• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeopower6

I think the judges' mindset is that it's been years since the show has started. You should know by now compared to the first two seasons or even third (which was STUNNING for a third season) what to do on the show and what they expect of you.

omg I rewatched the Trixie Untucked and...

MAX:
Trixie, I love you and the judges suck and I hate everyone else here. The End. Love, MAX. P.S. I will win for you

I liked this weeks Untucked, it felt like it had the best parts of the old format.

I know no one wants to come for or criticize Ru, but I kind of got my life when Pearl gave him 'tude in the workroom. Ru is usually so composed, its funny to see him pissed off.

So far no one seems like a shoe-in for winner. They're all kind of weak in one way or another, but Katya is my current favorite just for being the funniest in interviews. I do think Max has Miss Congeniality in the bag tho.

vidbyxm3gut1.gif

zeopower6

I liked this weeks Untucked, it felt like it had the best parts of the old format.

I know no one wants to come for or criticize Ru, but I kind of got my life when Pearl gave him 'tude in the workroom. Ru is usually so composed, its funny to see him pissed off.

Ru vs. Tammie in the S1 reunion was LIFE.

royalan

Bitch, sit down and shut the hell up bitch!

Whether Ru said "Big personality" or "no personality" the fact remains that her tea was true.

Pearl has great aesthetic but no personality, and the personality that people credit her with is really her just being a lazy stoner floating through life...which I suppose COULD be funny if she had some self-awareness and the ability to hone it in and make it funny, but she doesn't. As of right now she's a homeless man's Willam.

Yeah, the moment Pearl said that she's feeling "picked on" by the judges or whatever, she lost me. At this point, queens who don't know this show's history have no business being on it.

I'm here for Boy Pearl's private Scruff album once the show's embargo is over, but I'm not here for the entitled flop or her so-forced-it-gave-me-hernia "redemption" arc.

This season is almost uniformly mediocre outside of the occasionally sickeningly polished ensemble, most of which are off-the-rack anyway.

Where's the fire? Where's the fierce? Where's the charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent?

#rupaulsbumpercarrace

zeopower6

Yeah, she showed her immaturity when she mentioned that she felt 'picked on'... gurl, they are judges for a reason.

(and perhaps sealed her loss right then and there)

Too many group challenges this season to tell if anyone is sickening and fierce since most of them are too worried about their group or w/e.

Solo stuff after next week. Usually the show is really good at eliminations (Trixie going home and Pearl/Trixie bottom 2 was not even correct AT ALL IMO though) and I usually don't disagree with them up until a certain point. Wish I knew why they are keeping Jaidynn and Kandy around when they are probably going bye bye soon based on edit/general versatility during runways and challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImJNQqoOX4

Miss Fame interview with Feast of Fun. She is HILARIOUS.

Yeah, Drag race really struggles when it does too much group challenges(All Stars, anyone?). Is this the longest stretch of group challenges in all the seasons?

Gradon

I'm getting fed up with the group challenges too, is there any specific reason why most challenges so far have been group challenges?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
istonight another group one?

istonight another group one?

Yeah tonight is teams, next week isn't though.

And yeah this season will likely have the most team challenges. I think the episode 8 might be a team challenge again sadly.

Total team/group challenges in each season:

Season 2: 2 (stripping/selling cherry pie, country challenge)
Season 3: 3 (queens in space, totally leotarded, QNN news)
Season 4: 4 (wrestling, glamazon/champion ad, tuckaho prison, frenemies)
Season 5: 5 (Untucked lip sync, draggle rock, black swan, charity video, soap opera challenge)
Season 6: 4 (scream queens, shade the rusical, rap video, glamazon by colorevolution)
Season 7 (so far): 5 (glamazonian airways, shakesqueer, Spoof!, Despys, Ruhollywood stories)

Season 6 dialed it back and Season 7 is doubling up. lol

zeopower6

I'm getting fed up with the group challenges too, is there any specific reason why most challenges so far have been group challenges?

I would GUESS it is because they want to weed out people who can't work even in teams so they don't crumble or waste space in solo challenges and/or cause maximum drama.

So far I have agreed with all the eliminations except Trixie. *Trixie should have gone AFTER Kandy/Kasha*

Episode title spoilers:
Episode 8: Conjoined Queens - Conjoined drag-twin makeovers.
Episode 9: Divine Inspiration! - Musical versions of John Waters' most iconic films.

tbh, I'm scared as hell. I smell two more team challenges. =_____________=

royalan

I wonder if Ru upped the team challenges this year because even she realized that they chose a bunch of dull-as-dishwater bitches that wouldn't be able to hold the camera's attention unless they were literally forced to interact with each other.

Just a guess...

mantidor

That would make no sense why not just pick up better queens to begin with?

I feel group challenges are more frequent this season to avoid having a strong contestant steamrolling everyone else a la Bianca, with group challenges the good queens are dragged back by the bad ones and it evens out the playfield so that there is no obvious winner.

Monocle

Group challenges are dull anyway. I've always preferred challenges that let individual queens shine. Much more entertaining.

royalan

That would make no sense why not just pick up better queens to begin with?
Methinks Ru might have been going for a drama-free season this time around.

If you listen to her podcast, Ru had stayed a few times that she doesn't like all the drama that happens in the workroom. I wouldn't be surprised if she deliberately picked girls who looked like they'd bring less friction.

But Ru is about to learn that drama makes for good TV, because God this group is boring.

zeopower6

Episode links being put up as we speak ;D

Watching in a bit.

Violet = whiny whiny whiny.

WHAT THE HELL IS KENNEDY'S RU?

Kandy's Ru is almost as bad ho LAWD. Jaidynn is getting nervous as hell.

PEARL'S MICHELLE LOOOOOOOOOOL. Fame's mini meltdownishthing is so Fame.

Kennedy's runway is so off the mark.

SOME OF THESE RUNWAYS ARE AMAZING. Katya/MAX/Pearl/Violet <3

Michelle's reaction after "Merle's side of the story" LOL

Episode 6 Spoiler:
I got nervous there for a bit that Jaidyn was gonna be sent home packing because of the editing but glad she stayed. She dfeinitely flinched during the challenge but she turned it out during that lipsynch

zeopower6

Which one's the crazy one?

Another WTF win IMO but it is nice to finally see this one get a win.

LOL @ the Pearl critique battle. I love when they do this.

lbr, all the Rus were unlucky because there wasn't really a 'character' there to act out. A bit like the problem with Max's Courtney, really. The Merle/Michelle conflict was just a standard Real Housewives-esque bitchfest, so the people that got them were just able to use that shtick and ham it up.

But Kennedy got real lucky that being on the Katya/Ginger team meant a free pass to next week, bc her runway was absolutely dreadful and would not have withstood critique. Like, wtf was that supposed to be.

SO happy we're getting Snatch Game next week and a solo challenge. We're finally coming up against something the editors can't feasibly wriggle Fame out of!

(also, I'm praying that Ginger gets called out for her cheap/boring runways soon because I've appreciated none of her looks so far, she was as lucky as Kennedy tbqh)

zeopower6

Next week preview spoiler for impersonations during Snatch Game:
Jaidynn Diorre Fierce - Raven Symone
MAX - Sharon Needles
Miss Fame - Donatella Versace ?!?!?!
Violet Chatchki - Donatella Versace (???)
Kennedy Davenport - Little Richard !?!

Others unknown for the time being.

Gradon

Episode 6 lip sync/elimination spoilers
I wasn't fond of Kandy Ho at all but that girl can pull off a great lip sync.

Episode 7 general spoilers
The choices from the queens are very diverse this year, gobsmacked that Violet and Fame are doing the same haha.

Raxus

Next week preview spoiler for Snatch Game:
MAX - Sharon Needles

I am betting Katya and Ginj have some good ones. I prey they do. WTF FAME AND VIOLET?

Rayis

Judging from comments about Untucked, the winning team has their head up their asses for the majority of it.

Really unwarranted from Kennedy because she wasn't even good and her runway look was horrendous, I hope she bombs on snatch game and is finally sent home, also, they finally sent that Ho bitch home, took a while but well-deserved.

KiN0

Both queens did a pretty good lip sync tonight but that elimination was long overdue. Also nice to see Merle.

Yeah that lipsynch was pretty fierce. Episode 6 Spoiler:
You know Kandy is good at it, but then Jaidyn turnt it up!

Ditto on getting Merle back from time to time. Fire Ross and Carson, replace them with Merle!

I didn't particularly like this week's mini challenge (tbqh it was a pandering uncreative mess.) and I really, really didn't like this week's maxi challenge.
Just like last week nobody came off as particularly gag-worthy (it honestly felt like they picked a winner out of a hat), but unlike last week this one didn't have the fabulousness or comedy that typically comes with a prestigious award show theme.
Hopefully the snatch game will make up for this week's weak main challenge.

On the flip side, this week's runway looks were fantastic; I'm living for fierce ass Violet making Barbie look like a whale (and so was Ariana apparently lol), and despite the predictable criticisms I thought Max's ensemble was absolutely gorgeous and somewhat haunting.
Fame looked gorgeous too, and I gotta give points to Ginger for creativity. Pearl looked pretty good too, I loved her walk; you could tell she was really feelin' her gig.

Also yeah, gotta agree that the lip-sync was great!

Edit: Oh and another thing, Max's prudishness is way too cute for me.

"MMMM, I WANT SOME MENSSSS!!!"

"They're all so vulgar!"

Ooooh, I wanna hug her! It's like she got flung from the 1930s into the present day.
:>

Next week preview spoiler for Snatch Game:
MAX - Sharon Needles

(*Snatch game spoilers)
Errr...
Why is Kennedy playing a boy? I get that Little Richard is quite effeminate but his gender expression is clearly male (I mean...he doesn't really wear girls clothes or anything like that), and tbqh most of the queens on this show make him look about as butch as Terry Crews. I mean...lol

KiN0

Methinks Ru might have been going for a drama-free season this time around.

If you listen to her podcast, Ru had stayed a few times that she doesn't like all the drama that happens in the workroom. I wouldn't be surprised if she deliberately picked girls who looked like they'd bring less friction.

But Ru is about to learn that drama makes for good TV, because God this group is boring.

Last season was drama free, barring Laganja and Gia. I think Ru might have been looking for a more balanced cast since everyone this season, with the exception of Jaidyn, is on a relatively similar level. Like others have said, there's no Bianca, Adore, or Courtney this season. Anybody could make it to the end.

zeopower6

Last season was drama free, barring Laganja and Gia. I think Ru might have been looking for a more balanced cast since everyone this season, with the exception of Jaidyn, is on a relatively similar level. Like others have said, there's no Bianca, Adore, or Courtney this season. Anybody could make it to the end.

I was so bored last year because it was kind of obvious Bianca/Adore/Courtney were top 3.

No way Darienne was going to be top 3. If only they let Ben in as a top 4 for the crown... then I might have cared more. I wanted Milk to go further. :(

I'm kind of a prude so I'm into Max's prudishness. I think it's sort of a diplomacy thing, like the same attitude that informs a person to say the appropriate thing (like how Max tends to support people in his team), makes you somehow more sensitive to things that are perceived as 'inappropriate'.

KiN0

I was so bored last year because it was kind of obvious Bianca/Adore/Courtney were top 3.

No way Darienne was going to be top 3. If only they let Ben in as a top 4 for the crown... then I might have cared more. I wanted Milk to go further. :(

Yeah, last season just collapsed on itself in the end despite all the great talent that was there. And this is coming from someone who adored the final three.

I hate to say it, but I think the show needs a "villain" to keep things entertaining.

S1 had rebecca
S2 had Tyra and Tati
S3 had that whole Heathers vs Boogers
S4 had Phi Phi and Willam
S5 had like everyone barring Alaska and Jinxxx
S6 didn't have anybody. The closest we came were Laganja and Gia and they both ended up flatlining. In Laganja's case the show pretty much died after she left.

Monocle

YES. Another strong runway, another correct elimination. (With a great lipsync by Jaidynn; one of the highlights of the season.) Kandy was completely dead. Just utterly out of her depth, drifting like a scrap of cardboard upon the rancid waters of the outhouse behind Honey Boo-Boo's pageant hall. The show seemed to give up on her this week, and not a moment too soon. Farewell Kandy, and thank you for your absence going forward.

Pearl has truly gotten a second wind. I am still not wowed by her aesthetic, but that Michelle Visage impersonation was 100% on point. Fantastic look and performance. So much for no personality. (Also: stay gorgeous, boo.)

Miss Fame continues to show that she's not the shallow pretty queen by being completely bonkers instead. Her tendency to get lost in her head and create awkward moments is actually sort of endearing. I look forward to the day she answers "How's your head?" correctly.

Max is now officially my top pick for winner. Everything about her personality and aesthetic works for me. So fierce, so charming. Michelle really ought to stop riding her ass over the gray hair thing. It's beautiful, it's perfect. I generally agree with Michelle's critiques, but she needs to let Max do her thing rather than set up pointless hoops for her to jump through. Very few queens across all seven seasons can claim to have such a characteristic persona that is so richly developed. Max is just a couple of rungs below Raja in terms of presence and presentation, with a tasteful veneer of camp. If she teamed up with Alaska I'm certain they would take over the world.

I expected more of Katya. Her performance was good but her runway look was unimpressive, even though I did like the concept. At this point it's safe to say her strongest area is the confessionals. Great personality, but an underwhelming presence in the competition. Which is weird because she still somehow strikes me as a formidable contender. Maybe she'll pull some thunder out of her vagoo in the last leg of the race.

Violet is Violet. As lovely as she is immature. Killed the runway almost as hard as Max.

Jaidynn, Kennedy, and Ginger still need to go. Then the real game can begin.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Glad Kandy Ho has gone
I went from not knowing who she was to actively not liking her

I'll agree that the girls that had Rupaul had a very hard time because theres not much there you can do, and it showed at Kandy Jaidyn and Kennedy all did pretty shit in the acting challenge. Kennedy best kiss Ginger's little piggies because she would have definitely been in the bottom two with that performance and awful awful runway look, carried through by two stronger girls.

Katya is becoming one of my faves. Her confessionals are genuinely funny and she actually seems bothered in them, unlike some of the other girls that just seem to do a rerun of events

Bitch, sit down and shut the hell up bitch!

Whether Ru said "Big personality" or "no personality" the fact remains that her tea was true.

Pearl has great aesthetic but no personality, and the personality that people credit her with is really her just being a lazy stoner floating through life...which I suppose COULD be funny if she had some self-awareness and the ability to hone it in and make it funny, but she doesn't. As of right now she's a homeless man's Willam.

Honestly, after tonight's episode I still share this sentiment about Pearl; it still feels like she's half-asleep for the majority of the episode. Every time the judges shout "you finally woke up Pearl!" I feel like I'm watching the show in an alternate universe or something.
:p

Raxus

With all this love Katya is getting, I have to ask.

Which queens could you watch in the confessional all day?

Bianca, Adore, Willam, Latrice, Alaska all pop into my head.

zeopower6

Jujubee.

She will read a bitch.

Also oh dear god, Untucked is a lot of bitter-old-queenness. Looking forward to seeing your reactions to it. :x

Vitanimus

this season has been absolute shit. the amount of team challenges gives no one a time to shine, unless you're ginger then you'll get an unwarranted large amount of confessional time despite being a two faced cunt

I'm only enjoying portions of the season because this is the season where I kept up with casting rumours and reading about Queens before the show started so I guess i have a certain bias

I think top 3 will be ginger for sure, katya considering what a positive edit she's getting and her extracurricular work she's putting in like videos and engaging with the rabid fanbase

I think the third spot is up debate. Max isn't top 3, so she has MC on lock... unless katya isn't top 3. I think it'll be between pearl or Violet. considering pearl has a sizeable fanbase for being hot as fuck, I think Ru will keep her in.

This is definitely one of my favorite seasons so far. Last season had a big crop of funny girls but the runway presentations suffered and everyone was obviously annoyed that the runway critiques played second fiddle to the crazy kooky acting challenges. Plus, it was obvious that some people were going to be front-runners right from the jump... we had assumed that Bianca, Courtney and Bendela would make it farther than like half of the cast.

This season the talent is so close and comparable that every week I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see who fucks up. There isn't someone that's standing out like a Bianca or Sharon, but that's because the editing isn't trying to frame a front-runner. It's been so careful about giving everyone pros and cons for people to evaluate, even though Katya is one of the funniest bitches in this show's history, and Ginger is ridiculously talented. Violet, Max, Pearl and Fame are definitely like top 10 as far as greatest runway walkers on this series, and they're all relatively young fresh queens. This group is really fun to watch imo.

And I STILL have no idea who the top three will be. I can see Ginger, Katya, Max, Violet and Pearl all in there.

I really hope they cut back on the acting challenges next season, they have been the dullest thing this season and it wasn't like they didn't have competition on that front.

It feels like we've had one every week except the first.

Some of these queens really aren't coming across well in Untucked. At least an OTT bitch is enjoyable, but there's some real sourness and it makes for uncomfortable watching. I find everything about ripe old Ginger (aged 29) to be so bizarre.

(Also, I love how Kandy's minimal amount of screentime has painted her in the worst possible light. Possible contender for worst edit ever?)

Most likely Top 3 is still Ginger, Pearl and Violet. I reckon JDF is going after Fame, but we're going to get the non-elimination within the next three episodes if we're going to get one at all.

I'm definitely curious as to how things will work out with Kennedy, Katya and Max. The latter two are really strong and I could definitely see them in the Top 3 on merit but they're not getting 'storyline' love in the same way which makes me doubt it. Kennedy's edit just confuses me and I zone out for her confessionals but we seem to be getting a lot more of them than I would like. She'll probably survive at least one more Bottom 2 against a more fan-preferred girl before being eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom