• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people here and the West experts keep underestimating Russia’s resolve.

We are blinded by our own intolerance of too much death that we can’t fathom the extreme’s other countries are willing and able to endure.
I think you are mistaken being dumb as shit for resolve.

The Russians swallow every bit of propaganda without any critical thought and if fuhrer Putin says we must destroy Ukrainians, they'll just say yes out of cowardice or being incredibly dumb/drunk. That's not resolve.

Or maybe you meant Putin and his cronies' resolve to get every Russian killed / poor as rocks just to not admit he lost?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Rallying death cultists.
Against the advances of science and evidence it's the old orthodox superstitious Christian world view that will be in ashes as the world moves on. Clinging to falsehood is to worship Satan metaphorically.

Aren't you in some weird cult or mystical religion too tho or was that someone else.

(Not that I disagree with what you are saying in this thread mind you, it's just... yeah.)

RAÏSanÏa

Aren't you in some weird cult or mystical religion too tho or was that someone else.

(Not that I disagree with what you are saying in this thread mind you, it's just... yeah.)
No, I'm not in any cult or religion.
Trying to figure out how that applies to the discussion when that could have been a pm. What is your motivation?

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Sorry I remembered something like that from the long closed religion thread. I got reminded of it with that weird statement about metaphysically worshipping satan and my post was a reaction to that, so why should it be a PM? Everybody has the right to know, no? But must have been someone else.

Edit: It was Thelemism, why lie about it?

3v0ujWz.png

I just like to be able to put responses in context.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Sorry I remembered something like that from the long closed religion thread. I got reminded of it with that weird statement about metaphysically worshipping satan and my post was a reaction to that, so why should it be a PM? Everybody has the right to know, no? But must have been someone else.
It's not an issue to talk about for me personally, it's that the subject could derail the thread.

Egregores were a subject that was brought up a few months ago in regards to group psychology with propaganda and while it may work temporarily it breaks down when it doesn't conform to reality.

These were all man in fighting age. In a country where young people are a minority.
The result is Russia then had to conscript old man and give them rusty AK-Ms.

But I'm sure YOU have such resolve. And YOU are in the frontlines fighting for that Russian revolve.
I bet you are not of of those cowardly Russians in a western country, benefiting of western modern life, just watching the war happen.
I’m not Russian and don’t care about Russia. My issue is the West isn’t doing enough to end this war faster because they expect it to be over by end of next year.

But I’m betting Russia won’t give up till half a million are dead. So another 5 years or so.

Their excuses for not training Ukrainians on western jets are just excuses now. Russia has already escalated by bombing infrastructure and the excuse of it will take too long to train doesn’t matter in a 5 year war. They should be giving them weapons to end this sooner.

Last edited:

winjer

I’m not Russian and don’t care about Russia. My issue is the West isn’t doing enough to end this war faster because they expect it to be over by end of next year.

But I’m betting Russia won’t give up till half a million are dead. So another 5 years or so.

Their excuses for not training Ukrainians on western jets are just excuses now. Russia has already escalated by bombing infrastructure and the excuse of it will take too long to train doesn’t matter in a 5 year war

What do you want the west to do? Surrender Ukraine to Russsia?

winjer

How does wanting the west to train Ukrainians on western fighter jets l, give them long range rockets mean I want them to give up?

Seriously, the way you talk, really seems like you support Russia.

And no, it's not just a matter of training some pilots in western jets. You might not know, but for every hour a jet flies, it takes several hours of maintenance.
So it would need to train a half a dozen mechanics for every pilot.
And then there is the issues with logistics of STANAG weapons and parts in Ukraine.
A country can't just change from one system to another in a couple of months. Much less when they are at war.

You might not realize this, but the Migs, tanks, weapons and ammo that countries like Poland gave to Ukraine were invaluable.
Also consider that western countries have been buying Russian equipment from other countries, to give it to Ukraine.

And giving long range weapons as the potential of causing a large escalation of the conflict, which might turn into a nuclear conflict.
The Ukraine hitting Russian bases with their weapons is one thing, but if Russia is hit with western weapons is has a potential to escalate.

During these months, the Ukrainian military has proven a reliable partner, so the US is considering removing these restrictions.
There are talks about giving the Ukrainian military some GMLRS.

Nikodemos

Their excuses for not training Ukrainians on western jets are just excuses now. Russia has already escalated by bombing infrastructure and the excuse of it will take too long to train doesn’t matter in a 5 year war. They should be giving them weapons to end this sooner.
While eventually Ukrainians will have to use NATO-spec jets (even if they manage to vacuum up all available Soviet planes, lack of spares will ultimately and invariably send them to the scrapheap), it takes at the barest minimum 2 years of highly intensive training to get at a level that can be considered in the same time zone as proficient. And this is without taking into account the time/resources needed to train the technicians who maintain and repair the birds, or the infrastructure work.

What the Ukrainians truly and genuinely need right now is:
1. A lot more air defence. Both in terms of complete systems, and electronics to repair/upgrade their existing Soviet-era stock.
2. Artillery. Shittons of artillery, of all types. From light mortars, through howitzers, to heavy rockets. While I understand that ATACMS is tied to Russian escalation (using ballistic missiles, either of their own or Iranian design, on Ukrainian cities) there are other models that don't fall under such an escalator clause.
3. Electronic countermeasures. Very little talked about, but absolutely vital. Both to shut down Russian drones, and to foil Russian attempts at ELINT/ECM.
4. Ground vehicles and spares for them. While the higher-tier formations (ex. 93rd Mechanized) have decent kit, large gaps are still present in equipment readiness, especially for units composed of territorial defense troops.
5. Drones. They have very short lifespans over hot zones, so attrition is very high.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Long read, but worth it IMHO.

As always, grain of salt and all that:

winjer

Even Chinese companies are running away from Russia.
Congratulations to Putin in his masterplan of turning Russia into the new North Korea.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Putin now says his military should operate more like NATO 🤣 Russia is fucking lost and should just be let go .. what a clowns country

Tams

Gold Member

Zelensky speech to congress. It is surprisingly in English.

Not surprising at all.

Zelenksy has a decentish command of English, and he's trying to get favour in the US. There are many in the US, and the world, who will have been far more impacted by him speaking in English than if a translation was needed.

And before someone goes off about American exceptionalism, it's just human.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not surprising at all.

Zelenksy has a decentish command of English, and he's trying to get favour in the US. There are many in the US, and the world, who will have been far more impacted by him speaking in English than if a translation was needed.

And before someone goes off about American exceptionalism, it's just human.
He spoked in Ukrainian right before he went into congress, tho. That's why "surprising", you know.

Tams

Gold Member
He spoked in Ukrainian right before he went into congress, tho. That's why "surprising", you know.
Nah, still not really. The speech was the big event. It is what needed to have an impact.

His English isn't the best and he's come across as not the most confident in it, so if he doesn't need to speak in English, then he probably won't. Pretty normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom