• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I think Bianca made up for her incredibly safe and one-note aesthetic by being incredibly polished with it. She rarely changed her silhouette, but the gowns and wigs she came out in each week were always incredibly tailored and polished and exciting in their own way. And it was always drag. Queens lose me when they start walking down the runway in stuff that looks ready-to-wear and like what any normal woman would wear on any given day. I feel that way about Ginger. Her fashion ain't just safe, it's pedestrian.

And I really don't think she's all that funny, either. She's got the southern personality going for her (though she doesn't match the zaniness of Alyssa Edwards or the wit of Bianca). She's got charm, but I feel like she's only the funny girl because she's in this particular cast...and, well, none of these bitches are particularly funny or notable.

I wish we got to see more of Max. She's the only queen that seems to be transcending this group. Great personality that we really haven't seen on the show in a while (she's got Pandora and Jinkx's theater queen qualities without their complete lack of style and edge). And she's as polished as the other girls without lacking in versatility. You never know what you're going to get with Max, but she's demonstrated so far that it will almost always be good.

I like Katya, too. I just feel like we've already seen the extent of what she has to offer.

Still an incredibly boring group of girls, though. Yikes.

Have you seen Katya's RuFlections and RuGrets videos on youtube sis? She's one of the funniest queens to be on this show period. I'm sure she'll be owning a handful of the challenges coming up.

And her instagram is LIFE

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Have you seen Katya's RuFlections and RuGrets videos on youtube sis? She's one of the funniest queens to be on this show period. I'm sure she'll be owning a handful of the challenges coming up.

And her instagram is LIFE

whats ha insta? cba to scroll through ten thousand katyas to find her

razznjazz

Neo Member
This season is giving me all kinds of weird feelings. When a polished queen exits, it's like, "where do we go from here?"

Also...

IMG_4629_zpswkpfruuq.jpg

I'd like to give Pearl credit for always changing her makeup around too. Very few queens do it on this show honestly. She's had a different face each episode so far.

Ep 4 look by far my favorite though. #teampearl

mantidor

While Pearl's catwalk is all kinds of clunky, it was perfect for the snake theme, she really embodied that look.

And I'm not a huge fan of Trixie, but that bottom two made no sense at all. I really didn't want any of those two to go.

zeopower6

I think it came down to "how do we get Trixie out" and this is how they wanted to do it. Issue is that she has a pretty huge fanbase and didn't exactly falter in the challenge so they made up a bunch of bullshit.

I'm not really sure why they didn't just send Kandy home tbh. It's going to happen sooner or later most likely.

"Kandy Ho, you faded into the background and we almost forgot your existence but you're safe."

razznjazz

Neo Member
I'd like to give Pearl credit for always changing her makeup around too. Very few queens do it on this show honestly. She's had a different face each episode so far.

Ep 4 look by far my favorite though. #teampearl

Speaking of RuPaul's questionable judgement this season, I personally thought Pearl rocked that Shakesqueer challenge. She had specific character choices which she committed to and her gestures were hilarious.

I guess the exciting thing about this past week is that there's no telling who will make it to the end…?

Yado

eh, Kandy didn't fuck up her challenge and her runway look was decent. I don't think she's going to be around much longer anyway.

royalan

Speaking of RuPaul's questionable judgement this season, I personally thought Pearl rocked that Shakesqueer challenge. She had specific character choices which she committed to and her gestures were hilarious.

I guess the exciting thing about this past week is that there's no telling who will make it to the end…?

Eh, the femme-queen-does-butch-voice thing is so season 2. Plus, she started fucking up when the rest of the team did, they just didn't show as much of it with her.

Anyway, I guess I'm the only one not upset Trixie left. She's cute and sassy out of drag, but I agree with idea that her drag persona was a little half-baked. She gave me some funny confessional moments, but in drag she was completely forgettable. Sure, we can argue Kandy probably should have been down there instead, but hell...if it wasn't this week it likely would have been next week. She was never gonna make it far.

zeopower6

I like Trixie but I don't understand why people creamed over her online... is there something I am missing? I'd have liked her to make it at least to Snatch Game though. I have NO desire in seeing what Kandy brings to that.

Pearl unintentionally stole the show in her group by creating many Pearlisms in the way Alyssa did during her season.

Yado

I like Trixie but I don't understand why people creamed over her online... is there something I am missing?

Maybe because she's more active online than the other girls idk, I would have preferred to see Pearl go but I suppose it doesn't really matter what order these basics go home in.

royalan

tbh I thought S6 was more basic overall even with all the catchphrases.

I enjoyed S6 not just for the catch phrases, but for the big personalities (after all, boring contestants don't create catchphrases) and the wide range of drag represented. Yeah, there were some stinkers in the bunch, but the interesting queens from last season were a lot more interesting than this lot.

I'd kill for a Joslyn Fox right about now...

zeopower6

I enjoyed S6 not just for the catch phrases, but for the big personalities (after all, boring contestants don't create catchphrases) and the wide range of drag represented. Yeah, there were some stinkers in the bunch, but the interesting queens from last season were a lot more interesting than this lot.

I'd kill for a Joslyn Fox right about now...

wonk wonk.

I think at this point in the season, we won't be seeing queens at their best. It may take until Snatch Game before they blossom.

I had no favorites at all in S6. I KINDA liked some of them at best but compared to this season there wasn't really anyone to root for since Hurricane Bianca was happening. (Bianca was fierce as fuck but I was just never a fan of her style)

razznjazz

Neo Member
Eh, the femme-queen-does-butch-voice thing is so season 2. Plus, she started fucking up when the rest of the team did, they just didn't show as much of it with her.

Anyway, I guess I'm the only one not upset Trixie left. She's cute and sassy out of drag, but I agree with idea that her drag persona was a little half-baked. She gave me some funny confessional moments, but in drag she was completely forgettable. Sure, we can argue Kandy probably should have been down there instead, but hell...if it wasn't this week it likely would have been next week. She was never gonna make it far.

Season 2 is an apt comparison for the entire season, I think. Nobody was so polished that they demolished the others and it was really anybody's game (I think Raven might had the rockiest road to F3 of any queen and Jujubee didn't even win one despite scene stealing most of the season). Let's just hope we don't get another Tyra.

I think it's more that there's just not many well-rounded queens to root for aside from loving them for one, maybe two, particular aspects of their drag. Fame and Max are sharp, but flatline on acting challenges. IMHO Katya and Ginger are the only two who are killing it as the real deal. Then there's Pearl...beautiful, enigmatic Pearl, who lives on her own planet. I want to go there.

zeopower6

MAX hasn't been flatlining in acting challenges. I think it was just bad she ended up being Courtney in that video. Only Katya probably could have made that work.

Ginger is going to be working the two-faced-reality-show-contestant thing for as long as she's on the show, lol.

I don't think Trixie is coming back. She already revealed herself on reddit right after her elimination on the show. She wouldn't do that if she has a bigger part for the rest of the season.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
MAX hasn't been flatlining in acting challenges. I think it was just bad she ended up being Courtney in that video. Only Katya probably could have made that work.

Ginger is going to be working the two-faced-reality-show-contestant thing for as long as she's on the show, lol.

She feels like Darienne Lake 2.0

Pearl's part in Shakesqueer was legit the only funny segment. Her delivery was so so over it. I lived

zeopower6

Watching episode now.

PEARL. PLEAAAAAAAAASE. Oh my god, I don't think any other queen has done this >_> 5 Gs, Pearl. Love you but wtf.

Challenge was bizarre but funny. Winner of challenge was unclear and still weird after they announced it.

Perfect bottom 2, but.. shooda sent them both home.

Rayis

I'm ok with who actually ended up going home but I wanted the other person to actually go, she has been boring since the beginning.

I worried for Pearl since she talked back to Ru, but at least she recovered and did awesome in the challenge.

also, Miss Fame is finally showing her silly personality, she's actually awesome and I'm glad she's bringing it, might end up actually going far.

Max, Miss Fame and Katya for top 3 plz

Interestingly, this season's young queens that in their early 20s etc probably came of age around the time Drag Race season 1 premiered. So we are literally seeing new drag as these young queens see it.

Hmmm...
I don't know about tonight's win...they didn't seem any funnier or more clever than the teams that came before them, but oh well...this season is just a tiny bit wacky when it comes to the critiques/wins/loses/bottom 2 stuff. Plus, I actually wasn't specifically banking on anybody to win that one.
(*performance spoilers*)
barring Kandy, I'm surprised that every one of the teams did relatively well; I was expecting to cringe a lot more than I did. The beauty queens had me really worried for a second. Kudos to almost all of them.

Also
Almost everyone of the queens looked so gorgeous during the main challenge; despite the fact that I'm used to it at this point, it's still amazes me how beautiful and lady-like men in dresses/heels/makeup can be.
:>

Literally all the old queens this season are busted, this season is about the younger queens tbh

Miss Fame serving us royal chicken realness

I can't wait for the poultry queen fanart lol

zeopower6

Hmmm...
I don't know about tonight's win...they didn't seem any funnier or more clever than the teams that came before them, but oh well...this season is just a tiny bit wacky when it comes to the critiques/wins/loses/bottom 2 stuff. Plus, I actually wasn't specifically banking on anybody to win that one.

I don't think anyone stood out but maybe they won cause Pearl "WOKE UP"?

I don't think anyone stood out but maybe they won cause Pearl "WOKE UP"?

I definitely laughed a lot (and there were stand out moments imo), but I really couldn't make out a clear winner this time.
(*speculation/future event spoilers*)
You could be right about the Pearl thing. Her big "wake up" fight with Ru, her breakdown, and her "redemption" in this challenge all seem pretty transparent to me; there is a pretty clear storyline going on there. Maybe she really will make it to the top 3; her win tonight reminded me of some of the weird wins Adore managed to grab onto. Doesn't really seem like she earned it...but you know, who cares she's charming (or in the case of Pearl, somewhat charming ;> )...

I dunno, she seems to be getting Darienne Lake's edit IMO. The fans won't want Ginger to win by the end from the way she is being edited so far.

lol
Yeah she's almost reminding me of a softer more subtle Darienne at this point, and (as far as I can tell) some fans seem to think this as well.

I dunno, she seems to be getting Darienne Lake's edit IMO. The fans won't want Ginger to win by the end from the way she is being edited so far.

Keep watching. She hasn't even begun to show what she has.

Ru cast some terribly untalented pretty girls this go round.

zeopower6

From the get go though you can tell where the story arc is going to be for some queens. She could win every challenge from now until the end and I don't think it would change much. Ginger is not being edited favorably and even if she performs amazingly, it's not really wise for them to give her the crown if people don't like her compared to Violet/Katya/Pearl/whoever else.

Ginger's demise might come closer to the end if it happens since big girls + drag ball episode = ???????????. Or makeover episode. So far she has almost always been safe or top because there's just a lot of trash fodder atm and she is pretty quick witted.

I'm perfectly fine with that tbqh.
I like fashion and beauty (I don't think I'd watch the show if that wasn't part of it), that's one of the reasons why I love drag.
So I'm perfectly fine with most of the queens being incredibly talented in the aesthetics department while being mostly "ho-hum" in the performance comedy department.
In all honesty though, most of them are funny enough to be charming and entertaining imo.

Edit:
Hint: fashion and a gaunt body isn't talent.

While I can agree that having a feminine/svelte/thin boy-body isn't a talent, having a keen eye for aesthetics/fashion (fit, color coordination, flattering cuts, selling the look, etc.) and being a good makeup artist definitely requires as much talent and skill as being funny; thinking otherwise comes off as absurd, myopic, and needlessly dismissive for no good reason.

zeopower6

As of right now, we have three queens who have managed to avoid the bottom or being 'low'. Ginger, MAX, and Jaidynn (???).

Only two of these have actually deserved their placements IMO.

I'd love to hear who you think has exhibited any talent to keep her out.

I think it's not so much that other girls with more talent will edge Ginger out (but there are two or three queens that have just as much of a wit and knack for the show's challenges that she does) but that Ginger is NOT LIKABLE. She reads top 4 boot or the Phi Phi/Roxxxy/Alexis at best to me. Not so much the Courtney since Courtney was great, just extremely dull.

Untucked was ripped and streamed and apparently Ginger seems like a ~lock~ for top 3 after this one.

Some T on next week's challenge/episode title and the week after.

Episode 6: Ru Hollywood Stories Overview : The queens star in a mystery behind-the-scenes reenactment series; Ariana Grande and former Drag Race panelist Merle Ginsberg guest judge.

Episode 7: Snatch Game

FINALLY! It's a good time to do the Snatch Game this late in the game as opposed to whenever they've done it every other season because there is way less likelihood of some girls being complete SHIT at it. I have a feeling Kandy and Jaidynn will not do well in the acting challenge next week and then whoever of those two doesn't get eliminated will get axed in Snatch Game.

Ginger isnt cute. Ginger isnt THAT funny. Ginger looks are pedestrian, unpolished. And she is a big passive-aggressive meanie, specially towards more all around talented queens than her like MAX.

No edit can save you from being dislikable, and social media talk/followers are not favoring the Ruditors choices. Sorry ´bout it Minjs.

Max and Pearl just keep slaying tho. They will have a nice future even if they dont land a top 3. A top 3 can do more harm than good for some queens (poor Roxxxy).

KiN0

I think it's unfair to call them untalented. After all, it takes that much talent to look as pretty as they do. And really, this season has been incredibly solid as far as polish and aesthetic goes. There's no milk/jiggly/latrice/jinx/mimi/laganja/etc.

Of course, that also means that the worst looks aren't laughably bad, just boring. And, I guess I can see how that's a downside to this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom