• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member

Good work Ukrainian AD personnel

This is very important, as the Kinzhal is one of the best missiles Russia has to attack other countries.
If Ukraine can stop several of them like this, be it with the Patriot system or any other system Ukraine has, it means the Kinzhal is not as difficult to counter as Russia wanted us to believe.
This war, has once again showed us that Russian materiel is not very good.

sinnergy

This is very important, as the Kinzhal is one of the best missiles Russia has to attack other countries.
If Ukraine can stop several of them like this, be it with the Patriot system or any other system Ukraine has, it means the Kinzhal is not as difficult to counter as Russia wanted us to believe.
This war, has once again showed us that Russian materiel is not very good.
Russia only produces hot air 🤣

Liljagare

Lot's of Pro-Russian shit on Twitter, rn. Something about Kiev. and the Patriot SAM System.
I want to get confirmation on the situation but, I kept reading shit from dumbasses who just want to cede the war to Russia.

The only sources saying that it was hit are Russian sources. Considering everything they say is the opposite of the truth, I'd bet that no it was not hit. It also wouldn't make sense considering every missile/drone was shot down.

Now - it could've been damaged by debris. But there is no official confirmation of this anywhere.

But it distracts from the huge news, 6 out 6 Kinzhal's were shot down. People keep missing a key thing about those, they are ballistic. Meaning, they don't manouver, once you know from where they are launched, and at what speed/altitude, you can intercept, from the front. Nobody ever stops to ask why the US who tried to make real hypersonic cruise missiles, that can manouver in flight, gave up on it, it's extremely hard to make them function.

Another oversold RuSSkie piece of shitware, just like all their equipment "made" the last 30 years. It's shit covered with propaganda diarrhea, nothing "new" in the RuSSkie arsenal have had production numbers over 80 or so.. Remember that the Patriot system only had a 10% success rate against the SCUDS?

How come it's now hitting 100% of Kinzhal's? Also, Russian sources talking about this as if the war depends on 1 Patriot launcher. Are they really so afraid of losing the capability to terror bomb Kyiv?

Last edited:

Apocryphon

The Tornado GR4s were worn to the bone and had been used in active combat intensively. The UK, with all her capabilities, was pushing it keeping them in service, especially after retiring the Harriers. Maintenance crews were pulling their hair out. The availability rate of them ended up quite poor towards the end. If I remember correctly, only 2 out of 5 tended to be available at RAF Akrotiri.

Germany still have some. But a) they need them and b) they are showing their age as well and have mechanical problems.

Airframes have a lifespan. For fighter jets, that's quite short, especially if they are used in active combat.
Surely age and mechanical issues are prevalent in the Soviet era fighters that have already been provided to Ukraine too? I guess it does make sense that F16’s are what are being discussed though given their wide availability and high level of maintenance.

I just want to see GR4s in the sky again and I feel like they windows have been the perfect ground attack aircraft for this conflict. It’s a shame European nations aren’t in a position to provide mothballed aircraft or accelerate possession of Tornado replacements like the F-18 and F-35’s to free up some of the airframes that are still on active service in Germany and Italy.

I guess it’s the same issue as the A-10’s though.. training, and maintenance.

I just wish somebody would commit something. Missile and drones are great, but aircraft would help tremendously.

Tams

Surely age and mechanical issues are prevalent in the Soviet era fighters that have already been provided to Ukraine too? I guess it does make sense that F16’s are what are being discussed though given their wide availability and high level of maintenance.

I just want to see GR4s in the sky again and I feel like they windows have been the perfect ground attack aircraft for this conflict. It’s a shame European nations aren’t in a position to provide mothballed aircraft or accelerate possession of Tornado replacements like the F-18 and F-35’s to free up some of the airframes that are still on active service in Germany and Italy.

I guess it’s the same issue as the A-10’s though.. training, and maintenance.

I just wish somebody would commit something. Missile and drones are great, but aircraft would help tremendously.

The Tornados have had their time. They served well, but are not appropriate.

And the British ones really were well past it and overworked. Production of any components has been shut down and dismantled for well over a decade.

Let it go. I had to with the Harriers. You get used to it.

Last edited:

Tumle

If Ukraine can shoot down russias most powerful missile.. or 6 of them.. doesn’t that mean that Russia is not that big of a nuclear threat as they are trying to make them selves out to be?
I think if Ukraine did shoot down there “state of the art” missiles western countries should start threatening Russia, to pull out, because apparently they would not be able to use there nuclear weapons in any way, where we couldn’t intercept them and shoot them down..

LimanimaPT

If Ukraine can shoot down russias most powerful missile.. or 6 of them.. doesn’t that mean that Russia is not that big of a nuclear threat as they are trying to make them selves out to be?
I think if Ukraine did shoot down there “state of the art” missiles western countries should start threatening Russia, to pull out, because apparently they would not be able to use there nuclear weapons in any way, where we couldn’t intercept them and shoot them down..
Well, if one manages to get through, that would be one too many.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between some long range missile and an ICBM that has multiple nuclear warheads in a single ICBM.

There is no defence against an ICBM.

All missiles fired by russians last night were intercepted including 6 Kinzhals which were claimed to be invincible. Yet another myth of russian military superiority is demolished by NATO AA thech and Ukrainian soldiers.​

m.censor.net/ua/new...

fuck yeah GIF

Last edited:

Facism

Gold Member
The Tornados have had their time. They served well, but are not appropriate.

And the British ones really were well past it and overworked. Production of any components has been shut down and dismantled for well over a decade.

Let it go. I had to with the Harriers. You get used to it.

Was mad af when they retired the Harrier 😭

nemiroff

Gold Member

Just to add more clarification. I'm not a super duper expert, but I know one single patriot system consists of several modular parts, some of which are placed up to 10 km from eachother, and another launcher group can be placed 30 km away AND the equipment can be mobile, like the battery launchers. IDK, perhaps if the strike is potent enough to damage the ECS and radar set if they are placed close enough, maybe. But in practise it's unlikely that an entire Patriot system is destroyed or damaged to the point they need to pull the entire system to repair it (edit: unless they can't effectively defend the repair with backup AA so-to-speak). We'll see..

Cpivorv.png

XhtYO8f.png

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
There's a huge difference between some long range missile and an ICBM that has multiple nuclear warheads in a single ICBM.

There is no defence against an ICBM...
...from Western countries... there fixed it for you

Seems its going to be open season on the Orcs soon, I see the Brits are leading the way again in ignoring the cries of the cunts in the Kremlin by delivering long range strike capability along with the Frenchies, that should be enough the make the Americans start sending over better gear

BlackTron

Claiming to take down the Patriot system ended up just making them look even worse. Because it suggests that even with one system down, just whatever defense remained was able to intercept that entire barrage of Russia's best missiles without a single one slipping through the cracks, and on short notice with no time to tweak or prepare remaining defenses. It makes our stuff look so good compared to yours, it doesn't even impact our capability for 5 minutes if you kill one.

In my minds eye, I see a carrier setting a missile turret on fire in Starcraft. But there are 5 turrets. I hope the carrier can beam its impressive accomplishment back with a picture of the fire before it is blown up, having spent massive resources to ding some cheap shit.

Gp1

Just to add more clarification. I'm not a super duper expert, but I know one single patriot system consists of several modular parts, some of which are placed up to 10 km from eachother, and another launcher group can be placed 30 km away AND the equipment can be mobile, like the battery launchers. IDK, perhaps if the strike is potent enough to damage the ECS and radar set if they are placed close enough, maybe. But in practise it's unlikely that an entire Patriot system is destroyed or damaged to the point they need to pull the entire system to repair it (edit: unless they can't effectively defend the repair with backup AA so-to-speak). We'll see..

Cpivorv.png

XhtYO8f.png
And we don't even know if they hit something.

It could also be that one of the interceptors failed and exploded near the launchers.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yup, and for those with special interest, here's the AFU briefing where they give the details of their research. Some of the details are quite stunning indeed, like the engine is basically from the 1930's and can go all the way down to a third of its power output even in mild weather on the steppes of Ukraine (I believe that's what they said in the video). They also made a point about the first $4.5mil T-90m destroyed in Ukraine was taken down by a simple $20k Carl Gustav recoilless rifle.

(Remember to turn on captions, then go to settings->subtitles and choose auto-translate to English (or your native language if applicable))

Last edited:

acm2000

we need some proof for the world that patriot did actually shoot 6 kinzhals down, till then its just ukraines word and against russias (even if russias words is worth about as much as a dead cat)

...from Western countries... there fixed it for you

Seems its going to be open season on the Orcs soon, I see the Brits are leading the way again in ignoring the cries of the cunts in the Kremlin by delivering long range strike capability along with the Frenchies, that should be enough the make the Americans start sending over better gear
What systems can shoot down ICBMs? Because it's not the patriot.

nemiroff

Gold Member

After an evaluation of the damage to the Patriot to determine whether parts of the system needed to be replaced or could be repaired, the initial conclusion was that the system, which was stationed in an airfield, was still operational against all threats — including hypersonic missiles — the American officials said.

sinnergy

Yup, and for those with special interest, here's the AFU briefing where they give the details of their research. Some of the details are quite stunning indeed, like the engine is basically from the 1930's and can go all the way down to a third of its power output even in mild weather on the steppes of Ukraine (I believe that's what they said in the video). They also made a point about the first $4.5mil T-90m destroyed in Ukraine was taken down by a simple $20k Carl Gustav recoilless rifle.

(Remember to turn on captions, then go to settings->subtitles and choose auto-translate to English (or your native language if applicable))

Russia producer of shit 🤣

Liljagare

we need some proof for the world that patriot did actually shoot 6 kinzhals down, till then its just ukraines word and against russias (even if russias words is worth about as much as a dead cat)

We really don't, its been overhyped for a long time. Kinzhal or Kh-47M2 is an air-launched ballistic missile that dates back to the Soviet era. While it entered service in 2017, it is a modified version of the ground-launched short-range ballistic missile, 9K720 Iskander, with a new guidance system.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rus...-missile-isnt-as-advanced-as-it-sounds-2022-3

Lasha

I think wreckage has been shown from previous interceptions. Ukraine will probably do the same again after it sifts through debris from the barrage.

I think we are well past assuming any capabilities from Russian equipment. The losses across the board have been baffling all the way back to the battle cruiser lost to a country without a navy. Hypersonic missiles were never a game-changer in a world of ICBM. A successful tactical nuke is going to escalate to actual nukes pretty quickly. Nothing Russia shows seems to function as advertised.

MrA

Thinking about it, I wonder if putins love of windows caused his weapons people to lie about their capabilities to avoid being murdered,
Which would mean putins cruelty sabotaged his own ambition

zeomax

Thinking about it, I wonder if putins love of windows caused his weapons people to lie about their capabilities to avoid being murdered,
Yes, this is called the "Dictator Trap"

Last edited:

Liljagare

Lookup Hitler and the Maus story, or better yet, Hitler and the P1000 "Ratte" story.

Fun stuff.

Last edited:

Forsete

A Ukrainian brigade has been trained in Sweden ahead of the big spring offensive, writes the British The Times. The soldiers reportedly trained with the Leopard 2 tank, combat vehicle 90 and the Archer artillery system before returning to their homeland earlier in May.

The Times writes that the brigade could become one of Ukraine's most powerful units.

SVT's envoy in Ukraine, Bengt Norborg, has been in contact with a source "with good insight" who confirms the information. SVT reports that a brigade consists of between 3,000 and 5,000 soldiers, but how many are supposed to have been in Sweden is not clear from the information in The Times.

The armed forces neither want to confirm nor deny the information.

A good start. Perhaps, if we where let into NATO (thank you 🦃, 🇭🇺 and 🌹) more support would be possible.

Archer, CV90 and Strv 122 will hopefully fuck some mobiks up.

Btw, I would have linked to The Times article, but I was paywalled.
SVT = SVeriges Television = Public Service Broadcaster

They are not the enemy you POS, they are getting back what belongs to them, the deaths of those Ruzzian soldiers attacking an independent country are Putlers's fault, they wasted their blood on soil that is not theirs plain and simple.

Hope you soon join them with all the Ruzzian military.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Russia will do everything to destroy at least one battery, even if it means to waste their dwindling stocks of cruise missiles.

I heard some of their barrage was targeting 1 or 2 of the batteries. Regardless, seeing those Patriot Missiles fly was an extraordinary sight. Hell, any time I see major war exchange through video... it's always left my jaw on the floor.

Liljagare

A good start. Perhaps, if we where let into NATO (thank you 🦃, 🇭🇺 and 🌹) more support would be possible.

Archer, CV90 and Strv 122 will hopefully fuck some mobiks up.

Btw, I would have linked to The Times article, but I was paywalled.
SVT = SVeriges Television = Public Service Broadcaster

They did a reaaaaally good job at keeping the lid on this. :) (En svensk tiger!)

Last edited:

Lasha

I heard some of their barrage was targeting 1 or 2 of the batteries. Regardless, seeing those Patriot Missiles fly was an extraordinary sight. Hell, any time I see major war exchange through video... it's always left my jaw on the floor.

Those Patriot barrages gave me serious Macross vibes. The sheer volume of technology and wealth being launched in Kyiv's defense was awe inspiring.

acm2000

i know people in this thread love to shit on Musk, but Ukraine apparently has over 40,000 starlink terminals in their possession, thats a substantial investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom