• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

JimiNutz

Banned
Glad people are enjoying this, may pick it up in a month or two but at the moment Im finding it hard to put down Forza...

This game got totally robbed in the reviews and I hope that doesn't prevent a sequel down the road because I've had a fantastic time with it. There is much more depth to the combat than it was given credit for if you really try to master it and set up multiple executions, etc. And yeah it's largely combat based but there's actually quite a few cool segments that break that up.

I can understand people not liking the genre and having differing tastes but I really don't see how anyone could justify totally trashing this game. I play this and Knack and I seriously wonder what some of the reviewers were smoking. Both are undeniably good 8/10 games to me and I can't see giving either less than a 7.

I've had a fantastic time with it as well. I'm genuinely enjoying the spectacle and the combat hasn't worn thin on me yet. The brutality and "crunch" of the combat continues to just be so satisfying. While there isn't a ton of combat versatility, I find trying to keep my combo chains going and pulling off dual executions to be enjoyable enough to offer enough depth to last for what sounds like a relatively short campaign.

More importantly though, I'm just hoping for Ryse 2. There's enough of a foundation here for them to start really laying the ground work for a deeper combat system, maybe more intricate platforming and puzzles, maybe a little less linearity ala the Arkham series...

Scores seem about right for me, but "mind numbingly dull" chants are just something I'm not seeing at all thus far.

cripterion

Have the last 3 chapters to finish in legendary mode, did some co-op as well last night, definitely don't regret buying this even though I wish there was more...more enemy variety, more executions, more levels, more bosses, more characters, more models, weapons etc...

Yes the game is good so makes me wish there was some more lol

atrox

Neo Member
Went into Ryse with low expectations due to the reviews and I knew the combat would be repetitive. Really surprised with how much I enjoyed the game after my first playthough. Started up a new game on Legendary and been playing some multiplayer. Still not done with it.

Goliath

Yea this is the only game on the Xbox one that I wish I could play on the PS4. I couldn't care less for Dead Rising 3 but this game looks like the kind of game I would like.

Anyone who played MP like to comment on gameplay and how microtransactions affect it, if (hopefully) not at all?

You can buy gold using micro transactions and the gold is used to buy packs in game (what you get depends on which tier you buy etc) if you put the time in you won't need to use micro transactions same with any game.

I haven't bothered to look at it and won't as I don't wish to spend the money. For some reason the single player gives you Valor which is used to buy stuff but doesn't seem like the upgrades in single player are that expensive and you can't convert that to gold, bit odd.

Ubersnug

Completed Ryse last night and I really enjoyed it. Even started messing with the MP mode and I'm suprised at how much it's grabbed me (so much so that I'm neglecting battlefield 4 a bit).

The game won't win any awards or anything, but I feel the criticism it it for being dull was largely injustified. I had a great time with Ryse, and not because I'm starved for anything else to play. The combat really grabbed me and it does seem to have a hidden depth alot of reviews seems to have neglected to even mention. The graphics were just incredible too. Suppose you could say I came for the graphics but stayed for the combat!

I asked this in another thread, but anyone having any issues with the DVR? I asked it to save the previous 3 minutes of footage, but it only saved 30 odd seconds worth. This was after a good 30 minutes of gaming by this point.

Netprints

I just beat the SP last night and it was fairly enjoyable. Some stuff got pretty repetitive but the story, animation, and voice acting was really good. I played some MP too and one thing I do not like about it is that it feels like a grind to level up. They need to adjust the rank or add challenges that reward you for xp EX(do two double execution in the arena). Overall not a bad game.

pixlexic

Banned
Cutscenes were recorded as videos, because of production time constrains and to hide loading.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1810379&postcount=982

I just hope, they were recorded from Xbone itself, but they'll probably clarify that in future tech presentations.
Last cutscene with Besylus [?] looks out of this world. This one should be real-time, just to showcase hardware and tech.

You can tell when it is fmv because it's not as clean as in engine. You can see compression artifacts here and there ..
In engine looks better.

Ubersnug

Same. I'm pleasantly surprised with the positive reception here. Will definitely pick it up next year on the cheap along with an Xbox One.

Yep, I agree with this.

The gear is either cosmetic or boosts to XP, focus etc. but using the starting gear won't leave you at a disadvantage In any way. You can also use the microtransactions to unlock all the additional executions and bonus life/focus etc in single player.

The problem with the game is it got rated and treated like it was a turd/broken game and it isn't. For the type of people that like the genre, it's fairly fun, has some amazing visuals, combat that's good enough, and mp that isn't so bad either. It does a few things really well... It reminds me of my time when played the first Assassins Creed. Game was awesome to look at, had a cool new engine, but it was lacking in mission variety, and substance. AC 2 came out and just totally destroyed 1 imo. I hope that Ryse 2 can do the same.

Calibus

Will pick up when cheaper or if free on MS's PSN+ clone service, and (of course) once I get my XB1. The facial animations look godly.

jem0208

The pretty positive reception to this game is like music to my ears. I seriously can't wait to try it out for myself.

When do you think you are going to pick up an X1?

I'd love to hear your impressions (even though I think you've already decided ;P) because I'm still on the fence.

When do you think you are going to pick up an X1?

I'd love to hear your impressions (even though I think you've already decided ;P) because I'm still on the fence.

Oh man, that's going to be awhile lol. We're talking April or May next year at the soonest. I've really had to break the bank, and thus set myself back quite a bit to try and take care of family related matters. It's not impossible that I could afford one sooner, but it would come at great risk of not meeting other more vital financial obligations, so the most responsible thing to do is wait it out till things are looking better on my end.

And, oh yea, no doubt. I knew almost instinctively that I would like this game. I've always been a pretty fantastic judge when it comes to selecting games that I'm certain to enjoy. The fact that so many other gaffers are enjoying it, too, just further adds to my strong beliefs about this game, and just really cements my excitement. Plus, absolutely losing my mind with anticipation to get hands on with the game myself, I've been looking at footage of the game since release, and it's looking every bit like the game I expected it to be, and possibly a bit more. In fact, the worst part has been me watching the videos of the game and reacting like a crazy sports fan watching a game of football or basketball lol. "No, no, what're you doing!? Use the shield, the shield!" or "Take it easy, let the fight come to you more. And, come on, mix it up. Expand your attack radius, don't just focus on one guy!" :)

jem0208

Oh man, that's going to be awhile lol. We're talking April or May next year at the soonest. I've really had to break the bank, and thus set myself back quite a bit to try and take care of family related matters. It's not impossible that I could afford one sooner, but it would come at great risk of not meeting other more vital financial obligations, so the most responsible thing to do is wait it out till things are looking better on my end..

Damn :(

Well, I really hope this game lives up to your expectations.

Doodis

Played about an hour of this over the weekend. It's beautiful and so far seems fun. I obviously have a lot to get through, but so far I'm surprised at the low scores it got.

Damn :(

Well, I really hope this game lives up to your expectations.

At the very least from impressions, and from watching footage since release, I see myself having a pretty good time. I figure if I enjoy it this much while watching others play, it should only get better when I'm finally in control.

Just finished my first run through on Centurion, sooo good.

Surprised there weren't more boss battles really but I thought the ones with the Minotaur leader/Commodus/Boudica were a lot more tactical, shielding etc that I didn't use as much earlier on.

Also sad that Marius died but the way they left the game definitely sounds like a Final Fantasy type thing with "Knights of England" rumours, i'd be pleased if the series went through different periods etc, like Assassins Creed only without the stupid modern day stuff.

Im definitely in for more Ryse, don't understand the complaints from reviews, seemed like a lot of people just wanted something to pan. Game looks great and plays great.

I must have missed this, did not realise you could get upgrades to executions... only got 22k Valor left so can't unlock them all now >.<

Has anyone played on legendary yet? The part right after your storm the beach where you need to take the archers on the rooftops out with pilas before they shoot your legion defending you is, I think literally impossible. Pilas now take two shots to kill a standard archer and you have to charge up the shot which takes longer now and can be interrupted. I've tried this maybe a dozen times before quitting. This is really stupid. I'm guessing no one play tested this or I'm doing something horribly wrong

Astroroot

Banned
That is just an example of you not liking a good game lol. I love Too Human but it isn't a good game. I dont like Street Fighter 4 and that game is great.
I enjoyed Too Human as well, but it wasn't a good game. It was a good game until I found out that they scaled enemies to whatever level you were. The point of leveling up is to feel like a bad ass, but the game ruined that.

The problems with Ryse seem to be that it's not a $60 game. If it were $40, I'm betting that the reviews would have been better. I really want to play the game but it's just not worth $60.

skc

Banned
I kind of feel sorry for game reviewers. It's a tough job because whereas normal customers are easily able to sidestep flaws and get drawn into simply having fun, a reviewers job is to effectively do the opposite.

It's not a fun thing to do, constantly taking note of all the flaws and fitting them to a score.

ghibli99

I kind of feel sorry for game reviewers. It's a tough job because whereas normal customers are easily able to sidestep flaws and get drawn into simply having fun, a reviewers job is to effectively do the opposite.

It's not a fun thing to do, constantly taking note of all the flaws and fitting them to a score.
I've seen a lot of reviews that brush off flaws because they found the game to be so much fun. Launch titles carry a heavy burden since expectations are elevated due to it being new hardware.

Astroroot

Banned
Stephen King's novels aren't necessarily fantastic pieces of literature. Somewhere along the line he decided to not seek to push genres and make stories that warrant large critical discussion.

Does that mean his novels are bad? No. It's quite fine to enjoy his books for what they are. Ryse is the equivalent of a Stephen King novel to me.

Or a summer blockbuster movie. Iron Man 3 won't win any Academy Awards but it was a good summer movie. The only difference is that Iron Man 3 didn't cost $60.

ahartig

Anyone seen this execution? I've been playing a lot (single-player mainly) and never seen this one until last night in multi-player.

http://sdrv.ms/1c55xM9

That is one awesome double execution, I have never seen it but I'm only on Chapter 3.

Playing on hard (centurion) mode and the game is a blast. Timing and getting into a "flow" during combat is incredibly fun. Not sure why the reviews were so negative, I'm have a a great time and I highly recommend it.

madmackem

Wow finished this, its erm real real short, i played it on the highest level you could from the off and looked for every collectable in the game and clock said less than 5 hours.

Anyone managed to play the arena, i just get couldnt connect to the host and booted back out.

Wow finished this, its erm real real short, i played it on the highest level you could from the off and looked for every collectable in the game and clock said less than 5 hours.

Anyone managed to play the arena, i just get couldnt connect to the host and booted back out.

I thought it was about 7? Didn't really have any restarts to do either.

Got into a private arena game too with a friend too which was good.

I just played Flower the other day for the first time on PS4 and it got me thinking. Yes it was a very pretty game, and calming. Yet it's gameplay was significantly limited, repetative, and it was over before you knew it. Yet reviewers loved it. Granted the price of entry was cheap and the time to complete it was rather short, it got me thinking.

Ryse, for the issues it has and the improvements it needs,is still a solid fun experience even if it overstays it's welcome just a bit. Yet at the same time, I wouldn't disagree with anyone who wanted to play it just to see the impressive vistas and moments the game does offer. I think in this case, for some people it totally justifies their purchase. Either way I can see why this is a love it/hate it affair for most and I respect your reasons for whichever line you stand behind but it just goes to show the be all, end all review scores defintely should be taken with a grain of salt always and forever imo.

sangreal

man, legendary is no joke

They should disable the color prompts for legendary though. You should already know foot/shield = Y, Sword = X by then

REV 09

Really enjoying the game and mp so far. I'd probably give it a 7, but it's an interesting 7...new ip, fresh setting, just something different.

I just completed Ryse on Centurion difficulty earlier today and mirroring the consensus here I must say it was an incredible experience. The game isn't perfect by any means but for the moments when everything comes together it is truly outstanding and intensely enjoyable. I honestly don't think some of the reviewers were playing the same game because there is simply no way that Ryse is 5 - 6 / 10 game. It disappoints, saddens and sickens me all at the same time.

The single player campaign felt a good length for an action based hack 'n' slash on the Centurion (Hard) difficulty which I would recommend as it forces you to invest more in the combat system which has been heavily slated but is solid and has far more depth than you expect at first glance, probably because you are left to figure it out by yourself with the exception of a brief training session at the beginning of the game.

The visuals have to be seen to be believed with incredible use of geometry and lighting as well as the quality of textures and in game assets. I often found myself in game just wandering round looking at things like statues and mosaic floor tiles as I couldn't believe what the One was pushing real time. Only Shenmue on the Dreamcast has wowed me visually as much on a console and that is as high a praise as my humble mind can fathom.

I hope Crytek are not disheartened by the bad reviews and decide to make a sequel because with a little fine tuning they will have a serious hit on their hands. I would rate this game after finishing the single player campaign and playing 10+ hours in multi-player as a very solid 8 / 10.

Negatives as I see them:
Campaign fairly short
Linear
Not enough enemy variety and I would like to see a greater selection of weapons for the protagonist
Villains in campaign not fleshed out enough for me

golem

man, legendary is no joke

They should disable the color prompts for legendary though. You should already know foot/shield = Y, Sword = X by then

Yeah I was wondering if legendary did that.. they should have made it that way. Also I would have liked a mode with no slo-mo executions, just for speed running/feeling like a badass

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I was accidentally sent Ryse instead of Dead Rising 3 and I'm glad it happened. The game is pretty fun and nowhere near as bad as some of the reviewers make out. If I hadn't have been sent it in error I never would have given it a chance.

Top Bottom