• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrus

Gold Member
About a day ago, news broke that the Russian military arrested the elected Mayor of Melitopol and made him disappear; he was last seen on cctv with a bag over his head.

Today, they’ve installed a puppet mayor from one of the council members:

“Russian military reportedly installs new mayor of Melitopol

The Russian military has reportedly installed a new mayor in the occupied city of Melitopol following the alleged abduction of Mayor Ivan Fedorov by Moscow's troops on Friday afternoon.

Galina Danilchenko, formerly a deputy on the city council, appeared on local TV where she declared that her main task was construction of "basic mechanisms under the new reality".

Danilchenko said she was preparing to set up a "committee of people's deputies" to run the city, and urged residents not to take part in "extremist actions".

"Respected deputies, we were elected by the people. Our duty above all is to look after their well-being," she said.

"This committee will be tasked with administrative responsibilities on the territory of Melitopol and the Melitopol region."

The BBC cannot independently verify Danilchenko's appointment, though it has been widely reported in local media.”

darrylgorn

We’re getting pretty much in Cold War 2.0 right?
No, it will be a hot war at some point. Once Russia takes Ukraine there are already reports that he will go for the Baltic states and a former Russian government representative has gone on record to state a greater than 50% chance they will engage NATO.

It will be the bad ending.

Last edited:
qgJpr6M.jpg

sinnergy

They just hit Poland ! It’s going great … Putin pisses right over everyone’s earned freedom, apparently the world gives him a free pass .

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Some people are hoping for that after the war ends because they can't imagine any positive political change in Russia or China and don't want nuclear war. There are no guarantees as we are in crazy territory where psychos decide the future of the human race.

Chaplain

We have been in Cold War 2.0 for over 4-years.

"John is rejoined by pre-eminent historian Niall Ferguson to analyse the latest in the war between Ukraine and Russia. Ferguson, a regular traveller to Ukraine, heaps praise upon Ukranian president Volodymyr Zelensky, who is marking himself as perhaps the West’s most fearless leader, and predicts how the course of the conflict will transpire." (3/10/22)

00:00 Intro
00:38 Ukranian resistance & the role of president Zelensky
06:11 Shifting European attitudes
08:07 Western opinion & the US
11:36 Putin's multiple miscalculations
14:22 How long will the Russian invasion last?
16:16 Energy, inflation & economics
19:35 Climate action in the face of military crises
23:21 China - Taiwan & the Russian alliance
25:30 'Cold War II'
27:13 Conclusions

Article: Omicron Sounds the Death Knell for Globalization 2.0 (By Niall Ferguson, December 5, 2021)
The fifth blow was the outbreak of Cold War II, which should probably be dated from Vice President Mike Pence’s October 2018 Hudson Institute speech, the first time the Trump administration had taken its anti-Chinese policy beyond the confines of the president’s quixotic trade war (which only modestly reduced the bilateral U.S.-Chinese trade deficit). Not everyone has come to terms with this new cold war. Joseph Nye (and the administration of President Joe Biden) would still like to believe that the U.S. and China are frenemies engaged in “coopetition.” But Hal Brands and John Lewis Gaddis, John Mearsheimer and Matt Turpin have all come round to my view that this is a cold war — not identical to the last one, but as similar to it as World War II was to World War I. The only question worth debating is whether or not, as in 1950, cold war turns hot. There is no Thucydidean law that says this is inevitable, as Graham Allison has shown. But I agree with Mearsheimer: The risk of a hot war in Cold War II may actually be higher than in Cold War I.
Edited

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Last edited:

Ionian

My God, forgot he released that and people bought it. And openly defended his 'genius' :D

hahaha

She had more talent as a teen. That song sounds like hit his head off the same thing and swore.

Then again he did declare himself Jesus and even got dumped by a Kardasian. Still he got shoes made after complaining. His fashion-line was ... special.

Just like him.

Celcius

°Temp. member
According to Reddit he didn’t actually work for the New York Times anymore and the press badge that he had expired years ago. The USA isn’t going into ww3 over a single journalist. Still a tragedy though.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Honest question - if Russia wasn’t invading a European country but decided to invade a middle eastern or African country, would the world still be giving the same aid? I heard one of the uk leaders say something like “that kind of stuff happens all the time in other parts of the world but not here in Europe!”

Romulus

Honest question - if Russia wasn’t invading a European country but decided to invade a middle eastern or African country, would the world still be giving the same aid? I heard one of the uk leaders say something like “that kind of stuff happens all the time in other parts of the world but not here in Europe!”

African countries get invaded all the time?

Atrus

Gold Member

Ukraine is a democratic country being invaded by despotic facists. What is your comparable in this scenario? For Europeans, this will be the largest war and the greatest threat to democracy on the continent they've encountered since WW2 and the Soviet Union respectively.

The fact that Putinists routinely make references to nuclear war and reference further expansion into the Baltics, Sweden and Poland represent a major global concern.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

We went all in when Iraq attacked Kuwait. None of this half measure javelins and thoughts and prayers stuff.

Probably the largest African war was what we call the Rwandan genocide. You know, that was a total disaster, and there was very little intervention to stop it. You could also even say that it was part of a legacy of western influence in the region. I guess from the perspective of Bill Clinton, what he would get from stepping into such a mess would be another Vietnam style mess where a lot of American kids came back in body bags. Just to police a region that already hates the west due to French and Belgian colonial occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom