• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY Twitch Marathon |OT| Oct 9 Will Be The Day

shipping ruins all fanbases

I doubt any of us are so into a ship that not getting it would trigger a NaruSaku like total meltdown.

Tis all good fun. What really matters is will we ever see shotgun nunchucks again, and
will Neo ever show up to take revenge on Ruby.

The season 2 team fight against the mech is pretty much my favorite fight in the show.

The strategy and use of various abilities of each of the 4 girls working together in pairs that they've setup before now with the code names is just so on point. Everything from the start of the fight by using Weiss and Yang to create a fog of war effect to the end where Weiss and Ruby slow the mech down only for Blake to catapult Yang into the mech absolutely demolishing it was just so well done.

Only fight I think comes close is the final fight of Season 3.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Szechuan Sauce too apparently.

dammit I had almost managed to forget that particular slice of stupidity

never mind, ship all you want, get back to posting fan art, do whatever you want

fuckin mcdonalds nugget sauce has lowered the bar forever

The season 2 team fight against the mech is pretty much my favorite fight in the show.

The strategy and use of various abilities of each of the 4 girls working together in pairs that they've setup before now with the code names is just so on point. Everything from the start of the fight by using Weiss and Yang to create a fog of war effect to the end where Weiss and Ruby slow the mech down only for Blake to catapult Yang into the mech absolutely demolishing it was just so well done.

Only fight I think comes close is the final fight of Season 3.

I agree
and that sets the bar ridiculously high for Volume 5 if the four fully reunite. There is no way, after Volume 4's finale with RNJR v the Nuck, they won't utilise RWBY reuniting to try and recreate a fight like this. They tried to emulate the fluidity of the team during the start of volume 3, but it felt so disjointed compared to the team combat from the previous 2 volumes that it never felt as epic. The choreography has improved a lot since being left without Monty, but it's been nearly 2 years since the four were in the same fight, and over 3 years since that mech fight. I don't think, even with Phyrra v Cinder, a fight is more crucial to get right by the staff than the upcoming one with these four.

PixelatedBookake

Also watching season 2 again is reminding me how frustrating this Jaune/Weiss/Pyrrha plotline is. Ughhhhh. It's so annoying. But it makes Pyrrha's character more interesting as a "perfect victory girl" while being somewhat un-confident with Jaune. Damn I'm remembering how much fun I had marathoning RWBY last year.

https://youtu.be/L1oJTSzfhvU

The RWBY Chibi joke I mentioned earlier. Easily my favorite.

Ok it's at 55 seconds because I'm dumb and can't get the link to work.

I've really grown on Neath's Ren, thanks in no short part to Chibi. He's allowed to emote more in these sketches, it's something I wish would've translated to the show proper. Not to an insane degree, but to show that Ren is testy as hell if you know how to get under his skin.

I've really grown on Neath's Ren, thanks in no short part to Chibi. He's allowed to emote more in these sketches, it's something I wish would've translated to the show proper. Not to an insane degree, but to show that Ren is testy as hell if you know how to get under his skin.

I feel the same way about Cinder. Being able to emote more really helps.

Even Mercury is a decent character in Chibi.

Heh. Flan.

Oh that reminds me next Volume he starts being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.

Actually Volume 3 is when they start getting a lot more professional voice actors.

On that note, there is another VA change next volume, to anyone who's new to the series.

The show ran into a hiatus pre-production on Volume 3 after Monty Oum, the show's creator, passed on during a surgery. Eventually, given the resources he'd left Miles and Kerry - the other two writers who worked with him, Rooster Teeth continued with RWBY production for Volume 3.

There is a sporadic change in some of the choreography of the fights from this point on, as anyone who is aware of Monty's work online, fast paced action was his signature, and one of RWBY's most recognisable traits since the first trailer. A couple of key fights, that'll probably be highlighted here and on Twitch chat, will probably signal you to spot what fights he'd worked on before his death.

The other reason I bring this up is Monty was the VA for Ren on team JNPR. Following his death, Rooster Teeth reached out to Monty's brother Neath Oum, and he's been cast as Ren ever since.

There's a lot of send-off imagery at the start of volume 3, and them casting Monty's brother to carry on his own role within the story is pretty touching.

I always found it funny that Ruby could drag a skyscraper sized bird by the neck with her scythe, but trying to punch a normal mook ends up getting her cross countered.

Geist-

You know, I really want to see the arse kicking Coco gave team CRDL for picking on Velvet.
I imagine crotch kicking was involved.

4068ab6ca5a89d87d93ffb8b98b1f329c2817e29_hq.gif

I always found it funny that Ruby could drag a skyscraper sized bird by the neck with her scythe, but trying to punch a normal mook ends up getting her cross countered.

I think Ruby's semblance is less about speed and velocity, and more about physics getting hyped by her antics.

Like, how insane is it that you decapitate a giant demon bird with a sniper-rifle scythe after running up a mountain after being flinged across by a giant slingshot your friend's made, or how bonkers is it that you turned the entire Beacon academy's food supply into a giant hurricane following one of the most intense food fights in recorded history?

With the White Fang guy it's, you fell in a hole. That one's not so hype, is it? Physics can't get behind that.

Geist-

I'm really looking forward to the reactions of the folks who haven't seen it before. I admit to walking into that one blind and really getting caught of guard.
Same. I honestly just didn't think it was going to be that kind of show. Even leading up to it, despite the other deaths, I justified it by saying "Penny is a robot, she'll probably come back" and "Torchwick was evil, he got what he deserved". Pyrrha really punctuated just how far RWBY was willing to go when with main character deaths.
There were a number of 'death flag' signals thrown about that I figured her days were numbered, but to actually see her go in the way I wasn't expecting was just as shocking. My heart broke for Jaune, who just realized how fortunate he was to have had such a strong, beautiful person like Pyrrha to fall for him. Just thinking about it picks at my heartstrings.. BRING HER BACK DAMMIT!! T_T
Ozpin came back, anything is possible. BELIEVE!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm really looking forward to the reactions of the folks who haven't seen it before. I admit to walking into that one blind and really getting caught of guard.

There were a number of 'death flag' signals thrown about that I figured her days were numbered, but to actually see her go in the way I wasn't expecting was just as shocking. My heart broke for Jaune, who just realized how fortunate he was to have had such a strong, beautiful person like Pyrrha to fall for him. Just thinking about it picks at my heartstrings.. BRING HER BACK DAMMIT!! T_T

Same. I honestly just didn't think it was going to be that kind of show. Even leading up to it, despite the other deaths, I justified it by saying "Penny is a robot, she'll probably come back" and "Torchwick was evil, he got what he deserved". Pyrrha really punctuated just how far RWBY was willing to go when with main character deaths.

Ozpin came back, anything is possible. BELIEVE!

See, I had the exact opposite experience. When I got into RWBY right after V1 ended, I'd read about how one of the big influences for the show was apparently Gurren Lagann, so when Pyrrha popped up I immediately thought, "Oh she is so dead." She was the Kamina to Jaune's Simon, while simultaneously being the Kamina to his Yoko.

In fact, I spent all that time up to the end of Volume 3 figuring that Pyrrha was a goner that I never bothered to really appreciate her as a character until after she went all Kansas on us and became dust in the wind. In retrospect, she was definitely among the better parts of the Beacon Arc imo.

Luigi87

Watching some of vol. 2 today and should be able to watch the rest tomorrow, so I can hopefully watch vol. 3 during one of the latter streams tomorrow.
Also ordered the vol. 1-3 Blu-Ray set. I'm just so thoroughly enjoying this, lol

Same.
Her death broke me emotionally. First I was in a state of shock, then I was numb a few days later. It hit me really hard.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Will have to go back to work tomorrow unfortunately so I'll miss out on the first stream. Judging by how today went I'll be able to join you guys midway on the second run.

Geist-

9 minutes to Volume 3. Don't read twitch chat if you haven't seen this before, spoilers abound.

So many puns...

Top Bottom