• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rybar was one of the milbloggers reportedly being investigated for not being patriotic enough I believe? Copying a RuMOD press release with "X Ukro Tanks Destroyed, Y GMRLS Intercepted, Z Troops Eliminated" will help him stay out of the gulag.

TwinB242

Rybar was one of the milbloggers reportedly being investigated for not being patriotic enough I believe? Copying a RuMOD press release with "X Ukro Tanks Destroyed, Y GMRLS Intercepted, Z Troops Eliminated" will help him stay out of the gulag.

Im starting to think this might be the case. If they really destroyed that many tanks there would be plenty of photo/video evidence by now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Wow

Maybe just maybe I would have waited, but incredible speedy recovery for some of these buildings.

And helps when you the country who has been building literally everything in the EU. The construction companies here are in shambles due to the war. My father retired and sold his company, after more than half of his workers head home.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ukraine has gone dark, all that's trickling down from their side is that they've held positions on the bakhmut front... only the russian telegram channels are left.

So no news from the front for a while we'll have to feast on memes and russian failgifs.

You can check FIRMS satellite data, but distinguishing what's the result of war and what is natural is tough.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Some older ruZZian logistic video...

Holy shit, truly the brainlet of the army world

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

akimbo009

Gold Member
Ukraine has gone dark, all that's trickling down from their side is that they've held positions on the bakhmut front... only the russian telegram channels are left.

So no news from the front for a while we'll have to feast on memes and russian failgifs.

You can check FIRMS satellite data, but distinguishing what's the result of war and what is natural is tough.

Silence means they are on the move... :) And we are getting some high quality in region footage of the soliders clearing out spaces versus artillery... Feels like targeted incursions but looking successful. Even got some retreating footage :)

Iran sending Fateh-110 is very bad news. This is the bad guy HIMARS esque weapon.

2018 version has range from 300-500KM. And accurate upto is 6m while carrying a 500Kg load.

The US have no excuse for ATACM now. And time for Patriot training to commence.

Although I’m surprised how far behind the west is in anti drone tech.

Russia will be sending swarms of Drones to overwhelm AA before sending in the Iranian SRBM’s to cause max damage to civilian infrastructure.

The shitty thing is if they launch them from Belarus then all western weapon logistics is in trouble.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Iran sending Fateh-110 is very bad news. This is the bad guy HIMARS esque weapon.

2018 version has range from 300-500KM. And accurate upto is 6m while carrying a 500Kg load.

The US have no excuse for ATACM now. And time for Patriot training to commence.

Although I’m surprised how far behind the west is in anti drone tech.

Russia will be sending swarms of Drones to overwhelm AA before sending in the Iranian SRBM’s to cause max damage to civilian infrastructure.

The shitty thing is if they launch them from Belarus then all western weapon logistics is in trouble.

Im really not sure how Iran of all countries managed to have such sophisticated weapon systems. But im hoping Ukraine is aware of this potential strategy and is already working on countering it.

I wonder if NASAMs and IRIS-Ts would be effective at taking down SRBMs. But even if they're capable of it I think Ukraine would still need a greater quantity of both to be able to build a good Air Defense network.

Last edited:

Lasha

Im really not sure how Iran of all countries managed to have such sophisticated weapon systems. But im hoping Ukraine is aware of this potential strategy and is already working on countering it.

I wonder if NASAMs and IRIS-Ts would be effective at taking down SRBMs. But even if they're capable of it I think Ukraine would still need a greater quantity of both to be able to build a good Air Defense network.

Iran has been a cradle for Innovation throughout history. Iran without the revolution would probably be one of the most advanced societies on the planet. Modern Iran can't trade much due to sanctions so it focuses most resources on military applications.

NASAMS don’t work on ballistics only cruise missiles and Drones although not cost effective for the latter. Not sure about Iris-T though. Need Patriots for Ballistics but that’s not even in the cards yet.

But even Patriots aren’t proven to be effective either which is why I’m guessing the US is hesitant with them.

Last edited:

This is going to be very common going forward unfortunately. Not enough AA to cover all of Ukraine even in Western reserves.

Last edited:

This is going to be very common going forward unfortunately. Not enough AA to cover all of Ukraine even in Western reserves.

It’s crazy how underpowered NATO is without the US. You’d think they’d atleast be able to fight a defensive war if US was preoccupied. But they don’t even have enough AA to defend their own countries

Odinnii

The US has nothing to gain from blowing up a gas pipe half a world apart from them and possibly being caught doing so. I's also not easy to do without deploying forces into the Baltic Sea.

Also notice that there were multiple breaches along the pipe and the pipe has an internal maintenance mechanism/robot that travels the distance. Some say it's actually likely that this was an unmanned russian operation. Which is a best case scenario if you want to reduce the possibility of getting caught doing it.

Also, Gasprom paid for half of it, the rest was paid by the countries using it, the Russian government technically spent 0 money on it. Knowing Russia they'll argue it wasn't blown up by them and hence they/gasprom won't pay to fix it, or will only pay half.

And they didn't blew up the pipepine, they made some holes on it.
What do you mean US has nothing to gain? US has been begging EU to buy their gas for years, and they were basically strong armed into doing it due to this war and their sanctions.

US isn't just selling the gas, they are gouging the fuck outta the europeans for it, not to mention the increasing exodus of companies from the EU to the US due to production costs.

On the other hand, whats the benefit to Russia in any of this? They already said they were still willing to sell gas to germany through the undamaged pipeline, so why would they bother blowing it up to begin with?

Also germany says the explosive device used was equivalent to 500KG's of TNT, now IDK much about weapons, but that sounds like a big ass explosion to me.

Meicyn

Gold Member
But even Patriots aren’t proven to be effective either which is why I’m guessing the US is hesitant with them.
Depends on what you fire them at. PAC-3 Patriot missiles are an anti-ballistic platform. If the inbound is a cruise missile or low altitude drones, the effectiveness is severely reduced. Like the cruise missile attacks from the other week fired by Russia, Patriots wouldn’t have helped.

What do you mean US has nothing to gain? US has been begging EU to buy their gas for years, and they were basically strong armed into doing it due to this war and their sanctions.

US isn't just selling the gas, they are gouging the fuck outta the europeans for it, not to mention the increasing exodus of companies from the EU to the US due to production costs.

On the other hand, whats the benefit to Russia in any of this? They already said they were still willing to sell gas to germany through the undamaged pipeline, so why would they bother blowing it up to begin with?

Also germany says the explosive device used was equivalent to 500KG's of TNT, now IDK much about weapons, but that sounds like a big ass explosion to me.

It is nice of the Americans to leave a single pipe from the nord stream 2 undamaged

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member

They aren't as overwhelming as indoassassin is hyping them. They are basically a buzz bomb with loitering capabilities. They are very loud, and can be shot down with stingers, etc. But if you throw enough of them at your target they can easily overwhelm... If Iran is that committed here than yeah, it could be a problem... But my guess is it's not true, since they still are slinging them at civilians. If they actually had a significant amount, they'd be used in high risk targets but successfully disrupting the actual battle lines. They aren't, it's all for media and show.

Iran has been a cradle for Innovation throughout history. Iran without the revolution would probably be one of the most advanced societies on the planet. Modern Iran can't trade much due to sanctions so it focuses most resources on military applications.

Settle down. There is no way they were on any significant trajectory even with the Shah, and tend to recall Iran being subjects of Mongols for hundreds of years. Doesn't really matter, their tech isn't that good, and really underwhelming compared to Israel, NATO, Japan, etc.

Lasha

They aren't as overwhelming as indoassassin is hyping them. They are basically a buzz bomb with loitering capabilities. They are very loud, and can be shot down with stingers, etc. But if you throw enough of them at your target they can easily overwhelm... If Iran is that committed here than yeah, it could be a problem... But my guess is it's not true, since they still are slinging them at civilians. If they actually had a significant amount, they'd be used in high risk targets but successfully disrupting the actual battle lines. They aren't, it's all for media and show.

Settle down. There is no way they were on any significant trajectory even with the Shah, and tend to recall Iran being subjects of Mongols for hundreds of years. Doesn't really matter, their tech isn't that good, and really underwhelming compared to Israel, NATO, Japan, etc.

Mongols ruled China for a few hundred years too. It didn't stop Taiwan from becoming one of the most advanced semiconductor producers on the planet. Iran has been innovating since antiquity. It's current level of technology far surpasses what would be expected of a religious dictatorship under heavy sanctions because of that legacy. Sanctions keep Iran's technology hobbled but it's equipment is good enough to be compared to other powers which says a lot about the strength of its industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom