• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Omg... I'm here talking how I see the power situation in Russia after this coup attempt, and here you are bitching like I'm posting pictures of Putin riding horses naked and whatever of that "Putin stronk man" bullshit.
And I'm telling you how I see it. People are too apathetic and nihilistic to give a shit about anything in Russia that's why he's in power not because of "loyalty".

FunkMiller

Then why didn't Prigozhin continue his march on Moscow when none of his demands were actually satisfied after these negotiations? But instead caved in completely with only a promise from Putin that he will be kept alive. If making your opponent give up completely and be left at your mercy is called "the weakest Putin has ever been" then ok, call it that way.

If this is how easily the biggest threat of Putin's power was handled then I'm very pessimistic about any such attempts repeating in near future.

You’re looking at it wrong. The mere fact Prigorzhin got as far as he did indicates a high level of weakness of Putin’s military. Putin relies on a strong man image to retain power. That image is now shattered. Others will seek to take advantage of the fact Putin can’t put a putsch of this size down immediately, and violently.

Last edited:

MadAnon

And I'm telling you how I see it. People are too apathetic and nihilistic to give a shit about anything in Russia that's why he's in power not because of "loyalty".
Well, you clearly aren't familiar with russians and their mentality, which Putin developed and honed since he came to power. If you lived in an ex-soviet country with a large russian population like I do, then you would know better. Their devotion to Putin and his rethoric is second to none.

It's like when people were parroting the whole "when zinc coffins start to come back russian mothers will finally stand up just like they did during Soviet invasion of Afghanistan". It gave me a good chuckle. Now everyone is surprised how russian mothers happily send their sons to war and treat their death as heroic sacrifice in the name of Russia. Russian society since Putin came to power has significantly changed.

Westerners and scandinavians are especially clueless in this regard. That's why they've been so ignorant about this growing cancer that is Putin's Russia until this invasion.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
That's why they've been so ignorant about this growing cancer that is Putin's Russia until this invasion.

Huh? All the West has heard about since 2016 has been how evil Russia is. That's 7 years of Russia, Russia, Russia.

Last edited:

Dane

Well, you clearly aren't familiar with russians and their mentality, which Putin developed and honed since he came to power. If you lived in an ex-soviet country with a large russian population like I do, then you would know better. Their devotion to Putin and his rethoric is second to none.

It's like when people were parroting the whole "when zinc coffins start to come back russian mothers will finally stand up just like they did during Soviet invasion of Afghanistan". It gave me a good chuckle. Now everyone is surprised how russian mothers happily send their sons to war and treat their death as heroic sacrifice in the name of Russia. Russian society since Putin came to power has significantly changed.

Westerners and scandinavians are especially clueless in this regard. That's why they've been so ignorant about this growing cancer that is Putin's Russia until this invasion.
Russian mothers are getting the big pile of money of life insurance when their soldier children die in the war.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

When people don't have to be bussed in, forced, coerced or cajoled to go to parades. I'll buy what you're selling.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Russian mothers are getting the big pile of money of life insurance when their soldier children die in the war.

Is it even really happening, or are they just buying into it?

I can't help but think that the Russian government would just try to kick the can until they go away in many cases

Dane

Is it even really happening, or are they just buying into it?

I can't help but think that the Russian government would just try to kick the can until they go away in many cases
What is told is that russian soldiers are now being well paid in order to increase their numbers, parents see that as a financial opportunity.

I wouldn't be sadly that surprised because countries like Russia and China have their history over the last 200 years based on massive repressions and wars, for them, war crimes were just your typical day. The reason why NATO survived the fall of Soviet Union was because the eastern european countries wanted to be secured from any attempt from Russia repressing them again as they did during the imperial and soviet times, ever wondered why they were the first ones to tear down communist governments and in case of the USSR members, leave the union right after it was allowed to do so?

Last edited:

BlackTron

What is told is that russian soldiers are now being well paid in order to increase their numbers, parents see that as a financial opportunity.

Ok, so how about once the soldier is killed? At that point there is no longer any benefit for the government to pay, aside from reputation, not that that ever counted for anything before.

Dane

Ok, so how about once the soldier is killed? At that point there is no longer any benefit for the government to pay, aside from reputation, not that that ever counted for anything before.
They do, its a KIA compensation that's worth 42k euros, wounded soldiers get half.

Fools idol

Banned
Prigozhin's spent 9 years in a Soviet prison, leading a ring of thieves and murderers and drug dealers as a teenager. He sat in the front line, training much like a conqueror or a leader of old times.

Compare that with Putin, who spent his days making coffee for KGB agents is now a poseur working on his image, like Twitter gym bros.

Russians will detect who's real & who's not. The shattered bear riding dream of the pompous days are numbered.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
tv land business GIF by YoungerTV

Liljagare

I cant see him being alive for much longer.

Hoping it gave something for Ukraine at the front, morale will probarly have been affected among the RuSSkie troops.

Seems there are some pretty big pushes.

Last edited:

Tams

we will never know what the hell happened don't we?

Well, it seems that the MOD attacked Wagner and Prigozhin had to react, if only to save face in front of his troops. He likely had larger designs, but he was forced.

Russian forces in Rostov-on-Don decided that it wasn't their battle, and likely that either someone else would deal with Wagner or supported him. Apart from some of the airforce who promptly got shot down.

He then had to send Wagner troops towards Moscow as his hand had been forced.

Putin panicked and said some superlative stuff.

They both realised it wasn't worth keeping this nonsense up and Putin knows that Wagner troops are some of the best he's got, so Lukashenko was made to feel important by 'brokering' a deal between them.

Prigozhin isn't going to go to Belerus without some significant security.

What I'm concerned about is that maybe they are planning on him reopening up the front at the North of Ukraine.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well, it seems that the MOD attacked Wagner and Prigozhin had to react, if only to save face in front of his troops. He likely had larger designs, but he was forced.

Russian forces in Rostov-on-Don decided that it wasn't their battle, and likely that either someone else would deal with Wagner or supported him. Apart from some of the airforce who promptly got shot down.

He then had to send Wagner troops towards Moscow as his hand had been forced.

Putin panicked and said some supportive stuff.

They both realised it wasn't worth keeping this nonsense up and Putin knows that Wagner troops are some of the best he's got, so Lukashenko was made to feel important by 'brokering' a deal between them.

Prigozhin isn't going to go to Belerus without some significant security.

What I'm concerned about is that maybe they are planning on him reopening up the front at the North of Ukraine.

U can bet wagner is n1 putin enemy at this point. Absolute idiotic to not overtake the country or attempt it. Dude has his days numbered.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Putin blinked. He said this beforehand:
“I repeat: any internal mutiny is a deadly threat to our state, to us as a nation. It’s a blow against Russia, against our people. And our actions to defend the fatherland from such a threat will be brutal.

Anyone who consciously went on the path of betrayal, who prepared the armed mutiny, went on the path of blackmail and terrorist actions, will be punished inevitably. They will answer before the law and our people.”
You just had a guy take over two cities with military installations, blew down Russian military aircraft and blitzed towards Moscow in record time and forced them to dig ditches and destroy roads, and that was after Putin outlawing them all and threatening to obliterate them while they continued to blitz towards it.

The fact that they just willy nilly agreed with the Belarus‘s president to solve it, doesn’t stand the smell test…it smells like bullshit. He can’t let the quote above stand and be the supposedly ‘strong‘ leader he is, while letting everyone live. At the same time Prighozin probably knows that too.

This whole thing is strange and reminds me what happened in Turkey. Not sure if real or not. Could be an excuse to escalate the situation as some commentators have been saying. Make it look like it is life or death for Russia. I mean technically Russia has more powerful weapons they have not used yet outside of Nuclear but Vacuum bombs like the FOAB etc are for just killing high numbers of people and I would like to think that the guy has some sanity yet.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Prigozhin knew he would die at least from the moment he realized he couldn't rally enough support. Lukashitco probably told him you're still going to die if you reverse, but at least you'll have a bit more time to live and say goodbye to your family.

sinnergy

Looks like Putin threatening family and only 8000 Wagner troops where at coup attacks, and now Putin want to join Wagner in army and remove management. It’s gonna be a shitshow 🤣

Warning Sign GIF

There is a video of some Ruzzian soldiers killing a Wagner guy. I bet this will intensify, so the guy who started the mess left his men to pay the price. I saw the video, and it was terrible (I thought it was going to be a shot in the head, but no, they cut his throat), but as some people pointed out, they did terrible things to the Ukrainian people, so I felt less bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom