• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

derFeef

I was accidentally sent Ryse instead of Dead Rising 3 and I'm glad it happened. The game is pretty fun and nowhere near as bad as some of the reviewers make out. If I hadn't have been sent it in error I never would have given it a chance.

Dead Rysing.

I just started playing ryse and i read on here i should start it on the hardest difficulty.

Seems like good advice and the game looks great.

Will i regret it?

Mediocre?? Not from what i can tell so far.

Unity2012

I am so glad to see that more and more people are enjoying the game.

Now lets get some MP gladiator mode games going.

GT: Unity2012

ShdwDrake

Banned
Played it by a friends house. Its not as bad as reviews make it seem. Yeah the combat is really 1 trick pony and the game is really easy (even on hard) and they dont really do much to mix it up. But what they have is still fun to play and looks great. Alot of the voicework is really well done as well. It gets tedious towards the end but the story is good enough that you dont feel like your just trudging through. The online is terribad tho and the game is only 8 hrs.

cripterion

Finished again in legendary mode, love it even more with the extra challenge. Marius is such a badass, wish they would have fleshed out his story a bit more, say, have an extra prequel chapter or two that served as an intro as to what he was about before going back to see his father.
I'm at 81% done with the achievements, haven't found all the chronicles and vistas but I'll attack multiplayer next. Do all the executions unlocked get carried in the multi?

malfcn

Wow finished this, its erm real real short, i played it on the highest level you could from the off and looked for every collectable in the game and clock said less than 5 hours.

Anyone managed to play the arena, i just get couldnt connect to the host and booted back out.

Where can you see a clock?
Also, my DVR clips never go to Skydrive. :(

malfcn

they dont go to skydrive by default. you have to open upload (not upload studio -- dont get me started) and then upload them from there

I tell the videos to go to Skydrive, but they never show up. What is weird is when I go to Skydrive, it says I have 2 files (which is how many I uploaded) but nothing is actually there.

ChrisV

I just beat it and really enjoyed it. Took about 6 or 7 hours. Definitely worth it. I don't care for the multiplayer, so I'm pretty much done with it. If anyone wants it, let me know. I'll let it go for $45 shipped. (It's a Day One Edition, but the code has been scanned already).

iv8zUXsgJ4JMH.png

Going to repost this and hopefully get an answer iright now I'm stuck

Has anyone played on legendary yet? The part right after your storm the beach where you need to take the archers on the rooftops out with pilas before they shoot your legion defending you is, I think literally impossible. Pilas now take two shots to kill a standard archer and you have to charge up the shot which takes longer now and can be interrupted. I've tried this maybe a dozen times before quitting. This is really stupid. I'm guessing no one play tested this or I'm doing something horribly wrong

ekim

Wow. The forest level and the one after it looked amazing. I can't really follow the story though and can't attribute the characters to their correct side.

sangreal

Has anyone played on legendary yet? The part right after your storm the beach where you need to take the archers on the rooftops out with pilas before they shoot your legion defending you is, I think literally impossible. Pilas now take two shots to kill a standard archer and you have to charge up the shot which takes longer now and can be interrupted. I've tried this maybe a dozen times before quitting. This is really stupid. I'm guessing no one play tested this or I'm doing something horribly wrong

I passed this part but it was a pain in the ass, yeah. Hold LT while behind cover to draw pols and then pop out while holding RT. If arrow comes at you just duck back behind cover but don't let go of LT

You only need to buy enough time for the archers to show up so you can fire a volley

Ricker

Well if SlasherJPC and Karak say it's good,that's enough for me,getting this when I get the One next year,glad others are enjoying it also :p ;)

Tsukumo

I passed this part but it was a pain in the ass, yeah. Hold LT while behind cover to draw pols and then pop out while holding RT. If arrow comes at you just duck back behind cover but don't let go of LT

You only need to buy enough time for the archers to show up so you can fire a volley

That's how I did too. As soon as you get the "fire volley" prompt get yourself in cover and press RB.
Otherwise you can quickfire the spears, but keep in mind that the to reach the first wave of archers you have to stay on the elevated stair, and as soon as the second wave appears on the rooftops you have to go down and rack up some spears. The ones on the ground will keep respawning no matter what (the ones impaled on soldiers won't), so you can abuse the quickfire as much as you want.

Ricky_R

I don't like God of War because I find it just a bit monotonous. Would people who enjoy Ryse say I wouldn't like that either?

Well if we go by monotonous specifically, I'm pretty sure (without playing Ryse) that you will not enjoy it.

The fact that GOW is based on Greek mythology, has numerous types of enemies each a with a different finishing move, more weapons with different moves and attacks, epic boss battles, etc. I can say for certain that going by Ryse's reviews from critics and users, you will not get a less monotonous gameplay experience from Ryse compared to GOW's

Tsukumo

is there a way to tell which difficulty you're playing on I thought I started on the hardest but now I can tell.

I'm on the same boat. Not only you can't check the difficulty level but the game isn't unlocking the cheevos to me. Are you having the same issue?

I'm on the same boat. Not only you can't check the difficulty level but the game isn't unlocking the cheevos to me. Are you having the same issue?

Well I started a new game and I swear I put it on legendary but I am just kicking so much ass and not having any problems I'm starting to think I somehow put it on easy lol. Yet I can't tell how to check so it's driving me nuts.

Not near the console at the moment but is the difficulty not in the top right hand corner? I thought I saw it there.

I regret starting the game on the easiest difficulty level. I basically decided I was going to give it a quick play through for the visuals since the game wasn't received very well by the press.

Game is great, even on easy. Hope it gets a sequel.

Damn near beat it now and critics be damned. I really enjoyed it. Now to finish up.

This is what I like to see. Only thing that really ever matters at the end of the day is what you personally think about a game, and I'm pleased to see it looking more and more like a lot of people were totally justified to not get scared off by reviewer opinions. Seeing how positive the overall reception has been only adds to my own excitement for when I finally get to play it myself

This is what I like to see. Only thing that really ever matters at the end of the day is what you personally think about a game, and I'm pleased to see it looking more and more like a lot of people were totally justified to not get scared off by reviewer opinions. Seeing how positive the overall reception has been only adds to my own excitement for when I finally get to play it myself

I can only assume that reviewers played it on easy/normal, and I think i'd probably find most game pretty boring on very low difficulty settings but playing it on centurion is definitely the way to go. Will start my Legendary play through this week at some point.

I can only assume that reviewers played it on easy/normal, and I think i'd probably find most game pretty boring on very low difficulty settings but playing it on centurion is definitely the way to go. Will start my Legendary play through this week at some point.

What's funny is that even before it released, I was saying precisely this: that Centurion would probably be the ideal level to play this game on. I remember watching the twitch stream of the 'Saving Private Marius' level from the game, and I came away liking what I saw a lot. It looked beautiful, really badass and like something I would enjoy, but it was pretty obvious to see that cranking the difficulty to Centurion would probably enhance my enjoyment. It's simple, this game's combat, but it always struck me as looking like it could be quite enjoyable and satisfying. And the impressive graphics and strong production value with the appearance of an interesting or fairly solid story certainly don't hurt, either.

Eoin

What's funny is that even before it released, I was saying precisely this: that Centurion would probably be the ideal level to play this game on. I remember watching the twitch stream of the 'Saving Private Marius' level from the game, and I came away liking what I saw a lot. It looked beautiful, really badass and like something I would enjoy, but it was pretty obvious to see that cranking the difficulty to Centurion would probably enhance my enjoyment. It's simple, this game's combat, but it always struck me as looking like it could be quite enjoyable and satisfying. And the impressive graphics and strong production value with the appearance of an interesting or fairly solid story certainly don't hurt, either.
Too be fair Crytek has to shoulder a lot of the blame.By making the standard difficulty too easy and boring they fucked up. Most people and reviewers play games on normal and if it's not engaging you're going to be in trouble.

Just finished the game on centurion myself and so far it's my favourite launch game out of Forza, KI and Fifa. Really enjoyed the story and the combat got more and more fun as they added new enemies with different traits and attack styles. Going to replay it on Legendary and then boot up some co-op.

cripterion

Yep I finished it on legendary and what I do for the archer parts is a lot of dodge, block arrows, get as close to them as possible, get the right orientation and quick throw pilas (aiming takes way too long).

Yes i am also stuck in that part. As soon as the "fire volley" prompt appears it is instantly game over for me lol. I think the only way is to get at least one or two full capsules for the slow-mo and throwing the pilums without charging. I'll try it soon.

Atsumi

Well I started a new game and I swear I put it on legendary but I am just kicking so much ass and not having any problems I'm starting to think I somehow put it on easy lol. Yet I can't tell how to check so it's driving me nuts.

I'm still in my first play through on what I think is Centurion, but I'm having the same problem. Usually I steer clear of the harder difficulties because I get so frustrated. This one? Not a problem. (I'm on level VII)

A while. Took me about 1.5hours to get from lvl 0 to halfway through lvl 2.

Yeh, its going to take ages, haha. I like the multiplayer but I don't understand why it stops after round 2? I'd have preferred it if they'd have just had varying amounts of enemies until there was tons of them near a level 5 or 10 or something (unless i've missed something)

Jsheldon

I purchased a copy and the season pass dlc online ad my only hope is that they address some of the concerns with future dlc. Ideally flesh out the character a bit more with side missions for single player, and mix up the MP component by adding different fighting styles ) ability to have 2 swords etc). And local couch co op would have been a dream come true.

Even without the wish list I've enjoyed what I've played so far!

Top Bottom