• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

That's true, of course, but the problem is Western bias.

When Russia trolls, the media generally portray it as a lie. Obviously, there are reasons why this is the case in Russia.

But the thing is, when Ukraine trolls, the media automatically presents it as fact.
Overall Western media corrects itself with new evidence.
Most people understand this.
For example: Snake Island. People weren't offended that initial reports from an active war zone were incorrect, they were relieved the soldiers may still be alive.
They didn't try to claim it didn't happen nor the gov compel people not talk about it with threat to suppress further once new info was available.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Overall Western media corrects itself with new evidence.
Most people understand this.
For example: Snake Island. People weren't offended that initial reports from an active war zone were incorrect, they were relieved the soldiers may still be alive.
They didn't try to claim it didn't happen nor the gov compel people not talk about it with threat to suppress further once new info was available.
There were plenty of people saying that it didn't matter if it was true or not; that the boost of morale was good enough and that Ukraine needed heroes.

BlackM1st

Banned
It's constant, everywhere. Even the post right above yours, a reporter tweeting a headline that is barely like the video he is sharing. No one is reflecting.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. – Mark Twain
It also creates a circle of silence. When people feel outnumbered they prefer to stay silent just to be safe and in the end there's no second opinions left.

Hari Seldon

Whole? No. Who said anything about the entire forces?

Underwater capabilities:

https://eurasiantimes.com/russias-record-breaking-submarine-armed-with-putins-super-weapon/

Sure bro, whatever makes you sleep better. Russia is weak, that's why we all here after all!
Dude they are communicating on open unsecured radio channels lmao. They are a 3rd world army using 1st world 80s tech.

Did you guys saw the last Putin speech?

The focus was completely domestic. Saying that Russia is fighting neonazi terrorists (something that simply don't work with the west anymore), tried to create a war hero and promised to raise soldiers salaries and compensation etc.

The man is afraid to lose internal support.
yes, the worst is how is he going to pay with and which goods? Russia is going down the toilet.

Since it is a new day, fuck putin

Vestal

Her reaction is priceless....

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

bah looks like it was posted previously.. my bad :)

Last edited:
I said this before and I’ll say it again. There is an absurd amount of propaganda flying around in all directions right now. And yes, some of it is obvious like the “ghost of Kiev” or Russian state media or the Snake Island soldiers magical resurrection. But a lot of it is more sophisticated. Designed to make you feel a certain way by playing to your preconceived notions. Maybe to instill fear or gin up anger.

It’s just something to keep in mind. Don’t get too caught up in what you read online right now. Yes, there is a difference between state-sponsored Russian propaganda and what we have in the Western world. That doesn’t mean this isn’t a ton of propaganda coming at people in the West right now too.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
There were plenty of people saying that it didn't matter if it was true or not; that the boost of morale was good enough and that Ukraine needed heroes.
The Ghost of Kyiv airlifted 143 dying soldiers from Snake Island, who had sunk 3 Russian cruisers with little more than their mastery of profanity, directly to President Zelinskyyyyy fighting on the front lines who took a few moments to touch their wounds with his palm, healing them instantly and very likely absolving them of any of their sins.

If you disagree with these Twitter facts (and mind you, I have a blue checkmark so everything I say is real), you are literally Hitler and a puppet of the KGB.

Havoc2049

Hopefully you don't believe this garbage. Tons of politicians and journalist over this past week have stated that Russia is being canceled by the international community, which is a fact. Selective editing by the left to paint the other side in a bad light with a bunch of false claims and associations. A tactic used by USSR/Russia and the KGB/FSB that the left in the West has been more than eagar to use.

Last edited:

Forsete

Looks like a majority of the Finnish parliament now is in favour of joining NATO (The social democrats had a change of heart).

And they are meeting with Biden tomorrow.

Sweden next or .... ?

Vestal

Looks like a majority of the Finnish parliament now is in favour of joining NATO (The social democrats had a change of heart).

And they are meeting with Biden tomorrow.

Sweden next or .... ?
Its hilarious how for the past year we kept hearing ... "NATO is obsolete... What good are they?!, NATO needs to be abolished" etc etc.... Many considered NATO to be at its weakest point of its sphere of influence and power in the last 5 years... Russia and China were salivating at the idea of a divided West and a dissolvement of the NATO alliance.

How a single week can change EVERYTHING... NATO now is arguably stronger than ever, and it looks geared to spread its sphere of influence even further...

ошибка (Woops)

Edit:

Welcome to 1980

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Hopefully you don't believe this garbage. Tons of politicians and journalist over this past week have stated that Russia is being canceled by the international community, which is a fact. Selective editing by the left to paint the other side in a bad light with a bunch of false claims and associations. A tactic used by USSR/Russia and the KGB/FSB that the left in the West has been more than eagar to use.
Blink 182 Reaction GIF

MaestroMike

Gold Member

When Vladimir Putin escalates his war, the world must meet him​

Muttering nuclear threats, Russia’s president vows to prevail in Ukraine whatever it takes​

Mar 5th 2022
MARVEL AT THE heroism and resilience of Ukraine. In the first days of war, the armoured might of Vladimir Putin shrivelled before the courage of the nation he had attacked. In the face of Mr Putin’s invasion, the Ukrainian people have discovered they are ready to die for the idea that they should choose their own destiny. To a cynical dictator that must be incomprehensible. To the rest of humanity it is an inspiration.

If only this week’s bravery were enough to bring the fighting to an end. Alas, Russia’s president will not withdraw so easily. From the start, Mr Putin has made clear that this is a war of escalation—a hygienic word for a dirty and potentially catastrophic reality. At its most brutal, escalation means that, whatever the world does, Mr Putin threatens to be more violent and more destructive even, he growls, if that means resorting to a nuclear weapon. And so he insists that the world back off while he sharpens his knife and sets about his slaughter.

Such a retreat must not happen. Not only because to abandon Ukraine to its fate would be wrong, but also because Mr Putin will not stop there. Escalation is a narcotic. If Mr Putin prevails today, his next fix will be in Georgia, Moldova or the Baltic states. He will not stop until he is stopped.

Escalation is at the heart of this war because it is how Mr Putin tries to turn defeat into victory. The first wave of his invasion proved as rotten as the cabal who planned it—just like his earlier efforts to suborn Ukraine. Mr Putin seems to have believed his own propaganda that the territory he has invaded is not a real country. The initial assault, which led with botched helicopter strikes and raids by lightly armed units, was conceived for an adversary that would implode. Instead, Ukrainian spirits have flourished under fire. The president, Volodymyr Zelensky, has been transformed into a war leader who embodies his people’s courage and defiance.

The optimism of the warmonger made Mr Putin lazy. He was so sure Ukraine would fall rapidly that he did not prepare his people for it. Some troops have been told they are on exercises, or that they will be welcomed as liberators. Citizens are not ready for a fratricidal conflict with their fellow Slavs. Having been assured that there would be no war, much of the elite feels humiliated. They are horrified at Mr Putin’s recklessness.

And Russia’s president believed that the decadent West would always accommodate him. In fact, Ukraine’s example has inspired marches through the capital cities of Europe. Western governments, having listened, have imposed severe sanctions. Germany, which only a week ago drew the line at sending anything more lethal than helmets, is dispatching anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, overturning decades of policy based on taming Russia by engaging with it.

Faced with these reverses, Mr Putin is escalating. In Ukraine he is moving to besiege the main cities and calling up his heavy armour to wantonly kill their civilian inhabitants—a war crime. At home he is bringing Russians to heel by redoubling his lies and subjecting his people to the harshest state terror since Stalin. To the West he is issuing threats of nuclear war.

The world must stand up to him, and to be credible it must demonstrate that it is willing to bleed his regime of the resources that enable him to wage war and abuse his own people even if that imposes costs on Western economies. The sanctions devised after Mr Putin annexed Crimea in 2014 were riddled with loopholes and compromises. Instead of being deterred, the Kremlin concluded that it could act with impunity. By contrast, the latest sanctions, imposed on February 28th, have crumpled the rouble and promise to cripple Russia’s financial system. They are effective because they are destructive.

The danger of escalation is that this can easily become a test of who is most willing and able to go to extremes. Recent wars have been asymmetric. Al-Qaeda and Islamic State would commit any atrocity, but their power was limited. America could destroy the planet, but against foes like the Taliban in Afghanistan, nobody imagined it was willing. The invasion of Ukraine is different, because Mr Putin can charge all the way to Armageddon and he wants the world to believe he is ready to do so.

The idea of Mr Putin using a battlefield nuclear weapon is surely unlikely, but not impossible. He has, after all, just invaded his neighbour. And so the world must deter him.

Some will say there is no point in saving Ukraine only to trigger a spiral that may destroy civilisation. But that is a false choice. Mr Putin says he wants to drive NATO out of the former Warsaw Pact countries and America out of Europe. If escalation serves him, the next confrontation will be even more dangerous because he will be less ready to believe that, for once, the West will stand its ground.

Others may conclude that Mr Putin is insane and deterrence is hopeless. True, his goals are abhorrent, as are his means of achieving them. Neither does he have Russia’s true interests at heart. But he nonetheless has an understanding of power and how to keep it. No doubt he is alive to the language of threats.

By contrast, still others will want to short-circuit escalation, saying that Mr Putin must be stopped before it is too late. As images of suffering emerge from the ruins of Ukraine’s cities, calls are going up for NATO to do something, such as to create a no-fly zone. However, enforcing one requires shooting down Russian aircraft and destroying Russian air-defences. Instead, NATO needs to preserve a clear line between attacking Russia and backing Ukraine, while leaving no doubt that it will defend its members. That is the best brake on escalation.

What, then, can it do to deter Mr Putin without courting devastation? Only Mr Zelensky and his people can decide how long to fight. But if Mr Putin causes a bloodbath, the West can tighten the screws. An oil-and-gas embargo would further ruin Russia’s economy. Ukraine’s backers can send more and better arms. NATO can deploy more troops in its frontline states.

Diplomacy matters, too. At peace talks in Belarus this week Russia still made outrageous demands, but negotiations should continue because they could help avert a war of attrition. The European Union has done well to open its arms to Ukrainian refugees, who already exceed 1m. A haven can strengthen the hand of the Ukrainian negotiators, as would a path to EU membership. China and India have so far refused to condemn Mr Putin. As he escalates, they may be sufficiently alarmed to be willing to try to talk him down.

And there is work to do in Russia. Military commanders should know they will be prosecuted for war crimes using the evidence generated by innumerable smartphones. So should Mr Putin’s entourage. His enforcers signed up to line their pockets in a kleptocracy, not for a ticket to The Hague. The West can discreetly assure them that, if they remove Russia’s president from power, Russia will get a fresh start. However nauseating, the West should give Mr Putin a route into retirement and obscurity—just as it should give asylum to those fleeing his terror.

A palace coup may come to seem more plausible as the horror of what Mr Putin has done sinks in. The economy faces disaster. Russian military casualties are growing. Russians’ Ukrainian kin are being massacred in a conflict unleashed to satisfy one man. Even now brave Russians are taking to the streets to protest against a crime that stains their country. In a deep sense, Mr Putin’s needless war is one that neither he nor Russia can win. ■

daveonezero

Banned
Its hilarious how for the past year we kept hearing ... "NATO is obsolete... What good are they?!, NATO needs to be abolished" etc etc.... Many considered NATO to be at its weakest point of its sphere of influence and power in the last 5 years... Russia and China were salivating at the idea of a divided West and a dissolvement of the NATO alliance.

How a single week can change EVERYTHING... NATO now is arguably stronger than ever, and it looks geared to spread its sphere of influence even further...

ошибка (Woops)

Edit:

Welcome to 1980

Nothings changed. The critique wa r the IS finances everyone’s defense. While they still buy oil and gas from Russia.

NATO is a joke and only a burden Americans civilians pay for with no reward.

It’s existence is is going to cause a global economic collapse.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know that it's juvenile to say this in here, with this situation, but this is the first time I am suffering from depression, since my re-born. I was talking with 85 years old grandma about atrocities Russians did here (yes they were mostly Russian, from behind Moscow) with tanks and stuff and how much it has common with '68...

I am unproductive, constantly looking for info and it's like a nightmare, which does not seems real...

Probably first time I really cared about geopolitics. And I know, Palestine and all of that. All wars are terrible and basically news here, throughout my childhood to this day, is all wars. Kosovo, Gulf War, Iraq War, Afghanistan war, Palestine...

It's 21st century, make war in CoD (or CS:GO in Russian case), not like this.

I posted mainly memes and funny stuff, because this whole thing shoot me down big time and it's a cope.

Stay safe my dudes

Слава Україні! 🌻

Also the motherfucking gaming section, simping to Tsar, disgusting. I really underestimate RT propaganda for past 8 years.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

”so about those civilian bombings”
”they’re Ukrainian fakes”

:messenger_ok:

"How dare you ask me straightforward questions! That's not acceptable! Your questions need to be formed to our own propaganda and lies!"

Vestal

Nothings changed. The critique wa r the IS finances everyone’s defense. While they still buy oil and gas from Russia.

WOW...
Thanks I needed a good laugh

Rest

We have some real comedians in this thread.

Yes, economic and social stability with important trade partners (both economic and cultural) which has lead to the continued industrial, economic, and educational advancement of humanity without interruption for the last 70 years is something American's don't want or need. That's not a reward at all.

Last edited:

Vestal

I know that it's juvenile to say this in here, with this situation, but this is the first time I am suffering from depression, since my re-born. I was talking with 85 years old grandma about atrocities Russians did here (yes they were mostly Russian, from behind Moscow) with tanks and stuff and how much it has common with '68...

I am unproductive, constantly looking for info and it's like a nightmare, which does not seems real...

Probably first time I really cared about geopolitics. And I know, Palestine and all of that. All wars are terrible and basically news here, throughout my childhood to this day, is all wars. Kosovo, Gulf War, Iraq War, Afghanistan war, Palestine...

It's 21st century, make war in CoD (or CS:GO in Russian case), not like this.

I posted mainly memes and funny stuff, because this whole thing shoot me down big time and it's a cope.

Stay safe my dudes

Слава Україні! 🌻

Also the motherfucking gaming section, simping to Tsar, disgusting. I really underestimate RT propaganda for past 8 years.
Take it all in strides.

I think everyone has a moment in life due to a major event or catastrophe where the world truly comes into focus. That sort of thing can be overwhelming, just don't get sucked into the worst case scenario thought process and try to pepper your mind with as much information and knowledge about the subject as you can.

rao0fhx2ga221.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They're all (top world leaders which yes, includes Putin, Trudeau, Macron, etc.) members of the WEF, and the founder (Klaus Schwab) has several books out, laying out the plans for all to read. People still put their heads in the sand and dismiss their own published words as "conspiracy theory."

You just can't make this shit up sometimes.

Last edited:

frontovik

Banned
Some of you keyboard warriors are pathetic. You think insulting Putin is going to change anything? Go out there and make a difference because your insults are meaningless to him.

The possibility of a nuclear war is becoming more and more likely. It’s sad that world tension has escalated to the brink.

The costs of living are skyrocketing and the global market is heading for a meltdown.

Last edited:

Rest

Hmmm... Yes, the previous guy's hand picked successor was elected fairly back then... And over and over since then.
Nothing fishy at all about that, one guy being elected over and over for 20 years. The fact that his opposition keeps getting arrested and beaten and tortured and assassinated is just coincidence. Even when we know the government did it.

🤡🤡🤡

Catphish

Gold Member
Some of you keyboard warriors are pathetic. You think insulting Putin is going to change anything? Go out there and make a difference because your insults are meaningless to him.

The possibility of a nuclear war is becoming more and more likely. It’s sad that world tension has escalated to the brink.

The costs of living are skyrocketing and the global market is heading for a meltdown.
Calm down.

Yeah things are not good, but we are very far from “the brink”.

A hot war with conventional forces (edit: between NATO and Russia) would almost certainly precede a nuclear war, and we’re not there yet.

Relax. Things will be what they must.

Last edited:

Vestal

Anyone cheering for directly engaging Russian forces is cheerleading nuclear war.

I am not a big fan of Biden, but I honestly respect how he is threading the needle in this situation, it's a really delicate balancing act.

Yup geopolitical issues/conflicts are never black and white. Even when there is a clear line between the sides as it is now.

Any and all moves/actions need to be perfectly orchestrated and vetted thoroughly prior to implementation.

"How dare you ask me straightforward questions! That's not acceptable! Your questions need to be formed to our own propaganda and lies!"

Its legitimately baffling how they almost unquestionably believe their own fabricated story.
How much koolaid propaganda has the common Russian population been exposed to over the last decade?
Is it a product of Putin and his entourage or his authoritarian regime that instills this?

pramod

Banned
At this point I'm thinking if Putin wants to reconstitute the Soviet Union, let him try. The West had decades to prepare if they really wanted to prevent it, but they didn't do a good enough job. They either didn't care enough or were distracted with other things. There really isn't much that can be done at this point besides escalating to nuclear war.

I just hope the lessons learned from this will be applied to Taiwan. Maybe it's not too late to bolster the defenses over there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom