• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If Biden had gone into Ukraine against advisement and then ended up getting hit by a middle from Russia, even though the strike wasn’t on NATO soil that would start WW3 right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
according to NOS (dutch BBC)

https://nos.nl/artikel/2422669-rusland-lijkt-doelen-bij-te-stellen-focus-nu-op-bevrijding-donbas

(translation by google translate)

could be good news if true, but it would seem such a loss of face that I'm scarcely readily to believe Putin would go along with it
Seems so:

Now that Ukraine is on the counter-offensive and mopping up the areas outside of Kyiv, Russia is declaring "mission accomplished" there and is shifting focus to eastern Ukraine.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's a pretty sad state of affairs when we are hoping the leader of the free world is *just* suffering from dementia and not seriously saying something.
agreed, buts it not like we haven’t lived with that same “the president didn’t mean the literal words he just said” for the past 6 years between both Biden and Trump. I really hope whoever our next President is, he at least can say things without all of us having to do mental gymnastics to figure out what the hell is truth/miss speak/brain farts or miss direction.

FunkMiller

They’re…….. retreating.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

FunkMiller

It was always their plan to change plans to the plans they planned to change to all along. According to plan.

I would post the Charlie Always Sunny Pepe Silvia gif at this point, but I’m pretty sure Charlie would have made a better job of a military invasion.

QSD

Tactical nukes are in the next step for Russia, it is in their game play. If they cant get Ukraine to surrender, Putin will escalate.

Report from Sweden.
I certainly worry about the state of mind of Putin (a humiliated person is a person at his most dangerous) but maybe, just maybe, we're going to crawl trough the eye of the needle yet again

pramod

Banned
Can anyone explain what was the rationale for Bidens trip to Poland?

For me it seems like a completely pointless trip whose only side effect would be to make the Russians feel even more threatened.

Pagusas

Elden Member

For me it seems like a completely pointless trip whose only side effect would be to make the Russians feel even more threatened.

show of support and reconfirmation of Article 5. shows support to deployed troops. shows a projection of power to Russia and a resolve that we are not going to get complacent or stop caring (a very common opinion of us westerners is that we grow board and will move on to the next news story after a short time)

Last edited:

He was in Belgium for a NATO meeting a couple of days ago and went to meet the Polish president. Could have done it over Zoom I suppose but that could be true for any meeting that isn’t taking place in the White House and not just this one. Doubt it would make Russia feel more threatened unless your image of Biden is Rambo.

pramod

Banned
He was in Belgium for a NATO meeting a couple of days ago and went to meet the Polish president. Could have done it over Zoom I suppose but that could be true for any meeting that isn’t taking place in the White House and not just this one. Doubt it would make Russia feel more threatened unless your image of Biden is Rambo.
Ok my bad I didn't realize he was already in Belgium. In which case a quick side trip to Poland to visit the troops can be justified.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Does anyone honestly think that these "sanctions" are actually accomplishing anything?

When has sanctions ever made a country backdown in a war?

To me it's more like virtue signaling. These countries can't fight Russia directly, but they also can't afford the image of not doing anything.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Does anyone honestly think that these "sanctions" are actually accomplishing anything?

To me it's more like virtue signaling. These countries can't fight Russia directly, but they also can't afford the image of not doing anything.

The following nations are on the sanctions list by the US prior to Belarus and Russia being added:

Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Cuba.

Which one of these are able to launch an expensive expeditionary war with their military?

Romulus

The following nations are on the sanctions list by the US prior to Belarus and Russia being added:

Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Cuba.

Which one of these are able to launch an expensive expeditionary war with their military?

None of those nations are remotely capable.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Yes. Russian media control makes it very hard for the average Russian citizen to become aware of what's going on.

However, when the *entire world* sanctions the fuck out of Russian and McDonald's is no longer an option, the average Joe in Russia will take notice. And he will wonder, why is the entire world protesting us?

Not to mention the decrease in economic leverage which reduces Russia's capability to wage war.

BigBooper

I think the cancel culture arguments maybe don't translate well to Russian? I would much rather be canceled on social media than for my life and country to be "canceled" by violence and war.

MastaKiiLA

Looks consistent with white phosphorus munitions, yes.

Horrific stuff to be dropping on a city.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure US has much of a leg to stand on in condemning this given the accusations (and video?) of WP being used on Fallujah. I'm not sure why we treat WP differently than mustard gas and the like. It's also an indiscriminate and brutal killer.

FunkMiller

I think the cancel culture arguments maybe don't translate well to Russian? I would much rather be canceled on social media than for my life and country to be "canceled" by violence and war.

No they don't. Any comparison made between idiots cancelling one another on Twitter for saying something horrible at some point about someone else, and sanctions imposed on a nation that is literally slaughtering children... is fatuous and ridiculous.

sinnergy

Now that Ukraine is on the counter-offensive and mopping up the areas outside of Kyiv, Russia is declaring "mission accomplished" there and is shifting focus to eastern Ukraine.

Well if you can’t win , tell this story; this was always the plan🤣 but I figure it wasn’t the main goal.

I always kept in my mind it could become a Germany situation , that divides the country in West and East, seems Russia is taking that loss and wants to settle for this .. I wouldn’t if I was Ukraine.. push them into Russia.

The problem is if you let Putin who says he won’t try again in 5 - 10 years ..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Western sanctions should not be turned back even if they occupy donbas and Ukraine agrees to peace. Only when the status goes back to before the war and Putin is out, should we maybe consider reversing the sanctions.

Absolutely right. In fact, I’d go as far as no sanctions lifted until regime change has happened in Russia. That poison little chickenshit needs to go.

Tams

Gold Member
Tactical nukes are in the next step for Russia, it is in their game play. If they cant get Ukraine to surrender, Putin will escalate.

Report from Sweden.
No they aren't. They don't want Moscow to be like Mariupol.

They'll push on, either managing to make gains, or retreat and lie, saying that their intentions were always much less than before. Currently, they're doing the latter.

FunkMiller

No they aren't. They don't want Moscow to be like Mariupol.

They'll push on, either managing to make gains, or retreat and lie, saying that their intentions were always much less than before. Currently, they're doing the latter.

Putin doesn’t want to die. If he starts to launch nukes at NATO, he might die.

He’s terrified of the west’s power. Everything he’s done is about his feelings of inadequacy… an inadequacy that he’s only exposed to the world with his failed invasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom