• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionian

An awful story, probably posted before. And I mean this to be light-hearted.

Hooked up with a Polish lass, she liked Enimem.

So I played this and substituted "Criminal" with I'm in "Crimea" .

No sex for ages.

I laughed, she was very very unhappy. Awful story as I said.

Ionian

Should have asked Musk to built a Cybertank. Fuck shit up while saving the planet

I can just imagine his plan, he'll spend years building a mile of underground shit for it to transport it. It will break down and techs won't be able to access it.

Techs: Mr Musk the war is over, our automative tank has died. Can't recharge underground.
Musk: Doesn't matter, we have solar energy!
Techs: But the sun ... ah fuck this shit I quit.
Musk: I'm the richest person ever to never complete anything!

Same goes for Zuckerberg.

Rich but a pure pyramid scheme. Watch their stocks fall.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

dave chappelle where is ja GIF

Hari Seldon

Looks like Ukraine repulsed Russia at Sumy.
It doesn’t seem like Russia’s offensive is going so well, however to their credit that haven’t been going full Red Army yet.

Vaelka

As a Swede I am not too worried about Russia, but it did kinda make me want to just join NATO and get it the hell over with already.
Russia does a lot of weirdly aggressive stuff and breaks into our territory at random, the Ukraine invasion kinda makes it a bit more concerning like at some point you've gotta put your foot down.
Same thing with Finland who shares a border with Russia.

I feel terrible for Ukranians.

Actual fucking balls of steel holy shit.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

As a Swede I am not too worried about Russia, but it did kinda make me want to just join NATO and get it the hell over with already.
Russia does a lot of weirdly aggressive stuff and breaks into our territory at random, the Ukraine invasion kinda makes it a bit more concerning like at some point you've gotta put your foot down.

Yea you have a big landmine between you and Russia.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm also a Swede, and I'm getting a bit worried. Not for the immediate future, but I feel like there's no telling what Putin might do after this invasion is wrapped up. There's not much between us and Russia, just Finland, and neither of us are NATO members (we should be IMO, there's an obvious right side to join here), so just like with Ukraine the rest of the world would just condemn any invasion of our countries but not actually intervene. We would be utterly fucked if he wanted to go for us. Like when you're playing Risk and you just pick off a whole series of single infantry countries.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Russia is just getting started people see the headlines but it’s the language, the impact on the people, mindset, it’s turning a corner for Russia collectively don’t over complicate it they’re making taking over a country in 2022 happen.

Russian GIF

Ionian

LOL, good luck with that. There is a filthy secret why the country is rich.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Reports that a whole Russian platoon has surrendered to the Ukrainians because they didn't know they were being sent to actually kill Ukrainians (maybe they bought the whole "peacekeeping" thing). Hopefully more let their humanity decide their actions.

Ironbunny

"Russian forces took control over the site after a fierce battle with Ukrainian national guards protecting the decommissioned plant, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak told The Associated Press. The condition of the plant’s facilities, a confinement shelter and a repository for nuclear waste is unknown, he said.

An official familiar with current assessments said Russian shelling hit a radioactive waste repository at Chernobyl, and an increase in radiation levels was reported. The increase could not be immediately corroborated."

Catphish

"Russian forces took control over the site after a fierce battle with Ukrainian national guards protecting the decommissioned plant, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak told The Associated Press. The condition of the plant’s facilities, a confinement shelter and a repository for nuclear waste is unknown, he said.

An official familiar with current assessments said Russian shelling hit a radioactive waste repository at Chernobyl, and an increase in radiation levels was reported. The increase could not be immediately corroborated."

what a bunch of fucking idiots. This could drastically alter the complexion of this conflict.

If this becomes a global health threat, and Russia is unable/unwilling to contain it, what then?

Absolute fucking madness. :(

Ok, so you've completely bought into Putin's propaganda. Scary that we have people like you on here.
So, let me check this again: people debating the possible causes of annexation besides "Putin daddy wants USSR back", and they're the ones falling for propaganda?

Instead of having a meaningful conversation, debating the possible causes, and becoming more informed about a situation, people like you keep denying a possible intelligent discussion with "you a Russian bot". Always spouting a propaganda piece from the west to make people hate Russia for their "communist" aspirations. Once again, do you really think Putin just decided to invade Ukraine because he felt like it? Risk Russia's economy? He woke up feeling like eating sanctions for breakfast? There are other fucking countries before Ukraine that he could have already taken to fulfil his USSR dream. Things don't add up.

And all this situation shows how fucking ridiculous the west rhetoric is when it comes to recognising independence - Donekst and Luhansk independence? No no, we need to respect Ukraine's border. HK? No no, China needs to let HK be independent. Don't you guys see the fucking bias here? Russia and China have propaganda, US has news. Come on...

Putin is a piece of shit for doing this, and I hope he suffers and I want nothing more than Ukraine to get out of this war that they clearly can't fight, but god damn you guys thinking the world is black and white. It's because of this lack of understanding that conflicts keep happening, because you are forced to take a side. Understanding and debating is not a thing you do.

Batiman

Banned
All the maintenance workers at my workplace are Russian and seem to love Putin….. one of them has a Putin shirt too.
They always say the country supports him and disregard any criticism of him by saying it’s all western lies blah blah. It was all just little jokes with each other, but after today I don’t want to see this fucker rockin that shirt anymore.

What percentage of Russia actually supports Putin? I never can get a truthful idea.

Batiman

Banned
Reports that a whole Russian platoon has surrendered to the Ukrainians because they didn't know they were being sent to actually kill Ukrainians (maybe they bought the whole "peacekeeping" thing). Hopefully more let their humanity decide their actions.
Ya this day and age I find it hard to believe most of the civilized world is easily willing to kill there neighbours on their own land. At least face to face on ground. I hope I’m right…

Amiga

"Breaking: Ukraine’s President has ordered a General Military Mobilization, calling up conscripts and reservists and banning all males aged 18-60 from leaving the country."

How do they define "male" in Ukraine? and why aren't women conscripted?

Sakura

Why are the causalities so low?
Have the Russians not sent that many troops in yet?
For all the talk I hear of intense fighting across the country and counterattacks, retaking locations etc, 137 combined civ and military deaths seems really low.

Hari Seldon

For all the talk I hear of intense fighting across the country and counterattacks, retaking locations etc, 137 combined civ and military deaths seems really low.
Yeah this is really strange. Like the Russian infantry refuses to actually advance if they encounter any resistance.

Ironbunny

All the maintenance workers at my workplace are Russian and seem to love Putin….. one of them has a Putin shirt too.
They always say the country supports him and disregard any criticism of him by saying it’s all western lies blah blah. It was all just little jokes with each other, but after today I don’t want to see this fucker rockin that shirt anymore.

What percentage of Russia actually supports Putin? I never can get a truthful idea.

He has helped Russia to grow and many believe he will do that in the future too. Many like him and many do see what he has become. Resentment towards them wont solve anything but strengthens their believe of ill willing west. Best case for this war would be the unpopularity of it inside Russia.

Long range attacks.

Sega Orphan

Banned
I know I'm in a super minority but I guarantee 99% of people don't have a clue what happened in 2014.
They also don't know why it would be unacceptable to have a nato state nextdoor !!

The media also don't give any backlog to this also or the possible reasons what drove Putin to it.
Russia absolutely did the wrong thing attacking Ukraine. I think it only weakens their position now.
However, these things don't happen in vacuums.
When the Warsaw pact was broken down the West gave promises to Russia that they would not bring ex Soviet states into NATO as it was viewed by everyone as an act of aggression and went against the ideals of de-esculation and demilitarisation of the European continent. The threat of nuclear war was to be averted at all costs and Russia was a partner in that, and not a adversary.
Fast forward and NATO gave membership to Poland, Hungary, Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania etc, against their promises to Russia.
Russia did nothing.
NATO openly talked about encircling Russia by bringing in these ex soviet states to isolate Russia. Russian read these white papers.
Fast forward to 2014. The leader of Ukraine was a pro Russian guy who wanted to grow stronger ties with Russia like Belarus has done. The West fermented a coup against that Government and overthrew it and it was replaced with a pro EU government. Russia said fuck that and took over Crimea and the Eastern parts of Ukraine that was majority Russan speaking wanted to break away from the pro West part of Ukraine, and this was in the Dombass region.
Now we end up at a point where Ukraine was asking for membership to NATO, to which Russia said that was unacceptable. NATO and the West said that they didn't intend to bring Ukraine into NATO, but they had said the same thing about Poland etc and went against that. So during these talks Russia asked NATO to agree in writing that they would not give membership to Ukraine, to which they said they wouldn't give that assurance. So, now we have what we have.

So what's the issue with Ukraine in NATO? Well, it puts an admitted adversary of Russia right on their border. It brings nuclear weapons right on their border. Many people don't know that membership in NATO includes "nuclear sharing", where nukes can be put in any NATO country. For instance, there is over 100 US owned nukes in NATO countries pointed at Russia.
Now if the roles were reversed, the West would absolutely have an issue with it. In fact it has happened before. Back in 1962, Russia started building missile bases in Cuba, which would be pointed at the US. JFK was president at time and he went full tilt at Russia and Cuba including naval blockades and threats of retaliation against both Cuba and Russia. It's considered the closest the West and Russia came to nuclear war.
So it's not unfair for Russia to have an issue with NATO enlargement and especially the possible inclusion of Ukraine.
The West and NATO could have avoided this if they agreed they would not bring Ukraine into NATO. They called Putins bluff on it, and they got it wrong.
Does this excuse the invasion of Ukraine? No, not in my eyes. Sure Russia has a considerable issue, but their actions put them in a weakened position I think. I might be wrong and maybe Russia gets what it wants at the end of it. But to me life is sacred, and lives will be lost, and people will suffer. This should be avoided.

Ionian

tried to cap the image as it was hilarious.

TheSun talking about a washing machine? They're a rag but this is a real low for them.

Nice reporting there. (For anyone outside of reading Murdochs papers, they aren't trusted at all. Their game is to report ex-celebrities dancing on Ice for years). What's Kerry Katona doing now? wow her nose is fucked. Ok lemme check Katie price, ah shit she had more surgery, a new husband and child. Murdoch pays her mortgage.

Has nothing to do with Russia obviously, just looked at the site and was front page news this morning,

So, let me check this again: people debating the possible causes of annexation besides "Putin daddy wants USSR back", and they're the ones falling for propaganda?

Instead of having a meaningful conversation, debating the possible causes, and becoming more informed about a situation, people like you keep denying a possible intelligent discussion with "you a Russian bot". Always spouting a propaganda piece from the west to make people hate Russia for their "communist" aspirations. Once again, do you really think Putin just decided to invade Ukraine because he felt like it? Risk Russia's economy? He woke up feeling like eating sanctions for breakfast? There are other fucking countries before Ukraine that he could have already taken to fulfil his USSR dream. Things don't add up.

And all this situation shows how fucking ridiculous the west rhetoric is when it comes to recognising independence - Donekst and Luhansk independence? No no, we need to respect Ukraine's border. HK? No no, China needs to let HK be independent. Don't you guys see the fucking bias here? Russia and China have propaganda, US has news. Come on...

Putin is a piece of shit for doing this, and I hope he suffers and I want nothing more than Ukraine to get out of this war that they clearly can't fight, but god damn you guys thinking the world is black and white. It's because of this lack of understanding that conflicts keep happening, because you are forced to take a side. Understanding and debating is not a thing you do.
Agreed.

Look up Nato expansions after the 90's and you will see that Russia is surrounded by enemies allied with one another around its borders.

With exception of Belarus, Ukraine, and Moldovia on its east side, they're basically screwed if NATO expands more.

Demilitarized Ukraine means Russia has one the second mass in European continent as a buffer between them and NATO allies.

It's basically that Russia needs to feel secure in its own borders, and the only way it can feel secure is by not having countries around its borders not being allied to powers who would most definitely would like to bring Russia down in the long run.

Honestly, what Russia is doing makes sense.

Its just that realistically, this is fucked up because human lives are at stake.

But if we put in our heads the mind of a world leader, this would be an option on our table for many of us.

It's just whether we decide to be the one to make this kind of choice is where the pool of remaining participants becomes much smaller.

I'm all against the war, but I myself question what I would do if placed into his shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom