• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.D00p

I wonder if Russia's actions can be explained via the degradation of the concept of MAD. If Russia's nuclear arsenal has become partially defunct, then their second strike capabilities would be severely curtailed. The reason that the "But Russia needs to protect itself from invasion!" argument is dumb is because under MAD, Russia is never getting invaded. However, if Russia's nukes suck now, and MAD is only partially relevant, then they would have reason to fear a more traditional invasion.

In such a scenario, the important questions are: if we know they can't fully enforce MAD, if they know we know, and if we know they know we know.

Game theory is a bitch.

The biggest problem isn't the state of their Nuclear arsenal but rather the apparent fact that the country is run by a bunch of outright nihilists.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The biggest problem isn't the state of their Nuclear arsenal but rather the apparent fact that the country is run by a bunch of outright nihilists.
The fascist dictatorship in their government is the biggest problem, of course, but I'm looking to see if any potential scenarios explain their actions in a way other than "they just crazy".

FunkMiller

The fascist dictatorship in their government is the biggest problem, of course, but I'm looking to see if any potential scenarios explain their actions in a way other than "they just crazy".

If Russia is markedly weaker than we realise, then it would explain a more rational psychological reason for this sabre rattling aggression. Nobody powerful feels the need to be threatened by those around them.

Mind you, if this was the case, you’d imagine the west would have a good idea of the weakness, which would beg the question why they haven’t exploited it.

Fear of just one working nuke amongst a pile of broken ones is deterrent enough, I suppose.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

In terms of game theory, growing up when the Soviet Union was a power, one term I heard a lot on the TV news was "tit-for-tat". They do something bad, we respond. They want to exchange spies, we exchange spies. And so on. Then we had the end of history, peace dividend, and so on. Then with Putler and Putpoleon complex, the language being used were things like "multipolar world" and "red lines".

Way I see it, the Multipolar world is used by the west to describe a world where capitalism is so globally integrated that no one country can control anything. The emerging BRIC countries were such large markets that they could develop their own weather systems, and Europe has to depend even less on relationships with the USA. Like a natural extension of how Europe was no longer on life support from the USA after rebuilding from WW2, and the US became less centrally important as a manufacturing country. But for Russia and China what a multipolar world means is that they no longer have to pretend to listen when lectured to about Democracy, World Peace, or Human Rights. They can build a new world order where concepts like that belong to "the empire of lies".

Red lining and avoiding any conflict are strategies you use to manage your relationship with a narcissist (like Pooty Booty). It is very different to a strategy like "tit-for-tat" which is not effective against someone who will only use dark psychological warfare moves and never de-escalate. If you avoid any conflict with them, then they have fewer chances to "act out" their dark patterns and find ways to be abusive to you. If you set out red lines, then it is clearer that they are the ones being abusive to you, and it is harder for them to make the argument that you are in offence against them or are persecuting them.

Cyberpunkd

Mind you, if this was the case, you’d imagine the west would have a good idea of the weakness, which would beg the question why they haven’t exploited it.
Because for better or worse the West does not have a habit of willingly weakening and destabilizing other countries. That's the MO of autocratic regimes like China...and Russia.

Y0ssarian

Banned
YL3vjsK.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have a question, why people think that other countries\nato are gonna directly intervene if putin decide to attack an european nato ally or to use chemical weapons or small tactical nukes in ukraine?

Him doing that somehow erase from people minds the fact that he can still launch nukes from submarines as a deterrent?

How much can this guy push the limit in reality??

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I have a question, why people think that other countries\nato are gonna directly intervene if putin decide to attack a nato ally or to use chemical weapons or small tactical nukes in ukraine?

Him doing that somehow erase from people minds the fact that he can still launch nukes from submarines as a deterrent?

What would think the US people would demand if Putin detonated a nuke off the coast of New York in US controlled ocean?

I have a question, why people think that other countries\nato are gonna directly intervene if putin decide to attack a nato ally or to use chemical weapons or small tactical nukes in ukraine?

In reality he can push it to NATO member countries having to make some decisions.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What would think the US people would demand if Putin detonated a nuke off the coast of New York in US controlled ocean?
That's why i said small tactical nuke in ukraine...

I know that nuking us would be enough.

I'm talking about how much he can push close to his home to force other countries hands...

Edit: ok my mistake, i said nato allies but i wanted to say european nato allies, sorry.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

That's why i said small tactical nuke in ukraine...

I know that nuking us would be enough.

I'm talking about how much he can push close to his home to force other countries hands...

Edit: ok my mistake, i said nato allies but i wanted to say european nato allies, sorry.
Do you think that European NATO members are simply less brave than the US, or that they value their lives and freedom less cheaply than people in the US? Why would it be different?

Walk me through this.

There are NATO members and Major Non NATO Allies. NATO members have an agreement to mutually defend each other, they don't have that with allies but they do have obligations to some of them. Ukraine is not a Major Non NATO ally. Any escalation that can be seen as a threat to a member or MNNA will need a decision on how to proceed. Russia has already reneged on a treaty this war, there will be tough decisions from NATO member countries on whether to renege on theirs...it will come down to what is politically, strategically and economically in their interest.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Do you think that European NATO members are simply less brave than the US, or that they value their lives and freedom less cheaply than people in the US? Why would it be different?
Well if your smaller with no real military and practically bordering Russia then yeah .. you would be more cautious.

Thaedolus

Yeah, all the talk of Russia being "isolated" reminds me of this:

the-international-community-for-dummies.jpg

Too many people don't realise that we're not in the 20th century anymore and that all those other countries outside of NA and western Europe matter now. It's us who are in danger of being isolated from the rest of the world.
Ah well, I guess we should just let the fascists win.

RAÏSanÏa

Too many people don't realise that we're not in the 20th century anymore and that all those other countries outside of NA and western Europe matter now. It's us who are in danger of being isolated from the rest of the world.
You think the West is in danger of being isolated? You might want to think more about that.

Did you make that image to support your claim all by yourself?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I have a question, why people think that other countries\nato are gonna directly intervene if putin decide to attack an european nato ally or to use chemical weapons or small tactical nukes in ukraine?

1. Russia attacks NATO member
2. NATO goes to war with conventional weapons; if not - see 3
3. Russia launches nukes
4. NATO launches nukes
5. ??????
6. Sticks and stones

Hopefully 3. will not happen since maybe there will always be someone like this guy:

By that I mean someone will stop Putin before he kills all the Russians.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

I would argue in the Israel, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia, should be included in that. Saudi being the least of those, but they still have major interest with the US.

Azurro

Banned

That's a dumb hot take. Latin America's economy depends on the west and will continue with the status quo. Africa is so poor that they don't really matter, this is just India smelling an opportunity.

Last edited:

Kazza

I would argue in the Israel, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia, should be included in that. Saudi being the least of those, but they still have major interest with the US.

I don't know about Saudi anymore, apparently they're not returning Biden's calls:

Israel seems to be taking a pretty neutral stance too:

I don't have any info about Jordan.

I think it's important to reflect on how others might perceive us and our actions, not just how we see ourselves. Of course, if you asked the average Chinese, Saudi, Indian etc which country they would prefer to immigrate to given the choice, I'm sure 99% would choose the USA/EU over Russia, so their disdain for the West certainly isn't free of hypocrisy, but then who is? The fact is perhaps most of the world would enjoy seeing western countries get their comeuppance one day, whether that be at the hands of Russia or China or someone else.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, I'm just reminding people to ignore MSM fantasies about the "international community". Most countries in the past only stuck with the US for money and security. Now that other countries have more money and military power, that is changing. The multipolar world is coming in the 21st century, whether anyone likes it or not.

Kazza

That's a dumb hot take. Latin America's economy depends on the west and will continue with the status quo. Africa is so poor that they don't really matter, this is just India smelling an opportunity.

Today, China is South America’s top trading partner. In 2019, Chinese companies invested $12.8 billion in Latin America, up 16.5% from 2018, concentrating on regional infrastructure such as ports, roads, dams and railways.

Kazza

this is just India smelling an opportunity.

Exactly! Previously (1989 - recently) those "smelling an opportunity" would have sidled up to the West - now there are other options.

Anyway, I'll stop here before the topic gets too far away from the Ukraine war. Although this is all very relevant background to what's going on there, it's not central to the day-to-day discussion of events.

RAÏSanÏa

Exactly! Previously (1989 - recently) those "smelling an opportunity" would have sidled up to the West - now there are other options.

Anyway, I'll stop here before the topic gets too far away from the Ukraine war. Although this is all very relevant background to what's going on there, it's not central to the day-to-day discussion of events.
They be smelling a weak decaying Russia they could pounce on. Everyone is. It's due to the Russian corruption that's been eroding their nation on display for everyone in the world and now the sanctions.

Putin is a contender for going down in history as the biggest blunderer of the century and potential finalist for the upcoming millennium.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

The only other option is China and they don't do business like the West. Russia has no money and no friends.

Wildebeest

Everyone wants a strong and well-behaved neighbour like Russia on their border. It is understandable that the world would want to turn to them and not just feel that they are in a bad spot and have no choice but to deal with them for their commodities.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BBC interviews soldiers in Irpin.

"Everybody fear for their lives. But most important: it's freedom."

Also in the mix is a Ukrainian female sniper holding her young son between shifts at the front.

m79ofaY.jpg

"His name is Nikita. He's 18 months old. I will kill to protect his future."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom