• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Not surprising at all.

Zelenksy has a decentish command of English, and he's trying to get favour in the US. There are many in the US, and the world, who will have been far more impacted by him speaking in English than if a translation was needed.

And before someone goes off about American exceptionalism, it's just human.
He nailed it!

I am not well versed on how he ran his country during "peace". But as a leader of a country during war time? He has my sword. He has pretty much run a flawless campaign for his country in front of the world. Lets not mince words, 300 days ago everyone was sure that Ukraine would fall within 2 weeks, at most a month.

Goes to show, that adversity can sometime bring out the best in people.

Without getting too political.. (Tip of the hat to those other nations/leaders, and the US in particular for helping Ukraine achieve what it has so far)... More work to be done though.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A shame this thing is still going on.

If Russians decided to raid an oil rich middle eastern country, everyone on Earth knows US, UK, France etc... would be there in a flash to protect the country and oil fields. Hell, arent they already there with military bases and battleships?

But I guess Ukraine doesn't really have anything the big western countries care about. To me, it has nothing to do with Nato or no Nato.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I stop following the news and commentary/ "analysis" because they felt like "Oh, Russia is done" or: "Oh, this is exactly Russia's master plan".

Vestal

If Russians decided to raid an oil rich middle eastern country, everyone on Earth knows US, UK, France etc... would be there in a flash to protect the country and oil fields. Hell, arent they already there with military bases and battleships?

But I guess Ukraine doesn't really have anything the big western countries care about. To me, it has nothing to do with Nato or no Nato.

This is about Democracy.

Those What ifs you mentioned have happened in the past..(Afghanistan).. The US ran a non direct campaign against Russia there, like here.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

I don't think that is the case. The issue is Russia's nuclear arsenal, not the value of Ukrainian territory.

The closest comparison with oil is Syria. Russian haven't invaded there though, and haven't done a load of postering around their nuclear weapons, so the 'West' are present on the ground there.

For something comparable to Ukraine, there's Georgia. The 'West' are involved in Ukraine here partly because it does have a lot of valuable resources, including indirect ones like vicinity to NATO members and intangible ones like Ukraine being a bigger examole democracy (however flawed it was). Georgia were pretty much left out to dry as they had/have nothing in comparison.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Russia says there is no chance for peace because now there is no chance that they win lol

Zelenskyy just gave arguably the best and most heartfelt speech a foreign dignitary has ever given on American soil and for the first time in living memory both sides of the House were cheering unanimously for a common cause. Not only that but the shot of Zelenskyy close to tears as the House chants "Slava Ukraini" is something that will go down in history. It will literally be in textbooks.

Russia is so fucking boned in the eyes of the world public. There is no coming back from that. Its no longer a matter of if. Its a matter of when.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Zelenskyy just gave arguably the best and most heartfelt speech a foreign dignitary has ever given on American soil and for the first time in living memory both sides of the House were cheering unanimously for a common cause. Not only that but the shot of Zelenskyy close to tears as the House chants "Slava Ukraini" is something that will go down in history. It will literally be in textbooks.

There's no a single thing on earth that would make Putin (and his lapdogs across the world) panic more than watching bipartisan support like that from the United States.

Last edited:

murmulis

I stop following the news and commentary/ "analysis" because they felt like "Oh, Russia is done" or: "Oh, this is exactly Russia's master plan".
Russia lost when they ran away from Kyiv. Their main goal was to kill Zelensky and topple his government. They failed to do that.

What they're doing now is pointless violence that doesn't get them any closer to to their goal.

Putin sent their best units to Kyiv. Elite units - VDV, etc. And they failed miserably. So what are they going to do now? Try again, but with random conscripts this time?

Lasha

Russia lost when they ran away from Kyiv. Their main goal was to kill Zelensky and topple his government. They failed to do that.

What they're doing now is pointless violence that doesn't get them any closer to to their goal.

Putin sent their best units to Kyiv. Elite units - VDV, etc. And they failed miserably. So what are they going to do now? Try again, but with random conscripts this time?

Keep sending wave after wave of his own men in the hopes of reaching Ukraine's preset kill limit.

winjer

There's no a single thing on earth that would make Putin (and his lapdogs across the world) panic more than watching bipartisan support like that from the United States.

Makes me wonder if some politicians will try to upstage each others, by promising more and more help and weapons to Ukraine.
For example, Ron DeSantis likes to dress as military and portray an image of patriotism. He might try to say Biden is not doing enough and that if he was the PSO, he would send more missiles, ammo, money, etc.

Thaedolus

Russian brainwashed bots.
I wonder what’s in it for people like Tucker. The idea of kompromat comes to mind but honestly it’s just as likely he’s just a piece of shit chasing money and willing to say whatever outlandish shit that gets people’s outrage up and keeps them tuning in.

winjer

I wonder what’s in it for people like Tucker. The idea of kompromat comes to mind but honestly it’s just as likely he’s just a piece of shit chasing money and willing to say whatever outlandish shit that gets people’s outrage up and keeps them tuning in.

Maybe he is getting money from Russia.

Keep sending wave after wave of his own men in the hopes of reaching Ukraine's preset kill limit.
P5jwjx6.jpg

Low tier meme effort whilst making food!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Seeing some of the wingnuts' reactions to the speech, you might wonder if this is even a joke...

usa seems so divided with these idiots.
They have civil war on the way... I don't remember it ever being so openly crazy in media.
Conspiracies theories were always fun. Now they are taken as real all of sudden and idiots go crazy.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
usa seems so divided with these idiots.
They have civil war on the way... I don't remember it ever being so openly crazy in media.
Conspiracies theories were always fun. Now they are taken as real all of sudden and idiots go crazy.
Unfortunately freedom of speech in America means the stupid and idiotic get a platform and instead of being mocked into silence and embarrassment they fucking elect them into government ffs...

Liljagare

Unfortunately freedom of speech in America means the stupid and idiotic get a platform and instead of being mocked into silence and embarrassment they fucking elect them into government ffs...

With freedom of speech also comes a certain responsibility and morality regarding of expressing what is wrong, and what is right, when expressing your views. Hate speech, is not morally defensable, and should not be included in freedom of speech, you're just being a asshat if you try to hide your immoral values behind freedom of speech. We all understand this when it comes to families and relatives, should also be applied to nations imho.

In alot of languages, freedom of speech, means the freedom to say and freely speak your mind, without delivering hate speech, but, not in english for some reason. Always thought this was kind of interesting.

Last edited:

Winter™

Banned
Interesting. Do you have a newsletter we can all subscribe to?

nemiroff

Gold Member

Seeing some of the wingnuts' reactions to the speech, you might wonder if this is even a joke...

And not to mention that mind bending message from Kirk saying that it was a betrayal of the US to accept the Ukrainian battle flag (I mean WTF, how's that anything remotely a betrayal...). To imagine that these people (I agreed to an extent, but not fully) spent five years complaining about the other side.. Holy shit they've gone truly bananas.

War against Christianity..? Wat. How is that an angle even possible to come up with. It's insane, literally.

Last edited:

Winter™

Banned
Here in Sweden the Russian trolls stopped posting, because they won't get paid over christmas.
I'm not even Russian. I'm Polish, just FYI.

It's obvious that Russia must collapse but I would like to focus on Ukraine for now. I remember the Orange Revolution in the early 2000s. People revolted there many times. Ukraine can't afford having new oligarchs after the war. It would be totally sad for all those people who gave their live for the country.

Liljagare

I'm not even Russian. I'm Polish, just FYI.

It's obvious that Russia must collapse but I would like to focus on Ukraine for now. I remember the Orange Revolution in the early 2000s. People revolted there many times. Ukraine can't afford having new oligarchs after the war. It would be totally sad for all those people who gave their live for the country.

What exactly the fuck are you on about? Reads like a bad google translate.

Winter™

Banned
This is also a fake?

"In April 2021, Zelensky submitted an “urgent” parliamentary bill to liquidate Vovk's court. However, the bill has been blocked for more than one and a half years by parliament, where the president's party holds an absolute majority."

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Ukraine will have a huge number of political and economic problems to deal with when Russia stops their illegal invasion, but the first step is for Russia to end their evil totally unjustifiable genocidal invasion and fully withdraw (including from Crimea).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom