• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY Twitch Marathon |OT| Oct 9 Will Be The Day

I mean, the current status quo of Bumbleby is a pretty damn obvious story arc. You can see the basic beats of it coming a mile away. Blake and Yang have to patch things up if Team RWBY wants to ever become a fully functional team again.

Honestly the bigger question for me is whether or not Rooster Teeth are going to go the route of having Ilia end up being Sun's rebound love interest after Blake ends up with Yang. Because while he might end up dating Blake for a little while, that shit just isn't going to last. It's going the way of the Dodo and Makorra.
You are just setting yourself up for disapointment.

You know, sometimes I kinda love Sun and Neptune as comedic side-characters. They have their moments. But more often than not, I just find them rather grating. Comedic or otherwise. lol

Running the "Junior Detective" gag into the ground and out the other side of the globe in Chibi is one of the top listing examples of them being grating.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just found this.
25dc36dd871bc0bf55ac7dc124c93f43.png

It's perfect.

That is so cute! I need more!

If height were accurate she'd be kissing Yang somewhere else...

Oooooooh! L-lewd!

I missed it. What's the dumb overdone joke? I haven't watched much RWBY chibi.

Jr. Detectives. Sun and Netpune go around town fumbling through supposed police antics with 70s detective stick on moustaches. The jokes range from them being incompetent when deducing real crimes committed by the likes of Torchwick and Neo to taking light jabs at police corruption. In season 1 it wasn't so bad as they weren't in too many sketches compared to the rest of the cast, whereas in season 2, it's clear it was hard to keep all the VAs available and so certain cast members were too prevelant.
Ruby, Jaune, Nora, Sun, Tai, and Neptune
. Considering all are heavily associated with RT, and 2 of those cast members are the lead writers, Neptune being one, and Sun's VA being majorly in house with RT it's clear they're there to fill in gaps by other cast members, but the skit itself is so worn out after 4 or 5 gags it's actively an annoyance rather than a joke.

You are just setting yourself up for disapointment.

At the risk of sounding extremely cocky, I've got a pretty solid record of calling which ships end up being canon and which don't. There's plenty of legit signs in the way stuff in V2 and V3 are written and directed that indicate legitimately romantic implications between Yang and Blake.

Plus, it's really not that hard to guess which way that's going to play out considering that Blake's own VA refused to choose between Sun/Blake and
Adam/Blake
and instead said "Neither." That's a pretty damning answer to give for a ship.

If they are setting her up to potentially switch sides, I wonder if they'll address the fact that she's a literal murderer.

Honestly, I can see the Emerald redemption arc coming a mile away and I reaaaaallllllllllllllllllllyyyyyy don't want it to happen. She was totally fine with her actions up until the point she was seeing hundreds of people getting slaughtered on the streets. If she gets a redemption arc, I at least want her to suffer some serious consequences along the way for the shit she helped pull on Yang, Pyrrha, Penny and Amber.

I mean, the current status quo of Bumbleby is a pretty damn obvious story arc. You can see the basic beats of it coming a mile away. Blake and Yang have to patch things up if Team RWBY wants to ever become a fully functional team again.

Honestly the bigger question for me is whether or not Rooster Teeth are going to go the route of having Ilia end up being Sun's rebound love interest after Blake ends up with Yang. Because while he might end up dating Blake for a little while, that shit just isn't going to last. It's going the way of the Dodo and Makorra.

Agreed on both points, Bumblebee has the makings of being a great character driven romance that ties well into the dynamic of the show, rather than a contrivance. It's only real danger of being a letdown now is how long it's drawn out until it becomes a major point in Yang and Blake's respective storylines, and how much interference we get from Adam, and I say him as I genuinely don't see Sun being much of a road black given his persona, he seems very amicable about helping Blake without forcing any affection on her, plus I agree that Ilia is potentially more scripted to interact with him more as the show continues.

At this point, I wouldn't put it past them that Ilia is actually Blakes ex, and not adam. Would explain why shes so, i dunno, hesitant about her.

Nice twist, I like it. She has so much more going for her than him already,
that relationship seems way more real.

SDBurton

I'd be so okay with this.

I think Emerald is a bit jealous of Ruby and her friends.

I expect her to switch sides eventually. The constant questioning and lack of conviction is a telltale sign that she's about to bail. Only reason she's there right now is because of Cinder.

If they are setting her up to potentially switch sides, I wonder if they'll address the fact that she's a literal murderer.

Well, RWBY has killed a numerous amount of White Fang soldiers and indirectly murdered civilians during their battle with Torchwick's mech.

Geist-

Well, RWBY has killed a numerous amount of White Fang soldiers and indirectly murdered civilians during their battle with Torchwick's mech.
I mean, there is a difference between premeditated murder and self-defense/involuntary manslaughter. :p

Agreed on both points, Bumblebee has the makings of being a great character driven romance that ties well into the dynamic of the show, rather than a contrivance. It's only real danger of being a letdown now is how long it's drawn out until it becomes a major point in Yang and Blake's respective storylines, and how much interference we get from Adam, and I say him as I genuinely don't see Sun being much of a road black given his persona, he seems very amicable about helping Blake without forcing any affection on her, plus I agree that Ilia is potentially more scripted to interact with him more as the show continues.

It would make for some lovely drama. Everyone assumed she was into Adam, but it could have just been the sort of teenage idol worship on her side, until she fell out of love so to speak as he turned more violent.

As for emerald
I get the feeling they had no idea just what they were doing and for her. Stealing is one thing, killing another, but they find themselves working for the literal devil of sorts here. Fear is really keeping them there, and they probably think that staying in Cinders good graces is the only thing keeping them alive.

My hot take on Emerald;

She'll switch, but not in a sense where she'll join the heroes as a redeemed villain; even with her interactions with Ruby and the others, she seems to have so much more chemistry and affection for Cinder and Merc. I feel Emerald will indirectly aide the heroes and/or sabotage a specific part of Salem's plans when she feels Cinder is in danger of going off the deep end, or seems to be an eventual sacrifice for whatever Salem has planned for the end. I feel she'll get in over her head, and potentially risk herself and Merc getting killed off by the more hardcore aspects of Salem's crew - potentially Cinder being included in said crew. I think Emerald is the last bastion of sanity and humanity for Cinder, whom I'm fully on board with the half Grimm theory at this point, and is doomed to die in order to push her over the edge.

At this point, I wouldn't put it past them that Ilia is actually Blakes ex, and not adam. Would explain why shes so, i dunno, hesitant about her.

I've thought about that possibility myself. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that being the case, but it seems like there was definitely something going on between Blake and Adam in the past. There's a reason the show makes various parallels and juxtapositions between Yang and Adam in relation to Blake.

I agree, the only real concern I have right now is how long Rooster Teeth are going to try and drag this all out. I think they had a perfect chance to close the door on Sun's romantic interest in Blake during Volume 4 and firmly establish the two as "just friends," but RT decided to double down there and do some teasing through out the volume (though Sun does make a direct comparison between himself and Yang in relation to Blake at the end of the volume, suggesting that he's at least somewhat aware of what's going on between the two). That makes me worry that we might be in for a love triangle down the line.

LOL!
Emerald also had a vital role regarding Penny's death. So, I doubt Ruby will be accepting her with open arms.

Not to mention that Emerald played a vital role in helping frame Ruby's own sister on a global scale.

Swiggins

Are we going to ignore the fact that Adam called Blake "My Darling" at the end of Season 3? I like Bumbleby as much as the next guy but some of you are REEEEAAALLLYYYY stretching it.

Are we going to ignore the fact that Adam called Blake "My Darling" at the end of Season 3? I like Bumbleby as much as the next guy but some of you are REEEEAAALLLYYYY stretching it.

That means he was in love with her, not necessary the other way around. Given that we know her parents are pretty high in faunus society, and former leaders of the white fang to boot, iirc, it's also possible she was dear to him, but only for what he could get out of her. Idealistic teenage girl falls for dashing revolutionary hero isn't exactly out of the question though, but wither it was actual love or infatuation is up for debate.

I'm sorry maybe I'm just stupid but I can't see anything but Blacksun happening after Volume 4. She's literally been paired with Sun before Bumblebee even started getting "hints."

I also don't put any weight in what the voice actors say. The Overwatch actors keep teasing Pharamercy and that's not any closer to being canon then it ever was.
Again maybe there just something I'm not seeing but I just don't see it happening.

Don't get me wrong I won't be upset if it does happen, I'm a diehard WhiteRose shipper I know how it goes.

But I've also seen waaaaayyy to many shippers lose their shit when they don't get their way(not saying anyone here would act like that but elsewhere) and I just don't want anyone getting upset because they saw something that wasn't supposed robbery there.

Actually the implied history between Blake and Adam is a big part of why I feel rather secure in Bumbleby happening. The show goes well out of its way to establish a parallel and contrast between Blake's relationships with Yang and Adam specifically.

The first scene with RWBY in V2 begins with Blake looking at a sketch of Adam in her notebook- only for Yang to spot it and ask about it. After the incident with Mercury in V3, Blake directly compares Yang to Adam. And then of course... there's the Arm Scene.

I wrote an analysis essay on this particular dynamic and how it reflects both the Disney adaptation of Beauty and the Beast and Jean Cocteau's 1946 adaptation of the fairy tale last year, if anyone's interested in reading that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You people are fooling yourselves.

They have spent several seasons at this point putting work into the Sun/Blake dynamic. They even did the whole "boyfriend meets the parents" thing last season.

Like, I can get if you want to see your favorite ship happen, but don't get so wrapped up in it that you get selective vision and then get mad when the show goes where it was always obviously going to go.

They have spent several seasons at this point putting work into the Sun/Blake dynamic. They even did the whole "boyfriend meets the parents" thing last season.

Like, I can get if you want to see your favorite ship happen, but don't get so wrapped up in it that you get selective vision and then get mad when the show goes where it was always obviously going to go.

Don't bother explaining it, because shippers can't grasp logic.

It's not selective vision, bro.

I'm not denying that Sun has a romantic interest in Blake. That's absolutely there. But that shit isn't longterm at all. It's the Harry Potter/Cho Chang of RWBY. It's Mako/Korra all over again.

They've done a fair bit of buildup and investment into the relationship between Yang and Blake's too, in a way that is not done for any of the other inner Team RWBY relationships and is instead more resembling to those of the romances of JNPR. Hell, they got their own love song on the V4 soundtrack this year- something which was only ever done for Arkos and Renora.

Eh, my personal views stem more from my experience as a filmmaker and my own studying of the craft, but sure. It's just blind shipping.

SDBurton

It's because of what was done last season that I feel Sun won't make it past volume 5. They gave him a number of endearing moments with Blake and her family, and I believe that was their attempt (which was successfully done) to try and build up some relevance for him. My guess is that he's probably going to get killed by Adam when they finally meet.

Swiggins

What use is logic to a man aboard a sinking ship?

Real talk, if Bumbleby becomes canon I will personally go out, buy a straw hat and eat the damn thing. I've done it before when
Korrasami
became canon and I'll do it again!

Real talk, if Bumbleby becomes cannon I will personally go out, buy a straw hat and eat the damn thing. I've done it before when
Korrasami

I called that ship happening too. lol Granted, it was initially a bit of a Hail Mary on my part and one based more on
what I knew about Bryke as people and not much of anything based in the show itself- not until Book 3 started at least.

I also called
Hulk/Black Widow
happening in the MCU as far back as 2012. Didn't even ship that one, I just figured that was where Whedon was going to take things with those characters.

Real talk, if Bumbleby becomes canon I will personally go out, buy a straw hat and eat the damn thing. I've done it before when
Korrasami

I was joking about shippers going overboard with their fanfic couple.

It's not selective vision, bro.

Hell, they got their own love song on the V4 soundtrack this year- something which was only ever done for Arkos and Renora.

You know how much would people lose their shit if say Yang did have feelings for Blake but she didn't reciprocate them. I feel like people would freak out worse then if nothing came from it.

But talk of shipping aside hope you guys are ready for shit to get real tomorrow.

Geist-

You know how much would people lose their shit if say Yang did have feelings for Blake but she didn't reciprocate them. I feel like people would freak out worse then if nothing came from it.

But talk of shipping aside hope you guys are ready for shit to get real tomorrow.
I would have so much respect for the writers if they went this direction, because it's a thing that really happens. Life is messy and friendships can't always evolve in romantic relationships, as much as fiction would love for it to be the contrary.

Coughhttps://youtu.be/BKXhmK4SYmkcough
You know how much would people lose their shit if say Yang did of feeling for Blake but she didn't reciprocate them. I feel like people would freak out worse then if nothing came from it.

That's not really a love song though. The only really overt romantic parts of that song's lyrics from Sun's rap portion of the song. Otherwise it's just Blake's story arc from V4 put into song. There's a clear difference between that song and the "love songs" in RWBY ("Shine", "Dream Come True", "Boop" and "Bmblb").

Granted, I suppose you could point to "Not Fall In Love With You" as a different example of a Black Sun love song, but Jeff Williams wrote that one loooong before the show was ever made back when he was in a boy band apparently.

I would have so much respect for RT if they want this direction, because it's a thing that really happens. Life is messy and friendships can't always evolve in romantic relationships, as much as fiction would love for it to be true.

Honestly, I wouldn't be that mad about it. I like Bumbleby as a ship just fine, but I'd be fine with Yang having to deal with being rejected by Blake and finding a different love interest down the line, so long as it was another female character. I really don't want Yang to end up with a guy like Neptune or Mercury, for example.

Hell, if it were handled properly, I'd be all for something like
Yang/Winter. It'd be worth it alone for the comedy reactions from Weiss. Winter's actually much closer to Yang, Weiss and Blake's age (they're all at least 18 by the time of V4/5, since Ruby is officially 16 by the time of V4) than she is Qrow's. You can tell from the Schnee family portrait in V4 that Winter can only be about 5 years older than Weiss at most, while Qrow has to be in his late 30s at minimum and is probably closer to mid-40s.

I've no real issue with Yang ending up with a buy, after all, the show has stated she had an interest in boys. and her flirtation nature if basically a core trait of hers.

Though to be fair, i've known actual lesbians who were like that in HS/Jr High.

SDBurton

Yang/Winter. It'd be worth it alone for the comedy reactions from Weiss. Winter's actually much closer to Yang, Weiss and Blake's age (they're all at least 18 by the time of V4/5, since Ruby is officially 16 by the time of V4) than she is Qrow's. You can tell from the Schnee family portrait in V4 that Winter can only be about 5 years older than Weiss at most, while Qrow has to be in his late 30s at minimum and is probably closer to mid-40s.

The only partner for Winter is
Ruby

Could you imagine the reactions? Especially from Weiss? LOL

Geist-

Lmao, there's fan art for everything:
c18.png

I wouldn't mind this at all.

PixelatedBookake

I would have so much respect for the writers if they went this direction, because it's a thing that really happens. Life is messy and friendships can't always evolve in romantic relationships, as much as fiction would love for it to be the contrary.

Yeah you never see that kind of rejection in media. There's an obsession with "will they won't they" in media but you never see a character, especially one trying to pursue a same sex relationship in fiction, get rejected by the object of their advances and not get with them eventually. That would be realistic and really interesting.

I've no real issue with Yang ending up with a buy, after all, the show has stated she had an interest in boys. and her flirtation nature if basically a core trait of hers.

Though to be fair, i've known actual lesbians who were like that in HS/Jr High.

That's basically what I mean. While I generally suspect that Yang is either bisexual or pansexual, I personally really like the idea of Yang figuring out over time that she's actually a lesbian through and through. After all, sexuality is a fluid thing.

The idea of Yang ending up with a guy, especially if it were after a storyline of Yang realizing she had feelings for Blake and got rejected by her, just feels boring as hell to me.

The only partner for Winter is
Ruby

Could you imagine the reactions? Especially from Weiss? LOL

Eh, I just feel like it'd be funniest if it were Yang. I think Weiss would keel over at the news. LOL

Lmao, there's fan art for everything:
c18.png

I wouldn't mind this at all.

Yuuuuup. There's some other great fanart out there for that ship too.

Granted, I think this is totally a crackship and almost definitely will never happen, but I'd be all for it if it did.

To much of a Snowbird shipper to support that but it would be damn funny if nothing else.

I think Snowbird is more likely to happen (
temporarily at least; Qrow's a dead man walking
), but I really would love to see Elderburn happen myself. It's a fun dynamic to think about.

I'm...I think i'm okay with this. In fact, it woudl be worth it just for the looks on the crews faces.

Exactly.

Top Bottom