• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

KKRT00

Back to Ryse, I wonder if the cutscenes are rendered at a higher spec, like what it would look like on high end PC. They looked more impressive to me, same as in ND games. Some of the lighting in them was damn good.

Shadows, shaders and IQ is identical in cutscenes from what we seen. There is also same LoD transition.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No, in your opinion it sucks. You can't label a game as bad because you dislike then expect everyone to agree with you in saying it is bad.

For example: I don't like The Last of Us. I think it's a bad game. Does that mean that people who enjoy it like a "bad game"? No. They like a game I think is bad. A lot of people think that is a fantastic game, and I'm sure it is a lot of people's favourite game of all time.

I meant that in their opinion it is a good game.

That is just an example of you not liking a good game lol. I love Too Human but it isn't a good game. I dont like Street Fighter 4 and that game is great.

jem0208

In order for "good" and "bad" to retain their meaning as words, they cannot simply refer to a subjective evaluation of something. A "good" game must have objective properties that distinguish it from a "bad" game. It's wise to separate good/bad from like/dislike when trying to discuss the merits of a game.

However there are very few objective properties to judge in games. There is graphical fidelity and performance however pretty much everything else is subjective. Therefore arbitrarily labeling a game as bad and expecting everyone to agree is stupid.

That is just an example of you not liking a good game lol. I love Too Human but it isn't a good game. I dont like Street Fighter 4 and that game is great.

How can you define Too Human as a bad game though?

As I said before there are far too few objective properties in games to properly label them as good or bad.

The only way time you can reasonably state a game is bad is when it either cannot perform at an acceptable frame rate or it has game breaking bugs. Everything else is subjective

Graphical fidelity is also objective however has less of an impact on the game. For example games such as Minecraft have very poor graphics yet can still be viewed as good games.

Edit: TLOU was a poor example, I should have said a game I thought was good where the majority of opinions are negative.

YuShtink

Having as much fun as I thought I would with this game. It's simple but effective. The presentation is drool worthy and the executions are brutal. Don't get why the game got SO much flak.

Not great at capturing for gifs but loved this kill and had to share!

ixaLBhCI6LlTe.gif

Yuterald

This game makes me wish Capcom would make a Shadow of Rome 2. I'd take it on the XBONE or PS4. Secret best Rome-era game no one really played.

Yuterald

Totally agree.

Picked it up randomly shortly after release and boy was I happy.

Yeah, I wasn't really following this Ryse game nor do I care what reviews have said about it, but whenever my eyes glaze over this thread title or I see a commercial for the game, ALL I think about is Shadow of Rome. One of my favorite PS2/Capcom games from that era. So underrated. This game looks nice visually though, don't know anything really about it other than that. Hah, sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

Karak

I will probably put our review up tonight or tomorrow. This one called for a couple additional hours of stew time.

zakislam

I've had a blast with this game from the start to end. Other than the QTEs becoming repetitive, not sure why it was that poorly received.

Duuke

I've had a blast with this game from the start to end. Other than the QTEs becoming repetitive, not sure why it was that poorly received.

I would chalk this one up to politics. It's beautiful and fun, but I think the reviews were already scored before the game came out.

Holy shit.
Screen-Shot-2013-11-18-at-2.27.33-PM-600x250.png

This character, Basilius (Spelling?) is played by an actor who performed at the theatre I work at. I recognise that face and voice! Mentallll!!!

Edit: I haven't even got the scene, but I've seen quite a bit of the game. The scene where you first meet the character above is fantastic!

FaintDeftone

I'm glad people are enjoying this. I was hoping the game would shape up to be fun (seeing is a I love this era and setting), but those review scores worried me.

I'll probably grab it when I pick an Xbone up, probably after Christmas.

Holy shit.
Screen-Shot-2013-11-18-at-2.27.33-PM-600x250.png

This character, Basilius (Spelling?) is played by an actor who performed at the theatre I work at. I recognise that face and voice! Mentallll!!!

Edit: I haven't even got the scene, but I've seen quite a bit of the game. The scene where you first meet the character above is fantastic!

That is pretty cool! I love his performance too, I just barely met his brother so still have some ways to go I think.

I actually do have it. A very cool producer on the Ryse team personally sent me a copy after hearing about my family situation, and that I had to cancel my system and game pre-orders as a result. They even tossed in a really cool, limited edition book (which they and other team members signed) about the game along with a t-shirt also.

So, I have the game. I'm just lacking a console at the moment, which I likely won't be able to afford until around April or May next year. And from lots of gameplay footage I've seen, it seems a lot of people don't realize that you can combo faster and more effectively by occasionally alternating between the X and Y button. The shield push doesn't just serve as a tool for opening an enemy's defenses. The player can also wield it a number of ways as part of their combination attack. It's very much a weapon for attack also. I've seen the shield used as part of a spinning backhand attack, I've seen it swung wildly to hit enemies in the face etc. I think that's part of the reason the character's weight is distributed the way it is after a lot of the sword attacks. At that point the quickest possible way to land another attack on the opponent is to follow up with the shield, because trying again with the sword is slower because it requires the character to reposition ever so slightly to launch the next sword attack, and thus gives them time to recover and block or dodge. I assume this is mitigated some if you land perfect hits, though.

The irony of giving out combat advice without being able to play it personally :p

Bro that is just not right. I feel like we need to make a Senjutsu fund. Very lame I am sorry man. Where do you live we can get together and Ill tell you why I think its so awful and you can grin and enjoy yourself and we can do it while drinking some good beer.

Yep, this is real-time.

--
I think this kills all doubts that other cutscenes couldnt be done in real-time.

--
I can also confirm that game uses Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping!

Are you even playing this game?

I would chalk this one up to politics. It's beautiful and fun, but I think the reviews were already scored before the game came out.

Hey I am glad you guys are liking it but I attempted another session of the game today and its just not good. This is going to be a situation just like the Bouncer where everyone talks about how wrong the reviewers were because of how gorgeous the game was and you will go back to play it a second time and realize that...Nope this game is ass.

Launch day fever is a real condition.

Quick question: If Heavenly Sword was one of my favourite games last generation, will I enjoy this? The reviews don't actually help at all with this.

I should also mention, I suppose, that I also enjoyed Golden Axe: Beast Rider enough to finish it.

Scrabble

I'm hearing mixed reactions on the story. I've heard some say they enjoyed it, but Sessler seemed really agitated with it. Going as far to say "it's as if it was written by a 12 year old." That's pretty harsh, especially considering what I've seen looks pretty interesting.

I'm hearing mixed reactions on the story. I've heard some say they enjoyed it, but Sessler seemed really agitated with it. Going as far to say "it's as if it was written by a 12 year old." That's pretty harsh, especially considering what I've seen looks pretty interesting.

Yeah, Sessler's review was weird. He spent half of it ripping into the story before getting to anything else. It seemed really pretentious in an "Oh, I have an English Literature degree" kind of way. Hey, we both do, buddy. Except I'm not going to be dumb enough to call GTA V the Dickens of our time. Eesh. Actually, after he said that, I kind of just blocked out all his ramblings about story and plot. The thing that would annoy me, if anything, is probably that it apparently compresses all of Roman history into a single lifetime.

nikos

I'm torn on whether I should get this or not. Is it worth $43? I can get it for that price after using a gift card. I've spent WAY too much money on games this month.

That is pretty cool! I love his performance too, I just barely met his brother so still have some ways to go I think.

Awesome! :) May sound a little crazy but this game makes me want an Xbox One right now. I'll be getting the system and a PS4 early next year but...I do really want it now. Too many other responsibilities right now though lol.

Sorry for being a little off topic.

Ah I found his name. It's Jamie Ballard. He was in two plays at my work. I stand corrected! He has quite bad skin, like the character, so I'm sure it's him.
rscmeasure11007_360x541.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I really hope MS reuses whatever it is that Crytek are doing to get this kind of image quality. You would never know it's 900p, the image is so smooth. Forza is beautiful but has pretty bad jaggies even at 1080p.

I wouldn't care if all games were 900p if they looked this good.

On chapter 3 now and still enjoying the game a lot.

just inished the game

kind of sad marius dies, guess they don't want a sequel after all.
another thing confusing, is why did Marius have to kill nero if it was that blue god behind the whole thing?

Didn't like how the last sequence was essentially a cutscene as the QTEs didn't matter if you missed.

Stuck on
Commodus.

[use the shield, deflect a couple attacks in a row and he'll get stunned long enough to get a few hits in. also spam the rb attack if you get low on health

malfcn

just inished the game

kind of sad marius dies, guess they don't want a sequel after all.
another thing confusing, is why did Marius have to kill nero if it was that blue god behind the whole thing?

Didn't like how the last sequence was essentially a cutscene as the QTEs didn't matter if you missed.

[use the shield, deflect a couple attacks in a row and he'll get stunned long enough to get a few hits in. also spam the rb attack if you get low on health

I think it is the way I am going about it. I wanted to take him without touching anyone else.

The Goat

So, the hype go to me. Couple hours ago, I ran out and picked up a copy of Ryse. My oh my, is it ever pretty. Probably one of the most graphically advanced games I've seen. Rinse and repeat gameplay does get tiring, but not to the point of boredom or that I want to not finish it. Kind of glad its short, actually. 5 hours seems about perfect.

Definitely hope it gets a proper sequel, with fleshed out combat mechanics.

malfcn

I seriously wonder what the reviewers played.
Again, they had to have had it on the lowest difficulty and sped through it.
The length has been long enough for me, and I am still 44% into the last level.

"I am a collector and I only found 10 through the whole game!"
That proves they ran through the game. If you are a collector your would have found more than that. I do with the collectables added something to the game though, and that they had proper tracking.

Vistas 75%
Scrolls 70%
Chronicles 45%

And Legendary achievements get piddly gamerscore, hah.

malfcn

Just beat it. Have to say overall I was satisfied.
Missed about 25% of the collectables. Now onto a higher difficulty if I don't get sucked into another game.
Somehow I missed exactly how Marius knew Nero had his father and everyone killed until the end which spells everything out.

Wow, credits said they spend 7 years on Ryse.

The companion app is garbo. Half time time it loads for my phone, half the time it says for tablets only. When it does manage to load it is really janky. Maybe that is why it's "tablet" only for some reason.

I bought this game because I wanted something for my Xbone that looked nextgen and critics be damned, I like it. It's fun. Maybe it will grow stale but so far I am entertained.

I feel like any review that claims to be objective and throws anything less than a 6 at this game is just click-bait. Same thing with anything over an 8. It's not awful, but visuals aside, it's not amazing either. It sits comfortably at fairly enjoyable.

Combat is like budget Batman, enemies are boring as sin(seriously, you fight the same 5 guys for the entire game), sometimes the animation is wonky, and there are occasionally some instances of major clipping.

Personally, I can say that I recommend this, regardless of the faults. Especially since there are way too few games set in a similar setting, it's refreshing to hear a bunch of swords clanging as opposed to a bunch of guns being fired.

Ranger35

Neo Member
This game is great! I have to say, TRY multiplayer, if you play it with a friend, it gets really addicting. Arena after arena, gold adding up, so close to a tier 2 booster pack. Ah, it just keeps you coming back.

Story ending spoilers---

The end was a little weird but overall i think the story was ok, it would have made a cute twilight zone episode with the whole gods playing a game. but i think it would have been better if there was more of a focus on the gods if they had to be in there at all, they came off as a kind of after thought and downplayed the whole struggle of marius getting his revenge. like he went through all this shit and two gods at the end were simply like hehe i won, ah damn you won, fade away.

malfcn

The Help section makes it sound like the collectables could be accessed in the game.

Collect music, scrolls, vistas and cinematics in Ryse. Complete the Ryse in-game comic book by collecting chronicles in every level.

The game is not goty material but is good non the less.

I can't understand all the negativity. I will do atleast two playthroughs.

If you ain't got this yet, then get it

Top Bottom