• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

If this guy actually believes what he’s saying, then he’s insane. If not then he’s cynical to the point of it making little difference.

This is a tiny, weak man who’s terrified of being Gaddafi’d and is going right to the same playbook of every despot’s endgame, except he’s got nukes.

well, he does fear to end as Gaddafi, I hope it is worst than that.

TransTrender

Gold Member

FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS.

I mean, it took much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much less in the way of 'dead civies' for elements of the US population to absolutely lose their shit in a spectacular way, so I wonder how much it will take for the rest of the world and the US to get in gear here.

Also Myanmar.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Coming from the people who want to "denazify" Ukraine.

Yeah okay. Sure.
Obligatory
UIcrGNN.gif

I hope there is a coup in Belarus by their own army. I almost forgot, Fuck Putin on this new day

Edit**** Forget it it was just an exercise done there.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Just reaffirming my belief that the only good Russian soldier is a dead one.

Good to see all the ‘won’t somebody think of the Russian soldiers’ bullshit has dried up around here.

From now on, we need a concerted effort to utterly destroy Russia economically. There has to be punishment for this. Severe punishment. And yes, that may mean Russian citizens dying from social unrest and other things caused by the sanctions.

I’m sorry, but this atrocity cannot go unanswered. We cannot and should not engage Russia in war, but we should suffocate it to death over the next few years or decades. Every western nation should be bent towards this goal, to make sure this can never happen again.

akimbo009

Gold Member
This has gotten out of hand. Unfortunately I think the only way out of this is a bigger war. Putin needs to be stopped.

It's may require it. Russia unfortunately has mobile nuclear weapons, but I do feel the US could premept an attack on their abilities to minimize and limit their responses... But it's all MAD in the end, just how can we limit the blast radius.

But considering how good the US has been with Intel, there may be a way to do something internally. Again, it would be WW2 - or rather, Russia against the World. China wouldn't dare at that point - I mean, they may... But I don't think it's in their interest to get engaged at that point.

FunkMiller

It's may require it. Russia unfortunately has mobile nuclear weapons, but I do feel the US could premept an attack on their abilities to minimize and limit their responses... But it's all MAD in the end, just how can we limit the blast radius.

But considering how good the US has been with Intel, there may be a way to do something internally. Again, it would be WW2 - or rather, Russia against the World. China wouldn't dare at that point - I mean, they may... But I don't think it's in their interest to get engaged at that point.

Hopefully a lot of cyber warfare that destroys their ability to function, as well as er… ‘under the radar’ operations to cripple infrastructure, and remove individuals. Basically a resumption of the Cold War. Only this time the west as morally justified aggressors.

Last edited:

Mistake

Not a lot has changed in terms of manufacturing and the Chinese market. Some factories migrated to other nearby countries by proxy, but that’s it. They definitely won’t ruin what they have going now in order to back up Russia

Good to see all the ‘won’t somebody think of the Russian soldiers’ bullshit has dried up around here.

From now on, we need a concerted effort to utterly destroy Russia economically. There has to be punishment for this. Severe punishment. And yes, that may mean Russian citizens dying from social unrest and other things caused by the sanctions.

I’m sorry, but this atrocity cannot go unanswered. We cannot and should not engage Russia in war, but we should suffocate it to death over the next few years or decades. Every western nation should be bent towards this goal, to make sure this can never happen again.
Hey, Fatty, violence breeds violence. Why don't you do us all a favor and keep your Conan the Barbarian level shit in your own head? Who wishes death upon people? Christ....

I appreciate your time.

Last edited:

Vestal

Hey, Fatty, violence breeds violence. Why don't you do us all a favor and keep your Conan the Barbarian level shit in your own head? Who wishes death upon people? Christ....

I appreciate your time.
Huh? Where exactly did the quoted poster ask for violence or Conan the Barbarian shit?

It was an emotional post like countless others I and pretty much everyone here has written about this subject. But in no way did he promote violence of any kind.

FunkMiller

I appreciate your time.

Grow up. I called for the severest punishment the west can mete out to a regime that is actively and deliberately targeting buildings full of children. I did not wish death on anyone. But it is true that severe sanctions may lead to the unfortunate suffering of Russian people. I am saying that we’re at a stage where that may have to be consequence of Putin’s actions, if we are to prevent this kind of atrocity happening again.

Take your Putin defending whataboutery elsewhere.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I appreciate your time.
WTF is this shit? Who instigated the violence? Who doesn’t care about the effects of that?

I’m fairly certain the idea being conveyed here was that the idea of a state existing like a mob entity terrorizing the world, which accurately describes Russia today and for most of the last century, is what needs to get suffocated. You can’t advance your political agenda by leveling cities full of civilians anymore. We’ve moved on as a species. Anyone who thinks they can do that anymore should be annihilated, because that’s all that will stop them.

Durien

Guys, be wary of propaganda. The easiest way to foster emotion on a subject is to say "chikdren". People can be destroying each other in the street but once you mention children, everyone starts paying attention. This is war. What if I hid troops in a building marked children and there were no kids in the building.

Don't get me wrong, I think Putin's a douche for this nonsense, but we need to think real careful about what our next moves are. We don't want to get pulled full force into this. It sucks for everyone involved and eventually Putin will get his my guess is from "accidental" friendly fire..

Edit: I would pay to see him fight Elon...

Last edited:

Vestal

Guys, be wary of propaganda. The easiest way to foster emotion on a subject is to say "chikdren". People can be destroying each other in the street but once you mention children, everyone starts paying attention. This is war. What if I hid troops in a building marked children and there were no kids in the building.

Don't get me wrong, I think Putin's a douche for this nonsense, but we need to think real careful about what our next moves are. We don't want to get pulled full force into this. It sucks for everyone involved and eventually Putin will get his my guess is from "accidental" friendly fire..

And thats why Russia instead of stating that fact publicly went on to blame the Azov Group for the attack. Right?

Edit sorry if it came of snarky. It’s been a long night.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Hey, maybe you shouldn’t be bombing the country to begin with?

“How was I supposed to know we’d be bombing children?”

BECAUSE A COUNTRY IS FULL OF CHILDREN…DUH!

This is a simple pro/con calculation. If you’re going to invade a county, you should be goddamn fucking sure the reason why is worth thousands of dead children, because that’s just a given. I just read about an infant body so young it still had its umbilical stump. Do you think that’s an unforeseen consequence to anyone who’s not a total moron or a complete piece of shit? That’s what wars and invasions do.

“We don’t know if they actually had children in there…” is such fucking bullshit, Ukraine has millions of them and they’re all being traumatized for life for not a single valid reason. And that completely ignores the fact Russia has been indiscriminately bombing civilian areas, especially hospitals, as its MO since Chechnya

Last edited:

Durien

Hey, maybe you shouldn’t be bombing the country to begin with?

“How was I supposed to know we’d be bombing children?”

BECAUSE A COUNTRY IS FULL OF CHILDREN…DUH!

This is a simple pro/con calculation. If you’re going to invade a county, you should be goddamn fucking sure the reason why is worth thousands of dead children, because that’s just a given. I just read about an infant body so young it still had its umbilical stump. Do you think that’s an unforeseen consequence to anyone who’s not a total moron or a complete piece of shit? That’s what wars and invasions do.

“We don’t know if they actually had children in there…” is such fucking bullshit, Ukraine has millions of them and they’re all being traumatized for life for not a single valid reason.
So I am hoping that my message didn't come across as callous. Dude, believe me, I don't want kids to die. ( I have 2 myself). No one wins in war, you just have less losses.

Thaedolus

So I am hoping that my message didn't come across as callous. Dude, believe me, I don't want kids to die. ( I have 2 myself). No one wins in war, you just have less losses.

I’m sorry I flipped out in my response, I guess my thought was…I don’t think we need to worry about the children dying stories being propaganda or fake news. Children are dying and being terrorized, because that’s a given in war. Russia should be 100% blamed for it because they started the war. That’s all. The news today has probably just made me sensitive about it because it’s been absolutely horrific.

Durien

I’m sorry I flipped out in my response, I guess my thought was…I don’t think we need to worry about the children dying stories being propaganda or fake news. Children are dying and being terrorized, because that’s a given in war. Russia should be 100% blamed for it because they started the war. That’s all. The news today has probably just made me sensitive about it because it’s been absolutely horrific.
No worries, man. I agree with you that it 100% sucks. I wish the kids could all be teleported someplace fun and safe during times like these.

Nvzman

No politics, no bullshit, anyone who unironically wants to see a WW3/NATO putting troops in over this is a moron. A modern war on that scale would be ugly and deadly. Not nuclear per say, but would be horrendous.

FunkMiller

There are multiple, independent sources stating that during the three weeks of this conflict, the Russians have killed civilians, deliberately targeting them the exact same way they targeted civilians in Syria. It's in their playbook. If the information about these clear war crimes was purely coming from Ukrainian sources, you could believe that information may be skewed somewhat to support their war effort, but that's not the case.

It's horrible, because none of us want to believe that children are being butchered in a warzone in 2022. But it's happening. And those responsible need to be properly punished.

Last edited:

Nvzman

No one here is suggesting this.
I mean, it took much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much less in the way of 'dead civies' for elements of the US population to absolutely lose their shit in a spectacular way, so I wonder how much it will take for the rest of the world and the US to get in gear here.

Also Myanmar.

This has gotten out of hand. Unfortunately I think the only way out of this is a bigger war. Putin needs to be stopped.
Idk what else "getting in gear/bigger war" would suggest.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
No politics, no bullshit, anyone who unironically wants to see a WW3/NATO putting troops in over this is a moron. A modern war on that scale would be ugly and deadly. Not nuclear per say, but would be horrendous.

It would have to be nuclear. If there were any assurance that nuclear weapons would not be deployed, NATO would likely already be in and would have curbstomped the poorly equipped, poorly supplied, and poorly trained Russian forces.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It would have to be nuclear. If there were any assurance that nuclear weapons would not be deployed, NATO would likely already be in and would have curbstomped the poorly equipped, poorly supplied, and poorly trained Russian forces.
The only reason they haven’t is due to the nuclear threat. If NATO knew for sure that Putin’s button wouldn’t work, they would’ve wiped out that 1980s army last week.

FunkMiller

The only reason they haven’t is due to the nuclear threat. If NATO knew for sure that Putin’s button wouldn’t work, they would’ve wiped out that 1980s army last week.

This is the worst thing about all of this. It could probably be over in about half an hour, were it not for nukes. But Putin knows this, and it’s the only reason he’s done it. Cunt.

RAÏSanÏa

The genocide begun by Russian fascists is already ugly and deadly growing at its own pace with no signs of remission from current treatments.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
This is the worst thing about all of this. It could probably be over in about half an hour, were it not for nukes. But Putin knows this, and it’s the only reason he’s done it. Cunt.

The problem we have is the actual calculus. We need to agree that at the end of a conventional war, and the defeat of Russia by say, Ukraine, that things end quietly. If we can't agree on that, and presume that if Russia loses in a conventional conflict they shift to nukes then we have a real quandary. The calculus then becomes that if Russia is about to lose they'll use nukes to ensure victory - regardless of the opponent - then there is a possibility that ending the conventional war faster and then attempting to denuclearize Russia could save more lives in the long run.

It's hard to say what Russia will do. Presuming the above, and Russia does defeat Ukraine, and then plows into Finland or Poland the next the next reasonable assumption would have to be they'll nuke those counties too nearing defeat or beyond those same borders to further progress their faltering conventional armies.

It's a dangerous escalation by Russia who has threatened them. It also says it may not matter if NATO gets involved at all.

How long do we want Putin to hold the world hostage, and is that tolerable without better plans.

The problem we have is the actual calculus.
<snip>

It's hard to say what Russia will do. Presuming the above, and Russia does defeat Ukraine, and then plows into Finland or Poland the next the next reasonable assumption would have to be they'll nuke those counties too nearing defeat or beyond those same borders to further progress their faltering conventional armies.

The actual calculus is that you're not being reasonable. Roughly 75% of Russia's conventional forces are entangled in Ukraine. Where, exactly, are these forces going to come from for these operations in Finland and Poland? Russia's army is fucked as an offensive force for a long time.

I've already discussed the nuclear doctrine aspect in detail in this thread, you're very off base.

There has to be punishment for this. Severe punishment. And yes, that may mean Russian citizens dying from social unrest and other things caused by the sanctions.
I don't think there is an easy way out of this but let's focus our punishment and anger on political leaders and military personnel. This line of thinking leads to bad places.

RAÏSanÏa

"It worked! Now I don't ever have to travel there. I can just keep staying home being invisible!"
Invisible from what? What is this comment trying to say?

If it's saying Canada won't support Ukraine that's idiotic. The PM just came back from Europe including a trip to the Baltics.

Zelenskyy addressed the House yesterday and Canada reaffirmed its commitment to Ukraine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Invisible from what? What is this comment trying to say?

If it's saying Canada won't support Ukraine that's idiotic. The PM just came back from Europe including a trip to the Baltics.

Zelenskyy addressed the House yesterday and Canada reaffirmed its commitment to Ukraine.

Since being PM the past 6 years, how often have you seen him engage the nation aside from the occasional covid statement or Russian sanctions the past month?

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Since being PM the past 6 years, how often have you seen him engage the nation aside from the occasional covid statement or Russian sanctions the past month?
Your grousing about your personal political issues and their fabrication has nothing to do with the topic.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
The actual calculus is that you're not being reasonable. Roughly 75% of Russia's conventional forces are entangled in Ukraine. Where, exactly, are these forces going to come from for these operations in Finland and Poland? Russia's army is fucked as an offensive force for a long time.

I've already discussed the nuclear doctrine aspect in detail in this thread, you're very off base.

No I'm not. Only person who is off base is Putin. You can't for certain know what he will do.

My postulation is that he nukes Ukraine, and preserves his military. With a shell of a military, plus free agency to nuke non-NATO nations who knows where he'd stop - certainly not you.

My question to you is do you think he doesn't nuke Ukraine if he loses his ability to effectively fight a conventional war at scale? If the answer is yes, then the same will be true for other non-NATO targets (whether he does or doesn't, won't matter, cause then it's not a matter of now but eventually).

RAÏSanÏa

...incredibly, some of Putin’s thuggish BFFs are now taking the bait.
On Tuesday, Musk shared a Telegram message from “Ramzan Kadyrov, head of Chechen Republic!”
Let’s ignore the sexism-slash-homophobia-slash-toxic masculinity. But think about what just happened. This Kremlin-backed sociopath is in a war theatre and Elon Musk has got under his skin to the point where he is penning Unabomber-length manifestos.
This is grim geopolitics reduced to a manufactured celebrity feud. And it’s cathartic.

Putin keeps setting the rules of engagement. And the West keeps skittishly detailing everything that is “not on the table.” This is pure insanity. That table should be an invisible funhouse of possible horrors that haunts Putin. Nothing should be off the table. Why is the West kowtowing to the aggressor in this immoral equation?
Why are we cautiously reacting to Putin instead of scaring the daylights out of him?
And that brings us back to the second paragraph in this column.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Musk is giving the West a crash course in how to deal with a brutal dictator. You challenge. You mock. You show strength. You pencil in your own red lines. You ridicule. You let it be known you are in control.
Elon Musk is never going to have a fist fight with Vladimir Putin.
But it’s time for the West to make it clear it is ready to rumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom