• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored 'Superman' Director James McTeigue Reveals His Vision For Man Of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need an origin story to reboot the Superman franchise, you don't need an origin story PERIOD. I'd wager that anyone who'd be even remotely interested in seeing this film already has enough general knowledge of who Superman is to do without anything more than a five-minute refresher.

You also don't need to take Superman in a completely new and unexpected direction, either, because then you're not making a film about Superman.

The biggest problem facing another Superman film can be summed up in one word: PIANO. Find a screenwriter who can paint the franchise out of that particular corner, and you've got a winner.

Ponn

Banned
He should make it starring Ryan Reynolds as Superman because, well, Ryan Reynolds can play every super hero now right? And his wise cracking everybody buddy Jimmy Olsen played by Seth Rogen and the hot Jessica Alba as Lois Lane. And it can be a romantic comedy.

Done and done.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Do a trilogy leading up to Supes going to Apokalips to defeat the menace of Darkseid dammit! :D

Get Bizarro in there some how, some way.

Yes this, or Brainiac.

Fuck Doomsday, The Death of Superman was a terrible story.

Forgotten_Taco said:
Yes this, or Brainiac.

Fuck Doomsday, The Death of Superman was a terrible story.

Braniac would be a good second villain I think, in terms of threat.

I think the whole Luthor as a pawn of Darkseid think could work, despite the way Luthor is written in comics these days. Darkseid hooks him up with some Apokaliptian power suit Super Powers style to go toe-to-toe with Supes in the first flick.

Then Braniac in the second flick.

Then Darkseid and Apokalips. WOOOOOOO! :O

Hellion

Have superman lose his powers and pick up a gun in the third act. Only to have batman come in a save the day all tying into a JL movie.

Superman Trilogy:

1st film: Lex Luthor and Metallo (like the pilot for the Bruce Timm cartoon)
2nd Film: Braniac
3rd Film: Lex & Braniac + Doomsday

Though i'd rather see film adaptions of Jack Kirby's 4th. World/New Gods saga or Grant Morrison's Super Young team!

That asian dude from Star Trek/American Pie can play as Most Excellent Super Bat

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
I'd love to see a Braniac-narrated teaser trailer for Superman, describing him in the most cold and analytical way possible, before zipping into a montage of Supes fighting a 60 foot tall Metallo robot in front of the Daily Planet.

Also, in the "reboot," Lex Luthor needs to be the corporate megalomaniac that runs Metropolis. Much better tension between a hero and villain who can't directly attack each other (hence the need for Metallos and Parasites and, eventually, the collaboration with Braniac).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
They need to make a God Damned superman movie that doesn't apologize for it's SciFi elements. All of the movies have been too grounded in reality... other than Supes it's just the regular world. Sure, maybe some other guy shows up from space in a few of them...

but really they just need to bite the bullet and let go of the Richard Donner Legacy. Superman I and Superman II were good movies for what they were.. but they need to bring Superman comics to the big screen.. every single version of Supes in a non-cartoon or Comic Book medium has tried to minimize the over the topness of the world Supes lives in...

Watching an invincible man try and stop Real Estate developers is not my idea of a good time anymore.

oto

Neo Member
Spike Spiegel said:
The biggest problem facing another Superman film can be summed up in one word: PIANO. Find a screenwriter who can paint the franchise out of that particular corner, and you've got a winner.

What does that mean? Is it referred to SR? Because if they plan to reboot the series, the first thing they do is to forgo the existence of that movie.

Grecco

Ross12.jpg

I wouldn't expect this. But id love to see it.

StoOgE said:
They need to make a God Damned superman movie that doesn't apologize for it's SciFi elements. All of the movies have been too grounded in reality... other than Supes it's just the regular world. Sure, maybe some other guy shows up from space in a few of them...

but really they just need to bite the bullet and let go of the Richard Donner Legacy. Superman I and Superman II were good movies for what they were.. but they need to bring Superman comics to the big screen.. every single version of Supes in a non-cartoon or Comic Book medium has tried to minimize the over the topness of the world Supes lives in...

Watching an invincible man try and stop Real Estate developers is not my idea of a good time anymore.

Every Super Hero movie needs to take this as an edict.

Only Batman and Iron Man can get away with it. Everyone else: Super fantastic.

Dabanton

oto said:
What does that mean? Is it referred to SR? Because if they plan to reboot the series, the first thing they do is to forgo the existence of that movie.

Yeah superman's son that he had with Lois Lane throws a piano on one of Lex's goons killing him.

But a reboot would be wise,enough of Lex Luthor unless his going to be done properly.

Superman of War.

Superman Begins

Superman Returns II: Electric Boogaloo

Superman: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious City of Metropolis

Sup Man?

MisterHero

ryutaro's mama said:
Any mention of giant spiders?

Did you know they're one nature's most lethal killers?
It's been done, in animated form at least. Kevin Smith even appeared and made a joke about it.

That said, Superman Doomsday (Death of Superman) was a horrible animated movie adaptation. :lol

Personally I'd make a kick-ass sequel to Superman Returns. If an audience deserves a quality movie, they also deserve stories that don't involve ANY rebooting and needless new continuities, like what Marvel did with the Hulk and might be doing with Fantastic Four. The movie needs to be good DAY ONE (because that's what customers pay for), not a similar one that's good 4+ years later.

Batman & Robin is a compelling argument against my opinion though. :lol

I say have Superman turn to the dark side and have him be the villain in any future Superman movie. Have Invincible show up to be the hero and his son.

Zabka

MisterHero said:
It's been done, in animated form at least. Kevin Smith even appeared and made a joke about it.

That said, Superman Doomsday (Death of Superman) was a horrible animated movie adaptation. :lol

Personally I'd make a kick-ass sequel to Superman Returns. If an audience deserves a quality movie, they also deserve stories that don't involve ANY rebooting and needless new continuities, like what Marvel did with the Hulk and might be doing with Fantastic Four. The movie needs to be good DAY ONE (because that's what customers pay for), not a similar one that's good 4+ years later.
Even though you are an evil person for suggesting a sequel to Superman Returns, Hulk is actually the best example to follow for the next Superman movie.

The Incredible Hulk retold the origin in the credits, bringing it closer to the TV show, and just moved on. All-Star Superman did something similar on the first page:
8zpks9.jpg

BAM! Move on. They better keep the Superman: The Movie theme music though, so help me God.

Red

How about a Superman is a Dick movie where he just goes around messing with people. It could be like a more relevant Hancock without the shitty twist at the end.

Medalion

Banned
I want a Superman set in the future where there is no fucking metropolis and smallville bullshit. A well-established and worn Superman... But not a direct sequel to the other supermans released so far.

Maybe a DC universe movie, not just focusing on one Superhero.

Messypandas said:
Right. Then they need to get there thumb out of there asses and make a story where Superman is a fucking badass and not a sobbing wimp:
34gu4v6.jpg
that would be awesome. he would have to stop batman because of the vigilante thing too (even though seeing that pic breaks my heart lol)

and the Superman Red Son would just be way to bad ass :D
supes-redson.jpg

millarredson2.jpg

they would also need to put in batman
RED_SON_IMAGE2.jpg

Batman___Red_Son_by_warungkopi.jpg

I'll be surprised if WB is able to put out a movie that even resembles Superman the way things are going for the character rights.

Medalion

Banned
Sam Raimi to direct new Superman...

Opening teaser trailer... Clark Kent strutting down the street with emo hair doing lame disco-dance :p

MisterHero

Zabka said:
Even though you are an evil person for suggesting a sequel to Superman Returns, Hulk is actually the best example to follow for the next Superman movie.

The Incredible Hulk retold the origin in the credits, bringing it closer to the TV show, and just moved on. All-Star Superman did something similar on the first page:

BAM! Move on. They better keep the Superman: The Movie theme music though, so help me God.
Mwahahaha. >:)

I think the world set up in Superman I/II/Returns is good enough and it would be less effective and more costly to set that up again (that and they probably won't be able to top the John Williams music), that's my reasoning behind it. The only reason I would be against it is having no Fortress of Solitude because of Marlon Brando's part in it. I guess they could find a new Jor-El but Brando was already established in this modern version. The cost of not wanting a reboot almost means no replacing actors (meaning Brandon Routh has to stay, though that means keeping Kate Bosworth too). :lol

The Incredible Hulk was indeed a decent improvement/reboot and using the TV theme was an alright touch but I feel that doing that for Superman will just confuse people and the project itself would not stand on its own feet. Topping Williams's score may be impossible.

I would have agreed with a reboot had Returns not come out, but one way or another, the studio has to deal with the perception/problems caused by Returns and IMO it would be better to be upfront with it and not tell people to forget it happened.

The Metropolis in I/II/Returns is a well-crafted homage to the old movie the city is named after so I don't how it could be any better (unless we follow the coloful/streamlined version used in the DCAU Superman series).

The actors all range from competent to talented, they just need better writing. A reboot won't fix any of those problems if the same quality standards remain (Returns was a well-made movie production-wise, but it was just very boring and anti-climactic).

Crunched said:
How about a Superman is a Dick movie where he just goes around messing with people. It could be like a more relevant Hancock without the shitty twist at the end.
Superman is a Dick: The Movie

Also, you just described Superman III.

69q490.jpg

gdt

I'm about to end this whole thing.

Give Superman to Quentin Tarrantino. At the very least, Bill's monologue about Superman at the end of Kill Bill shows he could do something very, very interesting.

We'd get awesome Superman dialog about

How Superman has sex (who doesn't want that finally answered?)
Does he feel superior to the humans he protects?
How far would he really go?
What are his personal views?
Does he really trust the government?

etc etc etc.

That would be too much of a dream project. I don't think QT would take a project where he wouldn't have full control, has to do so much CGI, PG-13, etc etc.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Jill Sandwich said:
I just want a Superman movie where Lois Lane turns black.

I spilled Orangina, all over my keyboard. Thank you very much :lol

gdt5016 said:

Give Superman to Quentin Tarrantino. At the very least, Bill's monologue about Superman at the end of Kill Bill shows he could do something very, very interesting.

We'd get awesome Superman dialog about

How Superman has sex (who doesn't want that finally answered?)
Does he feel superior to the humans he protects?
How far would he really go?
What are his personal views?
Does he really trust the government?

etc etc etc.

That would be too much of a dream project. I don't think QT would take a project where he wouldn't have full control, has to do so much CGI, PG-13, etc etc.

Oh shit. I fully endorse this.

gdt5016 said:

*snip*
Uh, no... if anything, that monologue demonstrated why Tarantino should NEVER EVER have anything whatsoever to do with a Superman film.

oto

Neo Member
gdt5016 said:

Didn't Tarantino steal that monologue from somewhere?

Edit: Just checked wiki, it was lifted from "The Great Comic Book Heroes" by Jules Feiffer.

Spike Spiegel said:
Uh, no... if anything, that monologue demonstrated why Tarantino should NEVER EVER have anything whatsoever to do with a Superman film.

In the wiki for All Star Superman, there's a quote from Grant Morisson that mirrors a similar sentiment about Superman/Kent, though he argues that Superman is an act as well, the only time Clark is ever really himself is when he's in Smallville.

I'm in the camp that believes Supes need to be placed in more fantastical scenarios against more powerful opponents to be interesting.

No one's going to pay money to watch 150 minutes of Spiderman fighting muggers and jewel thieves, Thor rescuing cats from trees, or the Avengers taking on disaster relief in Southeast Asia.

Superhero movies are by and large made by their villains, the only success I can think of that defies that rule is Iron Man, where the hero is just so charismatic we (the audience) become entranced just watching him dick around his lab.

Superman has a rogue's gallery that can be well-written and engaging, it's way past time that we gave the audience a little credit. Smallville is swimming with super-powered beings and dust-ups, and it's lasted nearly a decade.

If a Spiderman movie can give us Venom with something as inoccuous as a meteor shower, a Superman movie can surely feature Darkside/Despero/Mongul/Brainiac/Eradicator.

Oozer3993

Spike Spiegel said:
You don't need an origin story to reboot the Superman franchise, you don't need an origin story PERIOD. I'd wager that anyone who'd be even remotely interested in seeing this film already has enough general knowledge of who Superman is to do without anything more than a five-minute refresher.

You also don't need to take Superman in a completely new and unexpected direction, either, because then you're not making a film about Superman.

I've already done it:

Have deranged-Animated-Series-supercomputer Braniac as the villian trying to wipe out the Earth or at least its Krytonian residents, including the newly discovered one whom Kal-El would presumably do anything to protect. Braniac inevitably gets defeated, but maybe the kid dies or is seriously hurt, and a scene after the credits shows Luthor using technology and parts from Braniac to make a prototype of Metallo. Bam, there's your next movie, Metallo v. Pissed Off Supes.

Dear WB,

Cut me a check for about $1 Million, give me a "Story By:" credit and we'll call it even.

Sincerely,

Oozer

Pachinko

How about this, how about they just kill the franchise, they won't have the rights to 90% of what make superman ... superman pretty damn soon anyway. So just let it be done.

I don't think there is any story they could pull off correctly that'd get asses in seats with this character these days. People don't forget a poor movie and reboot or sequel or requel whatever, audiences will still remember the mediocre superman returns and will likley be hesitant to pay for it unless it's 5 star quality.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Boonoo said:
If I made a Super Man movie I'd have him, ya know, punch stuff.
Was there a single good punch thrown in the last movie?
Pretty Sure Kumar knocked out superman..could be mistaken due to the fact that i was thinking of all the ways i could kill myself in an Imax theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom