• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

RetroStu

Banned
I have been watching multiple streams and Youtube playthroughs of this and damn at that York level, the foliage and forest graphics are the best i have ever seen and i include Crysis 3 on PC (which i own before i get attacked).

By the way, all of the Youtubers and streamers are really enjoying this game, same thing happened with Knack which also got average reviews, thats why i usually use Youtubers feelings on a game rather than reviews these days.

Raist

Banned
Btw, so it looks exactly like this shot in terms of IQ?

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23516-2061_0001.jpg

--
From video

iqq8tWDiIn2qz.png

Depends what you mean by IQ? Especially since the second shot is I assumed pulled from a skydrive upload, which I'm not sure is recorded ar 1080p? I mean it's quite obviously a lot blurrier than the gamersyde shot.

Nevertheless, the gamersyde shot seems 1080p native.

Finished Ryse late yesterday evening. Replaying on Legendary at the mo.

The game does have its challenge, and the combat is 'okay'. But it does get repetitive - thankfully, its pretty short and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I'd give it a solid 7/10.

eshwaaz

Finished Ryse late yesterday evening. Replaying on Legendary at the mo.

The game does have its challenge, and the combat is 'okay'. But it does get repetitive - thankfully, its pretty short and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I'd give it a solid 7/10.
I'm in the final chapter, and I think that's a fair rating. It's basic from a gameplay perspective, but I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to. I'll definitely be doing a second playthrough.

The visuals have really helped to ease my concerns over the power of the hardware. A launch title looking this incredible bodes well for the future.

Yep, this is real-time.

--
I think this kills all doubts that other cutscenes couldnt be done in real-time.
I agree it all looks in-engine, but why are you so sure this whole sequence is in real-time? The ambush part is comprised of a series of quick cuts, and when it skips to actual gameplay there's a flash-frame to the correct camera attitude. Plus, the burning projectiles light up the tree foliage as they pass in the cutscene, but not during the gameplay part.

The scene could be real-time, but I don't see any warrant for your absolute certainty.

KKRT00

Plus, the burning projectiles light up the tree foliage as they pass in the cutscene, but not during the gameplay part.
What do You mean by that?

You have hud and frame to frame transition, is exactly the same as in other real-time cutscenes, like this one from 3:09
http://www.twitch.tv/slasherjpc/b/482474243

----------------
Depends what you mean by IQ? Especially since the second shot is I assumed pulled from a skydrive upload, which I'm not sure is recorded ar 1080p? I mean it's quite obviously a lot blurrier than the gamersyde shot.

This cutscene is in launch trailer too.

I mostly made comparison to compare geometry, AA and depth of field, i dont see bigger artifacts than on the screenshot.
Sure i hope we get direct feed screenshot to compare.
And IQ question was to people who were playing the game.

Karak

Ryse Review for Angry Centaur Games Link

If you don't like listening to me...well who can blame you? Here is a breakdown

Rated as a wait for sale.

At 39.99 this would be worth an instant purchase but your rubbing up against a cost versus content thing here with MP being a big question mark in terms of longevity(though it was good fun)

Pros:
Graphics
World and locations are fairly varied and actually pretty interesting
Actually an interesting spin on a story I didn't expect
Amount of moves, upgrades and options
Combat system was no where near as bad as I thought it might be and was actually fun, strategic and had a good deal of variety.

Cons: Brevity(it is a bit short for 50-60 bucks)
Possible repetition especially if you choose harder difficulties but that would lengthen game time
Boss battles are hit and miss some interesting some not
Some moves don't translate well between one another. Some do. But when they don't you notice it.

Finished it up early this morning. I was really impressed with it. It's not going to be a great game, but it's a good game and it's getting a bad rap. I agree that it probably shouldn't be a $60 dollar game, but hey, Angry Birds is a $10 game disguised in a $50 pacakage. If I was to rate it, I'd give it a 6 or 7 annd I'll probably play through it again. The graphics are simply amazing. The best of any next-gen game no doubt. I only saw a couple glitches the entire game.

Just getting in to the multiplayer now and it's pretty challenging. I've had some issues finding games but other than that it's worked well.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just finished Ryse, gotta say really enjoyed it. Sure the combat is a bit simple but it's was a fun experience. What I would like to see from a sequel:

More bad guy models, it makes sense for the guards to have the same outfits but if I see one more fat bearded guy with a shield I really might chuck the controller at the screen. At least do some face swaps or something.

More weapons, again sword/shield fits this game but would like to see more if it could be worked in.

More executions, you do theses a ton needs to be many many more.

Great game, sure it's a one and done type thing (don't play online multiplayer games), but unlike most game someone in my house is starting it over and playing it them selves. Good stuff

Well after completing it... here is my video review. Solid first entry for a hack and slash type experience from Crytek and the game is gorgeous. Just need to expand on what the foundation is now and they will have a huge title on their hands.

Karak

Finished it up early this morning. I was really impressed with it. It's not going to be a great game, but it's a good game and it's getting a bad rap. I agree that it probably shouldn't be a $60 dollar game, but hey, Angry Birds is a $10 game disguised in a $50 pacakage. If I was to rate it, I'd give it a 6 or 7 annd I'll probably play through it again. The graphics are simply amazing. The best of any next-gen game no doubt. I only saw a couple glitches the entire game.

Just getting in to the multiplayer now and it's pretty challenging. I've had some issues finding games but other than that it's worked well.

Ya agreed. In my review I basically chalked it up to 39.99 would be an instant buy where 50-60 takes a good deal of thinking about. But all in all I will play it again and it was actually pretty fun.

derFeef

Mh, should have gone with Ryse instead of Forza first, wanted to wait for one of those game until they get cheaper. Forza is great, but I have forgotten how much time it consumes.

Spasm

Just finished it. Man,what a fantastic experience. The gaming press has done gamers a disservice by panning it. No way it deserves 5s and 6s. It's a solid 8. Out of all the launch games I bought for both systems, this is my favorite.

Just finished it. Man,what a fantastic experience. The gaming press has done gamers a disservice by panning it. No way it deserves 5s and 6s. It's a solid 8. Out of all the launch games I bought for both systems, this is my favorite.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm kind of jealous I can't play this on PS4. I know it got panned in reviews, but something about it looks interesting and I love games set in Rome. I'm probably going to pick this up when/if I get a One when Titan Fall comes out.

Prine

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game, I'm playing it on centurion difficulty and I'm having a blast with it, it's deliciously brutal and God Damn the best looking games I've seen this year, you can even make out the yellow on people's teeth. I hope this sells alot for a sequel, more time on the games mechanics and some variety in challenges this will be a potentially incredible series. But crytek nailed the cinematic combat. Love it.

Atsumi

Does anyone know if there's a way to check the difficulty you're playing on? I'm thinking I picked Centurion Difficulty, but I want to make sure before I beat it.

I am enjoying the hell out of Ryse. In the chapter after York now. Campaign is awesome. Just played a half hour or so of multiplayer that is good shit too. Graphics are best thing out on Next gen imo.

Gameplay is as good as Batman but I'll concede the upgrades are less fun given it's just executions.

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23516-2061_0001.jpg

ibvTKFo2mvN72C.png

The golden circles are rounder in realtime.

Realtime better than pre-rendered for sure!

Hawk269

I mentioned this to a few friends and some Xbox Live friends, play the game on the highest difficulty. It is so much more rewarding and you really have to time your attacks and your blocks to do well. Wen I played on Normal or the middle difficulty, it just seemed too repetitive because I did not have to block, parry or roll that much, it was just X & Y, but with the higher difficulty setting, if you don't use your other moves, you are toast.

So far, about 8 people that I have recommended this too have enjoyed the game a lot more than they had previously.

hooligan

This game is great. Finishing the final level. The variety of executions in insane. All the environments have unique executions. There is never any clipping in what are very complex animation scenarios. The camera angles are very well thought out - good closeups etc... Voice acting and facial animation is AAA quality. The script is polished. Definite Gladiator rip-off but not pretending not to be either. Plays a touch easy on Centurion difficulty. Could use different weapon loadouts. Love the testudo segments. Only negative is game is a little buggy for me (with Beta resume on). Had a couple looping black load screens and one boss that was stuck in a fire.

8.5/10

Lebron

Is anyone else's gameclips for this always come out laggy? I have like maybe 10 or so, and all bout 1 are unwatchable due to the video lag.

Loving the game so far. Just beat chapter 5. The games visuals are something else, also enjoying the actors. Guess this is Xbox's Heavenly Sword equivalent.

MaulerX

I really wanted this game but put the brakes after the mixed reviews. Then I started reading the good stuff from actual players and decided to get it after all. I'm not too far in but hot damn, I agree. Not only is this game gorgeous but it's been real fun to play as well. This has been super satisfying so far.

Stantron

Just beat it on the initial hard difficulty. Fantastic game. I couldn't stop gushing over the graphics the entire time. Well worth $60 imo. I hope they do a sequel.

Matthew9559

Neo Member
Yeah. While the game was a joy and I had fun for the entire run... I would love to see a sequel where everything is slightly more fleshed out + longer campaign.

Tsukumo

I'm now eating my face because I'm playing on Legendary difficulty and spamming focus: yeah, focus just destroys the game's strategy. They should patch the game and AT LEAST give it a cool-down time between focus uses, increasing it proportionally to the game difficulty. Or at least they should decrease the point bonuses for attack and executions when using focus. Since they still haven't put up the leaderboards I don't think people would make an issue out of it.
It wouldn't be much of a problem if I could start a Legendary run with no upgrades, but there's no option for it.
What a bummer.
Well, at least there's still the multiplayer. I'm seriously debating whether to buy the season pass or not.

Is anyone else's gameclips for this always come out laggy? I have like maybe 10 or so, and all bout 1 are unwatchable due to the video lag.

Try this: rest the cursor on the clip until it starts showing a preview of it, then select the clip. It shouldn't slow down once you do that. Also, go back on the menu using the specific button ("back to My clips") instead of pushing B if that's what you are doing, because I think the console basically keeps streaming the clip if you jump back to the My clips page with the B button.

Most people I've talked to have enjoyed this, and EB is out of stock. I'm just wondering if reviewers are jaded and out of touch with the average person?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Most people I've talked to have enjoyed this, and EB is out of stock. I'm just wondering if reviewers are jaded and out of touch with the average person?

Haha, sounds like a pretty accurate description of a (modern video game) review to me.

Personally, the reviews confirm everything that concerns me with a game like this. Combat, variety, replayability, etc. and the desensitising gore doesn't really appeal to my tastes. However, I don't consider myself the "average" gamer, and with most (launch) games, if you think you're the type who'll get a good time out of it, no review should convince you otherwise.

Yeah. While the game was a joy and I had fun for the entire run... I would love to see a sequel where everything is slightly more fleshed out + longer campaign.

Just give me some kind of RPG.
If the next game is something like Skyrim in this cryengine i will cry(tek) tears of joy..

Just finished chapter 6 and I gotta say, I really don't see why this game got slaughtered by reviewers and had so much negativity attached to it. It's not perfect by any means but I'm starting to feel like it didn't really get a fair shake. I've had a blast playing it though, even to the point where I'd say it's my favorite launch title.

Will probably finish the last 2 chapters tomorrow. Really interested to see where the story goes. Overall though the game is really great. My only real complaint is that I wish Crytek had included more downtime/exploration in the game, especially while in Rome. Would have loved to see a lot more of the beautiful city they recreated.

golem

Finished it.. was a pretty fun game. Got a little repetitive at the end but the series has potential. Really liked the few places it opened up the level for exploration, maybe they can take the sequel more in an Action RPG direction.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Just give me some kind of RPG.
If the next game is something like Skyrim in this cryengine i will cry(tek) tears of joy..

A Game-of-Thrones game made with that engine.

Believe.

(Yeah, won't happen. :-( )

A Game-of-Thrones game made with that engine.

Believe.

(Yeah, won't happen. :-( )

Hope they give the sequel to the Darksiders guys those guys have experience with RPG and Open maps or openworld(?) not sure anymore if darksiders is open world or sectioned off world.

Mylene

this game is really incredible, easy to get into but really difficult to master. You really need to have finesse and accuracy to take on 3+ enemies at the same time chaining combos, dodging and countering back to back to back. It's an incredible feeling if you get into a "flow" with the fighting, going between doing the "correct" combos to break guard and linking it with the show execution window on harder enemies.

I've only played about 3 levels on single player but spent 90% of my time so far in multiplayer soloing the arenas. Just reached lvl 19 and unlocked a couple tier 3 items.

Another thing people don't mention much is the sound and music. I just love cranking up the surround sound system and feel like i'm in the middle of a gladiator match with the crowd cheering. Will upload some videos tomorrow when my hdmi splitter comes in.

I think this game really tried hard to appeal to a broad audience, on the surface it seems like a simple game but i think if you really understand it, it is quite deep.

From my experience playing on gladiator solo mode, it's quite difficult to not get hit and keep a continuous "dance"going, trying to perfect timing on attacking, blocking, countering, comboing, executing and keeping the combo meter from running out.

-PXG-

I'm really liking this so far. You really should play on Centurion to appreciate the combat. It's simple, yet deep. A few more enemy types wouldn't hurt, but it's still a fun experience. I had no idea there were that many coop levels either. Of course it's drop dead gorgeous. Ryse and Killzone are feasts for the eyes.

Like Knack, this is yet another launch title that got undeserved hate. It's a good game. Critics really need to sit the fuck down.

Prine

Banned
Good to hear others are enjoying this. I remember Kameo being panned now its reflected upon as a gem, i have the same feeling about this.

Fingers crossed, Crytek get another shot at this.

For the GLORY OF ROME! (And hopefully we visit Constantinople next)

I'm really liking this so far. You really should play on Centurion to appreciate the combat. It's simple, yet deep. A few more enemy types wouldn't hurt, but it's still a fun experience. I had no idea there were that many coop levels either. Of course it's drop dead gorgeous. Ryse and Killzone are feasts for the eyes.

Like Knack, this is yet another launch title that got undeserved hate. It's a good game. Critics really need to sit the fuck down.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
this game is really incredible, easy to get into but really difficult to master. You really need to have finesse and accuracy to take on 3+ enemies at the same time chaining combos, dodging and countering back to back to back. It's an incredible feeling if you get into a "flow" with the fighting, going between doing the "correct" combos to break guard and linking it with the show execution window on harder enemies.

It is indeed a good feeling. However, it is not that challenging once you know your enemies. You can defeat them every time with the same rather simple combo (e.g. Y, X, X, Y, X, X for those "fat Britons" with the shields). Everything else boils down to having an eye on the crowd, spotting the next attacker and using the combo that applies to him. Enemies with that "red glowing" attack are the most challenging since you have to have perfect timing, but once you get it, you can reproduce it easily. The bosses in particular are pretty easy.

Lebron

Try this: rest the cursor on the clip until it starts showing a preview of it, then select the clip. It shouldn't slow down once you do that. Also, go back on the menu using the specific button ("back to My clips") instead of pushing B if that's what you are doing, because I think the console basically keeps streaming the clip if you jump back to the My clips page with the B button.

The lag could be a temporary hiccup on bandwith Lebron; try again. I had that issue once and then no more.

Here is my first-ever-game clip! I love the Gladiator Mode, it is insanely fun.

http://sdrv.ms/1fC4nLk

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.

Edit: Resting the cursor on the clip till it started showing fixed it. Thanks!

Personally, I think they have been overly harsh on these games because they don't really offer anything new and the gameplay for both are undoubtedly repititive and rather shallow. I think 6-7 looks pretty fair for either from a critical standpoint. Obviously that doesn't mean that people can enjoy it a lot more than the review seems to indicate. Ryse has absolutely top production and visuals, and the narrative is reasonably entertaining. I mean I recently completed Beyond and I might actualy prefer it to TLoU, but it certainly didn't review as well. Ryse is kind of up my alley because I quite like cinematic games. However, stuff like the Witcher series are bringing together cinematic gaming and a lot of gameplay options and choices...this is where I want next gen to go.

Widge

I don't think so. Reviewers are less likely to be swayed by a bit of razzle dazzle. These people haven't suddenly lost their ability to critique a game overnight as a wave of new hardware comes in.

You'd be surprised how a console launch and a limited array of games can cause you to uprank games in estimation.

pixlexic

Banned
I don't think so. Reviewers are less likely to be swayed by a bit of razzle dazzle. These people haven't suddenly lost their ability to critique a game overnight as a wave of new hardware comes in.

You'd be surprised how a console launch and a limited array of games can cause you to uprank games in estimation.

That's bs .. Most reviewers have to go through a ton of games this time of the year. We always get reviews of games that they only played the first level or only played for 10 mins.

Top Bottom