• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure, but attacking NATO is still on another level entirely.
Exactly. I keep saying this. He won't be THAT stupid to escalate things to that point there's only so many times you can poke a bear until it decided its had enough.
He is already weakened by these sanctions and the lengthy conflict with Ukraine will only hamper his forces the longer this goes on.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Slightly off topic but holy shit @ what this is doing to gas prices... This is just insane... Yesterday when I was going to the gym 1 liter Diesel was @ 1,95 EUR (which is already the highest it's been BY FAR) and today it's already @ 2,20 EUR. Damn... Driving car is becoming a luxuray if this goes on. Luckily I do not have to drive that much...

The US doesn't get much oil from Russia. We make enough to supply this country with over 50% of our oil needs. The rise in gas prices is wholly the fault of the oil companies. I'm relieved that some car companies are freeing themselves from big oil by making a majority of their fleet electric or hybrid only!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The rise in gas prices is wholly the fault of the oil companies.
John Candy Reaction GIF

akimbo009

Gold Member
Before I say what I am going say to this, I do not support China at all.

That out of the way, many highly educated financier think tanks have already projected China will be the world leader in the near future. Ray Dalio, the most successul macro economics investor of all time and perhaps one of the most respected 'thinkers' in the billionaire club, recently made a fatastic video on what is currently happening as we enter the end of the great cycle once again.

It's a scary watch, as much as it outlays what is coming for the USA and lets just say it isn't pretty for the west. The established normal we have right now is fleeting to say the least.

China has massive real estate debt and other systemic financial problems along with a massive demographic issue. There is plenty of lights flashing which is causing Xi to act more aggressively - and it's not the trajectory of the US.

China is in a lot worse shape than they'd like to admit - which is why I do suspect they may take action here and support Russia. They need to change the rules - they aren't inevitable.

FunkMiller

Exactly. I keep saying this. He won't be THAT stupid to escalate things to that point there's only so many times you can poke a bear until it decided its had enough.
He is already weakened by these sanctions and the lengthy conflict with Ukraine will only hamper his forces the longer this goes on.

I actually think he is stupid enough to try to test NATO, but I don't think he's stupid enough to launch nukes after whatever force he uses to do so gets wiped off the face of the planet.

RAÏSanÏa

I actually think he is stupid enough to try to test NATO, but I don't think he's stupid enough to launch nukes after whatever force he uses to do so gets wiped off the face of the planet.
That's one of the reasons I mentioned disagreeing with the video posted by Chaplain Chaplain .
It might less to do with stupidity and more with survival instinct.
No point in waving dick at them. If there's other threats then it might be time to adjust and advise to give balls a tug.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I get what you're saying but IMHO even if a Russian missle accidentaly hits a Polish baby unicorn sanctuary, as long as they apologize, Poland will be like "Hold me back!!" and the other NATO members will dutifully oblige, dragging Poland away while telling them "it's not worth it, Broland", allowing everyone to save face.

U.S already stated that even if they fired into NATO by mistake, it would mean NATO Action as a response. FUCK, I hope I can win the lotto, I want to build a bunker and play Fallout 1-76 while we get hammered by Nukes, you'll find my skeleton on the couch. MY PC is yours, whoever finds my bones.

MrMephistoX

If he’s stupid enough to test NATO he’s possibly stupid enough nuke a target in Ukraine with a tactical battlefield weapon. It would be suicide to nuke a NATO country but dropping a small yield bomb in Ukraine is something on the table.

Last edited:

mxbison

Which is biting them in the ass right now (regarding gas prices).

I'm no fan of Putin (not in the very least), but you have to agree that what he's been doing is nothing short of brilliant, in geopolitical terms. For example, you can't technically call military troops movement an "invasion" if those troops are supporting a separatist region (Donbass in this case). It'd be like calling the argentinean liberating army that came to my country with San Martin "an invading force", when in reality we were trying to beat the spaniards to gain independence.

But in reality, we all know the Donbass thing was an invasion that was years in the making (via subversion first).

I really hope this is as much as things escalate and then we get back to normal, which means Ukraine being a "buffer zone" and Russia being Russia.

Hitler did the exact same thing. And I assume he wasn't the first one either.

Nothing genius about it. It was totally predictable, even tabloids and Reddit armchair generals knew it.

ShadowNate

Since the channel does not offer much info, the song cover is by Boyce Avenue (featuring Connie Talbot), who mostly (exclusively?) do song covers.
The guy singer is not Zelenskyy -- he is one of the Manzano brothers who started the band, I think Alejandro.

RAÏSanÏa

the most salient detail here:

e.g. even the Russian church employs mob-like tactics!

An Orthodox leader in Turkey is quoted as being another target in this post.
The Greek government spokesman this week said Mitsotakis was due to visit the Istanbul-based Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I on Sunday.

Bartholomew, who has said he is “a target for Moscow”, called during the mass for an “immediate ceasefire on all fronts” in Ukraine.

Tams

Gold Member
What's the purpose for them leaking this video ? i don't get it , should this be hidden from public ?
The tweet was wrong, they didn't say kidnap. But of course it would have been. You don't send 'special forces' to get children from an orphanage that isn't yours.

And they think it makes them look good amongst their supporters. They're probably not wrong there. They don't care what we think.

Not that I mind. All the more to wish he and his goons die horrible, painful dearhs.

GHG

Gold Member
Might be a little tilted from Grimes breaking up with him and moving in with Chelsea Manning romantically, right after Elon and Grimes had a second child together. :lollipop_hushed: Regardless, he's been supporting Ukraine with actions rather than words.

Yep which, as always, is the most important thing.

People are going to forget that when responding to these tweets though, even though they themselves are doing nothing other than adding a few flags to their social media names.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So many of his decisions have lacked logic, common sense, and rationality at this point, I'm not sure I agree as what you are saying would involve all those things. I think he does want conflict with NATO, but he doesn't want to be the one who starts it (nevermind he's outnumbered 5-1). He could sell that in the State media. Remember, we are dealing with someone who lives in a bubble and probably not someone who takes advice from anyone around him.

What I don't believe he will do is use nuclear armaments. I believe he values self-preservation over anything else (even his strange Russian martyrdom ideology).

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Might be a little tilted from Grimes breaking up with him and moving in with Chelsea Manning romantically, right after Elon and Grimes had a second child together. :lollipop_hushed: Regardless, he's been supporting Ukraine with actions rather than words.
Not that you were implying it. My takeaway is that the gesture doesn't buy copyright or co-opting.

TheMan

So where can one go for a realistic overview/summary of how things have been going until now? Seems like all the positive news about Ukrainians holding steady, capturing troops and blowing up helicopters has dried up. Now it seems to mostly be about Russian shelling and killing more people daily

Ionian

So where can one go for a realistic overview/summary of how things have been going until now? Seems like all the positive news about Ukrainians holding steady, capturing troops and blowing up helicopters has dried up. Now it seems to mostly be about Russian shelling and killing more people daily

This thread is pretty good. The reality is though that Russia can overwhelm them with brute force because of numbers.

It's a bloody political war, a war the Ukraine won't be able to deal with indefinitely without assistance. The fact that reports of their success so far should be celebrated as it gives people hope.

The reality is Putin coming to the table to negotiate. (For an end). It's not sure he will and even if he does what he'll demand. The Ukraine can't last on their own. It's beyond shameful that their country is being treated like this.

The war is also one of propaganda on both sides.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Just a reminder of the cost of this unprovoked war for anyone who thinks it was perhaps justifiable or worth it if we can just understand Putin’s grievances

Oh god don't say "unprovoked" you will send the loonies into a 5 page rant about the evil of NATO and how they are the ones responsible for Russian rockets fired from a Russian MRLS crewed by Russians who have received orders from Russian commanders into a hospital.

It's like they ignore all the steps inbetween and the fact NATO is doing all in its power to avoid open warfare with Ukraine left in the middle.

68lmwj.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom