• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored 'Superman' Director James McTeigue Reveals His Vision For Man Of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

EXCLUSIVE: Rumored 'Superman' Director Reveals His Vision For Man Of Steel
"Ninja Assassin" and "V For Vendetta" director James McTeigue has long been rumored as one of the leading candidates to take over Warner Bros.' stalled Superman movie franchise.

Earlier this month, McTeigue offered a vague, somewhat cryptic response when asked whether the rumors were true—so we couldn't help putting the question to him again when he dropped by Splash Page HQ today. Fresh off wrapping things up with the much-anticipated, action-packed "Ninja Assassin," McTeigue would "neither confirm nor deny" his attachment to a new "Superman" movie... but he did tell us where he'd like to go with DC's Man of Steel if—and that's a big if—he was in the director's chair.

"I think if I was ever going to go near Superman, I would do a complete reboot—take it in a direction that you would absolutely not expect, actually," McTeigue told MTV News. "So, that would be my thinking on it, if I was ever going to go near Superman."

Elaborating on the direction he'd like to take Superman in a potential movie, McTeigue said recent events would seem to work in favor of a new take on the Man of Steel.

"I think it's good that they just had a court case where, basically, if you make another Superman movie, you can't touch Superman growing up—that's part of the story that you can't touch any more," he said. "That wouldn't be a bad thing. I think everybody's a bit sick of seeing the origin story."

While we can't stress enough that McTeigue isn't officially on board the potential big-screen reboot of the "Superman" movie franchise, it's certainly interesting to know what one of the rumored top contenders would like to do with the character if he had the chance.

Aegus

I just want Superman doing impossibly cool things. Err like skimming the surface of the sun as he saves a mission to study the sun close up from Lex Luthor's evil designs. Or fighting a Chronovore with a team of his descendants from 50,000 years in the future with his dog Krypto.

Then the film ends with Superman powering the sun.

You can see where I'm going with this can't you!:lol

Aylinato

Aegus said:
I just want Superman doing impossibly cool things. Err like skimming the surface of the sun as he saves a mission to study the sun close up from Lex Luthor's evil designs. Or fighting a Chronovore with a team of his descendants from 50,000 years in the future with his dog Krypto.

Then the film ends with Superman powering the sun.

You can see where I'm going with this can't you!:lol

No more Lex Luthor.

If I did a movie with superman in it then I would have it be doomsday, and kill superman. (course I'd make doomsday look badass too.)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Aylinato said:
If I did a movie with superman in it then I would have it be doomsday, and kill superman. (course I'd make doomsday look badass too.)

The only good Superman is a dead Superman!

Tamanon

Banned
If I did a movie with Superman, it would be a 2 hour tour de force of Clark Kent agonizing over how he wants the opening to his next article to be. Then maybe he'll get a pizza.

Aylinato

Brian Fellows said:
The only good Superman is a dead Superman!

It'd be an awesome movie, and sad to.

I'd call it "The Death of Superman."

No love story in it either, except showing Lois every once in awhile because I'd have to show that she loves Superman.

Not overplay Jimmy Olsen either, it's Doomsday, not some half-assed supervillian.

I'd also get to put in all the other heros that faced doomsday in the fight towards superman.

Decado

"R" rated version of Superman going nuts and other heroes trying to bring him down.

Otherwise, I like this director too much (well, if NA turns out really well) to see him wasted on the pansy ass Superman franchise.

Also, totally sucks that NA was delayed until November. Pisses me off a lot more than the Shutter Island delay.

Aegus

The problem with having a Doomsday/Superman rumble is that in all honesty it would just basically be two CGI beings smashing through buildings. It'd be utterly boring to watch. Just like the recent Hulk with Abombination.

I do not want a direction I would not expect. I want a reboot with modern comic sensibilities.

No weirdo Burton nonsense.

Man of Steel. Brainiac. Mongul. Warworld. Done in one.

No Luthor.

If he wants to surprise the audience, do a new origin story that breaks the rules. Have Superman arrive at a different time, or land in a different location. Shift the lore and make the film unpredictable and compelling, if possible.

Basically, I want them to film this:

redsonstories.jpg

superman5.gif

Superman as the imperious leader of Communism, with President
Luthor
holding down the last bastion of democracy.

A damn smart, compelling book. I'd love to see this, or something equally as ambitious, adapted.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Clark Kent is a drug-addicited hobo, and his heroin-induced delusions involve him believing he's a "super man" capable of flight, super strength and immortality.

Kryptonite is actually a metaphor for getting clean, because when he does, Superman dies.

~ Fin ~

S-Wind

I think if I was ever going to go near Superman, I would do a complete reboot—take it in a direction that you would absolutely not expect, actually," McTeigue told MTV News. "So, that would be my thinking on it, if I was ever going to go near Superman.

Superman being a deadbeat dad was a direction that was absolutely unexpected.

Darklord

Banned
TheOddOne said:
"I think if I was ever going to go near Superman, I would do a complete reboot—take it in a direction that you would absolutely not expect, actually," McTeigue told MTV News. "So, that would be my thinking on it, if I was ever going to go near Superman."

f1mo1g.jpg
Starring Christian Bale as Batman.

Tamanon

Banned
It would take too much balls to greenlight Red Son as a big budget screenplay. The bad press would be insane for taking an American Icon and making him a commie.

But it would be sooooooo good.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
We all would. But the general public? Can you imagine people flocking out to a communist Superman movie?

I wish they made it though.

G-Fex

Jibril said:
We all would. But the general public? Can you imagine people flocking out to a communist Superman movie?

I wish they made it though.

You fucking commie.

lol

I too would like to see this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If he wasn't working his magic on Robocop they should give it to Aronofsky ;)

Clark a deluded man with a spiralling drug-problem and a Messiah Complex, Lois becomes a whore, Lex her pimp.

'Requiem For A Superhero'

G-Fex

DECK'ARD said:
If he wasn't working his magic on Robocop they should give it to Aronofsky ;)

Clark a deluded man with a spiralling drug-problem and a Messiah Complex, Lois becomes a whore, Lex her pimp.

'Requiem For A Superhero'

He's not, he left Robocop to do that ballerina movie.

JimiNutz

Banned
I have never read a Superman comic and have very limited knowledge of the character, but I'd set Superman in the near future (maybe 2040 or sometime like that.)

Clark Kent would be a nerdy internet blogger that gets raped by space aliens.
Somehow the space alien jizz gives him his powers and then he flies off to their planet and kicks all their butts.
Then the aliens send an army of ginat death robots to earth but Superman fucks them all up, so in desperation the aliens rape some dude called Lex Luthor and turn him into a Superman as well (but he's evil).
Then Lex Luthor rapes loads of hot chicks and makes an army of evil Superwomen.
But Superman has got loads of aliens locked in his basement (from when he kicked all their butts earlier in the movie) so he's got loads of space jizz on tap, so he starts injecting the space jizz to get more powers (like Bane from Batman) and then he fucks up all the other Superwomen and Lux Luthor at the end.
They can still have Louis Lane and all that shit, but she'd be much hotter and have bigger tits.

So I'm guessing we're back to pre-returns with Superman on the backburner for the next 10 years with countless directors lined up as "possibles".

gdt

Messypandas said:
So I'm guessing we're back to pre-returns with Superman on the backburner for the next 10 years with countless directors lined up as "possibles".

Nah. It needs to happen NOW. WB is going to lose the rights very soon unless they start production.

MisterHero

Dean Cain Superman, Brandon Routh Superman,
and CGI Christopher Reeve Superman
vs. Tom Welling Superboy-Prime

He'll never grow up on that WB Channel show targeted at teens

the REAL villain is Black Lantern Kirk Alyn Superman

gdt5016 said:
Nah. It needs to happen NOW. WB is going to lose the rights very soon unless they start production.

Right. Then they need to get there thumb out of there asses and make a story where Superman is a fucking badass and not a sobbing wimp:

34gu4v6.jpg

Penguin

If they did another Superman reboot, I would hope they would take a cue from TAS and now the comics, and have Brainiac involved in the death of his home planet just so we could get a villain that isn't Luthor in a movie.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I want a Superman, that makes Batman look like a pussy.
Supes, that just kills people that don't deserve to live. And does worse than death to the worst of the worst. Like molest criminals and shit.

hiredhand

The new Superman film should be made in the style of the 1940's cartoons. It would be even better if the film would actually take place in the 1940's version of Metropolis.

The film would end when the WW2 begins. Then the sequel could be basically Superman vs. the Third Reich.

Fleishersuperman.jpg

Boonoo

If I made a Super Man movie I'd have him, ya know, punch stuff.
Was there a single good punch thrown in the last movie?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tamanon said:
So basically....he said nothing.
Not being interested in doing the origin story makes his statement 550 feet tall, and trailing clouds in its wake while dinosaurs scramble out of the statement's awesome path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom