• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

Is it still satire, when people are taking it seriously and litter pictures like all over the internet with taglines like "this war is fake", "this war is laundry scheme..." and so on?

It isn't confronting a truth for a basis of humour. It's simple propaganda that changed the circumstances to make it appear that Russia is being unfairly maligned, Ukraine overstating the threat and the US is being taken advantage of due to lack of confirmation or oversight due to some implied Hollywood wag the dog scheme using Santa for the joke as story within a story.

It's Ben Garrison in written form. It's a type of modern humour. Qonspiracy humour. Does it belong here?

This is one of the most lazy and irrelevant criticisms you could have made.

Use your free speech to demonstrate the integrity of your ideas rather than bitch about your lack of a safe space.

Yup. Case in point.
- Taking things out of context - Check
- Refusing to acknowledge that a joke/satire website made a joke (whether its "funny" or not is clearly up to debate, but there is no doubt that it is, in fact, a joke). - Check
- Personal attacks - Check
- Dogpiles - Check

No need to derail the thread about what constitutes satire/humor, but yall need to breathe into a paper bag and relax. I don't think anyone in this thread (or any regular poster), is legitimately against supporting the Ukrainians.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Yup. Case in point.
- Refusing to acknowledge that a joke/satire website made a joke (whether its "funny" or not is clearly up to debate, but there is no doubt that it is, in fact, a joke). - Check
- Dogpiles - Check

No need to derail the thread about what constitutes satire/humor, but yall need to breathe into a paper bag and relax. I don't think anyone in this thread (or any regular poster), is legitimately against supporting the Ukrainians.

You'd be surprised about the amount of support some folks have given Russia and decided to shit up this thread.

And humor is subjective, but that specific joke isn't funny and really only does support a Russian bent view. No doubt it's the Bee cause they are some shills, but there's been enough "subtle" pro-Russian shit in this thread that yeah - it's pretty quick to be shot down. Make a "Ukraine/Russia Meme" thread I guess.

Raven117

You'd be surprised about the amount of support some folks have given Russia and decided to shit up this thread.

And humor is subjective, but that specific joke isn't funny and really only does support a Russian bent view. No doubt it's the Bee cause they are some shills, but there's been enough "subtle" pro-Russian shit in this thread that yeah - it's pretty quick to be shot down. Make a "Ukraine/Russia Meme" thread I guess.
I'm not the one that posted it (and wouldn't' have because I don't find it particularly funny, but clearly the poster who did post it, didn't do so in a legitimate way to support Russia, just has bad taste in jokes).

Meh, the vast majority of posters here support Ukraine (as I do). Up to the mods to allow morons to defend Russia if they want. With the no politics rule, not sure where they are coming out on this.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
I'm not the one that posted it (and wouldn't' have because I don't find it particularly funny).

Meh, the vast majority of posters here support Ukraine (as I do). Up to the mods to allow morons to defend Russia if they want. With the no politics rule, not sure where they are coming out on this.

The morons do get banned but not until pages of derail have occurred. Besides, we're mostly here for the giggles and watching orcs blow themselves up.

RAÏSanÏa

Yup. Case in point.
- Dogpiles - Check

This doesn't have anything to do with my post. Strawman or did you quote is mistakenly?

Raven117

I didn't quote it mistakenly. But I think my discussion with akimbo clarifies my point. I don't want to derail any further. Especially on behalf of a post and poster who posted a bad joke.

RAÏSanÏa

I didn't quote it mistakenly. But I think my discussion with akimbo clarifies my point. I don't want to derail any further. Especially on behalf of a post and poster who posted a bad joke.
Well, even if you are the one who did get worked up and lied during it and now don't want to confront that problem - that's ok, we can move on - you did seem to get one thing right in taking your own advice.
breathe into a paper bag and relax

RAÏSanÏa

I didn't, but yes, lets leave it so this thread can get back on track.
My comment was none of this
Yup. Case in point.
- Dogpiles - Check

It was an analysis of the humour and a question given that analysis.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup. Case in point.
- Dogpiles - Check
What are you talking about? I didn't do any of these things on your checklist.

Ironic.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
5 months later, and at the cost of god knows how many russian lives, today the orcs have reached the houses of Bakhmut.

At this point in time they control about 4 city blocks.

Meicyn

Gold Member
5 months later, and at the cost of god knows how many russian lives, today the orcs have reached the houses of Bakhmut.

At this point in time they control about 4 city blocks.
Yeah, they seem obsessed with taking Bakhmut. They desperately need a win, and if they manage to take it, Putin can parade that victory as a turnaround, even if it strategically makes little sense. Really seems like sunk cost, but they refuse to stop throwing away countless Russian lives at it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Something is fucked up, I don't care for you Musk dicksuckers, but everything Ukraine related vanished from the trending and I don't do much else on Twitter. I went before bad to read some news and this what hit me
Fj-laz1XwAALHc5

WTF?

That + silencing the Ukraine people, while being unable to register or enter 2FA. Is he truly a kompromat or just a Russian asset?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Something is fucked up, I don't care for you Musk dicksuckers, but everything Ukraine related vanished from the trending and I don't do much else on Twitter. I went before bad to read some news and this what hit me
Fj-laz1XwAALHc5

WTF?

That + silencing the Ukraine people, while being unable to register or enter 2FA. Is he truly a kompromat or just a Russian asset?

it is genuinely baffling.

I've also noticed several accounts ukraine related i follow and used to read daily have disappeared from my timeline. Julia Davis and Def Mon for example I have to manually search. Instead I get much more content from local accounts I followed out of courtesy but never read.

And its not just anecdotal evidence, a few days ago there was a thread by people who post ukraine content where people talked about their reach stats going down in half.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Fj-laz1XwAALHc5

WTF?

We do know, at this point, that Musk is a Russian bot, right?

Coconutt

Fj-laz1XwAALHc5

WTF?

Doesn't help that the bots were removed, where else is the fake outrage going to come from.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Doesn't help that the bots were removed, where else is the fake outrage going to come from.
If the bots would get removed, musk post would get 10 likes. Also there are quite a bit of channels, talking about it. Thankfully some things were made correct today:

Just for the information, Kiev is Russian spelling. And Twitter is blocked in Russia...

Cyberpunkd

Can we hurry up in the West, support Ukraine, cripple Russia and go on with our lives? WTF are people waiting for? Russian-backed separatists shot down a passanger plane a few years back, stop hoping they will play nice. Just shot all of them, laugh at Lavrov anytime he shows his dirty face outside Russia.

This should be a tactic: you laugh at Russian leadership any chance you have. You ridicule them.

Neff

This should be a tactic: you laugh at Russian leadership any chance you have. You ridicule them.

The world has largely accepted now that Russia is basically the cartoon supervillain lair of the world and always has been, and their shambolic military and jellybrained logistics have allowed us to mock them freely where they were once semi-respected and feared. Rambo knew all along-

KMvwqB.gif

But that doesn't mean they can be written off entirely as a threat. Russia's inherent Russian-ness hinges on their love of conquest, antagonism of rival nations, and willingness to throw endless corpses at their enemies in the name of 'victory'. They will unfortunately remain dangerous for these reasons until they're gone.

RAÏSanÏa

"
Spinning together a counternarrative for tens of millions of viewers, Russian propagandists plucked clips from American cable news, right-wing social media and Chinese officials. They latched onto claims that Western embargoes of Russian oil would be self-defeating, that the United States was hiding secret bioweapon research labs in Ukraine and that China was a loyal ally against a fragmenting West.

The emails provide a rare glimpse into a propaganda machine that is perhaps Russia’s greatest wartime success. Even as the country faces battlefield losses, mounting casualties, economic isolation and international condemnation, state-run television channels have spun a version of the war in which Russia is winning, Ukraine is in shambles and Western alliances are fraying. Along with a fierce crackdown on dissent, the propaganda apparatus has helped President Vladimir V. Putin maintain domestic support for a war that many in the West had hoped would weaken his hold on power the longer it dragged on.

To create this narrative, producers at the state media company cherry-picked from conservative Western media outlets like Fox News and the Daily Caller, as well as obscure social media accounts on Telegram and YouTube, according to the records. Russian security agencies like the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., the successor to the K.G.B., fed other information, creating an alternative version of events such as the bombing of the Ukrainian city of Mariupol.

In other instances, V.G.T.R.K. workers shared clips, sometimes from little-known American media, that appeared to show opposition to the war rising in the West or how sanctions were backfiring against the United States.
"

How it circulated and showed up here with people wanting this actual propaganda spread as legit news here is something to consider. It took effort by moderation and users to counteract it.

sinnergy

[/URL]
"
Spinning together a counternarrative for tens of millions of viewers, Russian propagandists plucked clips from American cable news, right-wing social media and Chinese officials. They latched onto claims that Western embargoes of Russian oil would be self-defeating, that the United States was hiding secret bioweapon research labs in Ukraine and that China was a loyal ally against a fragmenting West.

The emails provide a rare glimpse into a propaganda machine that is perhaps Russia’s greatest wartime success. Even as the country faces battlefield losses, mounting casualties, economic isolation and international condemnation, state-run television channels have spun a version of the war in which Russia is winning, Ukraine is in shambles and Western alliances are fraying. Along with a fierce crackdown on dissent, the propaganda apparatus has helped President Vladimir V. Putin maintain domestic support for a war that many in the West had hoped would weaken his hold on power the longer it dragged on.

To create this narrative, producers at the state media company cherry-picked from conservative Western media outlets like Fox News and the Daily Caller, as well as obscure social media accounts on Telegram and YouTube, according to the records. Russian security agencies like the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., the successor to the K.G.B., fed other information, creating an alternative version of events such as the bombing of the Ukrainian city of Mariupol.

In other instances, V.G.T.R.K. workers shared clips, sometimes from little-known American media, that appeared to show opposition to the war rising in the West or how sanctions were backfiring against the United States.
"

How it circulated and showed up here with people wanting this actual propaganda spread as legit news here is something to consider. It took effort by moderation and users to counteract it.
Better story than Avatar 2 🤣

Tams

Gold Member
"

"

I think some people do believe it, or want to believe it. They are so disillusioned with the state of things that when something supports or looks to support their views, they leap on it. Those same people often lack critical thinking skills and their sense of logic is very basic (mostly one of 'there must be two equal and opposing views on a situation'). If someone bangs on about 'the mainstream media' (often abbreviating it to MSM), then it's a pretty sure sign they are off their rocker.

Then again, it could be part of some sort of operation.

Not that it matters either way; those dodgy sites and sources should be ignored and discarded. Anyone who continually pushes them should just get banned, no matter what their reasons are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom