• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

If tanks are seriously on the menu now, the Russians are even more fucked. They literally have nothing to put up against modern western tanks.

That is honestly one of the most poignant yet funny cartoons of the entire war, and I can’t wait for the the UA crews to do numerous real life reenactments in video form.

Edit: Was reacting to this post ( you originally had this link instead of the other lol):

Last edited:

Fuck off Putler. Of course, Ukraine will never agree to such shit.

alcoholic ruby dee GIF

TwinB242

I've been saying for a while that Bradleys would be a perfect fit for Ukraine. They might actually be a better option than tanks right now because of the easier logistics, less maintenance required, and much lower training time. A few hundred of those along with a couple of Marders would probably be enough to completely cripple Russia's military.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
A horrifying account of the experience of Russian soldiers, later conscripts, and Wagner Group mercenaries in the field. It reveals some of the absolute failings of Russian military leadership, and the brutality the Russian government has taken against its own people over this war (basically, they are incompetent and evil and Ukraine is righteously butchering them worse than I think many realize):

They include a transcript if you don't want to listen to a podcast.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Ukrainians are currently training in F16 and/or F15 fighter jets.
The US military-industrial complex is loving Russia's invasion of Ukraine because every piece of equipment donated/sold to Ukraine has to be replaced (inevitably with something newer and more expensive).

The US will probably end up with a gigantic fleet of F35s and Ukraine will receive a bunch of F16s. Plus, once Ukraine is up to speed with F16s, it allows other NATO members running F16s to offload them to Ukraine and get stuck in on the F35 action. I suppose it's a pretty good system for Ukraine assuming the stuff they receive is good/better than what they're up against (which it probably is).

The skies over the battlefield will be quite dangerous to F-16's as well. You would need hunderds to really start making a difference.

This news that the Ukrainian MacGyver Brigade has wired Sea Sparrows to be launched from Buk launchers seems more significant for now, that's a huge supply of missiles being made available.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Ukrainians are currently training in F16 and/or F15 fighter jets.
The US military-industrial complex is loving Russia's invasion of Ukraine because every piece of equipment donated/sold to Ukraine has to be replaced (inevitably with something newer and more expensive).

The US will probably end up with a gigantic fleet of F35s and Ukraine will receive a bunch of F16s. Plus, once Ukraine is up to speed with F16s, it allows other NATO members running F16s to offload them to Ukraine and get stuck in on the F35 action. I suppose it's a pretty good system for Ukraine assuming the stuff they receive is good/better than what they're up against (which it probably is).

While that's all good in theory, in practice the F-35 production lines are rammed. The waiting times are stretching back years and bringing up new lines is a difficult process due to the secrecy of some of the technology (even if China stole the plans). F-35A production is going the best, but even that has quite a few errors to work through.

winjer

A horrifying account of the experience of Russian soldiers, later conscripts, and Wagner Group mercenaries in the field. It reveals some of the absolute failings of Russian military leadership, and the brutality the Russian government has taken against its own people over this war (basically, they are incompetent and evil and Ukraine is righteously butchering them worse than I think many realize):

They include a transcript if you don't want to listen to a podcast.

It speaks volumes, that Russians soldiers prefer suffering in the trenches, than to rise up against the regime that put them through all this misery.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Them up against Abrams would be an absolute horror show.

And the Bradley’s will mean the Ukes can travel a lot further, a lot more safely. Even they can easily take out Russian tanks with the TOW missiles they’ll have on board.

not yet tanks but definitely a step in the right direction.

While the M1 is the top dog in terms of tanks, they are fuel hogs and they weigh a fucking ton (which is obviously a figure of speech since it has depleted uranium in it’s armor). When there’s a much closer supplier for lighter tanks it just makes more sense, like the one’s France just pitched in, it’s honestly a better option for them right now. Especially when Russia’s armored units are essentially depleted.

Last edited:

Gp1

Another gold thread from Telenko

It sounds to me that this first batch of if/light tanks is a test to see if Ukraine can employ and maintain western MBTs. But I believe that they will receive something like the german Leopard and not the Abrams.

winjer

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...bilise-extra-500000-conscripts-claims-ukraine

Remember when I was talking crazy that it will take a million dead soldiers to stop Russia.

Russia knows the West will give up giving weapons before this happens.

Nah. Russians will run away from Russia even faster now.
Soon, there will only be babushkas left or Putin to conscript.

And what weapons will Russia arm these new soldiers with?
They already had to go though the inventory of rusty AKMs. and T-62s.
What's next, PPSH, Mosin-Nagants and T34's?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Russia knows the West will give up giving weapons before this happens.
lmao

The US hasn’t even hit $100 billion in allocations and has zero troops on the ground. Unlike Afghanistan, there are clear, tangible results from these expenditures. The purpose is abundantly clear to everyone involved. The consequences of noncommitment are even clearer. NATO’s purpose has been reclarified for participating nations and has additional nations in the process of joining. Russia, once considered the US’s largest military rival, has been reduced to… I don’t even know what you would call it. Russia’s power and influence in the world has been significantly curtailed. World leaders no longer wait for Putin, Putin is made to wait for them.

And since these systems are being diverted from American stockpiles, they must be replenished. That means increased production, that means more jobs. More jobs are good.

What, exactly, would make the west give up? You keep saying that the west will give up, but history has shown that the United States looooooves throwing money towards munitions to lob at problems. Like, explain your position.

lmao

The US hasn’t even hit $100 billion in allocations and has zero troops on the ground. Unlike Afghanistan, there are clear, tangible results from these expenditures. The purpose is abundantly clear to everyone involved. The consequences of noncommitment are even clearer. NATO’s purpose has been reclarified for participating nations and has additional nations in the process of joining. Russia, once considered the US’s largest military rival, has been reduced to… I don’t even know what you would call it. Russia’s power and influence in the world has been significantly curtailed. World leaders no longer wait for Putin, Putin is made to wait for them.

And since these systems are being diverted from American stockpiles, they must be replenished. That means increased production, that means more jobs. More jobs are good.

What, exactly, would make the west give up? You keep saying that the west will give up, but history has shown that the United States looooooves throwing money towards munitions to lob at problems. Like, explain your position.
The speaker of the House who just got voted in is anti Ukraine

Meicyn

Gold Member
I knew that was coming.

He is not anti-Ukraine, he is an invertebrate who wanted to be Speaker more than anything in the world and would do or say anything to get there. He now has what he wants and it is likely he will retire in the manner that Paul Ryan did because acquiring the position was all that matters.

The reality is that the majority of the House will vote in support of a Ukraine appropriations bill just as the Senate will, and the President will clearly sign.

Anything else?

Tams

Gold Member

Lol, it took him 15 votes to get elected. He's on incredibly thin ice and will go whatever way the wind blows so long as he gets to remain speaker. And the House is overwhelmingly in favour of supporting Ukraine.

sinnergy

Nah. Russians will run away from Russia even faster now.
Soon, there will only be babushkas left or Putin to conscript.

And what weapons will Russia arm these new soldiers with?
They already had to go though the inventory of rusty AKMs. and T-62s.
What's next, PPSH, Mosin-Nagants and T34's?
They will probably use these old ass weapons 🤣

nemiroff

Gold Member
How much of that Ukraine equipment lost is actually Russian equipment that they got during the war?😁
Probably a significant part :) But about that, if you look at the data in the site it actually says that ruZZia has captured more equipment than Ukraine has. I don't know what the explanation for it is, maybe there's some skewing due to how the data is collected.

Anyway, I found another interesting graph:

refugees_direction.jpg

I've always got the impression that there was a net "loss" of people in Ukraine due to refugees. But according to the data there has been more people coming into Ukraine than there has been people going out.. Would be nice to see some context to this (although of course the logical thing to think is that people want to help during a genocidal war, either by fighting or other means).

Last edited:

Lasha

Probably a significant part :) But about that, if you look at the data in the site it actually says that ruZZia has captured more equipment than Ukraine has. I don't know what the explanation for it is, maybe there's some skewing due to how the data is collected.

Anyway, I found another interesting graph:

refugees_direction.jpg

I've always got the impression that there was a net "loss" of people in Ukraine due to refugees. But according to the data there has been more people coming into Ukraine than there has been people going out.. Would be nice to see some context to this (although of course the logical thing to think is that people want to help during a genocidal war, either by fighting or other means).

One person going across the border and back would be represented on both lines. Workers doing multiple runs across the border skew entries on a given date depending on where they start or end their day. All that graph can show you is rough momentum either way. You see a spike in outbound trips corresponding to the start of the war with overall traffic going back to a normal trend as the front lines stabilized.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Other than the battle of bakhmut/soledar, the big news of today is official confirmation that the orcs shipped several battalions of aerotransported troops to kreminna. This might signal that russian command believes mobicks can no longer hold the city and needs to dedicate higher caliber troops to hold it. As for soledar itself, it appears the situation is difficult.

Bakhmut has been holding for 5 months and 1 week at this point.

Oh and the usual suspects have been circulating disinfo that it's not that russia really wants bakhmut but that ukraine is protecting the secret biolabs hidden in the region salt mines. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom