game where the system inevitably shifts in your hands.

He's still wrong about NMH though : p

Amir0x said:
i don't like being accused of hypocrisy. I certainly didn't see a wink or anything.

I've only been posting here for five years and have been involved in countless arguments/debates/agreeances with you. I just assumed by now you'd recognize when I was having a little joke.

And no, no hyprocrisy.

I find the idea of me being a fanboy laughable, but hey, that's your opinion.

Ecotic

I'm going to be very blunt; I hope Nintendo's strategy with the Wii successor is a complete 180 from how they handled the Wii. The Wii left such a horrible taste in my mouth, from the way they cobbled together ancient technology and sold it as new, to the lousy software emphasis (Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Fit) and especially Nintendo's continued use of extremely played-out core franchises (as usual, it's Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid for all eternity).

Nintendo has felt like America Online of the 90's for the past 6 years, making truckloads of money by fooling the lowest common denominator and presenting the mirage of earned success. I remember walking into a Gamestop in 2009 and seeing mountains of New Super Mario Bros. Wii copies ready to be sold for Christmas and thinking of just how bad Nintendo's penny-penching corporate culture had become. That game was literally like the cheapest, least imaginative, and most cost-effective way of making lots money with very little investment - just take the successful DS game, use the same established artwork and everything, make some new levels, and then watch the millions come in.

Mortrialus said:
I wonder how they intend to deal with the exploding cost of graphics with a machine that (Supposedly) powerful. Do they intend to use the system as much as they can, graphically or is it essentially there to have a nice, high ceiling?

I still really hope that the system is very online-lite. Seriously, online fucked over the XBox360 and PS3 to the point of just being awful for players like me who just want solid single player based games. Perhaps thats why we're seeing smaller games, indie games and apps explode. Aside from being able to buy entire downloadable games, online has just bet a complete negative on this generation as far as consoles are concerned. I don't know why consoles have this problem while PCs don't.

I don't mind motion controls. When used intelligently they really bring a nice element to the game, ala Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes, Red Steel 2. Because of that, the Wii has been the last bastion of hope for me. If Nintendo dives headfirst into online without doing anything to correct the PS3 and XBox360's bullshit I'm done with consoles.

That would be a pretty dumb move by Nintendo, but then again I expected them to make the 3DS online pretty robust.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I've only been posting here for five years and have been involved in countless arguments/debates/agreeances with you. I just assumed by now you'd recognize when I was having a little joke.

And no, no hyprocrisy.

Dude, I never remember you joking around with me before. Just know my pet peeves are being called a liar and being called a hypocrite, and just throw winks in your posts if you're going to accuse me of either! ;)

Nizz

Exciting times when a new console is on the horizon. :) Is it safe to guess PS4/X-Box 720 will probably hit a year after?

Nessus

OG_Original Gamer said:
There will certainly be movie playback on Wii2 from Blu-Ray and Netflix, but one major question is storage space. Could Nintendo go for SSD 1.5 or 2, at a 128gb. Talk about nearly zero load times. I doubt they'll go with SSD, but a brotha can dream.

They probably will go with SSD but it will be far less than you're hoping for.

At absolute best we'll get 16 gigs.

I bought a launch day Wii and it's sat there for a couple of years without being turned on. I even gave up having it check the messages and such.

Won't be fooled again. I'm going to wait at least a year until the new Nintendo system is out unless there are some stellar launch window titles.

Nessus said:
30-40GB would seem like a logical place to me. If they can go SSD and some sort of modified SD cart for the games, I'll be over the moon. Hated optical discs for gaming ever since their inception.

Amir0x

Banned
Relix said:
GCN was fucking amazing. Wtf?

Yup. Gonna repost amazing days

41GFKKDBD3L._AA280_.jpg

zerogx_072303_x2.jpg

F-Zero GX - Arguably the greatest racing game ever made. The difficulty level is honed to perfection as you fight for every milisecond of time, every microscopic inch of space on the track in order to master the game. Unbelievable sense of speed and last second finishes create an adrenaline rush unlike any other.

pikmin-2-20040602105535387.jpg

Pikmin 2 - The epitome of how to improve with a sequel. Every last aspect of this game changes what was a heavily flawed original into a ****ing brilliant, generation defining event. And with a great 2player mode and a challenge mode, the replay value is great as well. I still pop it in occasionally, if only to hear the soothing soundtrack.

fire-emblem-path-of-radiance-20050923024643960.jpg

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - The classic strategy RPG series comes to the Gamecube in all its glory. I say 'glory' relating to its gameplay - although its graphics and presentation can use work, it has near unparalleled gameplay and can provide many many hours of enjoyment. Even if you're not a big fan of the genre, give it a shot.

paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-20041007013520449.jpg

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Containing what has to be one of the all time greatest game translations, here's a sweet, genuinely funny RPG which uses the Mario universe to provide all sorts of fanservice and in-jokes that will have anybody with a little bit of gaming experience under their belts in stitches. The gameplay also suppliments this with a simple, yet effective combat system which requires some participation to become the best. With an audience too!

primeugenegc11.jpg

Metroid Prime - There are haters for the game, but as a series regardless of how well you think it fits Metroid it is a phenomenal title. Utilizing several innovations - from the visor to the unique way the game handles platforming in first person, this title is a real experience. The visual style is distinctive and pulled off extremely well considering the hardware - it's one of the best from this gen.

mariosunshine_082002_14.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine - The ultimate vacation game. Mario's acrobatics are at an all time high here, and it results in one of the most purely fun gaming experiences from the past generation. There are some who complain about the variety, and I'd say it is a problem for some... but I found it to be extremely refreshing to see multiple angles on this beautiful island. The FLUDD-less segments that come in now and then are extremely gratifying and some of the best platforming of any 3D game made.

zedlausfinaleng5.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Recently I replayed Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask back to back and then went on to WW. I was pretty down that I saved this for last as I always remembered those two games being much more enjoyable. Boy, nostalgia sure is a bite in the ass. Wind Waker is so much better then these games - a hundred times more fluid, it doesn't feel sluggish, graphics that don't rape your eyes, and controls improved in every conceivable part of the game. It falls back, of course, in dungeon design and amount of dungeons... but in the end, the sum of its part is a game that looks better, sounds better and controls better and that wins for me personally. It's also one of the most beautiful games ever made, with an artstyle so fully realized it could be considered a substantial leap for storytelling in videogames.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-version-20060607043209083.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Gamecube edition, undebatably the superior version of the game and worthy of all the sales (even though Nintendo raped its chances), is really a joy from start to end. Siren song of OLD NINTENDO... and I pretty much can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

Nessus said:
They probably will go with SSD but it will be far less than you're hoping for.

No.
No SSDs please.
They run out too quickly for gaming.
They'll likely go with BluRay.

evolution

Im looking forward to this, The wii is by far nintendo's worse console, they can only get better from here. Convincing more 3rd parties to put the in effort along with their software will do wonders

Blablurn

purple cobra said:
Exciting times when a new console is on the horizon. :) Is it safe to guess PS4/X-Box 720 will probably hit a year after?

at this point, nothing is safe... at least thats what i'm thinking

-Eddman-

I want to board the hype train, but knowing Nintendo, they won't discuss any specs or technical stuff if the console is announced at E3. I actually expect something like "we are working in the Wii successor, it will change everything you know; expect more news soon".

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ecotic said:
That game was literally like the cheapest, least imaginative, and most cost-effective way of making lots money with very little investment - just take the successful DS game, use the same established artwork and everything, make some new levels, and then watch the millions come in.
While it most certainly could've been more, and I agree the artstyle was lazy (imo) it's not that simplified as you make it out to be

edit, although money most probably was Nintendo's first thought upon making that game yeah

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
i don't like being accused of hypocrisy. I certainly didn't see a wink or anything. And you have vehemently defended Nintendo's absurd choices in the past. It's only natural for me to assume you're serious.

Out of curiousity, what would be these "absurd choices"? I'm guessing
Hoping
you're not going to say something like touch screen, motion control, or *gasp* the Wii in general?

HYDE

Banned
Mortrialus said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls are the only ones that come to mind.

Uncharted 2 is absolutely amazing.... not to mention handfuls of others.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
_Alkaline_ said:

And no, no hyprocrisy.

I find the idea of me being a fanboy laughable, but hey, that's your opinion.
With no avatar nobody knows anyone.

Neiteio

If they want to recapture the hardcore...

- Buy back Rare and every person who ever left Rare, recapture The Magic and have a new Blast Corps, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini and true Banjo-Threeie ready for launch. Or a high-def DKC2. Or both.

- Team up with Level 5 and Studio Ghibli to make a gorgeously cel-shaded threequel to Star Tropics.

- No, wait, have them make a cel-shaded Mother Quadrilogy instead -- yeah, Mother 1, 2, 3 and an all-new 4. Available in Western territories, Day One.

- Oh fuck it, both Star Tropics III and Mother Quadrilogy. But their cutscenes should be Miyazaki-made and when spliced together constitute his latest two films.

- Remake Tetrisphere and Wetrix and release them as Wetrixsphere. Hrm, actually, that'd be better on 3DS, what with spheres, landscaping, etc.

- Collaborate with Platinum Games for a Kamiya-directed Sheik spin-off. Set on Koholint Island. With a lesbian Saria makeout scene. Or throw in Malon for a threesome.

- Give us a full-fledged Bower adventure game, with the seven Koopalings playable. Finally reveal that their mother is SMB2's Wart, making him relevant again in the most perverse way possible.

- Give us another Pilotwings, with a map called Little Nations -- like Little States from PW64, but parodies of landmarks the world over (Eiffel Tower, Great Pyramids, etc). Also bring back the Jumble Hopper but give them those Nike Air Pumps. Hopefully the controller is squishy for realistic pumping action.

- Unveil a new Legend of Zelda with graphics the spitting image of Katsuya Terada's NES-era promo work. Make it hardcore difficult and completely open-ended and all ye olde medieval.

- Release a new F-Zero that runs at 120 fps in 1080p with 4x MSAA and 60 players online, with vehicle and track editor, and a story sequence where Captain Falcon knees someone it rips a hole in the fabric of space-time, unleashing ectoplasmic Cthulhu-like deities from the other side that must be Falcon Punched back to hell.

I think it's fairly reasonable to assume they're making all of the above if they're trying to recapture the hardcore market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom