• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As far as I see it, this falls on the US as much as Russia.
While I am no fan of the USA's multiple acts of fucking around with other countries' business throughout history, Russia is ultimately the one who actively committed the act to invade, who actively committed the act to start war, who actively committed the act to harm civilians. There is a line, and that line was thoroughly crossed, so NO, this does not fall on the US as much as Russia.

There is huge difference between the clandestine fuckery the USA does and the actual war that Russia started.

Doczu

The face of stupidity.
Let me get that straight.

1. Some rando UA soldier posted a photo of a briefing in a gym of a school.
2. Russia starts shelling schools in the vicinity of the front lines hoping they will take out said soldiers during another briefing.

And this was posted at least 11 days ago, wonder if this coincides with Russia starting to target schools.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I'm no fan of Putin (not in the very least), but you have to agree that what he's been doing is nothing short of brilliant, in geopolitical terms.

Actually it’s quite the opposite. His understanding of history is skewed if not outright incorrect. He thinks Russia is still in the 1800’s.

1) He has massively blundered on how much the economic sanctions will hit. He has no influence on the geopolitical stage any longer as he is isolated. Also he’s set up Russia for years of poverty and inability to increase military spending on technology.

2) China hasn’t outright supported him. In fact, there could be an argument that they are displeased with the economic instability as they rely on the stability for their massive growth.

3) He’s exposed severe weaknesses in his military to other nations and due to to their botched war, has given added free intelligence to NATO.

4) He’s solidified NATO, the Western nations, and Europe for once. This is really unheard of in recent history and he’s managed to do the impossible.

5) NATO after years of lax spending and poor strategic weapons placement, are now on high alert and now fixing those mistakes.

6) He has unwittingly built reliance on China for goods at the same time as the world putting his oil on notice.

7) He’s now branded a war criminal socially and will most likely be branded legally at some point.

8) He’s let his generals and advisors lapse into yes men and lackeys thereby, depriving him of valuable advice.

9) Non NATO countries will also increase defence spending for their particular countries.

Yes, a real geopolitical genius. But what can you expect from someone who surrounds himself with statues of Catherine the Great and Alexander the Great and considers himself amongst their ilk. He’s like a bull in a China shop.

Thaedolus

I'm no fan of Putin (not in the very least), but you have to agree that what he's been doing is nothing short of brilliant, in geopolitical terms.
It always amazes me when people think idiots and thugs are smart because, in actuality, they’re (the idiots and thugs) too stupid to understand that their behavior isn’t tolerated for good reasons. Putin just lit his country on fire because he’s too short sighted and stupid to realize running a country like a mafia isn’t sustainable. His military can’t even drive their shitty broken down vehicles. Why? Because running a country like the rules don’t matter trickles down to everyone else who are supposed to be maintaining the equipment. Putin is an idiot for not realizing geopolitical success doesn’t happen by magic, or by being the biggest asshole.

Putin has ruined his country in the course of a couple weeks. There’s no scenario which I think he can be described as brilliant. He’s just willing to be a cunt, and keeps doubling down on it because he’s terrified of the reckoning that will eventually be his

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It always amazes me when people think idiots and thugs are smart because, in actuality, they’re (the idiots and thugs) too stupid to understand that their behavior isn’t tolerated for good reasons. Putin just lit his country on fire because he’s too short sighted and stupid to realize running a country like a mafia isn’t sustainable. His military can’t even drive their shitty broken down vehicles. Why? Because running a country like the rules don’t matter trickles down to everyone else who are supposed to be maintaining the equipment. Putin is an idiot for not realizing geopolitical success doesn’t happen by magic, or by being the biggest asshole.

Putin has ruined his country in the course of a couple weeks. There’s no scenario which I think he can be described as brilliant. He’s just willing to be a cunt, and keeps doubling down on it because he’s terrified of the reckoning that will eventually be his
I agree. He just set Russia back 20 years. It's not like sanctions are going to stop the second the war is over. It'll be a long time before things get back to normal. Even petty shit like McDonalds, you arent going to see them saying any time soon: "We're happy to announce we are opening up back in Russia to serve our customers".

Thankfully I think the only thing Putin did "right" given what he's done is amazingly his war is more controlled than a usual war of taking over countries. If this was WWII, it would be carpet bombing, fire bombing, no holds barred killing. Any Ukraine protestor standing in front of a makeshift barricade would had been gunned down or rolled over. But videos show Russian soldiers not really doing that like it's 1942.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I live in North Poland... so a bit safer but still.
Makes me think, "maybe I should put that new ikea living room on hold for now"
What I am most worried about, that some drunk Ivan will strike some NATO land with some rocket and then it basically does not make a difference where you live. Since Russia, Nato territory...

not ideal™

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What I am most worried about, that some drunk Ivan will strike some NATO land with some rocket and then it basically does not make a difference where you live. Since Russia, Nato territory...

not ideal™
No escape for me anyway. Even if I had family abroad, I would need to enlist anyway.

I mean, this is some ww2 shit. You dont just bomb civilian cities like that. wtf

Last edited:
How are Russia even going to pay for it? China are in a win/win scenario if they stay neutral as all the other superpowers will sanction each other to death and China will be rolling in money as they can trade to everyone.
China does not need to do anything at all. Either way, they can get whatever they want from Russia now.

If Russia ends up in shambles(monetarily)? They win.

If Russia ends up losing the war? They win.

If Russia wins the war? They win.

The only thing that can ruin the plans are Putin nukes, and then WW3 nuketown baby. This is why I do not think they will assist much to Putin.

If there is a coup, and the new President is a good person and not a corrupt POS, he could go to the west, and start a new age for the people in Rusia. Taking all the power from china.

I live in North Poland... so a bit safer but still.
Makes me think, "maybe I should put that new ikea living room on hold for now"
Better to spend that money on canned food and a shotgun.

Just put CNN on and headline was "Russia asks China for military assistance in Ukraine".

That crazy bastard Putin has lost his mind.

Tams

Gold Member
Honest question - if Russia wasn’t invading a European country but decided to invade a middle eastern or African country, would the world still be giving the same aid? I heard one of the uk leaders say something like “that kind of stuff happens all the time in other parts of the world but not here in Europe!”
People give a shit about stuff that's more likely to affect them. People also give a shit about people who are more like them.

Who'd have thunk?!

Africans and Arabs have been at each others' throats since forever. We used to too, in fact we took it to an extreme. We at least hoped that had ended, partly due to going to such an extreme. But Pooty Wooty has decided that we need more death, destruction and suffering.

Fools idol

Banned
China will not be stupid enough to arm Russia now. Their economy can not survive the sanctions that will come immediate and swift. Xi unlike Poutine has a shread of intelligence and self awareness left, and with Trump gone likely will dive at the chance to heal US / CN relations.

I feel like Xi was watching Putin early on much like a bystander watches the bigger dude in a bar fight before he realises he is a drunken fool about to get his ass kicked and the smaller guy is going to win.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

China will not be stupid enough to arm Russia now. Their economy can not survive the sanctions that will come immediate and swift. Xi unlike Poutine has a shread of intelligence and self awareness left, and with Trump gone likely will dive at the chance to heal US / CN relations.

I feel like Xi was watching Putin early on much like a bystander watches the bigger dude in a bar fight before he realises he is a drunken fool about to get his ass kicked and the smaller guy is going to win.
Internal Chinese state media and censorship is fully behind Putin. People have said that "saving face" is a major issue for these leaders, much more important to them than making smart decisions that are good for their people. Also, CCP people are turbo aggressive about the idea of a "multipolar world" where alliances of Westernized democracies are made to appear to be the second rate power group and in a permanent state of decline.

QSD

not ideal™
I wouldn't worry about that *too much*, one stray missle does not immediately mean WOIII, there have been plenty of mistakes, dubious incidents and Russian provocations in the past and generally NATO kept their cool. Only if there is the perception that the Russian attack was 100% deliberate will the article 5 stuff get triggered.

M1chl

I wouldn't worry about that *too much*, one stray missle does not immediately mean WOIII, there have been plenty of mistakes, dubious incidents and Russian provocations in the past and generally NATO kept their cool. Only if there is the perception that the Russian attack was 100% deliberate will the article 5 stuff get triggered.
One stray missile to some elderly house, school, hospital tho? I don't know, seems pretty big deal. You know hitting field would obviously did nothing, but some infrastructure, that would be probably very different in terms of damage.

QSD

One stray missile to some elderly house, school, hospital tho? I don't know, seems pretty big deal. You know hitting field would obviously did nothing, but some infrastructure, that would be probably very different in terms of damage.

I get what you're saying but IMHO even if a Russian missle accidentaly hits a Polish baby unicorn sanctuary, as long as they apologize, Poland will be like "Hold me back!!" and the other NATO members will dutifully oblige, dragging Poland away while telling them "it's not worth it, Broland", allowing everyone to save face.

Fools idol

Banned
Internal Chinese state media and censorship is fully behind Putin. People have said that "saving face" is a major issue for these leaders, much more important to them than making smart decisions that are good for their people. Also, CCP people are turbo aggressive about the idea of a "multipolar world" where alliances of Westernized democracies are made to appear to be the second rate power group and in a permanent state of decline.

What the CCP media brainwash says and what the CCP actually does is a completely different thing. China are not stupid, they know what will happen within 24 hours of them making the wrong choice here.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I get what you're saying but IMHO even if a Russian missle accidentaly hits a Polish baby unicorn sanctuary, as long as they apologize, Poland will be like "Hold me back!!" and the other NATO members will dutifully oblige, dragging Poland away while telling them "it's not worth it, Broland", allowing everyone to save face.
I disagree wholeheartedly. That would involve the Artcle 5 response which would indicate that would be a direct attack on the United States. Ignoring this would invalidate NATO completely from a military standpoint. Also they couldn’t ignore it as it would be in breach of what they signed. Not going to happen.

Wildebeest

What the CCP media brainwash says and what the CCP actually does is a completely different thing. China are not stupid, they know what will happen within 24 hours of them making the wrong choice here.
I'm saying there are two levels of brainwash here. The first is the mass media brainwash. Putin good, Putin stronk, Putin friendo. Then the CCP internal brainwash. China is the future. China is the centre of the world and other countries are a chaotic mess of barbarians and savages. The best days of west are over, and their strength based only on lies.

Atrus

Gold Member

When a Russian SU-34 accidentally and momentarily strayed into Turkish airspace, it was immediately shot down. No nuclear war.

When the Israeli’s used a Russian patrol craft to shield themselves from a Syrian missile, killing all aboard, there was no nuclear war.

When Wagner Group was ordered to attack US forces in Syria, the Americans glassed them into oblivion. Again, no nuclear war.

Russian lives are a meaningless consumable to Putin. He’s not going to start a nuclear war just because NATO retaliated for a “mistake”.

QSD

I disagree wholeheartedly. That would involve the Artcle 5 response which would indicate that would be a direct attack on the United States. Ignoring this would invalidate NATO completely from a military standpoint. Also they couldn’t ignore it as it would be in breach of what they signed. Not going to happen.

IIRC they have to agree that it's an actual attack, not an accident, before article 5 triggers. If it's an accident, there may still be some sabre rattling, but no war.

M1chl

Do you have the feeling that Putin would apologize or they would in any case gives single fuck? I don't really think so, they would say anything for that matter, at best "oh look the west starting to do same thing as Ukraine, we need to go further to save the lebens....the people". They are deranged and I live quite close to all of that and it's making me nervous.

Fools idol

Banned
I'm saying there are two levels of brainwash here. The first is the mass media brainwash. Putin good, Putin stronk, Putin friendo. Then the CCP internal brainwash. China is the future. China is the centre of the world and other countries are a chaotic mess of barbarians and savages. The best days of west are over, and their strength based only on lies.

Before I say what I am going say to this, I do not support China at all.

That out of the way, many highly educated financier think tanks have already projected China will be the world leader in the near future. Ray Dalio, the most successul macro economics investor of all time and perhaps one of the most respected 'thinkers' in the billionaire club, recently made a fatastic video on what is currently happening as we enter the end of the great cycle once again.

It's a scary watch, as much as it outlays what is coming for the USA and lets just say it isn't pretty for the west. The established normal we have right now is fleeting to say the least.

Last edited:

QSD

Do you have the feeling that Putin would apologize or they would in any case gives single fuck? I don't really think so, they would say anything for that matter, at best "oh look the west starting to do same thing as Ukraine, we need to go further to save the lebens....the people". They are deranged and I live quite close to all of that and it's making me nervous.

Obviously I have no crystal ball but Putin doesn't want open war with NATO and NATO doesn't want open war with Putin so they will look for an 'out' if something happens accidentally.

If something happens non accidentally... well the most likely scenario would be Putin striking a weapons transport heading to Ukraine while it's still on NATO territory. That would def trigger article 5. But Putin would have to be extremely foolhardy to try such a stunt

Wildebeest

Before I say what I am going say to this, I do not support China at all.

That out of the way, many highly educated financier think tanks have already projected China will be the world leader in the near future. Ray Dalio, the most successul macro economics investor of all time and perhaps one of the most respected 'thinkers' in the billionaire club, recently made a fatastic video on what is currently happening as we enter the end of the great cycle once again.

It's a scary watch, as much as it outlays what is coming for the USA and lets just say it isn't pretty for the west. The established normal we have right now is fleeting to say the least.
The thing is, maybe there is some truth in it. But who can say they will have a smooth ride to that sort of world beating dominance. Who can say if they actually understand what they need to do to get there, or if they will just blow everything because of hubris and chauvinism. Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us.

Fools idol

Banned
The thing is, maybe there is some truth in it. But who can say they will have a smooth ride to that sort of world beating dominance. Who can say if they actually understand what they need to do to get there, or if they will just blow everything because of hubris and chauvinism. Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us.

My biggest fear right now is that Poots just says fuck it like a cornered rat and presses the big red button. We can only pray the Nato gang have something in place to stop that from happening.

M1chl

Obviously I have no crystal ball but Putin doesn't want open war with NATO and NATO doesn't want open war with Putin so they will look for an 'out' if something happens accidentally.

If something happens non accidentally... well the most likely scenario would be Putin striking a weapons transport heading to Ukraine while it's still on NATO territory. That would def trigger article 5. But Putin would have to be extremely foolhardy to try such a stunt
I mean, doesn't he already live up to these words?

Wildebeest

My biggest fear right now is that Poots just says fuck it like a cornered rat and presses the big red button. We can only pray the Nato gang have something in place to stop that from happening.
Not worth worrying about. This sort of invasion does send the message to all the nations in the world that they should either arm themselves with nuclear weapons or join a pact with deterrence like NATO. Seems less chaotic if Nato expands than if more "rogue states" get their own arsenal, but perhaps that is my decadent western cultural bias.

I mean, doesn't he already live up to these words?
Nato forces outnumber Russia 5 to 1 in most areas. He'll trigger something that will see the complete annihilation of his forces and end his reign for sure.
There's no way out for him if he triggers Nato military action. He gives off threats yes but he would be very foolish to follow through with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom