• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Gold Member
Putin, while egotistical, is calculating. He won’t step foot in a NATO country. He likes not being dead, just like the rest of us.

In saying that, he wants the old USSR states back. Ukraine was prime for the taking- not yet a NATO member and without nukes with a smaller military.

Jsisto

Undoubtedly Russia would win in a relentless assault, but im imaging a scenario where Russia pulls out, claims the “peacekeeping mission“ was a success, gets to save face and still appear strong, and would probably maintain all the power at the negotiating table.

CGiRanger

Banned
Putin, while egotistical, is calculating. He won’t step foot in a NATO country. He likes not being dead, just like the rest of us.

In saying that, he wants the old USSR states back. Ukraine was prime for the taking- not yet a NATO member and without nukes with a smaller military.
One way for him to triumph is to get Zelinsky and his govt to surrender and agree to the terms of no NATO and such. Then if he's really smart he offers up compensation and restitution to Ukraine as well, making him look "not so bad".

Undoubtedly Russia would win in a relentless assault, but im imaging a scenario where Russia pulls out, claims the “peacekeeping mission“ was a success, gets to save face and still appear strong, and would probably maintain all the power at the negotiating table.
Quite so.

Last edited:
Legends are vividly remembered and embellished. They will be quickly forgotten. I can only assume the Russian forces hoped the Ukrainian forces had some sense at the start of the conflict. Now remediation will be difficult.

asustitan

Banned
So Russia didn't go into Crimea in 2014? Alright...

Do you know the elected government was overthrown in 2014 and immediately put restrictions on the Russian language affecting a big portion of the people who identify as Russian.
Not to mention them having neo nazi links.

Russia will not allow Ukraine to be part of NATO. It is an unacceptable truth for big power politics, the same as U.S not wanting Russian missiles on Cuba.

Last edited:
Legends are vividly remembered and embellished. They will be quickly forgotten. I can only assume the Russian forces hoped the Ukrainian forces had some sense at the start of the conflict. Now remediation will be difficult.
I'd imagine they were given the chance to surrender. This war is very different from any other wars as it's basically cousin fighting a cousin.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you know the elected government was overthrown in 2014 and immediately put restrictions on the Russian language affecting a big portion of the people who identify as Russian.
Not to mention them having neo nazi links.

Russia will not allow Ukraine to be part of NATO. It is an unacceptable truth for big power politics, the same as U.S not wanting Russian missiles on Cuba.

Ok, so you've completely bought into Putin's propaganda. Scary that we have people like you on here.

asustitan

Banned
Ok, so you've completely bought into Putin's propaganda. Scary that we have people like you on here.

Can you tell me if any of that is incorrect? Or do you only look back at things that happen within the last year?

In December, Putin presented the US and NATO with a list of security demands. Chief among them was a guarantee that Ukraine will never enter NATO and that the alliance rolls back its military footprint in Eastern and Central Europe -- proposals that the US and its allies have repeatedly said are non-starters.

The wests full on stupidly not rejecting Ukraine into nato has made it come to this.

Last edited:
I'd imagine they were given the chance to surrender. This war is very different from any other wars as it's basically cousin fighting a cousin.
It is more complicated. Stalin flooded the western territories with other nationalities to act as a meat shield in WW2. But a large portion of the population is ethnically the same. The Soviet appointed leaders and Stalin himself have committed great atrocities in the region.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you tell me if any of that is incorrect? Or do you only look back only things that happen in the last year?

In December, Putin presented the US and NATO with a list of security demands. Chief among them was a guarantee that Ukraine will never enter NATO and that the alliance rolls back its military footprint in Eastern and Central Europe -- proposals that the US and its allies have repeatedly said are non-starters.

The wests full on stupidly not rejecting Ukraine into nato has made it come to this.

So the west should just roll over and accept whatever Putin demands, letting Russia decide the defensive politics of other sovereign nations? That's obviously not an option. Give a finger...

dotnotbot

Can you tell me if any of that is incorrect? Or do you only look back at things that happen within the last year?

Second demand was out of question anyway.

asustitan

Banned
So the west should just roll over and accept whatever Putin demands, letting Russia decide the defensive politics of other sovereign nations? That's obviously not an option. Give a finger...

Well yes when you are talking super powers, you don't have the opposition nextdoor !! Look up the Cold War.

That seems like heavy losses for Russia no?

Depends on what Russia is using.

Russia has a massive stockpile of old cold war era tanks with minimal protection against modern anti-tank weapons.

The BMP infantry vehicles will suffer heavy loses no matter how well Russia does. They offer little protection even against small arms fire. I'd rather walk.

Sega Orphan

Banned
There is always two sides of the coin. There are right wing ties to the Ukrainian government. Even Vice did a piece of the right wing fascists and their influence on the Government. Basically the nationalist right wing nazis were the ones who volunteered to fight the separatists in Dombass and got alot of power from that. The Azoz battalion or something like that.
The reality is that there was a pro Russian government in Ukraine that was democratically voted in that was taken out and a pro NATO government installed. Now if you don't think the West had anything to do with it you don't understand how politics work.
Now does that vindicate Russia invading Ukraine? Not in my eyes.

Of interest was that about a week or so ago There was a US black hawk helicopter that did an emergency medilift from the Ukraine/Russian border in the East of the country that flew to a NATO hospital in Europe.
Now the only reason that this would happen is if a US asset was injured. They wouldn't do that for a Ukrainian soldier. In all likelihood it was a CIA person who was hurt. Now what would they be doing in Ukraine around the disputed border with Russia? Gods work I am sure.

asustitan

Banned
There is always two sides of the coin. There are right wing ties to the Ukrainian government. Even Vice did a piece of the right wing fascists and their influence on the Government. Basically the nationalist right wing nazis were the ones who volunteered to fight the separatists in Dombass and got alot of power from that. The Azoz battalion or something like that.
The reality is that there was a pro Russian government in Ukraine that was democratically voted in that was taken out and a pro NATO government installed. Now if you don't think the West had anything to do with it you don't understand how politics work.
Now does that vindicate Russia invading Ukraine? Not in my eyes.

Of interest was that about a week or so ago There was a US black hawk helicopter that did an emergency medilift from the Ukraine/Russian border in the East of the country that flew to a NATO hospital in Europe.
Now the only reason that this would happen is if a US asset was injured. They wouldn't do that for a Ukrainian soldier. In all likelihood it was a CIA person who was hurt. Now what would they be doing in Ukraine around the disputed border with Russia? Gods work I am sure.

I know I'm in a super minority but I guarantee 99% of people don't have a clue what happened in 2014.
They also don't know why it would be unacceptable to have a nato state nextdoor !!

The media also don't give any backlog to this also or the possible reasons what drove Putin to it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
I know I'm in a super minority but I guarantee 99% of people don't have a clue what happened in 2014.
They also don't know why it would be unacceptable to have a nato state nextdoor !!

The media also don't give any backlog to this also or the possible reasons what drove Putin to it.
Enlighten us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom