• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching a documentary on the Battles in the Pacific during WW2, in the doc it has vets from USA and Japan returning to the island, at 52:45 is where it puts all wars in perspective:

Russians and Ukrainian's who survive this will meet again in 50 years time when they are old men, share a drink and a laugh.

Such a waste to those who didn't survive the war.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see any form of friendly talks with anything Russian in our lifetime. They fucked up worse than ever before with this and there is no way back for them. Their country is a complete shithole and even if they would stop fighting right now, they'd have to pay seperations to Ukraine that they just can't afford thus throwing their country in even deeper shit if that's possible. Nobody that will remember this war will want any Russian close to him. I don't see Russia making the same u-turn that Japan did in the same timespan. They are completely lost.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ukraine is never going to forget or forgive Russia and neither is the West, my kids are being brought up viewing Russia as nothing more than 21st century Nazi Germany, it's people heartless zombies and it's Government/Army nothing but incompetent evil monsters, fuck the lat of em

winjer

Was watching a documentary on the Battles in the Pacific during WW2, in the doc it has vets from USA and Japan returning to the island, at 52:45 is where it puts all wars in perspective:

Russians and Ukrainian's who survive this will meet again in 50 years time when they are old men, share a drink and a laugh.

Such a waste to those who didn't survive the war.

I doubt that.
Russia has invaded countries like Poland and Ukraine so many times. And committed horrendous crimes so many times, it will be hard to heal such wounds.
But the worst part is that Russia and it's people seem very unlikely to change their mentality for war and pillage.
It's more likely that 50 years from now there is another Russian invasion, than an understand between Russians and any of their neighbors.

Japanese and German societies were able to recognize their warmongering past and move away from it. So much so, that it harmed their capability to defend themselves, relying on the US for protection.
But Russia is still a highly militaristic society, that still sees conquest and expansion as a legitimate way of life.

Patrick S.

Banned
I think it's highly unlikely we'll see any form of friendly talks with anything Russian in our lifetime. They fucked up worse than ever before with this and there is no way back for them. Their country is a complete shithole and even if they would stop fighting right now, they'd have to pay seperations to Ukraine that they just can't afford thus throwing their country in even deeper shit if that's possible. Nobody that will remember this war will want any Russian close to him.
Exactly. Look what we Germans did in WW2, and, even if for sure many German people lied when they did so, but they condemned what happened. Even if it was just by using a „we were just following orders“ justification. We became a model society after the war. And we are still self-flagellating for it 80 years later, and condemning it in school.

I really really doubt Russia(ns) will be able to, or want to, follow our example after the war.

Last edited:
Exactly. Look what we Germans did in WW2, and, even if for sure many German people lied when they did so, but they condemned what happened. Even if if was just by using a „we were just following orders“ justification. We became a model society after the war. And we are still self-flagellating for it 80 years later, and condemning it in school.

I really really doubt Russia(ns) will be able to, or want to, follow our example after the war.
Indeed. Also yes there is a lot f footage from WW2 but nothing like we have now. There is like 4k high definition video of war crimes being committed by Russians and all the other shit they're doing. The Axis powers' population had some deniability with there not being any internet etc... where they could actually see what is happening. Something the Russian population does have, but they choose to believe Putler and his cronies when presented with all this clear cut evidence.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Doubtful. You never saw any videos of allied soldiers meeting up for a cozy chat with Nazis post war. Allied soldiers and the Wehrmacht, possibly.

But the Ruzzian soldiery are committing the same kinds of crimes the Nazis did. I don't think there will be any good natured comradery in the future with people who could have been responsible for rape, child murder and mass killings.

Last edited:

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Ozriel

M$FT

The ironic thing is that none of his fellow conspiracy theorists show any concern that this nutjob used to be VERY high in US intelligence circles. Former NSA and head of the DIA.

He's cozied up to Putin multiple times and accepted money from Russia Today for a speech after Russia invaded Crimea and while Russia was under US sanctions. They better be checking into his activities as NSA.

TheGrat1

This conflict seemed to haved reached a stall.
I think it will be very hard, if not impossible, for Ukraine to take all their land back. The US and EU can't provide weapons and support forever, but Putler will throw as many meat as necessary to drag this. I'm fearing that a deal is the only way out of this.
Ukraine can't take their land back with defensive weapons, they need long range missiles, planes and tanks I think...
A deal? Like the Budapest Memorandum? They already tried that. A deal with Russia is just paper. Fool me one time...

Seriously, how much longer is this going to go on before Russia is reduced to an pile of rubble.
First we have to see how effective Ukraine offensives against a now fortified Russian defense is going to be. If it’s not then it becomes pure war of attrition.

200,000 more Russians dead with current attrition rate should collapse the entire front.

However if more are mobilized then you are looking at a potential 1,000,000 Russians killed before they give up.

All of them have their brain rotten, instead of asking to fuck this war and return their husbands, they just ask to change the way they will die is simple:

Awesome Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Tams

Gold Member

Well said

He's been the best politician on this from the very beginning. I'm so glad that he's agreed to extend his time as general secretary of NATO and he needs to stay on beyond this year.

As he alluded to (and almost outright said), even if you cast morals aside, I don't want to have to go and fight Russia. But if Ukraine falls, then I likely would have to at some point. And if not Russia, it might well end up being China.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If theyre as cowardly as Russians, then they'll just go and die for their dictator.
That's the thing though I don't think they are. Belarus doesn't have the same level of brainwashing that Russia does and Luka is no Putin. He doesn't inspire confidence in those that buy into the propaganda. There is no air of menace and ruthless calm. Luka just comes off as the inept lapdog that he is.

I could see an uprising or at least a low level revolt occuring there over this that just wouldn't happen in the Sovie....I mean in Russia.

Last edited:

rnlval

Ukraine is never going to forget or forgive Russia and neither is the West, my kids are being brought up viewing Russia as nothing more than 21st century Nazi Germany, it's people heartless zombies and it's Government/Army nothing but incompetent evil monsters, fuck the lat of em
With the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, Russian dominated USSR was part of the WW2 problem along with Nazi Germany.

UK's pre-WW2 era defense treaty with Poland was specific against Nazi Germany.

Regardless of Russia's political and economic systems, the Grand Duchy of Moscow's political/economic planning centric remains the same.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Reportedly the russians are heavily reinforcing Kreminna with Wagner and elite paratrooper units.

As a reminder, the maginovsky line of defence that protects svatove and the rest of luhansk ends at Kreminna, so if the city falls it exposes several key cities and roads that disrupt russian logistics in the area.

Whether this is because the Ukrainians are actually getting closer or in preparation of the ground freezing that's expected to happen next week is unknown (as a reminder, during Ukraine's mud season vehicles can only use roads, the ground freezing reenables vehicular use offroad).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom