• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuGG_pl

The other side of the coin from my friend is that Poland is a tool of America. There's more to it and what am I going to do pretend to you that I know it all because I don't. I was trying to have a talk with him just to get more clarity but I much defer to somebody there then I would to somebody who is not there. And I'm pretty open to all opinions so I don't think any information should be surprised which is why I'm glad that Tucker did that interview with Vladimir. You have to have all the information to make a proper assessment I don't really take sides I take information and make an assessment. That's why I don't just listen to the popular opinion or nothing. I tend to do something called thinking.
Nearly all USA allies are some kind of tools for them. Thats what being a global superpower does and diplomacy. Japan can be a tool etc etc.

Liljagare

Highmarsed has finished counting russian armoured vehicles at storage bases and in some ways it's worse than hoped. musklink. Before the full-scale invasion, he counts: 3130 BTRs, 1000 BRDMs, 2184 MT-LBs and 5766 BMPs. Good news: the "best" stuff is BMPs, and there were thousands fewer than previously assumed (e.g. from Military Balance). 765 remaining BMPs seem obviously broken, no turrets etc.

Bad news: 2023 imagery showed almost 3k remaining BMPs that could be fixable.

Hopeful news: on-site photos of the single largest field of BMPs shows them rusted and overgrown, a lot of the 3k remaining BMPs might only be good for parts.

An example of a Russian troll / bot account that poses as an American and - of course - supports Donald Trump.(Note tweet 7 in particular, the person's image is being used by Russian sites)

Russia could attack a NATO country within 3 to 5 years, Denmark warns
Danish defence minister is latest Western official to sound the alarm about Moscow’s continued appetite for war
Russia could attack a Nato country in as little as three years, according to Denmark’s defence minister, in the latest and starkest warning from a Western official about Moscow’s appetite for confrontation beyond its war in Ukraine.
Troels Lund Poulsen joined colleagues from Sweden, the UK, Romania, Germany and others in sounding the alarm about Russia’s increased defence spending potential, leading to direct confrontation with NATO, which would test the alliance’s collective defence pledge known as Article 5.
“It cannot be ruled out that Russia will test Article 5 and NATO’s solidarity within three to five years. That was not NATO’s assessment in 2023. This new information is coming to the fore now,” Poulsen told Jyllands-Posten, a Danish newspaper.
European countries have increasingly warned in recent weeks that they believe Russia could try to undermine NATO in the coming decade. In private, many worry that an election victory for Donald Trump in November’s US presidential elections could embolden Russia further.
Sweden’s military chief and prime minister have both this year warned its citizens to prepare mentally for war. Likewise, German and Estonian ministers have said that Russia could be able to attack NATO within five to eight years.
While Kyiv’s Western allies have struggled to agree on further funding and ramp up arms production for Ukraine, Russia has rebooted its military-industrial complex and secured weapons from countries such as Iran and North Korea.
“There is reason to be genuinely concerned,” said Poulsen. “Russia’s capacity to produce military equipment has increased tremendously . . . Russia potentially has the will to [launch attacks]. Now they can also have the ability in terms of military capability earlier than we expected.”
https://www.ft.com/content/b3101099-9516-4b0b-92c6-179997d7e4cf

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The other side of the coin from my friend is that Poland is a tool of America. There's more to it and what am I going to do pretend to you that I know it all because I don't. I was trying to have a talk with him just to get more clarity but I much defer to somebody there then I would to somebody who is not there. And I'm pretty open to all opinions so I don't think any information should be surprised which is why I'm glad that Tucker did that interview with Vladimir. You have to have all the information to make a proper assessment I don't really take sides I take information and make an assessment. That's why I don't just listen to the popular opinion or nothing. I tend to do something called thinking.
The Poles are tools for no one, apart from maybe the Pope ;-) they're a bunch of mad cunts who'll take shit from no one and I imagine would love nothing more than to show Putin/Russians how a proper fucking army operates, Christ I'd love the Poles to get involved alongside NATO, them boys would utterly stream roll over the Orcs leaving nothing for the rest of NATO ffs, so yeah tell your mate he's full of shit and to stop watching YouTube

Forsete

The Poles are tools for no one, apart from maybe the Pope ;-) they're a bunch of mad cunts who'll take shit from no one and I imagine would love nothing more than to show Putin/Russians how a proper fucking army operates, Christ I'd love the Poles to get involved alongside NATO, them boys would utterly stream roll over the Orcs leaving nothing for the rest of NATO ffs, so yeah tell your mate he's full of shit and to stop watching YouTube
Poles and Finns.

Crazy bastards. You've got to love them.

BlackTron

So you're glad that Tucker did that interview with Vlad so that people could make an assessment on the given information that he's an insipid douchebag?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Tucker is that you?

T-0800

So Trump actually just said that if Russia attacked a NATO country, not only would he not come to their defense but he would actively 'encourage' Russia

what.the.fuck
But if he saves me money on groceries that's all that matters. Right?

I'm honestly lost for words. People probably even cheered when he said it.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So Trump actually just said that if Russia attacked a NATO country, not only would he not come to their defense but he would actively 'encourage' Russia

what.the.fuck
Source? Not that I don't believe you or don't think the tangerine bastard would say that, just curious where he said it

RoadHazard

Gold Member

what.the.fuck

Yep, that's fun. Anyone who's planning on voting for this guy is voting for making the US a rogue state and an enemy of the democratic world, hand in hand with Putin.

As a Swede I'm kind of concerned...

Last edited:
Only one country has ever invoked article 5 and it wasn't European.

He also doesn't seem cognisant of the fact that Germany is practically deindustrialising itself to uncouple from Russia.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
He's a fucking moron and everyone in that crowd is fucking moron, can't believe a vast quantity of Americans are that fucking stupid to believe the shite out of his mouth... Aye dead on Trump, an actual political leader really did say that to you but I believe you would in turn respond like a fucking child on a playground With that shite.. everyone in that stadium is a useful fucking idiot.. Christ he boils my blood, doesn't he know the harm Russia is inflicting on an innocent nation, is he not aware Putin has turned vast swathes of a European country into a minefield hell that will be killing innocent people for decades?? Not to mention the phycological trauma all those people have been put into through rapes, murdering rampages and constant shelling?? And he jokes about letting Russia do whatever it wants to other countries...

How is he running for President...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He's a fucking moron and everyone in that crowd is fucking moron, can't believe a vast quantity of Americans are that fucking stupid to believe the shite out of his mouth... Aye dead on Trump, an actual political leader really did say that to you but I believe you would in turn respond like a fucking child on a playground With that shite.. everyone in that stadium is a useful fucking idiot.. Christ he boils my blood, doesn't he know the harm Russia is inflicting on an innocent nation, is he not aware Putin has turned vast swathes of a European country into a minefield hell that will be killing innocent people for decades?? Not to mention the phycological trauma all those people have been put into through rapes, murdering rampages and constant shelling?? And he jokes about letting Russia do whatever it wants to other countries...

He doesn't care because he's pretty much the same (even if he hasn't done anything like that, yet). He cares only about himself. Other countries can go to hell as far as he's concerned. America can also go to hell, really. Again, he only cares about himself and his own power. He doesn't actually care about the people who are about to vote for him either. Guess who else is just like that? Yeah.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Trump is just in it for the money and the whores. He doesn't care about the USA, freedom, democracy, human rights, patriotism, allied countries, etc.
Putin knows this and bought him a long time ago.

BlackTron

He would have to give a shit about Americans first to give a shit about anyone else.

Liljagare

WPqeDiN.jpg

Toons

what.the.fuck

This dudes in the running to be leading the country and I actively see Americans wearing his merch daily.

Oy vvery. Things are about to get real ugly.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This dudes in the running to be leading the country and I actively see Americans wearing his merch daily.

Oy vvery. Things are about to get real ugly.

I'm genuinely thinking of making a permanent move back to Australia because of the mess Europe is going to find itself in, if Trump gets back in charge. Best to be as far away from that shit as humanly possible.

I'm genuinely thinking of making a permanent move back to Australia because of the mess Europe is going to find itself in, if Trump gets back in charge. Best to be as far away from that shit as humanly possible.
Russia is basically spent. Trump will be long gone by the time they manage to rebuild their armed forces.

FunkMiller

Russia is basically spent. Trump will be long gone by the time they manage to rebuild their armed forces.

I'm not just talking about Russia. And even if I was, Trump being back in charge will see support dry up for Ukraine fast, which will only benefit Putin, meaning he can put the screws on the European economy even more. A weak EU is something he definitely wants.

I'm not concerned about actual warfare at all, but I am concerned with the economic implications of a isolationist Trump government for the rest of the world - and for America, for that matter. Turning inward will destroy its economy just as much as anybody else. We live in a connected, globalised society that is now impossible to extricate a nation from... which is something Trump's supporters can't seem to get a grip on.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Trump is just in it for the money and the whores. He doesn't care about the USA, freedom, democracy, human rights, patriotism, allied countries, etc.
Putin knows this and bought him a long time ago.

You forgot that he’s also running to keep himself out of prison.

belmarduk

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You see how badly Russia's military is failing and overstretched already in Ukraine. They couldn't expand that.

Honestly, the US electing Trump would probably result in more self-reliance for Europe and Japan.... and likely better foreign policy. It would be very bad for the US though.

BlackTron

But if he saves me money on groceries that's all that matters. Right?

I'm honestly lost for words. People probably even cheered when he said it.

Your groceries matter more than hundreds of thousands of lives, the free world, and the lasting impact for generations.

Of course.

Ironbunny

I'm no Trumper but there is a certain truth on what he has said. The way he said it is bonkers though. That still doesnt nullify the fact that Europe has let their guard down and needs rethink thole defense system. I hope we get to see a EU build their own defense infrastructure.

The way USA is acting is also making European countries rethink their position with China. If China would not be an ally with ruZZia we might be seeing revisioning of EU and China relations. To a point that overstep the boundries that USA has set. I know in my country there are murmurings of such relations. All ofcourse hinge on questions like Taiwan, Ukraine and Trump and which way Pakistan and India and Turkey move.

Kenpachii

I'm no Trumper but there is a certain truth on what he has said. The way he said it is bonkers though. That still doesnt nullify the fact that Europe has let their guard down and needs rethink thole defense system. I hope we get to see a EU build their own defense infrastructure.

The way USA is acting is also making European countries rethink their position with China. If China would not be an ally with ruZZia we might be seeing revisioning of EU and China relations. To a point that overstep the boundries that USA has set. I know in my country there are murmurings of such relations. All ofcourse hinge on questions like Taiwan, Ukraine and Trump and which way Pakistan and India and Turkey move.

The reality is nobody is scared for russia in europe besides boarder country's towards russia. What trump says will effect them if they don't push 2% of there budget towards nato which they can easily do. The other western country's will give zero shits like always.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The reality is nobody is scared for russia in europe besides boarder country's towards russia. What trump says will effect them if they don't push 2% of there budget towards nato which they can easily do. The other western country's will give zero shits like always.

The point is, it’s easy to say “it’s not a real 2%, they’re fudging the numbers”, and use it as an excuse to let Russia steamroll the Baltics.

The strength of NATO is the confidence that come what may, the cavalry will come. Placing conditions on military support within NATO fundamentally weakens it.

Trump’s foreign policy is essentially Putin’s: fuck nato, fuck china, fuck eu.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The point is, it’s easy to say “it’s not a real 2%, they’re fudging the numbers”, and use it as an excuse to let Russia steamroll the Baltics.

The strength of NATO is the confidence that come what may, the cavalry will come. Placing conditions on military support within NATO fundamentally weakens it.

Trump’s foreign policy is essentially Putin’s: fuck nato, fuck china, fuck eu.
Eh, not so sure about that. Expecting daddy US to continue to overspend and play world police while you neglect your own security, devote more energy to internal spending, and probably even have the gall to complain when the US overreaches but also complain when the US doesn't jump when you snap yah fingers...that's the crux of the issue I think.

Seems pretty clear to me that the days of the US simultaneously protecting all the worlds waterways AND also giving out tons of handouts is coming to an end. Too many companies profited from globalization without having to pay to the coffers of the US and now the US can't afford it. Regionalism is going to come back, I think, and I'm not sure it isn't a bad thing overall. China certainly isn't going to take over the role from the US, at least not outside it's local waters and whatever routes to Africa it needs to secure the flow of minerals. So for the EU to sit back and expect the US to keep coming in...ain't gonna happen for much longer. Gotta look to your own.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Eh, not so sure about that. Expecting daddy US to continue to overspend and play world police while you neglect your own security, devote more energy to internal spending, and probably even have the gall to complain when the US overreaches but also complain when the US doesn't jump when you snap yah fingers...that's the crux of the issue I think.

Music to Putin’s ears, you’re singing his song.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Regionalism is going to come back, I think, and I'm not sure it isn't a bad thing overall.
It absolutely is. We’re going to see more conflicts as a consequence. The moment the United States chooses to relinquish its self-appointed role of world police, the power vacuum will be filled by someone else. China is the obvious country most likely to fill that vacuum, obviously in the bad cop role.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Music to Putin’s ears, you’re singing his song.
I dunno, I've a hard time thinking even he sees ANY of this ending well for him. The $$$ lost in Ukraine, much less materiel and manpower, is just catastrophic for any gains that could be made from that region. Does anyone really think they could do it all over again against another neighbor?

If anything, it's the EU continuing to delay modernization and defense in favor of using daddy US as a shield that helps him. The US is a fickle ally in the best of days with lots of strings attached, have a few "closer to home" crises pop up and no one in America is gonna give two squirts about which flag flies over eastern europe.

Anyway, at least we are getting good technological weapons development at low cost to US lives. Not sure all of those lessons are worth the cost though, or at least not when the lessons are being learned by the OPFOR as well. The next major clash of powers is gonna be a fucking nightmare of drone swarms, no doubt.

winjer

Gold Member

Seems pretty clear to me that the days of the US simultaneously protecting all the worlds waterways AND also giving out tons of handouts is coming to an end. Too many companies profited from globalization without having to pay to the coffers of the US and now the US can't afford it. Regionalism is going to come back, I think, and I'm not sure it isn't a bad thing overall. China certainly isn't going to take over the role from the US, at least not outside it's local waters and whatever routes to Africa it needs to secure the flow of minerals. So for the EU to sit back and expect the US to keep coming in...ain't gonna happen for much longer. Gotta look to your own.

Though it's true that several countries in NATO are not committing to the 2% target, that is not a reason to allow one of the USA's main adversary, to just invade it's allies.
That is the kind of reasoning that a Russian puppet would argue for. And we all know that Trump got a lot of money and whores from Putin.

The USA didn't' secure the worlds navigation just for being a nice guy. It did it because it was the biggest industrial power after WW2 and with Europe and Japan destroyed, it had a huge advantage.
So securing navigation, allowed the USA to export and outcompete many indigenous companies in other countries. It allowed USA companies to import raw goods and energy with little risk. And it allowed USA companies to set factories and sweetshops in third world countries, to then safely import those goods.
Yes, the rest of the world benefited from it, but the country that gained the most, by far, was the USA.
Another thing to consider is that doing so gained the USA a lot of political power. In part because countries were thankful for it. but also, because if any country decided to go against the USA's will, it could lose such protection or worse, just be outright invaded by the same force that was securing navigation.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It absolutely is. We’re going to see more conflicts as a consequence. The moment the United States chooses to relinquish its self-appointed role of world police, the power vacuum will be filled by someone else. China is the obvious country most likely to fill that vacuum, obviously in the bad cop role.
Eh, maybe. Or we may see more regional cooperation, policing, and sustainable measures when problems can't be swept under the rug by $$$ from far away(*). What's better, 20 local conflicts or 1 MASSIVE global one? Prolonged peace and stability, enforced at the point of a gun (even if we call it a benevolent gun) has consequences as well. It's not like we got this way through clean energy or something, we've just been burning the candle at both ends.

It would be really interesting to look back on this period in 100 years or so, just to get the perspective of time. I often feel like we are in the middle of a "collapse of Rome" event that ends up as a 5 paragraph summary in a history textbook down the line :p

*ah shit, not even I can swallow that one. Still, if we are gonna hold up the current global situation as a "good one" then we at least outta have an optimistic outlook on some alternatives.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Though it's true that several countries in NATO are not committing to the 2% target, that is not a reason to allow one of the USA's main adversary, to just invade it's allies.
That is the kind of reasoning that a Russian puppet would argue for. And we all know that Trump got a lot of money and whores from Putin.
See, I just read that line as the usual Trump hyperbole. He always starts with an extreme statement when he really wants something in the middle. Wasn't he going on about how Germany being reliant on Russian gas was gonna create this problem in the first place?

I don't think Russia has been a viable adversary to the US in many years. We hold them up as a boogeyman but that's just because it's familiar, not a real one. I don't think Russia poses even an ideological threat to the West, much less a physical one. Fuck 'em for being really good with internet manipulation though, really hit our achilles heel with that one.

winjer

Gold Member
I dunno, I've a hard time thinking even he sees ANY of this ending well for him. The $$$ lost in Ukraine, much less materiel and manpower, is just catastrophic for any gains that could be made from that region. Does anyone really think they could do it all over again against another neighbor?

If anything, it's the EU continuing to delay modernization and defense in favor of using daddy US as a shield that helps him. The US is a fickle ally in the best of days with lots of strings attached, have a few "closer to home" crises pop up and no one in America is gonna give two squirts about which flag flies over eastern europe.

Anyway, at least we are getting good technological weapons development at low cost to US lives. Not sure all of those lessons are worth the cost though, or at least not when the lessons are being learned by the OPFOR as well. The next major clash of powers is gonna be a fucking nightmare of drone swarms, no doubt.

That is complete non-sense. For the USA, the war in Ukraine has been the most cost effective war, that the USA has ever devoted AID to. Resulting in gigantic loses for a near-peer, such as Russia.
Not only the USA hasn't been force to deploy troops to Ukraine. But most of the equipment sent, is surplus held in storage. Some of it already market for disposal.

But if you are so concerned about money, maybe we should consider that the USA sent 11.3B dollars to Russia, during WW2.
That is 180B dollars in today's money, that Russia never paid back in lend lease AID.

winjer

Gold Member
See, I just read that line as the usual Trump hyperbole. He always starts with an extreme statement when he really wants something in the middle. Wasn't he going on about how Germany being reliant on Russian gas was gonna create this problem in the first place?

I don't think Russia has been a viable adversary to the US in many years. We hold them up as a boogeyman but that's just because it's familiar, not a real one. I don't think Russia poses even an ideological threat to the West, much less a physical one. Fuck 'em for being really good with internet manipulation though, really hit our achilles heel with that one.

And let's not pretend that Trump was the only one that said Germany was getting too reliant of Russia for gas and oil.
Others spoke about it, even inside Germany. So let's not pretend that Trump is some wise man that can see more than anyone else.
Chances are it was a White House advisor that told him that.

Russia still has the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. And it has the means to deploy it.
Just because Russia is far behind in conventional warfare, does not mean they are not a real, significant threat.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That is complete non-sense. For the USA, the war in Ukraine has been the most cost effective war, that the USA has ever devoted AID to. Resulting in gigantic loses for a near-peer, such as Russia.
Not only the USA hasn't been force to deploy troops to Ukraine. But most of the equipment sent, is surplus held in storage. Some of it already market for disposal.

But if you are so concerned about money, maybe we should consider that the USA sent 11.3B dollars to Russia, during WW2.
That is 180B dollars in today's money, that Russia never paid back in lend lease AID.
My issue with that $$$ isn't so much the amount, but the accountability of where it is going. I bet there are a lot more chateaus in Switzerland being built right now. Not to mention the funneling of it back into the US political system.

Give us transparent accounting of where it goes, what it is buying, who it is helping. I'm actually ok with like a 10% "lost in the shuffle" amount so long as it isn't straight biting us in the hand. Honest grift and inflated pricing for goods is fine. I agree we are seeing a pretty good return on it assuming we are cycling out old ammo for new, old gear for better stuff, and developing new systems to need wartime requirements that will last past this conflict.

winjer

Gold Member
My issue with that $$$ isn't so much the amount, but the accountability of where it is going. I bet there are a lot more chateaus in Switzerland being built right now. Not to mention the funneling of it back into the US political system.

Give us transparent accounting of where it goes, what it is buying, who it is helping. I'm actually ok with like a 10% "lost in the shuffle" amount so long as it isn't straight biting us in the hand. Honest grift and inflated pricing for goods is fine. I agree we are seeing a pretty good return on it assuming we are cycling out old ammo for new, old gear for better stuff, and developing new systems to need wartime requirements that will last past this conflict.

That is precious, when Trump is probably the POTUS with less transparency and political accountability ever.
Politicians in the USA are trash, but Trump managed to mark a new low.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And let's not pretend that Trump was the only one that said Germany was getting too reliant of Russia for gas and oil.
Others spoke about it, even inside Germany. So let's not pretend that Trump is some wise man that can see more than anyone else.
Chances are it was a White House advisor that told him that.

Russia still has the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. And it has the means to deploy it.
Just because Russia is far behind in conventional warfare, does not mean they are not a real, significant threat.
Thats why they need to have a system of control and not collapse in anarchy. It's why we sanction with one hand and buy their stuff with another. Why we don't allow Ukraine to make deep strikes against critical infrastructure. This fight has been waaaaay prolonged out of fear of poking the bear, but it is what it is. A war of attrition and making life in Russia so unbearable they enact a regime change without losing total control.

But I've little faith that much of Russia's nuclear stockpile has great accountability. Hell, half of it probably never existed for real anyway.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That is precious, when Trump is probably the POTUS with less transparency and political accountability ever.
Politicians in the USA are trash, but Trump managed to mark a new low.
Trump hasn't been in office for 3 years. He was ONLY in office for 4. These issues faaaar pre-date him. Clear your mind of TDS.

winjer

Gold Member
Thats why they need to have a system of control and not collapse in anarchy. It's why we sanction with one hand and buy their stuff with another. Why we don't allow Ukraine to make deep strikes against critical infrastructure. This fight has been waaaaay prolonged out of fear of poking the bear, but it is what it is. A war of attrition and making life in Russia so unbearable they enact a regime change without losing total control.

But I've little faith that much of Russia's nuclear stockpile has great accountability. Hell, half of it probably never existed for real anyway.

You might not know this. But the USA gave financial help to Russia after the collapse of the USSR, to try to control the stockpile of nuclear weapons.
In part to disarm some of those Nukes. In part to avoid some desperate Russian general from selling nukes to a terrorist state.
NATO is doing all it can to help Ukraine defend itself, while at the same time, prevent WW3 with nuclear weapons. It's a very delicate thing to achieve.

Yes, there are rumors that the Russian nuclear stockpile might be overstated.
There is even speculation that part of their nuclear arsenal might not even work anymore, due to lack of proper maintenance.
But Russia doesn't need to level the world 50 times, doing it only once is bad enough.

Trump hasn't been in office for 3 years. He was ONLY in office for 4. These issues faaaar pre-date him. Clear your mind of TDS.

I was talking about when Trump was in office.

But in these times, when the USA and it's allies are facing Russian and Chinese aggression, the last thing we need is a POTUS that bends over if someone pays him and sends him some whores.
We need a POTUS that can look to Putin and said FU, you don't mess with the USA and it's allies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom