• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco EZ

No I concede the wreckage is most likely Ukranian, 100% a T-64 by the road wheel's, which as far as I am aware the Russians don't use their T-64's anymore, unless they pulled them out of reserve.

Interestingly the video and the photo you linked look like the same tank, but their not, the photo is a T-72 because the additional sighting for Infared is placed on the right side of the vehicle while the road wheel's of the vehicle in the video are clearly T-64's which gave this additional addon placed on the left side of the gun, until it was removed in the T-64BM upgrade (Oplat), although the older T-64BV's still retain it

The roadwheels of the wreck.

yeah i see, lots of different variants being used 👍🏻
crazy to see how many have been destroyed or abandoned on both sides to be honest.

T80 abandoned here

there was even a T90 destroyed posted on one of the reddit forums which is one of Russia’s better tanks i think.

Sybrix

You might be able to get one of the last two, but not both at the same time.

Unlikely, cant see Ukraine Govt or the people of Ukraine agreeing to that given what has happened.

They would have to be happy to trust no Russian aggression in the future.............. dont see it happening.

Banjo64

cumsessed
recognition of Russian sovereignty over Crimea - whatever man, it’s basically Russian territory now whether we like it or not.

demilitarization and denazification of the Ukrainian state - no chance. They won’t allow Putin to install his puppet.

ensuring its neutral status - I have no problem with this. I don’t want Ukraine in NATO. Issue would be ensuring Russia adhere to this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
yeah i see, lots of different variants being used 👍🏻
crazy to see how many have been destroyed or abandoned on both sides to be honest.

T80 abandoned here

there was even a T90 destroyed posted on one of the reddit forums which is one of Russia’s better tanks i think.

I mean to show you how hard it is to tell the diffrence between a Ukranian T-72 and T-64

BN-RQ254_UKRAIN_M_20170113194246.jpg

Tank front middle is a T-64 notice the inferred lamp (with its cover on) to the left of its barrel (right in the picture), the tank to the right of it is a T-72 which has the inferred lamp to the right of its barrel.

Add onto that the fact the Russians have handfuls of the T-72 varients of their own, T-80's and of course the T-72's but renamed T-90's with its own varients, it's an absolute shitshow guessing which charred wreckage belongs to whom.

Last edited:

Vestal

And the EU haven’t accepted Ukraine in to the union before this conflict because?

I’m serious, why haven’t they?
Go watch Winter on Fire (Netflix)... Long story short, the were on the brink of joining until a Russian Puppet changed course and imposed himself as a dictator.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Unlikely, cant see Ukraine Govt or the people of Ukraine agreeing to that given what has happened.

They would have to be happy to trust no Russian aggression in the future.............. dont see it happening.
What I mean is you might be able to get:
- a demilitarized Ukraine that is a member on NATO and has US or other NATO troops stationed there
Or
- a non-NATO Ukraine that has its own significant defences
But there is no way you get an undefendable neutral Ukraine.

Wildebeest

What kind of Nazi stuff is going on in Ukraine?

It is all Russian hybrid warfare propaganda designed to leave you feeling confused and powerless, as if it is impossible to know what is really going on. Russia will fund neo-nazi groups and anti-nazi groups and arrange for them to fight each other just to confuse people. Their own Nazi private military contractor sometimes known as "Wagner group" was sent by Russia to operate in Ukraine and is said to be bigger than any Ukraine neo-nazi org.

Rossco EZ

I mean to show you how hard it is to tell the diffrence between a Ukranian T-72 and T-64

BN-RQ254_UKRAIN_M_20170113194246.jpg

Tank front middle is a T-64 notice the inferred lamp (with its cover on) to the left of its barrel (right in the picture), the tank to the right of it is a T-72 which has the inferred lamp to the right of its barrel.

Add onto that the fact the Russians have handfuls of the T-72 varients of their own, T-80's and of course the T-72's but renamed T-90's with its own varients, it's an absolute shitshow guessing which charred wreckage belongs to whom.
i see, very hard to distinguish when you show it like that

Mokus

And the EU haven’t accepted Ukraine in to the union before this conflict because?

Corruption. Other eastern countries that joined the EU in the 2000s, hardest issue on which they had to work was corruption. Yet they still have big scandals about it. Now you have to imagine in countries like Ukraine, Russia (etc.) it's even worse.

PS And maybe with this we can understand why the russian army is in a such sorry state

Last edited:

Bluntman

Because it's an extremely corrupt barely functioning state, with rule of law barely applying, and with horrible treatment of minorities like our Hungarian brothers.

I get that we root for Ukraine now and all that, but this is the reality.

Bragr

Banned
I'm not sure what the outcome of these ceasefire talks will be but if Putin does eventually retreat, we need to get Ukraine into NATO asap and station our forces along the border.
No, there is a reason why Ukraine is not in NATO, the leadership is shady and untrustworthy, you need to be a somewhat stable nation to be in NATO.

Cyberpunkd

Here's a quick rundown:
  • The EU membership is an extremely complex process, basically a country needs for a number of years to reform all aspects of the governments - we are talking laws, regulations, judiciary, etc. For all the great things Ukraine is doing now the economy is in large part controlled by oligarchs and the corruption (including the state) is widespread
  • Even then the political will from the EU needs to be present - Turkey can be easily blamed on 'not in Europe' but both Turkey and Ukraine face the same hurdle - they have large populations, meaning lots of agriculture, meaning lots of money that have to be directed there ; also extra money will need to be spend to improve the life of Ukrainians - EU has ridiculous number of projects it sponsors (either fully, or partially) and that money going to Ukraine will mean it is not going elsewhere - already many Germans from the West resent the amount of money that was spend in the East after 1990 to bring that part of Germany closer to the QoL in the West still without success, now imagine asking Italians to give money to Ukrainians with whom the have nothing in common
  • Joining the EU will mean a plan to open the EU labor market for Ukrainians (although that can be rolled over in phases) - but in the end this will be a large pool of people who would be willing to work for significantly less than the local population and send money back home ; not something unskilled native citizens of Western Europe would be happy about
  • Military aspect: although the EU is not a military alliance there is a talk of a common EU army, and this would make EU exposed to the Russia-Ukraine conflict
In other words the chances of that right now are 0%, and even later this will take 5-10 years at least. I would much rather see Moldova with 4mln people being admitted to the EU, since the country is poor AF and 4mln is a drop in the bucket given the EU funds. Alas, they also have Russian fuckers stirring trouble.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Still reasons to be optimistic that Russian military objectives are forestalled. Keep moving western weapons in, get volunteers where they can pick off troops and make every km advance hell

Alebrije

It is true that Rusia is just using its old tanks and weapons and not New armament ? I saw that basically they are using old cold war armament.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It is true that Rusia is just using its old tanks and weapons and not New armament ? I saw that basically they are using old cold war armament.
Russia doesn't have money to waste getting new gear wrecked. I would expect they'd roll out all their cold war junk to take the brunt of the resistance, then bring out newer stuff once Ukraine is softened up.

Cyberpunkd

There is for sure a much more advanced equipment available, but at the same time Russia is also limited in using it:
  • NATO will have the chance to observe the combat performance of such equipment
  • Taking that equipment would make it unavailable elsewhere - my guess is the border with China and Siberia is much more important than Ukraine
  • Putin miscalculated and thought this will be over quickly

Wildebeest

Hard to fund your military when you are run by kleptocrats whose hobby is stealing all the people's money and partying in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom