• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Sushigod7

imMPoe9IMqSri.gif

KKRT00

Shadows don't magically disappear, they gradually fade the more ambient your light is. The light on the characters and the enviroments clearly communicate that there should be soft shadows on the floor or hard reflections because they are on a very reflective surface. It just looks wrong.

Its not very reflective surface and You're complaining that this game does not feature ray-tracing?

Where there is direct light, there are normal shadows, where there is not, there is just AO. Its like that in every game and will be like that, till we wont get ray-tracing renderers.

And how exactly shadows fade out when the light is covered by different object? You could have shadows from sun reflection of the walls, but You couldnt have shadows from light source that is already covered by something else [like here palace's walls]
Stop making things up.

zoukka

Its not very reflective surface and You're complaining that this game does not feature ray-tracing?

Where there is direct light, there are normal shadows, where there is not, there is just AO. Its like that in every game and will be like that, till we wont get ray-tracing renderers.

And how exactly shadows fade out when the light is covered by different object? You could have shadows from sun reflection of the walls, but You couldnt have shadows from light source that is already covered by something else [like here palace's walls]
Stop making things up.

Nothing seems to be missing in this scene right? It's totally realistic that these dudes don't cast any shadows or reflections on a surface that reflects everything else in the scene like walls and light sources?

nib95

Banned
Nothing seems to be missing in this scene right? It's totally realistic that these dudes don't cast any shadows or reflections on a surface that reflects everything else in the scene like walls and light sources?

At first I was not sure what you two were arguing about, but this definitely seems to be another case of KKRT00 aimlessly defending something Crytek tech related where he shouldn't be. There should definitely be reflections/shadows around those characters, as is they look like they've just been super imposed in. But it's a minor gripe, and possibly a glitch or something.

KKRT00

Specular reflections are much stronger than SSR reflections. And there are reflections from soldiers, they are visible many times even in this quality footage.

And they cast shadows from direct lights. You can easily see that at 11:27 in the background that they cast shadows, because they are actually in a spot of direct sunlight.
Where Marius is in complete shadows.

Lighting is more than fine in these scene.

=========
At first I was not sure what you two were arguing about, but this definitely seems to be another case of KKRT00 aimlessly defending something Crytek tech related where he shouldn't be. There should definitely be reflections/shadows around those characters, as is they look like they've just been super imposed in. But it's a minor gripe, and possibly a glitch or something.

How is this a glitch?
Show me a game with proper lighting, where there is shadow inside the shadow.

zoukka

Specular reflections are much stronger than SSR reflections. And there are reflections from soldiers, they are visible many times even in this quality footage.

And they cast shadows from direct lights. You can easily see that at 1:27 in the background that they cast shadows, because they are actually in a spot of direct sunlight.
Where Marius is in complete shadows.

Lighting is more than fine in these scene.

=========

How is this a glitch.
Show me a game with proper lighting, where there is shadow inside the shadow.

Yes I actually see why there are no shadows (because they don't have secondary shadows done by any technique), but that doesn't mean it looks right. They should've faked something so the characters don't look like they are hovering.

Engines can only render direct shadows for so many sources on 1.3 TF. Screen space based ambient occlusion only goes so far. There is no engine which renders shadows from bounce light in real time.

You are asking for a lot more than what modern engines can do on modern console hardware.

Yes I actually see why there are no shadows (because they don't have secondary shadows done by any technique), but that doesn't mean it looks right. They should've faked something so the characters don't look like they are hovering.

Faking it would make it look completely implausible and fucked up when things move.

You are asking for a rastering normal light shadow model impossibility.

KKRT00

There is good AO, which is not as visible, because of compression and 720p.

You wont have shadows, because its not a ray-tracer. And those would be shadows from bounced light from walls and even with that we dont know if they would be visible in this contrast and they probably wouldnt be visible in this quality footage anyway.
Like i said, there is nothing wrong with scene lighting.

Why should there be shadows? They are in ambient light, not direct light.

And there are reflections.

Characters aren't being reflected in that scene, no. It's a problem because the rest of the environment is being reflected and without shadows the characters aren't properly grounded. Who knows why they didn't activate SSR there.

KKRT00

Characters aren't being reflected in that scene, no. It's a problem because the rest of the environment is being reflected and without shadows the characters aren't properly grounded. Who knows why they didn't activate SSR there.

SSR is enabled all the time, its just main floor texture is not reflective enough for Your taste.
Awful video quality does not help either.

ib0X2SF3Bmuofh.gif

zoukka

There is good AO, which is not as visible, because of compression and 720p.

You wont have shadows, because its not a ray-tracer. And those would be shadows from bounced light from walls and even with that we dont know if they would be visible in this contrast and they probably wouldnt be visible in this quality footage anyway.
Like i said, there is nothing wrong with scene lighting.

Like I said, I don't blame the engine, it's probably very capable, but the fact remains, the scene looks weird and some kind of faking was in order. I'm sure it would've been done if there was enough time.

KKRT00

I'm sure it would've been done if there was enough time.
No, You need extra 10TFlops for ray-tracing to make indirect shadows in real-time from such light bouncing from walls.

Actually, this scene would look worse in most other engines, because it would be much, much darker.

----
What bothers me personally, is that GI bounce lighting specular reflection from walls is not occluded by NPCs, which looks strange in comparison to normal specular reflection that are occluded by dynamic objects.
But we dont know how they implemented their new bounce lighting probes and if there is even possible to occlude it with current tech, so cant really complain about it.

There's a beautiful 100 page PDF manual for RYSE available from the Smartglass companion app. Just downloaded it on Android just now. It's a lovely piece of work. Full of spoilers though so be warned.

SSR is enabled all the time, its just main floor texture is not reflective enough for Your taste.
Awful video quality does not help either.

ib0X2SF3Bmuofh.gif

The golden part of the floor is using SSR indeed, but the grey part (which is most of the floor) isn't. If the floor wasn't as reflective SSDO would be more than enough, but the bright specular highlights exacerbate the problem.

Spasm

So I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there are quite a few gameclips in the Smartglass app.

(On Win8) Go to Ryse under Featured, then the three dots under Gameclips, then go all the way to the right, and choose See community clips.

Lots of really cool stuff here.

danwarb

I saw characters reflected entirely, in some shinier stone wall on the gamespot stream. Guy and old guy going through some dark passageway near the beginning.

~13m58s in the gamespot pre-launch highlights video.

KKRT00

The golden part of the floor is using SSR indeed, but the grey part (which is most of the floor) isn't. If the floor wasn't as reflective SSDO would be more than enough, but the bright specular highlights exacerbate the problem.

You cant turn off SSR per material basis. Its all screen or non at all.

As i said, You are overestimating reflectiveness of this surface. And it does reflect, You can see it near the upper right light source on the legs of barbarians in 11:47. Its more lit from specular reflection and has better angle, which make it more reflective.

You cant turn off SSR per material basis. Its all screen or non at all.

As i said, You are overestimating reflectiveness of this surface. And it does reflect, You can see it near the upper right light source on the legs of barbarians in 11:47. Its more lit from specular reflection and has better angle, which make it more reflective.

This is the problem exhibited:

SamaritanReflectionShadows.png

And in this case it happens for because they're using a cubemap reflection for the environment but as you correctly point out, the material isn't glossy enough for the SSR to kick in.

This is the problem exhibited:

SamaritanReflectionShadows.png

And in this case it happens for because they're using a cubemap reflection for the environment but as you correctly point out, the material isn't glossy enough for the SSR to kick in.

You can prevent that in Cryengine manually. But there is no automatic system. :(

We'll have a more in-depth review of the Roman-themed action game Ryse: Son of Rome later in the week, but just based on what I've played at preview events, the game plays well (if a bit simply) and it looks gorgeous. It's the kind of game you'll want to break out to show off your new console, and it's nice that it takes place outside of the usual war/sci-fi/fantasy video game realms.

Kotaku

SRTtoZ

From TechCrunch review of Xbox One

Ryse: Son Of Rome: Often visually stunning, but remarkably repetitive. Go down hallway. Punch dudes, then stab one in slow-motion. Go down another hallway. Punch another dude. Repeat for 6 or 7 hours, till you reach the end of the confusing-ass plot. Sadly, the dude-punching part isn’t even very fun.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/19/review-microsoft-xbox-one/

That excerpt makes it sound like FFXIII:Rome

It probably is boring if you play on an easy difficulty. And from current trends in gaming, Normal is probably far too easy.

yeah when I played Knack i set it on the hardest and even that was kind of easy for me so I'll do the same with ryse you get more satisfaction from that.

yeah I don't know how much games I've run down hall ways repeatedly and punch people in the face so that doesn't really matter to me sounds like alot of games lol

Sad to read Kotaku AU say that Ryse is a mediocre game. That said, I'm glad they said that Forza 5 is the best launch game this year.

I'll still pick it up though.

Speevy

Banned
The thing that bothers me the most about this game is how bloodless it is.

You stab and kill all sorts of people, but there are no limbs and heads flying off.

Am I a sicko? Maybe.

Speevy

Banned
Ryse is gonna get a pass on its graphics even if the gameplay is substandard.

Launches and eye candy go together very well.

Top Bottom