• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russia risks becoming ungovernable and descending into chaos​

renderTimingPixel.png

archive.ph/t5Mz4

Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

nemiroff

Gold Member
UK Ministry of Defence report

Since September, Russia has likely launched hundreds of Iranian-manufactured uncrewed aerial
vehicles (UAVs) against Ukraine. These have been a mixture of one-way attack (OWA) UAVs and
more traditional reusable armed systems.

Russia has largely used these weapons against tactical military targets and the Ukrainian electricity
grid. However, recently Russian commanders likely also wanted Iranian-sourced UAVs to prioritise
medical facilities as targets of opportunity, and strike them with guided munitions
if identified.

Russia likely conceived of the UAV campaign to make up for its severe shortage of cruise missiles,
but the approach has had limited success. Most UAVs launched have been neutralised.

No OWA UAVs strikes have been publicly reported since around 17 November 2022. Russia has
likely very nearly exhausted its current stock, but will probably seek resupply. Russia can probably
procure UAVs from overseas more rapidly than it can manufacture new cruise missiles domestically.

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Kyiv. Three people were killed and six were injured as a result of hitting a two-story building in the capital

It is reported by the Kyiv city military administration

The South Ukrainian NPP was shut down due to a voltage drop in the network due to the absence of consumers. And there are no consumers due to damaged highways.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Figured I'd put this here

Recently moved out of my rented apartment and the letting agency thought it was a good idea to let the people walk around it while I was at home and they stayed outside the building lol

To my surprise one guy was from Ukraine :eek: said they got here a few weeks ago and were look for housing for his wife and daughter but it was a one bedroom flat! (With some issues) so I was honest with the guy that the place wasn't worth it (especially for that size a family)

He seemed like a genuinely nice guy and was asking me about the town and if I knew an area were he'd be welcomed to live. In the end he asked for my number in case he has other questions and I gave it to him.

Such a shit thing to happen to a family fuck you Putin.

I am glad it was the right recognizing, amazing they keep going with their shit. Ruzzia deserves everything that comes their way. Fuck them and Putler. (exception those against the war, but for real)

chromhound

Gold Member
Are we sure these are real companies just hiding and cheating the sanctions?
Or mcdonalds last ketchup packets are being taken from storage?

If it's the first... these companies should be in trouble and it's pathetic
Both. Real companies are selling product to middleman (Probably China) who then sells the product under a different name. But it's basically the same
They're getting rid of McDonald's old stocks

sinnergy

Gp1

Chinese weapon systems were copied from Russian arms, then improved somewhat.
Military analysts say that China has already surpassed Russia in almost every field, especially regarding electronics for military equipment. The only standout are Russian jet engines, as this is very hard to copy.
But it's probably just a matter of time until China also manages to surpass Russia in that regard.

Not anymore

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ighter-is-now-powered-by-locally-made-engines

China has already even surpassed the West in some key areas.

Last edited:

Eh... same was said about russia and china's army is not battletested.
To be fair, I worked in telecoms and the kit we bought from china has still not been bettered by the west for 10 years and likely never will be (partly because we were moving to fibre we didnt invest, but their chips and algorithms were top notch). IMO human resource aside, they are technologically at least our equals.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
To be fair, I worked in telecoms and the kit we bought from china has still not been bettered by the west for 10 years and likely never will be (partly because we were moving to fibre we didnt invest, but their chips and algorithms were top notch). IMO human resource aside, they are technologically at least our equals.

They aren't better in telecom... You mean Huawai? They literally stole Cisco's tech and once they got embargoes they immediately failed.

China isn't anywhere near the west or the US on a wide range of things, and certainly not militarily. They are definitely a near-peer to be considered, but they aren't surpassing.

Especially chips which you imply... Which, yeah, no.

They aren't better in telecom... You mean Huawai? They literally stole Cisco's tech and once they got embargoes they immediately failed.

China isn't anywhere near the west or the US on a wide range of things, and certainly not militarily. They are definitely a near-peer to be considered, but they aren't surpassing.

Especially chips which you imply... Which, yeah, no.
I cant speak for military by any means. But yes I refer to Huawai NTE modems and vdsl cabinets that are way ahead of the west. Use of vectoring and general features and compatibility made them the choice provider for the UK until recent security issues led to a ban on new kit. The providence of their tech may well be questionable (again I am not educated on this), but their application and ability to scale and control cost is many years ahead of our own / Israeli manufacture (I mention as ECI is the next best I ever came across).

I dont believe this is an inherent superiority, but several factors from r&d to manufacture give them an edge in this market. I would wager they have put similar or superior resource into other areas of tech.

But this is stuff I know about. USA military is probably many leagues ahead of anything they admit to having. But my point is we should not think of China - a booming civilisation - in the same league as Russia which has been failing in everyway for 40 years.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Not anymore

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ighter-is-now-powered-by-locally-made-engines

China has already even surpassed the West in some key areas.
The same China that had its domestic fighter engines melt because they didn't have the required metallurgical knowledge?

Not to underestimate them, but there's good reason to doubt these are anything special.

Just like that railgun they've fitted to a ship. No one has seen it actually fire. The US (and UK - I've actually heard a railgun fire) have railguns too. They just don't fit them to active vehicles when they are still experimental.

Tams

Gold Member
I cant speak for military by any means. But yes I refer to Huawai NTE modems and vdsl cabinets that are way ahead of the west. Use of vectoring and general features and compatibility made them the choice provider for the UK until recent security issues led to a ban on new kit. The providence of their tech may well be questionable (again I am not educated on this), but their application and ability to scale and control cost is many years ahead of our own / Israeli manufacture (I mention as ECI is the next best I ever came across).

I dont believe this is an inherent superiority, but several factors from r&d to manufacture give them an edge in this market. I would wager they have put similar or superior resource into other areas of tech.

But this is stuff I know about. USA military is probably many leagues ahead of anything they admit to having. But my point is we should not think of China - a booming civilisation - in the same league as Russia which has been failing in everyway for 40 years.

All of it comes down to money.

Huawei offered cheaper prices. They also didn't care about stealing or using unlicensed IP when it suited them, which wpuld allow for better compatibility.

And then, of course, there was some greed from the other players like Nokia and Siemens. They'd charge higher prices for more features and compatibility, or try and tie you into their products.

Not that their greed was anything special. Huawei were just as greedy, they just went about it a different way. With a big dollop of CCP espionage.

Now as for China's military prowess? They are completely untested. It's unknown how many personnel they could field and for how long. And it's not known how they'd deal with keeping civilians content during a war, as they are by no means self-sufficient in food production (and even now in peace struggle to feed their population adequately).

If being shut in and, alledgedly, put into dormitaries with people who might have COVID is enough to provoke big riots, then a lack of food sure is. And it's not like the ethnic groups in China have completely given up hope. There are even still Cantonese separatists on the mainland.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Another really bad aspect of these infrastructure strikes is just the effects that they're having on Ukraine's economy. I remember reading about how their IT/tech industry was withstanding the war and in some ways was even more profitable than before it. But those businesses just can't operate effectively if the power keeps going out.

sinnergy

Also:

Russia's final warning: Kazakhstan is next. We need to denazify and liberate this country to save Russian population.​

Laugh Laughing GIF

What are they thinking??? Nothing because any reasonable thought sailed a long time ago...

Being a Ruzzian neighbor has become a problem.

Hitler thought the same .. it’s turning into scary shit.

sinnergy

Also:

Russia's final warning: Kazakhstan is next. We need to denazify and liberate this country to save Russian population.​

Laugh Laughing GIF

What are they thinking??? Nothing because any reasonable thought sailed a long time ago...

Being a Ruzzian neighbor has become a problem.

Hitler also saw all these problems .. just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom