• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tams

Gold Member
Has anyone in here been critical of Biden's enormous military aid package to Ukraine yesterday? I'm American, and I'm wondering why we did that. Regardless of whether Ukraine is in the right here, or deserves aid/compassion (which they do), this could and likely will be perceived by Putin as a bright red line which essentially constitutes an all but formal declaration of war by the US. Remind me how that is good for the American people again? This is almost assuredly going to cause an escalation on Putin's part, and we shouldn't be this cavalier against a nuclear power which has an increasingly unhinged authoritarian at the helm who has had no qualms in recent months raising the specter of nukes.
Fuck off with that shit.

If we allow Putin to dictate like that, he can paint the red lines wherever is convenient for him. The aid is going to Ukraine and thankfully there's nothing the likes of you can do to stop it. Stop being so naïve.

And it's 'spectre'.

Loki

Count of Concision
Fuck off with that shit.

If we allow Putin to dictate like that, he can paint the red lines wherever is convenient for him. The aid is going to Ukraine and thankfully there's nothing the likes of you can do to stop it. Stop being so naïve.

And it's 'spectre'.

Are you American? lol @ you thinking that me urging greater prudence is tantamount to supporting Putin. No. That's binary thinking. Double lol @ lecturing me on grammar when you're not even aware that SPECTER is the common American spelling of the word.

Thaedolus

I'm not really an expert on military stuff, so how does 20~k casualities mean the Russian forces are nearly spent? Isn't that like 1/10th of their forces there? And now we hear about how they are bringing in 40k mercenaries (not that I expect a lot out of them...).
Because military operations aren’t like Age of Empires where you can just keep all units fighting until the last man standing wins. At a certain point all of those casualties completely degrade the abilities of the rest of the force to be effective. A military base might staff 2,000 people but if takes 200 casualties in one critical function, it ceases to operate.

Tams

Gold Member
Are you American? lol @ you thinking that me urging greater prudence is tantamount to supporting Putin. No. That's binary thinking. Double lol @ lecturing me on grammar when you're not even aware that SPECTER is the common American spelling of the word.
Not addressing my main point of letting Putin paint red lines wherever he wants? Yeah, you know you're in the wrong; just admit it. He's already said any military aid will be seen as like an 'act of war'. But Ukraine need that aid.

Look, the aid is already on the way. You can bitch and whine about that as much as you want, but all it will do is make you look like a moral vacuum.

Not my fault you can't spell properly.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Has anyone in here been critical of Biden's enormous military aid package to Ukraine yesterday? I'm American, and I'm wondering why we did that. Regardless of whether Ukraine is in the right here, or deserves aid/compassion (which they do), this could and likely will be perceived by Putin as a bright red line which essentially constitutes an all but formal declaration of war by the US. Remind me how that is good for the American people again? This is almost assuredly going to cause an escalation on Putin's part, and we shouldn't be this cavalier against a nuclear power which has an increasingly unhinged authoritarian at the helm who has had no qualms in recent months raising the specter of nukes.
Would you prefer you did nothing and just thought “fuck it not our problem” that’s what the no.1 super power in the world does right?

It’s a show of solidarity against something that is fundamentally wrong and abhorrent, and I am happy that they are helping in a meaningful way.

Yeah. That's not really a prudent mindset. Are you American?
No I'm not, I'm Belgian and be sure our capital will be one of the first to be hit with nukes (NATO headquarters) if they start flying. You think letting him have his way with Ukraine or any other country in the future that isn't NATO is the right mindset? Except for some sanctions?

Or is your mindset, 'other side of the world, not my problem'?

If all the weapons supplied already to Ukraine wouldn't make Putin declare war on Nato, why would you think this will do it? Like I said, it seems he's all talk without anything to back it up. Except bombing schools / hospitals / towns when his shite army can't get the job done. That tactic won't work against NATO forces.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Not addressing my main point of letting Putin paint red lines wherever he wants? Yeah, you know you're in the wrong; just admit it. He's already said any military aid will be seen as like an 'act of war'. But Ukraine need that aid.

Look, the aid is already on the way. You can bitch and whine about that as much as you want, but all it will do is make you look like a moral vacuum.

Not my fault you can't spell properly.

I'll ask you again: are you American? And can you tell me how American taxpayers, in a crippled economy, benefit in any way from giving many billions of dollars in military aid to a country that we have no formal treaties or mutual defense pacts with? Because, you know, it used to be that government policies and actions were intended to benefit - or at least not harm - the populace. If humanitarian aid is not seen as provocative while military aid is, then yes, that needs to factor into any decision when you're talking about taxpayers' money as well as the national security of the American people. All I urged was greater prudence, but apparently that's a bridge too far for you. lol @ continuing to harp on spelling when you're wrong: Spectre vs. specter

EDIT: Note that my initial and subsequent posts don't even advocate for NOT giving the military aid, only that we need to be more prudent about things and consider all possible ramifications. My post was more about the cavalier attitude and brinksmanship on display regarding these matters lately.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

no formal treaties or mutual defense pacts with?
Not true. The US, Russia and UK signed the Budapest Memorandum on Ukrainian security in 1994. While not a mutual defence pact, this was a serious document linked to the treaty where Ukraine agreed to give up its nuclear weapons in exchange for guarantees that none of those nuclear states would act aggressively against them. People talk a lot about Nato violating some treaty about eastern expansion, but unlike that hearsay bullshit that was never put on paper even to be noted as a discussion point, this treaty actually existed until Russia grossly violated its terms with an illegal invasion in 2014. Since then, US and UK felt they had an obligation to address valid security concerns of Ukraine. Because of this violation of terms by Russia, Ukraine would be arguably entitled, otherwise, to start building their own arsenal of nuclear weapons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because by giving the equipment you leave it for Ukrainians to decide - "guns don't kill people" argument

If you send troops (which would be under German, US, etc. command) you have another country ordering soldiers to fire on the Russians, effectively declaring war against Russia.

Russia does the same thing with trying to get equipment from China.
Sounds like a stupid ass matter of semantics In such a delicate situation but i'm okay with that if this means that other countries can arm the ukraine soldiers.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dude if you are asking for selfish reasons, the reality of this gesture (or aid package) is that after a war, you are going to be far more likely to get what Ukraine is offering. For less and you probably going to get more slots. People in government, who are doing this deals, are probably not as stupid as you might think. Besides it stimulates your economy, by supporting the manufactures in your country. It's like he is giving them just money, it's USA products.

Last edited:

Vestal

I'll ask you again: are you American? And can you tell me how American taxpayers, in a crippled economy, benefit in any way from giving many billions of dollars in military aid to a country that we have no formal treaties or mutual defense pacts with? Because, you know, it used to be that government policies and actions were intended to benefit - or at least not harm - the populace. If humanitarian aid is not seen as provocative while military aid is, then yes, that needs to factor into any decision when you're talking about taxpayers' money as well as the national security of the American people. All I urged was greater prudence, but apparently that's a bridge too far for you. lol @ continuing to harp on spelling when you're wrong: Spectre vs. specter

EDIT: Note that my initial and subsequent posts don't even advocate for NOT giving the military aid, only that we need to be more prudent about things and consider all possible ramifications. My post was more about the cavalier attitude and brinksmanship on display regarding these matters lately.
I am American, but more importantly I am human and a staunch believer in Democracy. The fight in Ukraine is the most important fight we have had in the 21st century. It is a fight for democracy, and against Authoritarianism. The United States as the biggest example of Democracy should and must continue support Ukraine's fight against the Russian Aggression with every ounce of support it can muster.

As a human being, and a child of this world... We all need to give everything we have to stop Putin's warpath. There is no ambiguity on which side is right or wrong here.

Loki

Count of Concision
Not true. The US, Russia and UK signed the Budapest Memorandum on Ukrainian security in 1994. While not a mutual defence pact, this was a serious document linked to the treaty where Ukraine agreed to give up its nuclear weapons in exchange for guarantees that none of those nuclear states would act aggressively against them. People talk a lot about Nato violating some treaty about eastern expansion, but unlike that hearsay bullshit that was never put on paper even to be noted as a discussion point, this treaty actually existed until Russia grossly violated its terms with an illegal invasion in 2014. Since then, US and UK felt they had an obligation to address valid security concerns of Ukraine. Because of this violation of terms by Russia, Ukraine would be arguably entitled, otherwise, to start building their own arsenal of nuclear weapons.

Good info. Thank you for that. Are you certain that the eastward expansion of NATO was never discussed (between Russia and the US) or documented? Also, even if not, what do you make of the security concerns cited at times regarding NATO having missiles 5 minutes from Moscow should Ukraine become a NATO member? Parallels are sometimes drawn to the Cuban missile crisis - false equivalency? Nonsensical because Poland and Lithuania are already NATO members and similarly proximate to Russia? I understand that NATO is, ostensibly, a defensive alliance and not an offensive one, but in realpolitik those distinctions may not carry much weight to the folks making decisions.

Wildebeest

Good info. Thank you for that. Are you certain that the eastward expansion of NATO was never discussed (between Russia and the US) or documented? Also, even if not, what do you make of the security concerns cited at times regarding NATO having missiles 5 minutes from Moscow should Ukraine become a NATO member? Parallels are sometimes drawn to the Cuban missile crisis - false equivalency? Nonsensical because Poland and Lithuania are already NATO members and similarly proximate to Russia? I understand that NATO is, ostensibly, a defensive alliance and not an offensive one, but in realpolitik those distinctions may not carry much weight to the folks making decisions.
How can I prove it was never discussed? That is proving a negative, so it depends on other people to produce the documentary evidence.

I don't really care about Kremlin propaganda about the re-debating Cuban missile crisis over and over. Where are the nuclear submarines right now? Who knows.

Sakura

Because military operations aren’t like Age of Empires where you can just keep all units fighting until the last man standing wins. At a certain point all of those casualties completely degrade the abilities of the rest of the force to be effective. A military base might staff 2,000 people but if takes 200 casualties in one critical function, it ceases to operate.
I can imagine if say, all the medics became causalities, or all the commanding officers became casualties, that that would make it very difficult for an army to operate effectively. I'm assuming that is what you mean when you say critical function. But what are the odds of such a thing actually happening? Aren't the majority of causalities typically not in those areas?
Regardless, we don't really know the breakdown of casualties do we? Just a general estimate number. So I still don't really see how they could be nearly spent. The Russians had worse casualties to forces during the Chechen wars.

Loki

Count of Concision
I am American, but more importantly I am human and a staunch believer in Democracy. The fight in Ukraine is the most important fight we have had in the 21st century. It is a fight for democracy, and against Authoritarianism. The United States as the biggest example of Democracy should and must continue support Ukraine's fight against the Russian Aggression with every ounce of support it can muster.

As a human being, and a child of this world... We all need to give everything we have to stop Putin's warpath. There is no ambiguity on which side is right or wrong here.

Fair position, but a very ideological one. Taken to its logical ends, it means that we should fully support - up to and including military action - any country which is ever invaded. I'm not sure whether you'd find broad support for that among the American people. Also, how does invasion by authoritarians differ from an authoritarian regime assuming power within their own country - do those same obligations to protect democracy apply? Wouldn't this perpetuate the perception of America as "World Police"? Re: your final point, I never suggested there was ambiguity there. Putin is unquestionably wrong here for various reasons.

Vestal

Hope does not this far...

Lets try not to speculate too much with information like this. Its a very touchy and explosive subject that will derail this back to Nuclear Doom posting.
Fair position, but a very ideological one. Taken to its logical ends, it means that we should fully support - up to and including military action - any country which is ever invaded. I'm not sure whether you'd find broad support for that among the American people. Also, how does invasion by authoritarians differ from an authoritarian regime assuming power within their own country - do those same obligations to protect democracy apply? Wouldn't this perpetuate the perception of America as "World Police"? Re: your final point, I never suggested there was ambiguity there. Putin is unquestionably wrong here for various reasons.
My personal opinion? Yes.. We should assist any Democratic Country that is invaded in such a way. Along with helping Liberal Democracies across the world flurish. Having said that, we should not be in the business of nation building or forcing our values on other countries. Its a complicated balancing act.

As far as Authoritarianism coming from within. That's a more difficult subject to address, and it would depend on the circumstances.

End of the day.. Democracy >>>>>>>>>>>> Authoritarianism/Dictator/Strongman/etc.

EDIT: Every avenue of Diplomacy and non-direct intervention should be exhausted before considering any sort of direct intervention.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Also, even if not, what do you make of the security concerns cited at times regarding NATO having missiles 5 minutes from Moscow should Ukraine become a NATO member?

Check where that place is, between 4 NATO members and stuffed to the brim with Russian weapons. You don't see Poland invading to "demilitarize" the enclave due to security concerns.

Once again - Russia has absolutely nothing to fear from any country in the world given they have atomic weapons. It's purely influence BS.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol Loki needs to read up on appeasement and how letting Hitler do whatever blew up in our face.

$800 million is nothing compared to what would happen to the economy if we let Put take back Eastern Europe like he wants.

Him asking everyone if they are American is hilarious because this is exactly the kind of aloof, isolated, not-my-problem mentality that caused both World Wars to go for that long and cost so many lives. WW1 was over within a year of U.S joining the war, and WW2 was over in 3 years. If the U.S troops were in France, who knows if Blitzkreg wouldve worked. Who knows if Hitler wouldve even declared war on the Soviet Union if he had to fight the U.S on the western front from Day one.

Putin isnt Saddam. This mother fucker wants to go back to the glory days of the Soviet Union. He must be stopped dead in his tracks.

Thaedolus

I can imagine if say, all the medics became causalities, or all the commanding officers became casualties, that that would make it very difficult for an army to operate effectively. I'm assuming that is what you mean when you say critical function. But what are the odds of such a thing actually happening? Aren't the majority of causalities typically not in those areas?
Regardless, we don't really know the breakdown of casualties do we? Just a general estimate number. So I still don't really see how they could be nearly spent. The Russians had worse casualties to forces during the Chechen wars.
They’ve lost 4 general officers and their convoy to Kyiv has basically become stuck. Their air force took huge losses in the initial invasion and can’t really operate. All signs and indications are their capabilities have been significantly degraded and they’re just left to mostly shelling indiscriminately.

And I don’t know the Chechen war numbers over the first few weeks of fighting but in Iwo Jima, some of the bloodiest fighting in WWII, we had 7,000 KIA marines in 36 days. So if the Russians have lost that much in 3 weeks, I think it’s accurate to say they’re getting spanked.

Lets try not to speculate too much with information like this. Its a very touchy and explosive subject that will derail this back to Nuclear Doom posting.
Let's also not downplay that they are blatantly lying about everything. No one thought they would be out there killing civilians and here we are. When you have a military as shitty as Russia's you might expect they would do something stupid like nuke Ukraine.

Yeah. That's not really a prudent mindset. Are you American?
I'm American and I'm expecting him to do everything to achieve his goals. Especially if he doesn't think he will live long enough to see the results of his actions. If he does have a terminal illness, what does he care? He will make it to the history books, positive or negative.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
lol Loki needs to read up on appeasement and how letting Hitler do whatever blew up in our face.

$800 million is nothing compared to what would happen to the economy if we let Put take back Eastern Europe like he wants.

I urged prudence and greater circumspection, not appeasement. Apparently if one isn't bellicose or gung-ho on everything, it means you stand for the polar opposite. This mentality is indicative of a larger trend in our society, unfortunately. Also, I heard the military aid package was $14B, not $800M: https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2022/03/09/congress-funding-shutdown-ukraine/

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Wildebeest

From an American perspective, you might see this as another case of the US acting as "world police" and meddling in things when they have no moral or legal reason to. From the perspective of Putin, this is a war directly against the US to reclaim provincial territory shamefully stolen from the Soviet Union. To him, the idea that Ukraine might be independent is completely meaningless nonsense. No more than a laughable weakness in western thinking that he can exploit. A view of this conflict that only cares about the US perspective could end in tragedy for far more than the millions of Ukrainians who have already had to directly deal with this war.

Vestal

From an American perspective, you might see this as another case of the US acting as "world police" and meddling in things when they have no moral or legal reason to. From the perspective of Putin, this is a war directly against the US to reclaim provincial territory shamefully stolen from the Soviet Union. To him, the idea that Ukraine might be independent is completely meaningless nonsense. No more than a laughable weakness in western thinking that he can exploit. A view of this conflict that only cares about the US perspective could end in tragedy for far more than the millions of Ukrainians who have already had to directly deal with this war.
Austin Powers No GIF

Thaedolus

What do you mean a view of the conflict that only cares about the US perspective? The perspective that a country can exist independently for 30 years then just be leveled to reunite with a failed state that no longer exists is the wrong perspective. What care should we give to it? It shouldn’t be legitimized.

Last edited:

Sakura

They’ve lost 4 general officers and their convoy to Kyiv has basically become stuck. Their air force took huge losses in the initial invasion and can’t really operate. All signs and indications are their capabilities have been significantly degraded and they’re just left to mostly shelling indiscriminately.

And I don’t know the Chechen war numbers over the first few weeks of fighting but in Iwo Jima, some of the bloodiest fighting in WWII, we had 7,000 KIA marines in 36 days. So if the Russians have lost that much in 3 weeks, I think it’s accurate to say they’re getting spanked.
I have no idea what is going on with the convoy. I've heard they are stuck waiting for forces to secure areas or encircle the city because it is a logistic convoy, and obviously is not going to enter fighting on its own. I've also heard they have been building pipelines to supply fuel to the front lines.
If the air force can't really operate then how are they still constantly bombing things and why would Ukraine be constantly begging for a no fly zone?

Iwo Jima had 27k casualties out of 70k men, and as we all know the US did not lose the battle and was able to continue operating. Russia is estimated to have 20 to 30k casualties out of the 180k troops or so they had?

And of course, the remaining capabilities of the Ukrainian forces is very important to this discussion, but we don't have any close to accurate info on that.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

What do you mean a view of the conflict that only cares about the US perspective? The perspective that a country can exist independently for 30 years then just be leveled to reunite with a failed state that no longer exists is the wrong perspective. What care should we give to it? It shouldn’t be legitimized.
I mean that some people in the US might not even understand what is going on because their view of the world is so US centric. They might think it is some local dispute which has nothing to do with them

Atrus

Gold Member
I have no idea what is going on with the convoy. I've heard they are stuck waiting for forces to secure areas or encircle the city because it is a logistic convoy, and obviously is not going to enter fighting on its own. I've also heard they have been building pipelines to supply fuel to the front lines.
If the air force can't really operate then how are they still constantly bombing things and why would Ukraine be constantly begging for a no fly zone?

Iwo Jima had 27k casualties out of 70k men, and as we all know the US did not lose the battle and was able to continue operating. Russia is estimated to have 20 to 30k casualties out of the 180k troops or so they had?

And of course, the remaining capabilities of the Ukrainian forces is very important to this discussion, but we don't have any close to accurate info on that.

How many of those 180,000 do you think are frontline units? For every frontline unit there are multiples in support units required to feed, fuel, and maintain the combat force.

Once a unit has upwards of 10% casualties it can no longer be expected to achieve its role, and in combined arms maneuvers you are only as effective as your weakest link.

Under strength units need to be consolidated and replenished, which we can see when Russia is recalling units based abroad. It can also use reserves as well but these have a disadvantage of informing the Russian public that this "not a war" is going poorly and frankly if their frontline troops are this bad, the reserves won't do a thing. What they can't do is replace their frontline professional soldiers with cooks, national guard, conscripts, or Syrian "volunteers" and expect to win where their professional soldiers did not.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I mean that some people in the US might not even understand what is going on because their view of the world is so US centric. They might think it is some local dispute which has nothing to do with them

Pretty sure folks in the US, right now, understand this isn't a 'regional/local'' war.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
You people need to make up your minds about wether you want the USA to be the World Police or not.
Leading means supporting and lifting up those who can't support themselves. Being the leader of anything comes with responsibilities. We want the world to be the worlds police, but the lead country does have to take charge sometimes and give the most resources to make sure that happens.

Sakura

How many of those 180,000 do you think are frontline units? For every frontline unit there are multiples in support units required to feed, fuel, and maintain the combat force.

Once a unit has upwards of 10% casualties it can no longer be expected to achieve its role, and in combined arms maneuvers you are only as effective as your weakest link.

Under strength units need to be consolidated and replenished, which we can see when Russia is recalling units based abroad. It can also use reserves as well but these have a disadvantage of informing the Russian public that this "not a war" is going poorly and frankly if their frontline troops are this bad, the reserves won't do a thing. What they can't do is replace their frontline professional soldiers with cooks, national guard, conscripts, or Syrian "volunteers" and expect to win where their professional soldiers did not.
Sure but how likely is it that most units have upwards of 10% causalities? Wouldn't it be more likely that certain units have been practically destroyed by ambushes or other intense fighting, driving causalities up?
I think it is obvious that Russia hasn't been performing as well as Putin expected, and that they have taken heavy causalities. They wouldn't be looking for Syrian mercenaries otherwise right?
I just don't necessarily believe that the Russian forces have been nearly spent, based on an overall casualty estimate.
It looks to me like they are regrouping and preparing for a new offensive.

If it is true, and they are basically all spent out, should we expect to start seeing Ukraine forces push them back and retake their land?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You people need to make up your minds about wether you want the USA to be the World Police or not.
Zelenskyy had a perspective that wasn't so derogatory which he mentioned in his speech to congress.

Is the USA the leader of the free world?
Here is my concern and slight confusion on some's thinking process. Does everyone believe he has a working nuclear arsenal? Does everyone believe China, Iran, Pakistan and India have working nuclear arsenals that would pop off a chain event?

This is what I have been extrapolating since this conflict began, in this thread, and the media (social as well) and beyond.

- He is an unstable madman that will use nukes at any moment if he feels backed into a corner
- Let's back him into a corner with no fly zones and the like, which would have to be enforced via wartime conflict

Lots of poison has been laid. He is doing a good job great resetting Russia's economy though. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Wladimir Klitschlo interview. “We’re going to take care of ourselves,” he says about NATO stating that they won’t be performing ops in Ukraine. More weapons and supplies are needed to enable Ukrainians to push back the Russians. He thanks the US and UK for their support.

Cyberpunkd

Wladimir Klitschlo interview. “We’re going to take care of ourselves,” he says about NATO stating that they won’t be performing ops in Ukraine. More weapons and supplies are needed to enable Ukrainians to push back the Russians. He thanks the US and UK for their support.

I hate how the reporters try to be objective:

“But Putin says….”

Bruh, you don’t need to give Putin an air time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom