• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, Is this the thread about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or is this a debate about British culture?

If you want to debate British (love how people shit on English, Welsh and Scottish culture by lumping it all into the pathetic Union) I believe somebody created a thread regarding national identity and culture. Peace.

Look to the source of who brought up UK culture here and then get back to me. Peace.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Sovereignty
lmao

if sovereignty was such a huge deal why did they join the eu

they knew the rules going in

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sweet baby Jesus. Just because entire city is X, doesn't mean that there are entire distracts within that city that are Y. How do you fail to understand that?

Have you ever been to Birmingham? If yes, have you been outside of main train station and Bullring?

Seriously, dude.

Ok, I think that's enough of going out of topic. Nobody cares about UK anyway.

Mariupol looks like a setting of the next Fallout game:

86% of uk is white British. Having a couple immigrant ghettos proves nothing other than you are cherry picking…

FunkMiller

This thread gives me a headache.

Something this black and white should not be so hard for people to understand. 😑

I think this thread is most certainly highlighting issues with the way some people are educated, both about the world as it is, and the world as it was.

This is not intended as an insult to anyone here, but rather, is a comment about how national bias and self interest can warp the way historical events, and current geo-political realities, are perceived.

For the avoidance of doubt: the most accurate education is that provided by free, western democracies.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
The eu, 70+ years of peace, social and economic development.

Anyway perhaps let’s get back on track with this banger?

God, the VDV have shown themselves to be an absolute joke. Most shameful parachute regiment in the world now?

And is that... karate?! I know it can be a bit dance like sometimes, but that's taking the piss!

Liljagare

Do you think that the people who have power in society have the same ideas about social relationships and other matters as the average Sven? People who have power in society are distinctly different from the average person, either innately or as a product of the process that drives them to compete all the way into the heights of power. Because they are different, their beliefs are different.

It was well understood that the effect of having a single currency system with multiple countries with different cultures and economies would cause economic problems, the fact that there were not massive government interventions to prevent high unemployment meant that Spanish and Greek citizens were incentivized to leave their home countries or regions in order to find work. The fact that the system demanded the individual change rather than the other way around reveals a preference.

You still didn’t answer the question asked? What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Last edited:

MikeM

I think this thread is most certainly highlighting issues with the way some people are educated, both about the world as it is, and the world as it was.

This is not intended as an insult to anyone here, but rather, is a comment about how national bias and self interest can warp the way historical events, and current geo-political realities, are perceived.

For the avoidance of doubt: the most accurate education is that provided by free, western democracies.
There is a reason why rich people around the world (i.e. Russia, China, etc) send their kids to western universities.

chromhound

Gold Member
BJOZhN6.jpg

Wildebeest

Oh god. Here’s another awful thing about this war:

It‘s forcing me to have a modicum of respect for Boris Johnson.

Some people say that the "partygate" leaks might have been organized by Russian intelligence. Talk about people who are massive narcissists who will go on a proper revenge bender if made to lose face, then maybe it isn't just ol' Pooty...

RAÏSanÏa

Not much left out of Mariupol...

Looks like many of the attacks are from the sea.
The Russian marine colonel killed the other day in Mariupol was reported to be planning to be part of an attack on Odesa.
Maybe his death will be part of Russia setting those plans aside permanently.

The coastal defense of Ukraine is being considered for bolstering with new weapons.

Thaedolus

Brutal takedown:

"Believe me...we are living in a severe informational war--and war of fakes." -Kremlin spokesperson

Oh, I believe you, Dmitry.

I know gaslighting is an in vogue term but if people want an actual example with a side helping of bald-faced lies, here you go. What a friggen stooge

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
One month of this fucking mess. I still can't believe that Ukraine believed Anglo-Saxons and gave away their nuclear arsenal. This must be one of the biggest mistakes in history of mistakes.

:messenger_hushed:
They had the 3rd largest Nuclear arsenal in the world, after the break up.

Raven117

One month of this fucking mess. I still can't believe that Ukraine believed Anglo-Saxons and gave away their nuclear arsenal. This must be one of the biggest mistakes in history of mistakes.

:messenger_hushed:
They couldn’t actually fire them. The Russians had the codes.

And what is this about Anglo-Saxons?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They couldn’t actually fire them. The Russians had the codes.

I'm sure soviet cold-war era codes would never, ever be cracked. Also, not every warhead was protected. And they had thousands of them.

"According to at least some data, a significant number of nuclear warheads are not equipped with blocking devices at all. The new electronic or old mechanical devices are installed only on entrances into the storage facilities. Thus, unauthorized access to the warheads becomes easier".

And what is this about Anglo-Saxons?

How about, everything? Who signed Budapest Memorandum?

Wildebeest

I'm sure that Ukraine would have been able to develop their own nuclear weapons domestically in the time they had, so it was not just a case of them hacking soviet codes or something. They already had the power plants. A country like Japan, for example, while nominally not a nuclear power, could very quickly develop their own weapons if they felt they had to. The ease which Japan could acquire these weapons could be a major reason why you don't hear as many threats of nuclear terrorism from China in the same way you do with Russia. The Beijing elite probably feel they spend too much of their lives in the Cold War works and tunnel system under the city anyway.

darrylgorn

I've never been afraid of any nukes coming from Russia but people around me keep freaking out about it so I decided to do a little 'research'.

I'm just putting this out there as an opener to discussing the likelihood of a nuclear response from them.

How real is the threat of nuclear war right now?

I don’t think we should be very worried. Putin is fully aware that if he actually started a nuclear war, he would end up with Russia being a burning pile of rubble. There are only 200 cities in Russia with more than 100,000 people. The U.S. could attack every Boulder-sized and bigger city in Russia with 10 nuclear weapons. Putin is certainly aware of that and I don’t think he would want that. What he’s trying to do is bully the West into not helping Ukraine.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Does Boris understand that the country is being blown up everyday?

Don't be so dense.

Think about the wider impacts of this statement.

Morale boost for the people of Ukraine, knowing the outside world thinks they will be the victors and the country will be re-built by 2028 to such a level to host a major world wide sporting event.

Doesn't matter if its a reality, its the message it sends that's important now.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Russian stock market is a total steal right now. You could buy a share for a dollar that is worth a fraction of a cent in a real market, except you can't sell it anyway.

Raven117

I'm sure soviet cold-war era codes would never, ever be cracked. Also, not every warhead was protected. And they had thousands of them.

"According to at least some data, a significant number of nuclear warheads are not equipped with blocking devices at all. The new electronic or old mechanical devices are installed only on entrances into the storage facilities. Thus, unauthorized access to the warheads becomes easier".

How about, everything? Who signed Budapest Memorandum?
Yeah, nice quote out of context.

Not biting on the Anglo-Saxon, but okay buddy.

They might have “the luxury” of driving a British car, which would be what…a 1973 Robin Reliant, these days, to a Wetherspoons. But many of them choose not to, and that’s also part of the meme. British culture is as fluid and consuming as the English language, saying Wetherspoons = British culture and not other things like learning French in school is just you drawing arbitrary lines again.
Just to be pedantic, it's actually a Reliant Robin, not a Robin Reliant. It might seem trivial in a thread about a war but I couldn't remain silent any longer.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Someone blew up a Russian ship.The one totally destroyed is an Alligator class landing ship, and the specific one appears to be the Orsk, number 148 commissioned in 1968. The near ship appears to be marked 55, which is the Admiral Nevelskoy, a Ropucha class landing ship commissioned1982.

What is the price of a ship like that?? I mean i heard absurd numbers for tanks and war airplanes, but that thing must cost a fortune...

Putin really is sucking russian money dry...

Last edited:
What is the price of a ship like that?? I mean i heard absurd numbers for tanks and war airplanes, but that thing must cost a fortune...

Putin really is sucking russian money dry...
From what someone mentioned, this is a really old ship, which would be costly to fix. Also more costly to built a new one XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom