• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The US doesn't get much oil from Russia. We make enough to supply this country with over 50% of our oil needs. The rise in gas prices is wholly the fault of the oil companies. I'm relieved that some car companies are freeing themselves from big oil by making a majority of their fleet electric or hybrid only!
Huh? The gas prices are wholly the fault of Biden and the left pushing “green” propaganda to get their bills through which had way more than climate change initiatives. They were going up along with everything else way before Russia attacked.

Thaedolus

Huh? The gas prices are wholly the fault of Biden and the left pushing “green” propaganda to get their bills through which had way more than climate change initiatives. They were going up along with everything else way before Russia attacked.
2j0r1sr.jpg
Have you considered the effects of Russsian mustard gas on global supply chains tho?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude... Gas prices shot up as soon as there was TALK of an oil embargo. We make our own oil with the rest being from Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries. Russia contributes less than 10% of our oil needs.

The oil companies, as well as others, use inflation as an excuse to artificially shoot up prices! Are you giving them the benefit of a doubt?
Dude, the US produces the most oil in the world, more than all the oil producing countries combined. We just export it instead of providing it to our own country, and buy from other countries to 'grease the palms' as they say.

We could be, and have been energy independent... at one time.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gave me the chills seeing the map strike zones. This is with a fraction of the available bombs. Not counting cobalt nuclear bombs, the effects of nuclear stations probably having meltdowns due to strikes or loss of power over a month. Nuclear winter? Nobody can even predict the death count on that ☠️

And doesn’t count bio or chemical weapons.

We’re truly fucked if someone snap and pushes the button.

Doczu

Annnd Elon just challenged Putin to single combat with Ukraine as the wager.

Everything is shit and giggles up to the moment you realize thst your enemy is a former KGB operative, who was required to undergo (deadly) hand to hand combat trainings and is a master of Judo.

Don't do it Elon or Jeff Bezos will be.the only billionaire willing to go to space and we will end in an interstellar Amazon warehouse without you 😐

Wildebeest

Dude, the US produces the most oil in the world, more than all the oil producing countries combined. We just export it instead of providing it to our own country, and buy from other countries to 'grease the palms' as they say.

Didn't negative prices from 2020 shut down a lot of production? Can't just push a button to get that back.

Thaedolus

So the state should control the means of production/sale of oil on the markets? Trying to understand the mechanism for disconnecting the private oil extraction enterprise from global markets.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So the state should control the means of production/sale of oil on the markets? Trying to understand the mechanism for disconnecting the private oil extraction enterprise from global markets.
Reread what you just wrote. The state is still controlling whether they utilize internally at a cheaper rate, or force companies back into the more expensive global markets.

Thaedolus

Reread what you just wrote. The state is still controlling whether they utilize internally at a cheaper rate, or force companies back into the more expensive global markets.
That doesn’t answer my question. I asked what ought to be, you’re describing what you think is the current state is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That doesn’t answer my question. I asked what ought to be, you’re describing what you think is the current state is.
Less reliance on the global oil cartels. We have the means, and utilized it before.

But it's not about that in agenda based policy, it's about forcing of hands. Unfortunately now is not the right time with war(s) raging, and it will have catastrophic effects.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

This is getting more and more off topic with the run-on questions and we can take it to DMs if you like, but reversing several policies that were torn up 4 days in office would be a good start.
You’re right, it is off topic. It’s just that I’m keenly aware of the problems of crony capitalism as well as government overreach and over regulation, and navigating that is full of complexities. So when someone claims that it’s “just a matter” of this or that, it makes me curious to know if they actually know something I don’t or not.

Ionian

I guess it's not that bad

FNzfx0CWYAI-n5u

It allows people to be creative : D

However the situation that the circle is bigger than bounds, is triggering me : (

Oh Musk has a history of stupid statements, that due to his wealth he'll just walk back and laugh when criticized. Dude loves it.

He thinks, 'LOL, was trolling!', every single time.

But hey, he has the money to so never faces any real consequences. It's hilariously evil but he seems to always come out richer.

Or, the richest troll on the planet. I both hate yet respect that people seem to give him a pass every time. Hard not to even though I don't like the dude. He's playing people like a fiddle and laughing all the way to his bank statements.

Tams

Gold Member
Why did they hesitate in the first place?
Because:
  1. They aren't so hot with not causing suffering, if not human rights violations, if not war crimes.
  2. They have economic ties with Russia (and China).
  3. They very much like to use any and all situations to their advantage.
I'm guessing they calculated that siding with Russia just isn't worth the damage it would cause them. And they can brush off mention of their attacks as even their most egregious over the last decade or so are still nowhere near as bad as what Russia has managed in mere weeks.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh Musk has a history of stupid statements, that due to his wealth he'll just walk back and laugh when criticized. Dude loves it.

He thinks, 'LOL, was trolling!', every single time.

But hey, he has the money to so never faces any real consequences. It's hilariously evil but he seems to always come out richer.

Or, the richest troll on the planet. I both hate yet respect that people seem to give him a pass every time. Hard not to even though I don't like the dude. He's playing people like a fiddle and laughing all the way to his bank statements.
I am well aware, but I don't want to start anti-mask crusade here. I really dislike him, but I like what his companies produced. SpaceX and Tesla have great products, but I doubt that it's his brain contribution to some major extent.

Also he is pro-Ukraine, so it does not make sense to me, to start it here, you know.

Ionian

I am well aware, but I don't want to start anti-mask crusade here. I really dislike him, but I like what his companies produced. SpaceX and Tesla have great products, but I doubt that it's his brain contribution to some major extent.

Also he is pro-Ukraine, so it does not make sense to me, to start it here, you know.

Ah was simply pointing out his history of changing his mind on a dime once it doesn't go his way.

I said nothing about masks, just laughed at the pic you posted as, well, not like he lasted long in that role.

He can't be trusted to not change his mind, that was my point. He's proven that for years before offering help to the Ukraine for internet connections. Meant no offense to you, just worth pointing out his past.

MrMephistoX

This video is all sorts of wild.

Have to admit that was cathartic after seeing exterior shots of Russian tanks shelling apartment buildings and the aftermath on the inside. IDK how common that style of building is outside of China and apparently Russia and Ukraine but these neighborhoods literally look like my wife’s hometown in northern China.

Last edited:

M1chl

Ah was simply pointing out his history of changing his mind on a dime once it doesn't go his way.

I said nothing about masks, just laughed at the pic you posted as, well, not like he lasted long in that role.

He can't be trusted to not change his mind, that was my point. He's proven that for years before offering help to the Ukraine for internet connections. Meant no offense to you, just worth pointing out his past.
I mean, I said more or less that I agree with you. I haven't pushback on your claims at all : )

Forsete

So this bio-lab talk has really gotten traction here in Sweden.

Heard 3 colleagues talk about it today.
Soon the war is the US fault (honestly, I already heard that one).

Thaedolus

The professional contrarian society here, which seems to be synonymous with the paid Russian Shill society, has been running with that shit too.

Somehow with them it’s always America’s fault when other bad people do bad things. And somehow that always means vaccines don’t work too and Putin is actually really smart

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This video is all sorts of wild.

Honestly shows excellent understanding of there vehicle. Spots a vehicle fires a few shots and realises the vehicle hasent responded and has ERA from external detonation, likely a tank and backs out, as the 30mm would take some work to get through the armour. Second finds BMP-1 fires into turret to remove threat of gunner, then hoses through lower front plate so that entire vehicle inside and crew is shredded.

This video shows how important a good thermal sight on a vehicle is, which sadly many of the Ukrainian modernisation kits lack, the good news is so do most of the Russians, however the BTR-4 is one of the most Modern Vehicles in Ukraine service and has all the bells and whistle's

1200px-BTR-4%2C_Kyiv_2021%2C_13.jpg

Don't let the fact it shares a designation and role of the older Russian BTR's fool you, it is much closer in design philosophy to a western IFV and it shows.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

it kind of is though.. putin sees the current US government as idiotic balless babies.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Countries have things to gain and for Russia for whatever reason they LOVE land masses. They want land give them one of the ex Soviet states and this exhausting media Ukraine war thing never happens.

Countries have things to gain and for Russia for whatever reason they LOVE land masses. They want land give them one of the ex Soviet states and this exhausting media Ukraine war thing never happens.

Yes give them Ukraine and this Ukraine war thing never happens. You've solved it.

akimbo009

Gold Member

That's pretty surprising. Not sure why Sweden, who is on the "who do we go after next" map would be seeing this as anything other than for what it is. Can you expand, curious?
Who's been telling you that? Because it hasn't been Putin from the speeches of his I've seen.

Putin behaves and has no respect for the West, US included.

Wildebeest

People are arguing down to minutia if the US is too strong or weak in various areas while Putin does what he wants, bombs civilians out of their homes, and creates millions of refugees.

Catphish

Gold Member
Before I say what I am going say to this, I do not support China at all.

That out of the way, many highly educated financier think tanks have already projected China will be the world leader in the near future. Ray Dalio, the most successul macro economics investor of all time and perhaps one of the most respected 'thinkers' in the billionaire club, recently made a fatastic video on what is currently happening as we enter the end of the great cycle once again.

It's a scary watch, as much as it outlays what is coming for the USA and lets just say it isn't pretty for the west. The established normal we have right now is fleeting to say the least.

Great watch. Thank you for posting it. 👍

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
High gas prices are due to the high price of oil. There are a multitude of causes, domestic and global. Even if the US was able to supply all it's oil needs that wouldn't mean it was instantly decoupled from the global market.

M1chl

Is it tho? Since all fuels are both on open market, so it does make sense that the prices are rising, when the cheap options is no longer present. I mean that keystone pipeline is long time off to be finished and that is only serving to bring Canadian oil to USA, so I am not seeing this connections. I could be wrong tho...

Last edited:

belmarduk

That's ridiculous. Do you think the US president has a magic button that controls gas prices? Those have gone up around the world. Does Biden control gas prices everywhere? Its the most basic of economic principles, supply and demand. People didn't use nearly as much fuel during the COVID epidemic and now that people are driving a lot more, they are using more fuel.. thus, the price goes up.. but you knew that.

Last edited:

Forsete

That's pretty surprising. Not sure why Sweden, who is on the "who do we go after next" map would be seeing this as anything other than for what it is. Can you expand, curious?

Putin behaves and has no respect for the West, US included.
Well to be honest it is just my shitty little bubble in Sweden.

Not the most representative picture.

One of the guys has lived many years in Russia where he used to work for a Swedish company. He is big sceptic towards the US.
The other guy who I used to respect became a total nutjob during COVID talking only about conspiracy theories and how everyone who took the Pfizer vaccine would die. Even mentioned 5G once before I turned my hearing off. Reads a lot of "alternative media" where this BS spreads. I think he is the one who does the reading and then spreads the BS around my workspace, which everyone else who is on the same page so to say just parrots.

Fools idol

Banned
Lol.

Not to be mean but the 'lets go brandon' soundboard response doesn't work for this one.

Markets are complicated, and much as you would probably love Biden to be responsible, he really has very little influence at all on the cost of gas globally or in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom