• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
blizzardjesus said:
I just mocked these up... Imagine if this was the controller.

or, Since people love dual analog for some reason.

2vtpt82.jpg

I'd actually be ok with this the more i look at it but it seems highly unlikely imo.

the more i think about this the more i love it, with actually analog sticks and bigger face buttons it could be great and basically open up the capabilities i wanted when i thought of the screen on controller rumor. but this designs similarity to simply a handheld device would deter nintendo from using such a design, maybe if it was basically this but more SNES controller like then it'd be awesome.

Instro

Im not going to put any stock in these most recent rumors. A random site having relatively detailed knowledge of the specs seems pretty unlikely this early on.

Also a 6 inch screen on the controller makes no sense.

Xun

Anth0ny said:
But when PS4 and 720 roll around, Wii 2 is back in the same position as Wii 1. That's why it's so fucked up if it's just a Nintendo 360... they'd be making the same mistake they made last gen, at least from the perspective of third parties.

I'll say it again: this thing needs to be a PS2 to Sony and Microsoft's Gamecube and Xbox. Weaker, but still capable of releasing anything from those other consoles with minimal downgrades.
Definitely.

Vinci

Danish
For those who know more about hardware: If Nintendo were to piece together a system and price it for $299 (perhaps even taking a slight loss), what sort of components might we be looking at? And given they were to make that, would it be hopelessly outdated if MS and Sony come out upwards of two years later and also take a slight loss on their hardware?

'Cause from the PC realm, it seems as if the drive for more and more powerful hardware has been largely unnecessary compared to the amount of software designed to take advantage of it. I mean, old systems (by today's standards) can run Crysis decently well.

I just caught up and read the 01net "leak".

There's no way a touchscreen is the primary method of control if it's single touch, so I'm heavily doubting that story. It's not inconceivable they're playing the "same source as NGP leak" to generate some traffic. A gigantic touchscreen would screw up awesome pointer controls.

I WOULD like to see a variation on one of the items though - the CONSOLE ITSELF being the camera/sensor bar, and providing a little click and drag calibration tool in the OS to tell the system where it's positioned relative to your TV .

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Eversynth said:
They could try to make the games as much *unportable* as possible by using a new control method. (Also, Mario and Zelda and Pokemon.)
Because that worked out so well for 3rd party support on Wii.

atbigelow

It's innovative to use touch screen controls to slow down game input and take your attention away from the TV!

No way in hell would I bite for this if they take away precious buttons for a touch screen. Phone and tablet gaming is absolute garbage due to lacking any good way to control them.

neptunes

Vinci said:
For those who know more about hardware: If Nintendo were to piece together a system and price it for $299 (perhaps even taking a slight loss), what sort of components might we be looking at? And given they were to make that, would it be hopelessly outdated if MS and Sony come out upwards of two years later and also take a slight loss on their hardware?

'Cause from the PC realm, it seems as if the drive for more and more powerful hardware has been largely unnecessary compared to the amount of software designed to take advantage of it. I mean, old systems (by today's standards) can run Crysis decently well.
When has Nintendo taken any form of loss on any hardware (handheld or console) EVER? haha

PKrockin

atbigelow said:
No way in hell would I bite for this if they take away precious buttons for a touch screen. Phone and tablet gaming is absolute garbage due to lacking any good way to control them.

Yep.

Virtual buttons, even with rumble, don't compare to real buttons.

Vinci

Danish
neptunes said:
When has Nintendo taken any form of loss on any hardware (handheld or console) EVER? haha

When has Nintendo very aggressively pursued the Western gamer market in the last decade?

EDIT: And if I recall correctly, Nintendo took a slight loss on the GameCube at its launch.

Reading the op sure was a rollercoaster of thoughts...

'way more powerful than ps360' 'even more powerful than the 360 or ps3 (cringe) , ''unclear wether it will be more or less powerful"

Misleading topic title is misleading.

RedSwirl

mclem said:
I think the point is that *Nintendo* doesn't need that power, but third parties think that they do. The challenge for Nintendo is to pitch the system's capabilities - and third-party acceptance - at a point where it *dictates* the power demands for the next generation. It won't matter if the PS4 can render Toy Story in real time if all the games are going to be upports from Nintendo's system. The PS2 pretty much dictated what the majority of third parties were building to last generation, even though the GC and Xbox were more powerful; similarly, the 360 is dictating the pace for this one, despite the PS3 having more potential. If the next Nintendo system can fill that role in the upcoming generation, they're laughing no matter what the other two do.

This right here should probably be Nintendo's objective along with convincing the Wii's mass market audience to transition over.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Now I can hope that DQX will have a mode to take advantage of the Wii2 horsepower... would be fucking incredible. Hopefully Monolith has something at launch too, imagine a Wii 2 with Baten Kaitos 3 at launch, how many of you would not buy that thing day 1?

neptunes

mclem said:
Didn't they take a small one on the Gamecube at launch?

I remember reading that they were operating on razor thin profit margins for the Gamecube (basically breaking even) and look how that system turned out.

Vinci

Danish
neptunes said:
I remember reading that they were operating on razor thin profit margins for the Gamecube (basically breaking even) and look how that system turned out.

At any rate, they were selling it at a loss when they dropped it to $99. So they have sold hardware at a loss before - and if they're wanting to get the 3rd parties onboard, they're going to have to probably take another to get their attention.

Anybody else think Nintendo may try the "third pillar" strategy with their new console? Maybe market their new console as the one for "core" gamers and say that they're going to continue to support the Wii for the casual crowd.

Of course if their new console sells a ton they'll abandon the Wii just as they did with the GBA.

NewFresh

Vinci said:
At any rate, they were selling it at a loss when they dropped it to $99. So they have sold hardware at a loss before - and if they're wanting to get the 3rd parties onboard, they're going to have to probably take another to get their attention.

I have a hard time believing that they would want to go or that. Their trend has been to sell with a decent margin of profit. But I guess that the pursuit of a higher end console and decent 3rd party support could change their minds

brochiller said:
Anybody else think Nintendo may try the "third pillar" strategy with their new console? Maybe market their new console as the one for "core" gamers and say that they're going to continue to support the Wii for the casual crowd.

Of course if their new console sells a ton they'll abandon the Wii just as they did with the GBA.

wii sales are going down and they surely arent showing support for it now let alone for 2012 and unlike gba they don't have dozens of third parties still releasing stuff .

brochiller said:

Considering the terms core and casual are bullshit, I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying here.

Nolan.

I think Nintendo might actually have it right this time if it does turn out to be only a little more powerful than current HD systems. Their pricing for one would be pretty attractive by comparison, plus devs won't have to take quite as long to get to grips with it (hopefully). I might actually end up jumping on the Nintendo wagon again if it turns out as good as it sounds, them being less gimmicky is a good thing imo.

NeonZ

brochiller said:

They're hardly supporting the Wii as it is right now. Aside from that, most of their remaining titles for it seem to be mostly core ones. I don't think there's much space for something like that.

romeolovesyou

Neo Member
2012 feels a little too late to make a real impact, unless Nintendo really go for broke with the specs in appeasing a more hardcore audience. Having a new console in 2011 running the likes of Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and a new COD, all at 1080p/60fps+ could have wrapped up that market in one foul swoop. I know I'm chomping at the bit to jump aboard the next gen express.

A mere slight upgrade from the PS3/360 in 2012 isn't going to cut it without some major hook (along the lines of the Wiimote) if they want to replicate the sales of the Wii, especially if Microsoft and Sony show off the 720/PS4 at next year's E3.

Day one regardless of anything mind lol.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Saint Gregory said:
I haven't made it through the entire thread but has anyone explained this part yet?

The article says that a sensor 'corresponding to the sensor bar' is incorporated in the controller.

If true/accurate, that could mean a couple of things but the article isn't clear on what exactly. Perhaps that there's some sensor setup that renders the sensor bar redundant, or that beacons tracked from another point are included in the controller (instead of the controller tracking them on a sensor bar, as in Wii).

Vinci

Danish
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I have a hard time believing that they would want to go or that. Their trend has been to sell with a decent margin of profit. But I guess that the pursuit of a higher end console and decent 3rd party support could change their minds

Believe me, I know Nintendo's general operating procedure is to make a profit on everything they sell. But for this goal? They might have to be a bit more flexible. The Western 3rd parties really, really do not like working with Nintendo.

gofreak said:
The article says that a sensor 'corresponding to the sensor bar' is incorporated in the controller.

If true/accurate, that could mean a couple of things but the article isn't clear on what exactly. Perhaps that there's some sensor setup that renders the sensor bar redundant, or that beacons tracked from another point are included in the controller (instead of the controller tracking them on a sensor bar, as in Wii).

Yeah that part could mean anything really, the new system wouldn't necessarily have to be optical.

Matt

neptunes said:
Nope, Nintendo was loosing between $20-$30 on each GameCube at launch.

This is bad news in my opinion, if the rumors are true. What the hell happened to Disruption and the Blue Ocean strategy? The response to the 3DS, seems to indicate that Nintendo forgot what made the Wii and DS so successful in the first place. But I REALLY hope I'm wrong on that. I just can't shake off this bad feeling I've got.

This is all just speculation though. We'll just have to see huh?

robor

Nolan. said:
I think Nintendo might actually have it right this time if it does turn out to be only a little more powerful than current HD systems. Their pricing for one would be pretty attractive by comparison, plus devs won't have to take quite as long to get to grips with it (hopefully). I might actually end up jumping on the Nintendo wagon again if it turns out as good as it sounds, them being less gimmicky is a good thing imo.

It's the best thing about Nintendo.

Luckydude23 said:
This is bad news in my opinion, if the rumors are true. What the hell happened to Disruption and the Blue Ocean strategy? The response to the 3DS, seems to indicate that Nintendo forgot what made the Wii and DS so successful in the first place. But I REALLY hope I'm wrong on that. I just can't shake off this bad feeling I've got.

This is all just speculation though. We'll just have to see huh?

obviously with the touch screen controller they are trying to do something new and different relative to other game consoles, beyond that did you expect them to not upgrade themselves technically/graphically?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cosmonaut X said:
The problem I have with the rumoured specs above is simple:

On the one hand, we have anonymous sources talking about "Nintendo doing it right" and "no gimmicks". On the other, we have a site saying that this thing is basically going to be an Xbox 360+ with a fucking tablet controller.

I don't see how the two stances can co-exist.

Is it at all possible that - just as with early rumours about Tegra for the 3DS - there have been several prototypes floating about, and that some up-to-date sources have the most recent or final kit, while others are still talking about something being mooted last year or earlier?

This is a good post. If there are quotes from developers saying "no gimmick" there's no way it's a pure tablet controller. It makes no sense.

That said, the "Slightly greater power than a 360" is an interesting statement that GAF, naturally, is putting way too much emphasis on for two reasons:

1) Nintendo did the same thing with graphics this generation and won handily. Just because they've had 1 year of bad sales doesn't negate the fact that they had more than 3 years of insane sales.

2) Graphics are at a level now on PS3 and Xbox 360 where I think I'm pretty safe saying that most people outside of GAF couldn't care less. Will it be "outdated" technologically? Absolutely--but at that level of graphical power it's negligible at best.

Also, a release a YEAR ahead of time with a slightly more powerful console is a gigantic benefit.

On the other side, somebody earlier was dead-on about the third-party perception. They've got to convince them to make some decent games for this thing. I don't think Nintendo can get away with another Wii-type situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom