• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromhound

Gold Member
It is true that Rusia is just using its old tanks and weapons and not New armament ? I saw that basically they are using old cold war armament.
Russia is to broke to buy/use new gear. Putin spent the money on a new mansion
putins-palace-1024x569.jpg

LimanimaPT

Why do people still think this war makes no sense? It makes all the sense in the world if you look at it from Russia geopolitical/military front.
You just don't want to see it.
No it doesn't. Invading a country, kill inocent people, cause hundreds of thousands of refugies, send soldiers to die that don't even know why they are dying makes no sense at all. Don't matter from where you look at it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As a European let me say this, I'd gladly accept our badass Ukrainian neighbors into our union.
Conflict or not, they have proven their spirit and courage as a people and we certainly need more of this.
Also let's be real, UA workers are backbone of any EU construction company already. Working while sending money back home, now they will be able to do it without much trouble.

///PATRIOT

Banned
No it doesn't. Invading a country, kill inocent people, cause hundreds of thousands of refugies, send soldiers to die that don't even know why they are dying makes no sense at all. Don't matter from where you look at it.
It does. More real state and pushing back enemy positions. That's what he meant. You don't have virtue signal in your answers btw.

Doczu

What kind of Nazi stuff is going on in Ukraine?
Difficult question.

You've got the Azov battalion formed during 2014 that is now a own unit/special ops if i'm not mistaken. Check their markings, they are neo nazis.
Then you have Stephan Bandera of the UPA/OUN fame. Check him up to if you want. I've heard they also made some ss galizien local hero's, but this is very unconfirmed.as i heard it from an Ukrainian guy when drinking wirh him.

I am not saying the whole government. But they did give Putin a (false) reason.

Last edited:

Vestal

Why do people still think this war makes no sense? It makes all the sense in the world if you look at it from Russia geopolitical/military front.
You just don't want to see it.
20 years ago? Maybe it made "sense"... But in the age of instant news, and communication this sort of military aggression does not make a lick of sense. Not from a Geopolitical or military front and much less from a perspective of expanding your sphere of influence in the international community.. In todays world, this is an isolationist strategy, because you end up being isolated by the majority of the world due to your actions and the effects of them that are being published minute by minute.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This hit hard. What a fucking idiotic war (they all are of course). In today's world with all the history behind, all the information at our fingertips and still we can't stop behaving like animals fighting for territory.It's just sad.
Who knows.

It's not like this is like the WWII days where land = rich because you got a treasure trove of resources to extract where it's like free money. And then use that to build product XYZ with wood or steel.

If anything, the modern day ladder of success is kind of getting away from old school manufacturing and minerals and skewing to higher level services and specialty products, tech, healthcare etc....

As someone said to me pages back, too bad Russian government cares about dominating and leaving the rest of country behind. It's so big with so much resources and smart people that if they really want to, they could morph into a democratic super power if you gave them 40 years to change.

It's not like leaders in western nations are broke. They're all millionaires. But in those corrupted places, I guess it's better to dick around and be a billionaire.

Cyberpunkd

Also let's be real, UA workers are backbone of any EU construction company already. Working while sending money back home, now they will be able to do it without much trouble.
Yes, because any EU construction company is still happy to employ them without papers and pay them shit as a result.

Fbh

What kind of Nazi stuff is going on in Ukraine?

Nothing that I'm aware of.
Putin claimed the country is run by Nazis as one of his BS excuses to invade.

Since he can just point to anyone and claim they are "nazis", the only way to accomplish his demand to "denazify" the country would be to remove the current leadership and place a pro Russian government in charge, because Putin will claim anyone else is a "nazi". And Ukraine will never agree to those terms.

Only the fifth worst, let's wait till tomorrow. Also this article is from Feb 24th, I don't see the market opening today?

Yeah, they've been postponing the opening of MOEX because they know exactly what's going to happen if they do. Seems like they're stalling to buy time to find some solution to soften the blow.

There's a far right extremist wing of the Ukraine national guard called the Azov regiment with ties to neo nazism. It appears Putin is mountain out of molehill-ing the situation as one of the excuses why Russia is doing what they're doing right now.

That seems to be his typical approach. Find a reason, any reason, blow it up, and set a figuratively "legal" pretext to accomplish his goal.

He's got a habit of abusing the law to his bidding. I mean, fuck, he even fucking rewrote the Russian constitution to hypothetically, stay in house until 2036.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
And the EU haven’t accepted Ukraine in to the union before this conflict because?

I’m serious, why haven’t they?
It would aggravate the Russians, and up until the point they invaded, people wanted to appease Russian interest due to their access to natural gas. The EU is dependent on Russian fuel because they think nuclear energy is bad.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone have any sources that go into the strategic portion of the war? I'd be interesting in hearing from a number of different viewpoints.

This guy comes off douchey but he offers up the counterpoint to the whole "Russias military stinks/slow" idea that's popular right now.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I’m still blown away that internet infrastructure is still operating in Ukraine.
It's wild. No one has seen two large fully-developed countries in this current modern era go at it like this with such coverage and optics. War was already something I saw as a total waste, but this has only cemented that opinion for me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Anyone have any sources that go into the strategic portion of the war? I'd be interesting in hearing from a number of different viewpoints.

This guy comes off douchey but he offers up the counterpoint to the whole "Russias military stinks/slow" idea that's popular right now.

3 minutes in. Yeah, this guy gets it.

chromhound

Gold Member
AFTER UKRAINE-RUSSIA TALKS, UKRAINIAN PARTICIPANT PODOLYAK SAYS RUSSIAN SIDE IS STILL EXTREMELY BIASED; PODOLYAK SAYS NEGOTIATIONS ARE DIFFICULT

Whoa there buddy. This sounds like something a bot from a Russian troll farm would say.

How about we keep the discussion laser focused on things like "Russia launching nukes at Kiev" or assassinating Putin by doing "the Bin Laden thing and send in the SEALs with a stealth blackhawk like they used in Pakinstan and wake him up in the middle of the night with a bullet"

You know. Logical stuff like that eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom