• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wichu said:
I suspect that 'no face buttons' is real. They could be using haptics in the screen (basically a more advanced rumble feature) to simulate the feeling of pressing a button; in fact, haptics can even simulate the tactile feeling of a bump in the surface of the screen. After the DS and Wii, I think it's totally realistic for them to do something like this.

I've thought of this as well.

It would still be pointer-friendly as it'll all just be a screen in pretty much a Wiimote shape I'd assume, and it won't be like the iPhone as your hands aren't obscuring the actual action, AND you'll actually be feeling the presses like buttons, so you won't have to worry about slipping your fingers during concentrated action.

And hopefully the Nunchuk will return, god bless Retro for approaching Nintendo with that idea.

But I'm sure the Wiimote and it's own classic controller (hell, maybe even the GC will get a 3rd wind) will be an option if all else "fails".

entremet

Bad_Boy said:
Feels very 2006. This is like saying the Wii will be more powerful than a PS2 and reinvent the controller.
Not really. The Wii chipset was basically the Cube's with more RAM. This is a generational leap in hardware for Nintendo at least.

awa64

Banned
Zeliard said:
First Gamecube was purple'ish

In the United States, the Gamecube was available in two colors at launch: "Indigo" and "Jet Black." In Japan, both of those were available as well as a third color, "Spice." "Indigo" was featured in most of the system's advertising. Later, the Gamecube was also available in "Platinum," first as a limited edition but eventually made permanent.

</pedantic a-hole>

Bentendo

Wichu said:
I suspect that 'no face buttons' is real. They could be using haptics in the screen (basically a more advanced rumble feature) to simulate the feeling of pressing a button; in fact, haptics can even simulate the tactile feeling of a bump in the surface of the screen. After the DS and Wii, I think it's totally realistic for them to do something like this.

That would be okay, but if they were to do this they would NEED to have something to grip onto. A controller the shape of the Wii Remote would not work well, but something like the 360 controller would. I'm still not totally convinced that the illusion of clicking a button would feel as nice as actually pushing a button though.

Mithos

Gold Member
Bentendo said:
When it comes to the specs of systems I'm terrible, so don't laugh: what is the RAM of the 360 and PS3?

360: 512mb shared
PS3: 256 + 256mb

If i remember correctly

illadelph said:
I definitely bought a black Gamecube on launch day..... I have no idea why Nintendo marketed the indigo system almost exclusively to the point that some people didn't even know there was black available

I was pissed that the US never got the orange "spice" color though

I read somewhere that Yamauchi wanted purple.

Zeliard

entrement said:
Mock ups are the worse things that come out of new hardware speculation. They are always horrible and amateurish.

Are you not a fan of Jocchan's fabulous design?

Jocchan said:
Like this?

hIWh7.jpg

If nothing else, it looks like it'll make a mean cup of joe.

illadelph said:
I definitely bought a black Gamecube on launch day..... I have no idea why Nintendo marketed the indigo system almost exclusively to the point that some people didn't even know there was black available

I was pissed that the US never got the orange "spice" color though

I had the hot indigo Gamecube. I liked it because I virtually always get black electronics and it felt sort of unique, especially also given its shape and size.

Bentendo said:
When it comes to the specs of systems I'm terrible, so don't laugh: what is the RAM of the 360 and PS3?

PS3 has 512 total - it's split (256 going to the RSX) - and 360 has 512 shared.

awa64 said:
In the United States, the Gamecube was available in two colors at launch: "Indigo" and "Jet Black." In Japan, both of those were available as well as a third color, "Spice." "Indigo" was featured in most of the system's advertising. Later, the Gamecube was also available in "Platinum," first as a limited edition but eventually made permanent.

</pedantic a-hole>

I stand corrected. :p I didn't grab a Gamecube till a bit later on.

Bentendo

Hero of Legend said:
I've thought of this as well.

It would still be pointer-friendly as it'll all just be a screen in pretty much a Wiimote shape I'd assume, and it won't be like the iPhone as your hands aren't obscuring the actual action, AND you'll actually be feeling the presses like buttons, so you won't have to worry about slipping your fingers during concentrated action.

And hopefully the Nunchuk will return, god bless Retro for approaching Nintendo with that idea.

But I'm sure the Wiimote and it's own classic controller (hell, maybe even the GC will get a 3rd wind) will be an option if all else "fails".

Wait wait wait. Back up. The Nunchuk was Retro's idea? 0_o is there a source for this?

Emitan

Anth0ny said:
Well that sounds fucking awful. I really don't want to play 360 games with a touch tablet controller. Fuck that shit. Even the Wii remote at least had actual buttons.

That shit better be optional, if it's true.
Did you even read the post you quoted?
controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.

faridmon

Speaking of the continue line of Wii not having games in the upcoming months, are they going to release Last Story? Is there an official announcment?

Hero of Legend said:
It would still be pointer-friendly as it'll all just be a screen in pretty much a Wiimote shape I'd assume

gofreak suggested this as well, but looking again at the 01net article, they explicitly suggest it is a touch tablet, and explicitly make a comparison to the iPad regarding the visuals it can do... that doesn't have me thinking Wii-mote form factor.

I still think the 01net rumour is way off. I think someone they may trust may have gone to them with what he/she has heard, but it doesn't fit with the other things we're hearing (posted in the OP), a lot of it doesn't make sense, you can't picture what they are describing as a cohesive, backwards compatible system that is "not a gimmick".

I think particular aspects of that rumour-set are going to be put to bed as false pretty soon tbh.

I can't wait for more news / rumours either way...

Zeliard

Billychu said:
Did you even read the post you quoted?

Though without it noting analog sticks or any sort of directional movement beyond a d-pad, one wonders how that'll work exactly. Unless it's going to be another "one controller in each hand" deal like with the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Vanille

Faxanadu said:
Try harder then, sir. You might also want to apply the same kind of time it took you to learn about 3D stereoscopic displays to socialization skills. Add something to the conversation instead of acting like a jerk when you're baffled.

Wow, seriously? You might want to take a second to re-read your posts. You make an unfounded remark about 3D technology, I decide to challenge you on it, and instead of providing exposition and examples to back up your initial remark, you reply with the mentality of a 5 year old with an ever so tactful "get an imagination lolol" cop-out. Who's acting like a jerk again?

Emitan

faridmon said:
Speaking of the continue line of Wii not having games in the upcoming months, are they going to release Last Story? Is there an official announcment?
NOA registered a website related to it.

Zeliard said:
Though without it noting analog sticks or any sort of directional movement beyond a d-pad, one wonders how that'll work exactly. Unless it's going to be another "one controller in each hand" deal like with the Wiimote and Nunchuk.
D-Pad is all I need!

mclem

apana said:
It's really hard to make the case that Nintendo needs more than PS3 level power. Even 3D Mario basically looks good right now. Zelda is the only one that really needs it and PS3 will be just right. Think about Last Guardian and God of War 3, the next Zelda needs to surpass that standard? A Rockstar studio or Sony first party, sure they can always use more power.

I think the point is that *Nintendo* doesn't need that power, but third parties think that they do. The challenge for Nintendo is to pitch the system's capabilities - and third-party acceptance - at a point where it *dictates* the power demands for the next generation. It won't matter if the PS4 can render Toy Story in real time if all the games are going to be upports from Nintendo's system. The PS2 pretty much dictated what the majority of third parties were building to last generation, even though the GC and Xbox were more powerful; similarly, the 360 is dictating the pace for this one, despite the PS3 having more potential. If the next Nintendo system can fill that role in the upcoming generation, they're laughing no matter what the other two do.

If Nintendo's system is too weak, it'll get upports from the PS3 and 360, but when the followups to those come out, it'll look weak, and be left in the dust. If it's too powerful, it'll be priced out of the market. One possibility - although it goes heavily against what Nintendo have done in the past - would be to sell the system *far* below cost to make, to compete on price from the outset while having the power - but that's so against their usual MO, it feels unlikely.

One other factor is that it might be rash to assume that Sony and Microsoft are going to go for big leaps, too. I think Sony, in particular, are very aware that the amount of tech in the PS3 meant that it was priced way too high for the first few years; a suitably large generational leap over the PS3 could result in similar costs, and they may not be able to rationalise that (or was it *just* the blu-ray drive? I doubt it, somewhat). Microsoft are a bit more comfortable with having space to develop into, but Kinect is more expensive than Move, so Xbox owners may have a bit of a "What, a several hundred dollar upgrade *again*? I did one just a few years ago" sticker-shock type moment.

Nintendo has to be making their new controller with USB charging in mind, right? I can't imagine them opting to go with batteries for an LCD remote.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Chuck said:
Nintendo has to be making their new controller with USB charging in mind, right? I can't imagine them opting to go with batteries for an LCD remote.

Yeah without a doubt. not big on the idea of a 6 inch screen, though I hope developers start putting some, if not all, of the HUD on the screen.

faridmon

Billychu said:
NOA registered a website related to it.
How much does that tell us? That it is coming?

If yes, then Screw you all for Saying teh Wii has no games this year. Last Story, Xenoblade and Zelda is all I need.

Dabanton

Well hasn't this thread turned slightly sour..

I'm really not expecting a powerhouse console it goes against everything Nintendo has shown worked with the Wii.

Or maybe Nintendo has gone mad and thinks going all out to win back the 'hardcore' is worth it.

Bentendo said:
Wait wait wait. Back up. The Nunchuk was Retro's idea? 0_o is there a source for this?

I'm trying to find it, seemingly it was done because without it, you couldn't play MP3.

I remember seeing a post about it or the actual interview, the above was from wiki pages, but like I said, I recognize it.

awa64 said:

</pedantic a-hole>

You lie! Only Indigo was available at launch in Japan.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez, what in the hell could they be planning.

This all sounds so nuts but so cool at the same time. Hopefully we'll see some stuff at E3.

Myriadis

I myself believe that,if there is a touchscreen on the controller,it would look like the GBA or the NGP.This design works fantastically and there's still enough room for buttons and all that stuff.

Emitan

phalestine said:
Yeah without a doubt. not big on the idea of a 6 inch screen, though I hope developers start putting some, if not all, of the HUD on the screen.
How often do you look at your controller? I want the essentials on screen. Health at the very least.

EDIT: It really depends on the game though. Zelda could work with everything on the controller because it's not a fast paced game.

radioheadrule83 said:
gofreak suggested this as well, but looking again at the 01net article, they explicitly suggest it is a touch tablet, and explicitly make a comparison to the iPad regarding the visuals it can do... that doesn't have me thinking Wii-mote form factor.

I still think the 01net rumour is way off. I think someone they may trust may have gone to them with what he/she has heard, but it doesn't fit with the other things we're hearing (posted in the OP), a lot of it doesn't make sense, you can't picture what they are describing as a cohesive, backwards compatible system that is "not a gimmick".

I think particular aspects of that rumour-set are going to be put to bed as false pretty soon tbh.

I can't wait for more news / rumours either way...

But one site said it's more pointer-accurate than the Move didn't it? That'd be whacked with a tablet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TekkenMaster said:
Fuck Nintendo if it's "slightly more powerful than a 360" or less in 2012. It will be the first Nintendo console I will ever skip.

I won't skip it, but I pretty much agree that the power is disappointing. Who wants ports of 360 games in 2012 through 2016?

Bentendo

Hero of Legend said:
I'm trying to find it, seemingly it was done because without it, you couldn't play MP3.

I remember seeing a post about it or the actual interview, the above was from wiki pages, but like I said, I recognize it.

Don't worry, I found a source. That's amazing. :D

Hero of Legend said:
But one site said it's more pointer-accurate than the Move didn't it? That'd be whacked with a tablet.

Motion-accurate yeah... that's another reason the 01net rumour doesn't quite fit in with all the others.

I just hope they manage to keep the costs down. A 6 inch capacitive screen can run up the cost (a Nook Color costs 250) and a french site seems to think it will have a Blu-ray drive. Probably gonna cost more than the 3DS regardless so we are looking at 299-350 at least.

mclem said:
I think the point is that *Nintendo* doesn't need that power, but third parties think that they do. The challenge for Nintendo is to pitch the system's capabilities - and third-party acceptance - at a point where it *dictates* the power demands for the next generation. It won't matter if the PS4 can render Toy Story in real time if all the games are going to be upports from Nintendo's system. The PS2 pretty much dictated what the majority of third parties were building to last generation, even though the GC and Xbox were more powerful; similarly, the 360 is dictating the pace for this one, despite the PS3 having more potential. If the next Nintendo system can fill that role in the upcoming generation, they're laughing no matter what the other two do.

If Nintendo's system is too weak, it'll get upports from the PS3 and 360, but when the followups to those come out, it'll look weak, and be left in the dust. If it's too powerful, it'll be priced out of the market. One possibility - although it goes heavily against what Nintendo have done in the past - would be to sell the system *far* below cost to make, to compete on price from the outset while having the power - but that's so against their usual MO, it feels unlikely.

One other factor is that it might be rash to assume that Sony and Microsoft are going to go for big leaps, too. I think Sony, in particular, are very aware that the amount of tech in the PS3 meant that it was priced way too high for the first few years; a suitably large generational leap over the PS3 could result in similar costs, and they may not be able to rationalise that (or was it *just* the blu-ray drive? I doubt it, somewhat). Microsoft are a bit more comfortable with having space to develop into, but Kinect is more expensive than Move, so Xbox owners may have a bit of a "What, a several hundred dollar upgrade *again*? I did one just a few years ago" sticker-shock type moment.

You get it. Cool. I see so much twisty logic among our membership with regards to Nintendo.

Emitan

Is there a reason why people are speculating the controller will resemble a Wii Remote? It's supposedly backwards compatible with Wii Remotes, so why design your controller around it just for BC's sake when the person who wants to play a Wii game most likely owns a Wii controller?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
radioheadrule83 said:
gofreak suggested this as well, but looking again at the 01net article, they explicitly suggest it is a touch tablet, and explicitly make a comparison to the iPad regarding the visuals it can do...

They may a comparison to iPad in terms of 'quality of manufacturing' but don't really compare in terms of performance. They just talk about 'modest' performance and 'limited' performance but don't compare that relative to anything else. They're not even sure it'll operate independently of the console, suggesting (imo) it might not actually have its own processing innards. Dunno though, it's all a bit vague there.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Billychu said:
How often do you look at your controller? I want the essentials on screen. Health at the very least.

EDIT: It really depends on the game though. Zelda could work with everything on the controller because it's not a fast paced game.

Yeah I was thinking of Zelda. Like having the map and the items on the screen. Definitely would not work with fighting games.

Eversynth

commish said:
I won't skip it, but I pretty much agree that the power is disappointing. Who wants ports of 360 games in 2012 through 2016?
As if, with a new omgpowerful console on the market the developers would ignore a big, established base of HD consoles (PS3, xbox360) users.... *rolleyes*
Also, as if they wouldn't port the same games to PS3 and Xbox360 even if the wii was more powerful....
They could try to make the games as much *unportable* as possible by using a new control method. (Also, Mario and Zelda and Pokemon.)
But the point is: developers aren't going to simply abandon the other 2 platforms...

I don't really know about haptics, could someone expain it to me? Because I just cannot buy the no face buttons deal. Very un-Nintendo.

Hell, if they did a pure touch screen deal we would be looking at a similar product to the ipad (at least for the controller itself).

Maybe it will be one of those Samsung/LG transparent LCDs. I can't think of any application but a lot of engadget posters seemed quite enamored for some reason and at least it would look cool.

Billychu said:
Is there a reason why people are speculating the controller will resemble a Wii Remote? It's supposedly backwards compatible with Wii Remotes, so why design your controller around it just for BC's sake when the person who wants to play a Wii game most likely owns a Wii controller?

This is true. And the Wii also could use Gamecube controllers.

I think the controller will end up looking alot like the Wii's classic controller with a screen stretched across the middle. All those fearing a Wii-mote only future will rejoice.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I don't really know about haptics, could someone expain it to me? Because I just cannot buy the no face buttons deal. Very un-Nintendo.

Hell, if they did a pure touch screen deal we would be looking at a similar product to the ipad (at least for the controller itself).

haptic is the sense of touch. with touchscreens, it's either vibrating when touching something on the screen or replecating textures on the screen itself dispite being flat

Anth0ny

Eversynth said:
As if, with a new omgpowerful console on the market the developers would ignore a big, established base of HD consoles (PS3, xbox360) users.... *rolleyes*
Also, as if they wouldn't port the same games to PS3 and Xbox360 even if the wii was more powerful....
They could try to make the games as much *unportable* as possible by using a new control method. (Also, Mario and Zelda and Pokemon.)
But the point is: developers aren't going to simply abandon the other 2 platforms...

But when PS4 and 720 roll around, Wii 2 is back in the same position as Wii 1. That's why it's so fucked up if it's just a Nintendo 360... they'd be making the same mistake they made last gen, at least from the perspective of third parties.

I'll say it again: this thing needs to be a PS2 to Sony and Microsoft's Gamecube and Xbox. Weaker, but still capable of releasing anything from those other consoles with minimal downgrades.

entrement said:
Not really. The Wii chipset was basically the Cube's with more RAM. This is a generational leap in hardware for Nintendo at least.
The problem is that it needs to be a generation above xbox360/ps3 so it can atleast be somewhat comparable to what MS/Sony will bring out next. This could be huge risk for Nintendo if the system is too weak. However, who knows.

Anth0ny said:
But when PS4 and 720 roll around, Wii 2 is back in the same position as Wii 1. That's why it's so fucked up if it's just a Nintendo 360... they'd be making the same mistake they made last gen, at least from the perspective of third parties.

I'll say it again: this thing needs to be a PS2 to Sony and Microsoft's Gamecube and Xbox. Weaker, but still capable of releasing anything from those other consoles with minimal downgrades.
I agree.

Where's this no face button rumour coming from? The French site said it had other buttons besides shoulder buttons.

Billychu said:

Yep, definitely worth bearing in mind.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: timing. I tend to believe the late 2012 timeline, at least for the West. I do think it is possible we see a Spring/Q1/Q2 2012 launch in Japan. Wii in Japan has been doing terribly for much longer and 3rd party development dropped off much quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom