• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

T4keD0wN

I was hoping the reports of going back were just typical missinformation.
This is so anti-climactic, it seemed like do or die situation for the mutineers.
What a baffling turn of events, no way there is no punishment, we all know just how worthless any of their "security gurantees" are.
City React GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I wonder where their field camps are? Is it where they drove from to get to Moscow?

This isn't over. So the mod and general get fired and then what? They must have forces loyal to them.

FunkMiller

The story that comes out of this is that Putin gave Prigorzhin something he wanted. And has gone from issuing a death threat against Prigorzhin to capitulating to him.

That makes Putin look - say it with me, friends - very weak.

Mind you, so does Prigorzhin.

Get fucking going Ukraine...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You don't go that easily from "you are all traitors I will kill you" on both sides to "k lets go away"

Majukun

I was hoping the reports of going back were just typical missinformation.
This is so anti-climactic, it seemed like do or die situation for the mutineers.
What a baffling turn of events, no way there is no punishment, we all know just how worthless any of their "security gurantees" are.
City React GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia
In reality they said from the start what was their objective, the resignation of the ministry of defense and in general a change of command for the war, and rumors said it was part of the deal they struck.

We were here thinking about possible miseries when the dude was apparently being genuine in just wanting to get rid of that one guy.

FUBARx89

Putin has never looked as weak as he does right now.

The dubious claim of worlds 2nd strongest army that was already in tatters from the humiliation they've been getting in Ukraine, is now officially shattered to pieces, they couldn't even control a PMC for fuck sake.

China must be rubbing their hands in glee right now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

In reality they said from the start what was their objective, the resignation of the ministry of defense and in general a change of command for the war, and rumors said it was part of the deal they struck.

We were here thinking about possible miseries when the dude was apparently being genuine in just wanting to get rid of that one guy.

True, but if Putin does as Priggo wants, then how weak does he look to everybody else? Putin’s grip on leadership depends on him portrayed as a strong, ruthless man. Today vastly undermines that if he acceded to Priggo’s demands.

Others are watching.

Would be strange a coup would've taken that far from the capital. You would have to decapitate everything within an hour at most. They had plenty of time to react to it. Not sure what's going on here. Outside of them getting their asses handed to them and they're getting pissed about it.

Our intelligence agencies can be inept, but not THAT inept. This had to be internal. We might've fanned the flames, but no way we're all in on this. At least I hope not. That would be a FAFO for us.

When I mean an hour, I mean that communication would've had to be cut off(very prior) to keep those launch codes from being potent.

No way this was an operation from Western sources.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I tell you what. I think Prigozhin is a dead man walking.

If you’re going to threaten and humiliate Putin on the world stage you’d better follow through.

As he hasn’t, he’s dead. It might be in 2 months. It might be after the war has ended.
Both of their survivability ratings are off the charts. The next few weeks/months will probably be interesting.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Will Putin spare Prigorzhin the same way Hitler spared Himmler?
Either way, it's over for both of them. Whatever Putin does now will exposes his weakness. He can double down do a purge or take several steps back, both of which of which make him look pathetic, weak and insecure. Russia is no longer a threat, at least for a few more decades.

Corian33

Even if nothing else comes of this, it has to have shaken Russian army morale even further. Created confusion and disruption that hopefully Ukraine will gain some benefit from. I mean, they literally shot down their own helicopters, blew up their own fuel depots, etc. Then these guys just go back like nothing happened? How can you have any confidence in your leaders after that.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see, but I feel like this isn’t over.

MadAnon

Looks like Prigozhin overestimated his support amongst people and military. Putin basically put everyone in a situation where they had to choose between him or Prigozhin. Prigozhin never ever dared to criticize Putin and Putin's reaction probably made him realize he fucked up. He bailed himself out with the best deal possible - he stays alive but gets exiled to Belarus, and it seems Wagner will be no more.

Putin actually proved that he still has a firm grip on power in Russia, because many believed that Prigozhin is becoming a powerful figure and a threat to Putin.

At least that's how I am reading this bizarre situation.

Last edited:

G-DannY

Looks like Prigozhin overestimated his support amongst people and military. Putin basically put everyone in a situation where they had to choose between him or Prigozhin. Prigozhin never ever dared to criticize Putin and Putin's reaction probably made him realize he fucked up. He bailed himself out with the best deal possible - he stays alive but gets exiled to Belarus, and it seems Wagner will be no more. Putin actually proved that he still has a firm grip on power in Russia.
Lolwut

MadAnon

Lol about what? Have you been even fallowing the news? There are no indications that any demands of Prigozhin will be satisfied in terms of russia's military leadership. He's being sent to Belarus and Russian army will take over wagner units. Seems like he was given a chance to surrender and he took it. And this guy was considered a threat to Putin's power, but went out like a wet fart.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Putin actually proved that he still has a firm grip on power in Russia, because many believed that Prigozhin is becoming a powerful figure and a threat to Putin.

What part of a psychotic chef being able to take over a whole major Russian town, and roll 800 kilometres towards Moscow with little to no resistance makes you think Putin’s grip on power is strong?

Last edited:
Looks like Prigozhin overestimated his support amongst people and military. Putin basically put everyone in a situation where they had to choose between him or Prigozhin. Prigozhin never ever dared to criticize Putin and Putin's reaction probably made him realize he fucked up. He bailed himself out with the best deal possible - he stays alive but gets exiled to Belarus, and it seems Wagner will be no more.

At least that's how I am reading this bizarre situation.

I'd say his main problem was going all in too far away from the capital. It was a short-lived coupe. It was nothing more than a distraction.

MadAnon

What part of a psychotic chef being able to take over a whole major Russian town, and roll 800 kilometres towards Moscow with little to no resistance makes you think Putin’s grip on power is strong?
When you see people going in the streets and calling for Putin's head then you can claim that Putin doesn't have a firm grip on power in Russia. Do you see any signs of it? This was a prefect moment for all those supposed Putin's enemies to strike, but nothing happened. Army and people are still loyal to him.

Last edited:

Majukun

I tell you what. I think Prigozhin is a dead man walking.

If you’re going to threaten and humiliate Putin on the world stage you’d better follow through.

As he hasn’t, he’s dead. It might be in 2 months. It might be after the war has ended.
He probably has a deal with his army that if anything unsavory happens to him, they will again march on Moscow and this time go all the way. Those guys followed him against a nation, they are loyal for sure

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
When you see people going in the streets and calling for Putin's head then you can claim that Putin doesn't have a firm grip on power in Russia. Do you see any signs of it? This was a prefect moment for all those supposed Putin's enemies to strike, but nothing happened. Army and people are still loyal to him.
You confuse apathy and nihilism with loyalty

FunkMiller

Oh yes, he’s in such a strong position that he had to negotiate with a man he told everyone in Russia was a traitor who had to be killed.

The actual idea that you think Putin is strong, when he can’t kill someone directly threatening his authority… He’s never been weaker, and this won’t be the last group to stage an uprising now.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Putin knows this makes him look weak, as does letting someone do this and get away with it. I agree Prigozhin is probably toast. Putin won't let someone cross him and get away with it. Even if it isn't an outward obvious assassination, he'll want everyone to know that anyone who challenges him will mysteriously die in short order at the very least.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Prigozhin not going all the way is bemusing when he was on the cusp, and never looked stronger. He must know that he's living on borrowed time now.

Atrus

Gold Member
Pringles is a dead man walking. I don’t see how anyone with a brain trusts Russia’s “security guarantees” or that of Belarus when that country is essentially annexed by Russia already.

The Wagner mutineers also have to ID themselves to avoid being absorbed by the military command, so they too are likely on an FSB list.

Putin also looks weak caving to terrorists that have killed Russians and forces Moscow to fearfully defend itself.

MadAnon

Oh yes, he’s in such a strong position that he had to negotiate with a man he told everyone in Russia was a traitor who had to be killed.

The actual idea that you think Putin is strong, when he can’t kill someone directly threatening his authority… He’s never been weaker, and this won’t be the last group to stage an uprising now.
Then why didn't Prigozhin continue his march on Moscow when none of his demands were actually satisfied after these negotiations? But instead caved in completely with only a promise from Putin that he will be kept alive. If making your opponent give up completely and be left at your mercy is called "the weakest Putin has ever been" then ok, call it that way.

If this is how easily the biggest threat of Putin's power was handled then I'm very pessimistic about any such attempts repeating in near future.

MadAnon

Kettle meet pot. 3 cheers for your strongman Putin I hope it makes you feel better.
Omg... I'm here talking how I see the power situation in Russia after this coup attempt, and here you are bitching like I'm posting pictures of Putin riding horses naked and whatever of that "Putin stronk man" bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom