• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Quality kinda sucks, this is a screencap from the video.

ibstiHx24JkQHL.png

You mus to upload it from Xbone and then share link from here
https://skydrive.live.com

Yeah i already uploaded and everything, i just don't see the sharing link, let me see if i can find.

Future

Pacing is definitely a drag. Fight fight fight with every fight the almost same. Slow executions drag them out too which loses the arkham flavor of punchiness. Little bit of challenge I guess since there are no icons telling you when to parry like creed and arkham, but rules are the same. Parry light attacks, dodge heavy, break block when necessary. I do like the super kick when in focus mode

But damn might be the best looking next gen game.

Pacing is definitely a drag. Fight fight fight with every fight the almost same. Slow executions drag them out too which loses the arkham flavor of punchiness. Little bit of challenge I guess since there are no icons telling you when to parry like creed and arkham, but rules are the same. Parry light attacks, dodge heavy, break block when necessary. I do like the super kick when in focus mode

But damn might be the best looking next gen game.

The single player in this and the mp in KZ are the two most impressive aspects visually that we are getting at launch.

eshwaaz

In Chapter 5 now, still really enjoying myself. Combat has become more challenging, as the game now throws a greater variety of enemies into every encounter, forcing you to stay on your toes and think about how to handle each enemy. It is not viable to just stand there and counter.

Also pleased with the diversity of environments. Even if the action is repetitive, the environments help to keep things fresh, and they're all gorgeous.

A lot of people think this game deserves to fail. I genuinely hope sales are respectable, at least.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I can't for the life of me figure out how to throw a spear in combat though.

Isn't it the left bumper?

In Chapter 5 now, still really enjoying myself. Combat has become more challenging, as the game now throws a greater variety of enemies into every encounter, forcing you to stay on your toes and think about how to handle each enemy. It is not viable to just stand there and counter.

Also pleased with the diversity of environments. Even if the action is repetitive, the environments help to keep things fresh, and they're all gorgeous.

A lot of people think this game deserves to fail. I genuinely hope sales are respectable, at least.

Based on the activity in this thread and most people's launch day pick up I am thinking its tracking substantially behind DR3 and Forza.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm really enjoying this game so far. I can't for the life of me figure out how to throw a spear in combat though.

When you get pilum it will be explained to you. It's not something you can do whenever. Also like real pilum they work perfect for taking shields away from enemies.

Cant You get closer? :p
Also if You have it on PC, You can upload it to Youtube :)
Got Leontius, i'll see if i can get closer.

ib1VvLxSPjSf3p.png

For now this is the best quality until they include a png screencap feature. But the game looks nothing like this, it looks way more clean.

mjc

The gameplay is definitely vanilla but I'm enjoying the game nonetheless. Definitely not a garbage game.

Unstable

I'm Loving the hell out of this game, for what it is at least. I still can't get over how absolutely beautiful this game is.

For the life of me, I can't get used to blocking with the "A" button though.

Not sure I really understand all the criticism of the gameplay, maybe i'll feel different when I get nearer the end but theres light attacks (x/y), parry (a) roll (b), also heavy attacks (hold X or Y). I didn't know about the heavy attacks until just now when the game told me I could do them. The spears you can pick up and use to fire at enemies although they have a long aim/fire time to get them at maximum damage.

Executions look great do them quite a lot but not always, not using focus much yet.

Also the upgrade stuff in single player is nice although they don't seem to require much in the way of valour or gold? Unlocked 3/4 on health in the second chapter, perhaps they should have increased the valour needed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
To answer the OP, no, not really. Very pretty game but incredibly boring. I feel like it is designed to be played in 2-3 minute bursts at a time. Just not much variety in gameplay. Very nice art though.

Zafir

I'm Loving the hell out of this game, for what it is at least. I still can't get over how absolutely beautiful this game is.

For the life of me, I can't get used to blocking with the "A" button though.
Hah, I can't get used to block being A either. Such an odd button choice for a block in my opinion.

Just completed it anyway. Enjoyed it more than I thought, combat was pretty fun, and it looks gorgeous. Was shorter than I expected mind you, must have clocked in at about 7 hours.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Here's my take on the much-maligned combat of RYSE: it's as cool as you want it to be. You can cruise through normal for sure and just hack away and you're done and that would be, indeed, sub-mediocrity personified.

But played on the hardest difficulty, where perks become strategic, the system encourages perfect strikes, counters and finishers. Taking out a group of barbarians is wholly satisfying when you can string together these inputs and the result is a nifty piece of cinematic bad-assery.

Combined with the gorgeous tech, slo-mo, zooms and glorious facial expressions (can't overstate how much of a difference this makes in a hack and slash!), the experience is a memorable one.

Thumbs up!

More

iXt7SI1pCs5CT.png

ibwAlitkFJp1q8.png

I like the story so far, and the music is incredible. The combat is very repetitive though, that's the only negative i could find so far, but i haven't unlocked any extra finishers yet.

I started the campaign on Centurion, and I thought it was bad (at least the first two chapters). The game is designed around the assumption that the player is either stupid or has never played games like this before.

I then tried the arena in solo mode, and I thought it was great. This game seems to thrive when you are facing like 10 guys and a few elite enemies and when you are fighting enemies with different strengths and weaknesses. It is only good if you are juggling all of the mechanics and the crowd's entertainment level as well. Fighting a group of elite enemies when you don't have any focus left is pretty challenging as well.

Halvie

Banned
Don't really care what the reviews say, this game is fun and has a ton of potential for a future sequel. Like a couple others have already said, arena solo mode is great!

Really enjoying this game so far. Part of it is launch title goggles, part of it is the visceral combat. Can't say it won't get a bit repetitive, but it's a great xbox one showpiece.

Does anyone know where I can find nice high quality videos that are downloadable to watch, apart from Gamersyde? The Saving Private Ryan type scene at the beginning of the second chapter looks f'ing insane on just a 1080p youtube video. I can only imagine how amazing it looks to actually play.

I despise it but I can understand the appeal. It is criminal Senjutsu that you don't have this game. If I was rolling in dough I would get it for you.

I actually do have it. A very cool producer on the Ryse team personally sent me a copy after hearing about my family situation, and that I had to cancel my system and game pre-orders as a result. They even tossed in a really cool, limited edition book (which they and other team members signed) about the game along with a t-shirt also.

So, I have the game. I'm just lacking a console at the moment, which I likely won't be able to afford until around April or May next year. And from lots of gameplay footage I've seen, it seems a lot of people don't realize that you can combo faster and more effectively by occasionally alternating between the X and Y button. The shield push doesn't just serve as a tool for opening an enemy's defenses. The player can also wield it a number of ways as part of their combination attack. It's very much a weapon for attack also. I've seen the shield used as part of a spinning backhand attack, I've seen it swung wildly to hit enemies in the face etc. I think that's part of the reason the character's weight is distributed the way it is after a lot of the sword attacks. At that point the quickest possible way to land another attack on the opponent is to follow up with the shield, because trying again with the sword is slower because it requires the character to reposition ever so slightly to launch the next sword attack, and thus gives them time to recover and block or dodge. I assume this is mitigated some if you land perfect hits, though.

The irony of giving out combat advice without being able to play it personally :p

jergrah

I'm really having a blast with this game. It's 300 x Spartacus, which is great to me. Chaining blocks, parrys, kills, etc feels fantastic to me.

Slasher whats Your setup? What are You using on PC?

You can just take screenshots with FRAPS from capture card application.

And upload PNGs to minus.com

Using Elgato. I have fraps but doesn't seem to be showing the capture frames when I try using it in combination with Elgato program. Need to see if I can figure another way out.

Zyae

Playing on the hardest difficulty, its not bad. But it really needs a real combo system. Im going to finish it by playing it in short bursts. Good foundation for a fully realized sequel

So how are people enjoying the coop.
After finishing campaign i went to a bar with friends and played some bf4 multi afterwards.

Gonna try some coop later i think.

KKRT00

Using Elgato. I have fraps but doesn't seem to be showing the capture frames when I try using it in combination with Elgato program. Need to see if I can figure another way out.

Can You output Elgato broadcast in other applications? Like in Media Player or VirtualDub?

------
Ok i know how can You do it.

Download FRAPS and Open Broadcast Software. Add Elgato device and then use Preview Streaming.
In preview streaming You can capture and make shots with FRAPS. I just tested it, it definitely works.

RMB na screen and use Full Screen Preview Mode

You must disable encoding when in Preview Mode.

Can You output Elgato broadcast in other applications? Like in Media Player or VirtualDub?

------
Ok i know how can You do it.

Download FRAPS and Open Broadcast Software. Add Elgato device and then use Preview Streaming.
In preview streaming You can capture and make shots with FRAPS. I just tested it, it definitely works.

Gotta go to a wedding, but will try this when I get home. Thanks man!

Top Bottom