• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban

When i see videos like that i always ask myself how much of the video (dialog) is real or if the girl that randomly pops out behind a tank was initially placed there just for the video. Cause there is always a media warfare going on and its a common thing to use "good looking girls". The PYD did it too in Syria

To be clear: Im not saying that the War is fake or that there are no casualties

I mean only the video and that there is a random girl conveniently walking towards the Camera, with full make up, no dirt on her clothes/face and looks bad ass. For me the whole video is staged and not just a random thing.

edit: lol

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

When i see videos like that i always ask myself how much of the video (dialog) is real or if the girl that randomly pops out behind a tank was initially placed there just for the video. Cause there is always a media warfare going on and its a common thing to use "good looking girls". The PYD did it too in Syria

To be clear: Im not saying that the War is fake or that there are no casualties

I mean only the video and that there is a random girl conveniently walking towards the Camera, with full make up, no dirt on her clothes/face and looks bad ass. For me the whole video is staged and not just a random thing.

As long as she is destroying the Russian army I'm ok with it.
Edit: but I'm afraid I'll have to file that video under "Fake"

Last edited:

Aggelos

Ya, seems to be her. Виктория Заверуха.

ByTIE1b.jpg

QSD

I think the cancel culture arguments maybe don't translate well to Russian? I would much rather be canceled on social media than for my life and country to be "canceled" by violence and war.
I think I've mentioned this before but I don't think the comparisons to cancel culture are all that crazy. Especially when you look at the corporate response, which is a cessation of business with russia on an unprecedented scale. I would even go so far as to say that if it hadn't been for 'cancel culture' we would not have seen the same massive response. Part of 'cancel culture' IMHO is a demand that corporations not be silent on important social/political issues and are willing to cease doing business in response to pressure of public opinion. In this case I would say that's a great thing because it resulted in the broadest ever boycott/cancellation in living memory (I think ... you'd have to go back to apartheit south africa in the 80ies to find something remotely similar).

Most of the time, cancellations are cynical and the difference between right & wrong is not as clear cut. In this case though, I'd say to Putin that we may argue endlessly about Rowling etc, but we will gladly unite to cancel his ass back to the stone age.

Thaedolus

You corrupt piece of shit

Drag Queen Singing GIF by Paramount+

Thank you for doing a really good service to the Ukrainian people. You are a hero, now root in hell.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Corruption, lack of accountability, no rule of law…idiots think doing things by the books makes you weak or unable to respond to things, when the reality is the west is showing why these things are necessary to avoid the rot that comes from running your country like the mafia. Let there be no mistaking which system is superior. Russians wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a war against the west.

Braag

It's painful reading about this war at times.
There were literally people claiming that Zelenskyi is using green screen to trick people, cause all the bombed buildings look similar and already empty.

warming coal city il GIF

raystlin7

Neo Member
4qnd8c9n8lp81.jpg

this is rich coming from the guy that deletes people

edit: oops already discussed t.t
Yeah it's vladimir putin who is canceling the rich russian musical and literary culture. Cause no one cares about your culture when you're erasing whole towns and cities from the map.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Putin talking about cancel culture and JK Rowling is ridiculous man

Did he read neogaf or something
talking about "cancel culture" is the primary export of the US right wing media. but not new: if you go back to look at what was produced in the 1980s and 1990s it was the same content under the label "political correctness". it just comes off funny when dictators say it because there is no pretense of liberal values (tolerance, pluralism, etc).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
talking about "cancel culture" is the primary export of the US right wing media. but not new: if you go back to look at what was produced in the 1980s and 1990s it was the same content under the label "political correctness". it just comes off funny when dictators say it because there is no pretense of liberal values (tolerance, pluralism, etc).
Cancel culture and political correctness are not equivalent at all.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Putin talking about cancel culture and JK Rowling is ridiculous man

Did he read neogaf or something

Probably just a way to cause divisions. Looking at social media, if appears to be having the desired effect with people now claiming if you agree with Rowling then you're with Putin.

darrylgorn

It's the most blatantly obvious diversion that isn't changing anyone's opinion on Putin.

He's already ingrained in our minds as the next Hitler.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Cancel culture and political correctness are not equivalent at all.
you're wrong. if you go back and read what was written about "political correctness" it was the same concerns about self censorship, complaints about PC Zealots that match directly on complaints about SJWs, etc. go listen to video of Peter Thiel complaining about PC at Stanford in 1990s and it fits directly in current "discourse"

but that is just a specific form of what John Gray calls "hyper liberalism". that tension and hypocrisy was built into liberalism from the beginning. John Locke extended charity to Protestants whereas Catholics (and atheists) were beyond the pale

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
you're wrong. if you go back and read what was written about "political correctness" it was the same concerns about self censorship, complaints about PC Zealots that match directly on complaints about SJWs, etc. go listen to video of Peter Thiel complaining about PC at Stanford in 1990s and it fits directly in current "discourse"

but that is just a specific form of what John Gray calls "hyper liberalism". that tension and hypocrisy was built into liberalism from the beginning. John Locke extended charity to Protestants whereas Catholics (and atheists) were beyond the pale
Nah.

MrMephistoX

So apparently Biden slipped in an ad lib in his speech: “Putin cannot remain in power”. I mean good to hear but what seems like a “Mr Gorbachev tear down this wall!” moment is being walked back by Biden’s White House comms team? I wonder if Putin going to blow it off as a toothless threat/Freudian slip or actually use it as some kind justification to escalate things though? The bombed a fuel depot right near the Polish border in Lviv shortly after.

Last edited:
So apparently Biden slipped in an ad lib in his speech: “Putin cannot remain in power”. I mean good to hear but what seems like a “Mr Gorbachev tear down this wall!” moment is being walked back by Biden’s White House comms team? I wonder if Putin going to blow it off as a toothless threat/Freudian slip or actually use it as some kind justification to escalate things though? The bombed a fuel depot right near the Polish border in Lviv shortly after.

Actively walk it back, or just omit it from their talking points?

BigBooper

Why do you think it was ad-libbed? Almost that entire clip was cliched speech one liners, but he didn't garble it up that I noticed. It looks like a poorly written speech that he's reading off the teleprompter to me.

Seems like warhawking, fearmongering by the media considering the US has not "directly" engaged Russian forces yet. I'm inclined to believe the comms team on this sort of. They would not signal military escalation in this way, but also I'm sure they want Putin to be replaced.

Vestal

Actively walk it back, or just omit it from their talking points?

Appears they are sort of dancing around the quote atm. Trying to signal it’s not regime change.

I agree 100% with Biden on this. While regime change is not what we want, Putin cannot remain in power if Russia wants to normalize relations with the West after this mess is done with.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Uncle Joe can speak his mind and the administration can walk it back as a gaffe while preserving the original effect. He has a history of leveraging this, e.g. speaking out in favor of gay marriage when the Obama admin was officially against it.

Uncle Joe can speak his mind and the administration can walk it back as a gaffe while preserving the original effect. He has a history of leveraging this, e.g. speaking out in favor of gay marriage when the Obama admin was officially against it.
He’s the President this time. And he’s talking about a potential conflict with a nuclear power. Not exactly the same as him stumbling over himself about domestic policy while Vice President. It’s a bad look when his caretakers have to clean up after him every day. I thought we elected this guy to get away from that kind of embarrassment.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
He’s the President this time. And he’s talking about a potential conflict with a nuclear power. Not exactly the same as him stumbling over himself about domestic policy while Vice President. It’s a bad look when his caretakers have to clean up after him every day. I thought we elected this guy to get away from that kind of embarrassment.
Sure, there are associated concerns. I’m fully in favor of being intelligent when it comes to MAD. This isn’t going to trigger a nuclear strike though.

Sure, there are associated concerns. I’m fully in favor of being intelligent when it comes to MAD. This isn’t going to trigger a nuclear strike though.
That’s true. It just raises concerns. We need this to be tight both in terms of rhetoric and action. Yesterday they had to walk back him roundabout telling troops they were going to Ukraine.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Was having this same conversation with my wife. She framed it as "task failed successfully"... Which is pretty much Biden's whole career - and I don't think it's an accident. Leading up to this war, and his approach, proves he's clearly aware of what's going on and intelligent enough to make the right steps.

Don't think it's an accidental slip up honestly - just like he called Putin a war criminal before everyone else in an offhand comment. Knows how to play the media, and get ahead of his own peers.

Shame no one likes him - probably the most effective foreign policy president since Reagan (who I don't like on domestic policy reason).

Love him or hate him Biden is the first president who is taking Russia threat seriously. Appeasement with Russia CLEARLY doesn't work. This has been tried since 1991 and reinforced in 2008 and 2014. Appeasement only makes Russia stronger. If the world does it again the next step will be something even more horrific. Russia only understands strength.

MrMephistoX

That’s true. It just raises concerns. We need this to be tight both in terms of rhetoric and action. Yesterday they had to walk back him roundabout telling troops they were going to Ukraine.

Shit this image really puts in perspective A. I’m getting old and B. Our soldiers really are just kids. C. They are taking direct orders from people my age D. middle or near middle aged commanders are taking orders from a senior citizen.
DOhUKPa.jpg

Last edited:

Mistake

Makes sense, but it didn’t stop me from nearly falling out of my chair when he talked about the negro leagues on live tv

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
He said what he intended to say. The White House walked it back but the message is clear and it was intended for those in Russia with the capacity to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom