• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeest

I feel like I can respect Biden due to his love of Kierkegaard. Say what you will about the tenets of existentialism, dude, at least it's an ethos. I think that a crisis like the current one is not really something that can be solved "rationally" as much as people like to speculate and back seat.

Which part?
Touting him as having the best foreign policy in 40 years. He’s been president for 1 year. In that time he’s seen an invasion of a semi ally and seems to have partially alienated Saudi Arabia, a more important ally, to the point they are not taking his calls and seem to be moving closer to China. They also seem to be alienating India. Now maybe this is all temporary and when the dust settles, you will be correct. But that remains to be seen. He’s successfully galvanized Europe, although, again, time will tell. These sanctions are going to put a lot of stress on the Europeans. We will see how they hold up.

I’m not necessarily pessimistic. But foreign policy is very hard to judge in the moment. We will have to be patient before we can make those kind of statements.

He said what he intended to say. The White House walked it back but the message is clear and it was intended for those in Russia with the capacity to hear it.
That sounds suspiciously like “4D chess” to me. The White House has already said that wasn’t a part of his prepared remarks. And considering Biden’s bad habit of sticking his foot in his mouth, I wouldn’t be so sure anything is clear about what Joe has said this week.

He told troops they were going to Ukraine yesterday. A day or two before that, his White House had to clarify that when he said we would “respond in kind” to a Russian chemical weapons attack, he didn’t actually mean “in kind” because that implies responding with our own chemical weapons attack. So it’s not a safe assumption that Joe is saying what he means.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Touting him as having the best foreign policy in 40 years. He’s been president for 1 year. In that time he’s seen an invasion of a semi ally and seems to have partially alienated Saudi Arabia, a more important ally, to the point they are not taking his calls and seem to be moving closer to China. They also seem to be alienating India. Now maybe this is all temporary and when the dust settles, you will be correct. But that remains to be seen. He’s successfully galvanized Europe, although, again, time will tell. These sanctions are going to put a lot of stress in the Europeans. We will see how they hold up.

I’m not necessarily pessimistic. But foreign policy is very hard to judge in the moment. We will have to be patient before we can make those kind of statements.

That sounds suspiciously like “4D chess” to me. The White House has already said that wasn’t a part of his prepared remarks. And considering Biden’s bad habit of sticking his foot in his mouth, I wouldn’t be so sure anything is clear about what Joe has said this week.

He told troops they were going to Ukraine yesterday. A day or two before that, his White House had to clarify that when he said we would “respond in kind” to a Russian chemical weapons attack, he didn’t actually mean “in kind” because that implies responding with our own chemical weapons attack. So it’s not a safe assumption that Joe is saying what he means.
This whole tightrope over the last month has been a game of 4D chess in which we only see the surface. It hasn’t been checkers.

This whole tightrope over the last month has been a game of 4D chess in which we only see the surface. It hasn’t been checkers.
All I am saying is the guy has basically stuck his foot in his mouth every day during this trip. I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose as some sort of grand strategy. I think it’s far more likely that he’s just running his mouth, as he’s made a habit of doing his whole career. The difference being that he’s the President now, and his words carry a lot more weight.

Last edited:
Touting him as having the best foreign policy in 40 years. He’s been president for 1 year. In that time he’s seen an invasion of a semi ally and seems to have partially alienated Saudi Arabia, a more important ally, to the point they are not taking his calls and seem to be moving closer to China. They also seem to be alienating India. Now maybe this is all temporary and when the dust settles, you will be correct. But that remains to be seen. He’s successfully galvanized Europe, although, again, time will tell. These sanctions are going to put a lot of stress on the Europeans. We will see how they hold up.
I don't know if I'd say biden has galvanised Europe. I'd say Putin and/or Zelenskyy/plight of Ukraine has galvanised NATO

Edgelord79

Gold Member
All I am saying is the guy has basically stuck his foot in his mouth every day during this trip. I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose as some sort of grand strategy. I think it’s far more likely that he’s just running his mouth, as he’s made a habit of doing his whole career. The difference being that he’s the President now, and his words carry a lot more weight.
We will agree to disagree here as I suspect this is a different discussion and one I don’t care to get into.

We will agree to disagree here as I suspect this is a different discussion and one I don’t care to get into.
I mean, it is what it is. This week he implied the US would respond to a chemical weapons attack with its own chemical weapons. The White House had to walk that back. I’m assuming the President understands what “respond in kind” means, but I guess that could be attributed to bad phrasing.

A day or two later he’s telling troops they’re going to see what Ukraine is like when they get there. Which is a not very subtle implication that US troops are going to Ukraine. The White House had to walk that back.

Then today he’s saying Putin needs to be removed from power. The White House had to clean it up once again. You can choose to believe that is all some sort of strategy to send not-so-subtle messages to the Russian people. I’m more inclined to believe it’s a pattern of sloppy communication from a guy that has a history of that kind of thing.

I wouldn’t put that on Biden. Zelensky deserves way more credit: if he had just fled the country as expected Europe and Biden would have done nothing. No one believed Putin was going to invade.
Yup, that's what I was saying.
Dont get me wrong, USA and Biden have been pretty good from what I can see,with vocal and actual material support, but maybe its the US media portraying Biden in a very good light that makes him look like he's the one sorting stuff out and is in charge?

In my opinion Bidens done a better job than Borris here in the UK, who can't tell a party from a work conference, but I stand by my statement, Biden (and the world) reacted to Putin, and hasn't galvanised Europe, Putin and Ukraine has galvanised NATO (for the better) of which the US is obviously a major part of

MrMephistoX

Yup, that's what I was saying.
Dont get me wrong, USA and Biden have been pretty good from what I can see,with vocal and actual material support, but maybe its the US media portraying Biden in a very good light that makes him look like he's the one sorting stuff out and is in charge?

In my opinion Bidens done a better job than Borris here in the UK, who can't tell a party from a work conference, but I stand by my statement, Biden (and the world) reacted to Putin, and hasn't galvanised Europe, Putin and Ukraine has galvanised NATO (for the better) of which the US is obviously a major part of
I’m sort of indifferent on Biden’s wartime strategy like if he makes this kind of gaffe I think the Russian diplomacy organ will believe it when the WH walks it back whereas certain other former politicians may have gotten into a dick measuring nuclear brinkmanship rhetoric contest at worst or simply made excuses for Putin due to a weird fawning admiration for him. Biden’s basically done what he was elected to do as a lukewarm tepid president. His wartime leadership is neither good nor bad: he’s just coasting along reacting to events and quietly providing bare minimum support and that’s probably what america needs right now.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
I wouldn’t put that on Biden. Zelensky deserves way more credit: if he had just fled the country as expected Europe and Biden would have done nothing. No one believed Putin was going to invade.

Zelensky has done a great job since the invasion, no doubt. However the months leading up to it, getting the SWIFT/sanctions, unifying NATO, getting the EU to pull it's head out of it's ass, all before the invasion while providing super clear intelligence and predicting step for step Russia's plans by Biden and the administration has been nothing but remarkable. So not taking anything away from Zelensky, but credit where credits due.

I mean, it is what it is. This week he implied the US would respond to a chemical weapons attack with its own chemical weapons. The White House had to walk that back. I’m assuming the President understands what “respond in kind” means, but I guess that could be attributed to bad phrasing.

A day or two later he’s telling troops they’re going to see what Ukraine is like when they get there. Which is a not very subtle implication that US troops are going to Ukraine. The White House had to walk that back.

Then today he’s saying Putin needs to be removed from power. The White House had to clean it up once again. You can choose to believe that is all some sort of strategy to send not-so-subtle messages to the Russian people. I’m more inclined to believe it’s a pattern of sloppy communication from a guy that has a history of that kind of thing.

These aren't accidents, my man. Biden has done this his whole career and people want to chaulk it up to "stupid man" syndrome. Yet the results speak for themselves. None of these have been gaffes, and today's comment is a/ what everyone wants (e.g. Putin out of power), and b/ forcing the conversation. Just turn on the news - every congressman and state dept official are saying the exact same thing, in lock step, and messaging this out brilliantly. It's coordinated and not an accident. If he truly were that far ahead it'd be chaos and the domestic politics would be a scrambled messaging mess. It's not.

It's also welcomed news for Ukraine and any resistance in Russia.

I’m sort of indifferent on Biden like if he makes this kind of gaffe I think the Russian diplomacy organ will believe it when the WH walks it back whereas certain other former politicians may have gotten into a dick measuring nuclear brinkmanship rhetoric contest at worst or simply made excuses for Putin due to a weird fawning admiration for him. Biden’s basically done what he was elected to do as a lukewarm tepid president neither good nor bad.
The only major problem with Biden (from my very uneducated in US politics position), is that he seems very, very old sometimes when on TV, like he's been wheeled out to say something to the cameras, and even that doesn't go to plan half the time, fumbling words, looking half awake, unaware of surroundings.

It kind of makes the US look weak maybe? Weak probably isn't the right word. Everyone has to look after the old man after he said something wrong... but when he's alert and active, he seems fine

That being said, I've noticed that he's standing, and walking, giving his speeches, rallying the troops, whilst strangely, putin has been slumped in a chair behind desks in almost everything I've seen him in recently, like he can't keep himself upright and needs to hide his weakening body behind things constantly?

MrMephistoX

Zelensky has done a great job since the invasion, no doubt. However the months leading up to it, getting the SWIFT/sanctions, unifying NATO, getting the EU to pull it's head out of it's ass, all before the invasion while providing super clear intelligence and predicting step for step Russia's plans by Biden and the administration has been nothing but remarkable. So not taking anything away from Zelensky, but credit where credits due.

These aren't accidents, my man. Biden has done this his whole career and people want to chaulk it up to "stupid man" syndrome. Yet the results speak for themselves. None of these have been gaffes, and today's comment is a/ what everyone wants (e.g. Putin out of power), and b/ forcing the conversation. Just turn on the news - every congressman and state dept official are saying the exact same thing, in lock step, and messaging this out brilliantly. It's coordinated and not an accident. If he truly were that far ahead it'd be chaos and the domestic politics would be a scrambled messaging mess. It's not.

If regime change results from this gaffe I’ll be the first to praise it as a brilliant strategy otherwise it’s just platitudes. The Russian people need to rise up with the support of like half the invasion force in Ukraine converting to military defectors: simply protesting gets them nowhere.

LQX

Yep, the US was beating the drum for months about invasion, meanwhile many here and aboard seemingly were unconvinced. For a bit even Ukraine seemingly was not taking it seriously as they sort of implied the US were being warmongers.

Also, I'm convinced the US had intelligence directly from someone higher up in Russia that did not want this war to happened, and maybe thought if the US knew every aspect of it Putin might call it off. I wonder if we will ever know his or their names in our lifetime.

It's also welcomed news for Ukraine and any resistance in Russia
Really? You think Biden meant to say we would respond to a Russian chemical weapons attack “in kind”. As in we would respond to chemical weapons with chemical weapons? I sincerely doubt that and I think you’re using some pretty rose colored glasses if you don’t. I don’t want this to stray from the Ukraine topic too much, so I’ll steer clear from going back through Joe’s career. Let’s just say your perspective on his resume to this point is very much up for debate.

FunkMiller

The US President just said today he wants Putin regime change in Russia. Then his people walked it back. I would say that’s relevant and worth discussing. Maybe you disagree.

It’s worth a mention certainly, but not as an excuse to either bash Biden or support him. Which is what seems to be happening.

It’s worth a mention certainly, but not as an excuse to either bash Biden or support him. Which is what seems to be happening.
The discussion is more about how seriously to take this. Is it deliberate? Does it have broader implications? There is no way to discuss it without discussing Biden‘a political record because that’s how you put the comments into context. The question is whether he is saying these things strategically or whether they are misstatements.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Really? You think Biden meant to say we would respond to a Russian chemical weapons attack “in kind”. As in we would respond to chemical weapons with chemical weapons? I sincerely doubt that and I think you’re using some pretty rose colored glasses if you don’t. I don’t want this to stray from the Ukraine topic too much, so I’ll steer clear from going back through Joe’s career. Let’s just say your perspective on his resume to this point is very much up for debate.

Pressure on Russia, and the impact of Biden or other leaders is in direct relation to the war. Let's just not drift sideways.

But the quote you're referring to was related to any WMD, but isn't specific that the US would use chemical weapons. Besides, the US hasn't produced chemical weapons in decades and has nearly destroyed all remaining chemical weapons in it's arsenal. It's not going to suddenly start using them. There are plenty of "in kind" conventional weapons that the US can use that will meet that level of escalation.

I'd also say looking at who have been President over the past 40 years is that stuff competition either.

I must admit, I was 100% unimpressed by Biden before this crisis. I wouldn't have gone for him if I had a say.

That said, however it is being achieved, he is doing a superb job and grafting far more than gaffing (if they are gaffs... maybe not all are..). I wish my country's leader was such a statesman. He's upfront and getting everyone into position. Being a total boss.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The discussion is more about how seriously to take this. Is it deliberate? Does it have broader implications? There is no way to discuss it without discussing Biden‘a political record because that’s how you put the comments into context. The question is whether he is saying these things strategically or whether they are misstatements.

He said the right thing. That’s really all that matters. Anything else is conjecture designed to either denigrate his abilities, or prop them up.

Pressure on Russia, and the impact of Biden or other leaders is in direct relation to the war. Let's just not drift sideways.

But the quote you're referring to was related to any WMD, but isn't specific that the US would use chemical weapons. Besides, the US hasn't produced chemical weapons in decades and has nearly destroyed all remaining chemical weapons in it's arsenal. It's not going to suddenly start using them. There are plenty of "in kind" conventional weapons that the US can use that will meet that level of escalation.

I'd also say looking at who have been President over the past 40 years is that stuff competition either.
You are right that we just aren’t going to see his comments and the repeated, subsequent clean up the same way. That’s all right though. Whether this is strategic or not, how it plays out will become clear in time.

He said the right thing. That’s really all that matters. Anything else is conjecture designed to either denigrate his abilities, or prop them up.
He said a thing that the Russian government will find incredibly inflammatory. If that government ends up remaining power, comments like that will make deescalation more difficult. Also, regime changes are messy and unpredictable. This is particularly true with regards to a country loaded with nuclear weapons. It’s not something to talk about lightly. I think it was dumb when Lindsey Graham said pretty much the same thing two weeks ago.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
When Biden does something, half of the US population will think that he's an incompetent senile idiot, and half of the US population will think that he's savvy and great and only 50% senile. The details on the event in question won't change that outcome much.

Thus we move things along, stick to following news and updates on the war, and stay off the partisan bickering.

When Biden does something, half of the US population will think that he's an incompetent senile idiot, and half of the US population will think that he's savvy and great and only 50% senile. The details on the event in question won't change that outcome much.

Thus we move things along, stick to following news and updates on the war, and stay off the partisan bickering.
Fair enough.

MrMephistoX

You are right that we just aren’t going to see his comments and the repeated, subsequent clean up the same way. That’s all right though. Whether this is strategic or not, how it plays out will become clear in time.

He said a thing that the Russian government will find incredibly inflammatory. If that government ends up remaining power, comments like that will make deescalation more difficult. Also, regime changes are messy and unpredictable. This is particularly true with regards to a country loaded with nuclear weapons. It’s not something to talk about lightly. I think it was dumb when Lindsey Graham said pretty much the same thing two weeks ago.
Putin also by many accounts has a sort of PTSD after living through the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union shortly thereafter calling for and getting no support from Moscow hearing “Moscow is silent” on the other line. He also reportedly obsessively watched the death videos of his “friend” Gaddafi being led around the streets like a bloodied dog and then being shot in the head for hours on end. He’s not going quietly with that many nukes. Hell he’d probably Death Star resistant cities in Russia out of existence with his own nukes before willingly leaving office. Don’t know if he’d nuke NATO if a legit civil war broke out in his country but he’d definitely use them to pacify his own people.

Last edited:
Putin also by many accounts has a sort of PTSD after living through the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union shortly thereafter calling for and getting no support from Moscow hearing “Moscow is silent” on the other line. He also reportedly obsessively watched the death videos of his “friend” Gaddafi being led around the streets like a bloodied dog and then being shot in the head for hours on end. He’s not going quietly with that many nukes. Hell he’d probably Death Star resistant cities in Russia out of existence with his own nukes before willingly leaving office.
God let’s hope not. I’m mostly of the opinion it would be better to wait until he died while trying to mitigate his impact, but I have no idea what is likely to come next. The guy is like 72 years old and *rumored* to have health problems. I think regime change in Russia is just so fraught with unintended consequences that it’s not a good idea. Then again, I don’t know enough to feel strongly about it. I just have concerns that may or may not be unfounded.

Deescalation? Are you for real? There should not be any deescalation with Russia unless Russia has significant changes. How do you deescalate when Russia is literally trying to expand?

God let’s hope not. I’m mostly of the opinion it would be better to wait until he died while trying to mitigate his impact, but I have no idea what is likely to come next. The guy is like 72 years old and *rumored* to have health problems. I think regime change in Russia is just so fraught with unintended consequences that it’s not a good idea. Then again, I don’t know enough to feel strongly about it. I just have concerns that may or may not be unfounded.
You have to realize that Putin is just small part of the problem. Overwhelming majority of Russians have hated West for the past decade. Nothing will change unless Russian economy fails.

FunkMiller

You have to realize that Putin is just small part of the problem. Overwhelming majority of Russians have hated West for the past decade. Nothing will change unless Russian economy fails.

It seems to be an extremely unfortunate truth that for Russia to truly become a positive part of the international community, it must first be broken down, to be rebuilt.

I think half the reason this whole invasion has been allowed to occur is that the west were fooled into thinking the Russians were further down this path than they actually were.

Russia is still more Stalin’s Soviet Union than Gorbachev’s Russian Federation.

Thaedolus

I dunno…seems like a lot of people pine for the good old days while forgetting how much bullshit they had to deal with and how many new conveniences they lacked at the time. Resetting the clock back to the 80’s is precisely the thing to jog people’s memories…and I think opinions might quickly come around as a result.

Maybe that’s me being optimistic

akimbo009

Gold Member
I dunno…seems like a lot of people pine for the good old days while forgetting how much bullshit they had to deal with and how many new conveniences they lacked at the time. Resetting the clock back to the 80’s is precisely the thing to jog people’s memories…and I think opinions might quickly come around as a result.

Maybe that’s me being optimistic
I just want to wear jams and trade garbage pail kids cards again.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Why do you think it was ad-libbed? Almost that entire clip was cliched speech one liners, but he didn't garble it up that I noticed. It looks like a poorly written speech that he's reading off the teleprompter to me.

Seems like warhawking, fearmongering by the media considering the US has not "directly" engaged Russian forces yet. I'm inclined to believe the comms team on this sort of. They would not signal military escalation in this way, but also I'm sure they want Putin to be replaced.
Does he has enough Brain to know what is he going to read or are you saying he just parrots you know like a parrot...

Airbus Jr

Banned
g5d5qqH.jpg

Ionian

Populate hates the economy failing by actions of their leader.

This is 101.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Whoever keeps posting those boots on the ground docs from Vice & others, keep it up. I've been saving those and watching when time allows. Really heartbreaking stuff but it is good to get these images & stories out there.

It feels entirely different than coverage of previous military conflicts. Maybe it's the hd resolution or the immediacy of it or maybe it's just because of my age, but it's been the most powerful way to absorb the reality of the situation.

DustQueen

Banned
J
It seems to be an extremely unfortunate truth that for Russia to truly become a positive part of the international community, it must first be broken down, to be rebuilt.

I think half the reason this whole invasion has been allowed to occur is that the west were fooled into thinking the Russians were further down this path than they actually were.

Russia is still more Stalin’s Soviet Union than Gorbachev’s Russian Federation.
Jesus ..... What a ridiculous fucking statement...
Wanting to break Russia apart n rebuild in you own image while actually saying that it is Russians who hate the west...WTF
You are really not seing any irony here, don't you?

And what exactly makes today's international "community" so positive?
Cos i don't know if you aware of US politics lately, but west is a fucking mess.
Russians do not hate the west.
They just do not think that countries where a man breaking woman's orbital bone as a televised entertainment thought as a win for equality n trans rights or whatever should break them down n rebuild their home.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

J

Jesus ..... What a ridiculous fucking statement...
Wanting to break Russia apart n rebuild in you own image while actually saying that it is Russians who hate the west...WTF
You are really not seing any irony here, don't you?

And what exactly makes today's international "community" so positive?
Cos i don't know if you aware of US politics lately, but west is a fucking mess.
Russians do not hate the west.
They just do not think that countries where a man breaking woman's orbital bone as a televised entertaiment thought as a win for equality n trans rights or whatever should break them down n rebuild their home.

Nice word salad.

The point is… Russia has to be as heavily punished for the war atrocities it is committing as is practicably possible. Maybe after that has happened it can rejoin the international community in a more productive, less children murdering kind of way. But it’s up to them to recreate themselves after their economy is destroyed, nobody else.

And please stop comparing the issues the west has (which are many, no doubt) with what disgusting barbarism is coming from Russia. Russia is now a pariah state, run by a corrupt madman and his mafia. Nothing more. It’s fatuous and inaccurate to draw comparisons. Russia is now regarded as being more similar to Nazi Germany than it is any other government past or present. You can thank Daddy Putin for that.

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned
Nice word salad.

The point is… Russia has to be as heavily punished for the war atrocities it is committing as is practicably possible. Maybe after that has happened it can rejoin the international community in a more productive, less children murdering kind of way. But it’s up to them to recreate themselves after their economy is destroyed, nobody else.

And please stop comparing the issues the west has (which are many, no doubt) with what disgusting barbarism is coming from Russia. Russia is now a pariah state, run by a corrupt madman and his mafia. Nothing more. It’s fatuous and inaccurate to draw comparisons. Russia is now regarded as being more similar to Nazi Germany than it is any other government past or present. You can thank Daddy Putin for that.

Really... And you call my post a world salad)))

You are clearly not a Russian scholar n mostly is a Twitter Politics professor.
you completely missing the fact that this is not bout Ukraine.
NOBODY CARES bout it....not Putin, not Biden n *spoiler* you don't give a flying fuckiddy fuck bout those dead children ether.
and if you wanna punish people responsible for the horrible war crimes you should go to Washington first

IT is ENTIRELY bout killing US dollar as a world currency where China n stupidity of the current US leadership play even bigger role than Russia.

And while you virtue signaling bout children you don't give a fuck about n fantasizing bout Russia economy being destroyed, it is the western financial system with all of it's debt that is on a brink of collapse.

That what this war is bout.

And all of those sanctions west imposed just untied Putins hands to completely nationalise banking system, make the west pay 5x times more for the gas n support his national currency(ruble) by making everybody who buy Russian gas to pay in rubes. You probably didn't know, but ruble gained back 50% of the value it lost since the war started just in the last 2 days.

It is a war to destroy US dollar n as of now US is just about started to loose it.

But you can keep on juggling your Hitler metaphors n focusing on "saving" Ukraine.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Really... And you call my post a world salad)))

You are clearly not a Russian scholar n mostly is a Twitter Politics professor.
you completely missing the fact that this is not bout Ukraine.
NOBODY CARES bout it....not Putin, not Biden n *spoiler* you don't give a flying fuckiddy fuck bout those dead children ether.
and if you wanna punish people responsible for the horrible war crimes you should go to Washington first

IT is ENTIRELY bout killing US dollar as a world currency where China n stupidity of the current US leadership play even bigger role than Russia.

And while you virtue signaling bout children you don't give a fuck about n fantasizing bout Russia economy being destroyed, it is the western financial system with all of it's debt that is on a brink of collapse.

That what this war is bout.

And all of those sanctions west imposed just untied Putins hands to completely nationalise banking system, make the west pay 5x times more for the gas n support his national currency(ruble) by making everybody who buy Russian gas to pay in rubes. You probably didn't know, but ruble gained back 50% of the value it lost since the war started just in the last 2 days.

It is a war to destroy US dollar n as of now US is just about started to loose it.

But you can keep on juggling your Hitler metaphors n focusing on "saving" Ukraine.

War? You mean special military operation, tovarisch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom