• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

R3TRODYCE

Just beat the single player and my god I enjoyed this more than I probably should have; It's one of my favorite games this year.

Hawk269

I love the fact that the new consoles allow us to capture these moments with ease and then upload to share. So awesome.

Not as impressive, but I was surprised to find dragonflies flitting about while playing last night:

http://sdrv.ms/Ijc1fb

I'm really enjoying this game. I've said it before, but I'm still surprised by the low reviews.

There are more than just dragon flies around. There are a lot of small details that can easily be missed if you don't stop to smell the flowers.

this is my fave launch game on XB1 - i laugh at the low reviews and detractors who havent even played the game. It is the best looking game on next gen consoles hands down and even though its only around 7 hours long - i enjoyed it so much. No filler, all action and so much fun.

im saying "xbox record that" every 5 mins or so.

SaucyJack

Not surprised by the low reviews at all, a rental game if ever there was one.

Finished the game in a little under 6 hours and, although pretty, it was fairly boring in large parts.

Lebron

Just finished the game, overall really enjoyed it. Though I am a fan of the time period, so they would have to fuck up pretty hard for me not to like it. The game definitely has its faults, a large part probably coming from being a launch title and having to cut or half-ass some parts to meet deadline. Still, I think they did a good job with what they had. Around a 7-8 would be good score for it. Definitely worth at least a rent, or wait till price drop. Hopefully, they can make a sequel.

Also, best looking console game bar none.

eshwaaz

this is my fave launch game on XB1 - i laugh at the low reviews and detractors who havent even played the game. It is the best looking game on next gen consoles hands down and even though its only around 7 hours long - i enjoyed it so much. No filler, all action and so much fun.

While I do wish there was more to it - more moves, more combat variety in general - I am still having a ton of fun with Ryse. I'm on my second playthrough, and have also been putting some time into the solo arena mode.

I'm so glad I still took a chance despite the reviews. Very hopeful it sells well enough to warrant a sequel; there's so much opportunity for refinement and improvement to an already solid foundation.

Mylene

finally a few of my gameplay vids finished uploading, enjoy!!

iwVnjH1DjjYen.gif

ijUDdmMhgpYDH.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=For6FnN8oL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AqOmIsBlEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d--h1p9K6QA

i4oc4wqcTZ1lY.jpg

Picked this up. Wow, so pretty and so much fun. Out of all the games I own, this is the one that screams next-generation. Even my fiancee, who by her own admission is a graphics whore, was impressed by it.

danwarb

My god this game is pretty. The facial animations throughout are pretty convincing.

I've been scared off by poor reviews though. Will wait 'till it costs less than £45.

Question.

For those who remember, how long did it take to install to the point where you could start playing? Thinking of getting it tomorrow, but apparently there are some reports of it taking upwards of 1 hour to install for some people...

Kinda off putting...

Dead

well not really...yet
Question.

For those who remember, how long did it take to install to the point where you could start playing? Thinking of getting it tomorrow, but apparently there are some reports of it taking upwards of 1 hour to install for some people...

Kinda off putting...
took about 10 minutes IIRC

Question.

Kinda off putting...

Yeah not sure where that number is coming from. I didn't have an hour wait at all.

Question.

Kinda off putting...

Well on first install there is a 1GB download which I guess depends on your Internet time, which took me roughly for download and install to start playing about 10 mins.

Then on first campaign start there is an install which took about 5 minutes... After that there isn't really any load time at all even after rebooting etc

Ryse is defo worth the initial wait, amazing game, amazing graphics, solid story and epic music

Makes me look forward to the xbox future :)

The microtransaction stuff doesn't really effect play, you earn everything you need for unlocks very quickly :)

I'm near the end of Ch. 8/the game and horribly stuck:
I'm walking in the hallway after I've been stabbed by Nero and you have barely any control of Marius. I am able to kill two guards who pop out of the columns (I seem to be only able to use the x attack button), but when I walk past the third guard I get stabbed in the throat every time. I can't prompt any moves or walk farther away from the guy. It's extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do. Any help?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just finished this last night/this morning.

First next gen campaign I finished.

The gameplay wasn't perfect but it was entertaining. If they work on the repetition try could make an awesome sequel.

The graphics are simply breathtaking. Only challenged/equalled by Killzone Shadowfall on PS4.

Both of these games show how important material based lighting is this gen.

I was consistently amazed in game at the materials, metal looks like metal, finally.

The storyline was good, the cinematically fantastic, and the facial animations and skin shaders are second to none.

Impressive game by Crytek. Somewhat repetitive but otherwise very solid game. Surprised it got panned in reviews but glad I stuck with it.

I'm walking in the hallway after I've been stabbed by Nero and you have barely any control of Marius. I am able to kill two guards who pop out of the columns (I seem to be only able to use the x attack button), but when I walk past the third guard I get stabbed in the throat every time. I can't prompt any moves or walk farther away from the guy. It's extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do. Any help?

You should consistently be getting prompts since this last part is one big QTE basically. Try restarting the checkpoint maybe?

Karak

Question.

Kinda off putting...

10-15 minutes
Well if SlasherJPC and Karak say it's good,that's enough for me,getting this when I get the One next year,glad others are enjoying it also :p ;)

You are going to be pretty damn happy. I have contacted them to see if I can do a post release interview and pick their brains about what they did, what they would change, and some other stuff I picked up while playing the game. Hope to get them in here soon.

10-15 minutes

You are going to be pretty damn happy. I have contacted them to see if I can do a post release interview and pick their brains about what they did, what they would change, and some other stuff I picked up while playing the game. Hope to get them in here soon.

Would love to hear more on that when it happens.

Karak

Ya I will post a link here for sure if I can wrangle them. I really want to discuss how this all came together and some of the tech. Now that both the game and the system is out I am interested in seeing what more they can discuss.

antitrop

What is the AA method that they are using? It's pretty damn fantastic whatever it is.

Digital Foundry said:
Beyond upscaling, Crytek has also implemented a custom anti-aliasing technique it calls SMAA 1TX. This method combines a custom morphological anti-aliasing (MLAA) solution to ensure clean edges with a temporal component designed to eliminate ghosting and reduce shimmering during motion. Ryse also makes heavy use of high-quality bokeh depth-of-field, variable film grain and both object and camera-based motion blur - all of which contribute to its film-like presentation while simultaneously enhancing the fluidity of its variable frame-rate. The end result is a stable image that is arguably cleaner and more pleasing to the eye than any other title available on Xbox One

Kydd BlaZe

Not surprised by the low reviews at all, a rental game if ever there was one.

Finished the game in a little under 6 hours and, although pretty, it was fairly boring in large parts.

I don't know what to think...

Just borrowed this game from a friend. Gonna see how I like it. I always thought the game looked awesome from the previews and vidocs.

You should consistently be getting prompts since this last part is one big QTE basically. Try restarting the checkpoint maybe?
I restarted the checkpoint but still no prompts. I saw a youtube video of that part and could see the prompts but it's simply not showing in my section of the game. It must be a weird glitch but there doesn't seem to be a patch or anyone else with this problem and I don't know what the hell is going on.

This gif has never been more appropriate.

VBXOL09.gif

This sums up perfectly my feelings about the positive impressions of this game that I've seen here on GAF, and that I've also heard personally from friends that picked up the game at launch, or have done so after the fact since hearing some of the positive word of mouth that's been going around. And when I say going around, I mean it's really been going around. I'm honestly quite surprised by just how much the people I know are praising this thing. I've said before that I knew quite a few folks that were picking up the system primarily for this game, so I'm not entirely surprised that group finds it enjoyable, because they seemed really excited about it even before launch. However, the level of praise after they've gotten hands on or even beaten it has still been really surprising for me, but not anywhere quite as surprising as the reaction to the game on GAF. Don't know why I'm surprised, but I wasn't expecting such a positive general view of the game to carry over as consistently as it appears to have done outside of my own social circle.

Seems I'm not looking as crazy as I once did for having a little faith.

FamilyGuyStewie-Straight-Jacket.gif

It appears I've got some company. :)

I restarted the checkpoint but still no prompts. I saw a youtube video of that part and could see the prompts but it's simply not showing in my section of the game. It must be a weird glitch but there doesn't seem to be a patch or anyone else with this problem and I don't know what the hell is going on.
hate to say it but you might just want to restart the whole chapter and see if it happens again at the end

Seems I'm not looking as crazy as I once did for having a little faith.

I am not sure if this is meant to be a "vindicated!" type post or not... but no... this game is indeed pretty shallow and repetitive, unless the part I played was wildly misrepresentative. I get enjoying it on a visual level, but as far as it being some kind of event game to look forward to... no.

I played it for an hour at my brother's yesterday. I also watched him play it on and off.

Watching it is fun, especially when there is some set piece instead of the regular combat. Epic stuff.

Playing it was far from awesome. It was pretty fun for about 20 minutes, while I was learning and first using the combat system. After that it smoothly descended into being a repetitive slog. The game is supposed to be all epic, but when it comes to playing it, it isn't, because the actual fights are small, slow skirmishes without any real gameplay variation or challenge, once you've got the timing down. It's simplistic and repetitive. There is not much in the arsenal. It's shield/sword. Lack of mobility for the character too. Of course, that's the theme of the game -- they couldn't exactly have him double-jumping and launching people in the air and using 4 different weapons, due to the "realistic" setting -- but that's not my fault. Bottom line is it was yawn-inducing after about a half hour. It reminded me of a more developed version of Ass Creed combat... played out time after time after time.

I could probably get through the game just to see the pretties. On a visual level, it looked great but wasn't very smooth... though it was fine for the simple/slow combat. (If this were God of War, we'd all be complaining how it has frame rate problems, because that style of gameplay cannot really did below 30 like this did.)

Unless something radically changes after the part I played -- and impression after impression says otherwise -- this is not a very good game. Even far superior gameplay systems (GoW) have gotten stale at this point, and those guys already know what they're doing at least. Crytek is out of their depth.

Agree with most that this is a just a really fun and gorgeous looking game.

Definitely would be in for a sequel. Think of it like the first Assassins Creed. Sure, there is a lot of repetition of game mechanics, but it puts a foundation in place where you can really see the franchise turning into something much bigger.

I am not sure if this is meant to be a "vindicated!" type post or not... but no... this game is indeed pretty shallow and repetitive, unless the part I played was wildly misrepresentative. I get enjoying it on a visual level, but as far as it being some kind of event game to look forward to... no.

I played it for an hour at my brother's yesterday. I also watched him play it on and off.

Watching it is fun, especially when there is some set piece instead of the regular combat. Epic stuff.

Playing it was far from awesome. It was pretty fun for about 20 minutes, while I was learning and first using the combat system. After that it smoothly descended into being a repetitive slog. The game is supposed to be all epic, but when it comes to playing it, it isn't, because the actual fights are small, slow skirmishes without any real gameplay variation or challenge, once you've got the timing down. It's simplistic and repetitive. There is not much in the arsenal. It's shield/sword. Lack of mobility for the character too. Of course, that's the theme of the game -- they couldn't exactly have him double-jumping and launching people in the air and using 4 different weapons, due to the "realistic" setting -- but that's not my fault. Bottom line is it was yawn-inducing after about a half hour. It reminded me of a more developed version of Ass Creed combat... played out time after time after time.

I could probably get through the game just to see the pretties. On a visual level, it looked great but wasn't very smooth... though it was fine for the simple/slow combat. (If this were God of War, we'd all be complaining how it has frame rate problems, because that style of gameplay cannot really did below 30 like this did.)

Unless something radically changes after the part I played -- and impression after impression says otherwise -- this is not a very good game. Even far superior gameplay systems (GoW) have gotten stale at this point, and those guys already know what they're doing at least. Crytek is out of their depth.

xdaREQb.gif

You couldn't even wait awhile... You had to go tear the house down immediately. Time to go listen to track 7 on Eminem's new album. :(

Haha, just kidding. Well, it's pretty obvious this game isn't for everybody. I'm just having a bit of fun. I'm really excited about the game obviously, and since it'll be awhile before I myself get to play it, I'm just occasionally enjoying what, by all accounts, looks like a pretty positive reception from gamers that have gotten their hands on it. It isn't hard to see that the game isn't perfect, and I've known and suspected that was the case for some time, but I always felt there was a fun, quality game there that would be right up my alley, and judging by a lot of impressions, it seems I wasn't entirely wrong for placing my faith in the game.

iJudged

Banned
GAF help! I am stuck!
I am on chapter 6 and stuck in that burning barn. I've pushed the carriage that opened that burning door for civilians to exit but now what? Fire all around me I can't go back. Which way?

Never mind, I got it :)

Finally beat it. Gorgeous shallow game. Perfect example of a rental if there ever was one and the best part by far.....Oliphants.

Also Boudica's character modeling isn't quite up to the same level as everyone else. She looks really odd most of the time.

Thanks for the support, asshole.

Haha. I'm having a blast with the album. I'm concerned, however, that I may have accidentally played track 7 a little too much within earshot of my nephew. He said that same thanks for the support, asshole line a few times, and he just cracks up with laughter everytime he says it, clearly not understanding what he's saying. Trying to cleverly get him hooked to saying something else lol. Thanksgiving with the family could be a little awkward otherwise.

2 days with me and the 3 year old is already saying words he shouldn't. :p

pixlexic

Banned
Finally beat it. Gorgeous shallow game. Perfect example of a rental if there ever was one and the best part by far.....Oliphants.

Also Boudica's character modeling isn't quite up to the same level as everyone else. She looks really odd most of the time.

shes english... that's normal.

;)

statham

Just got this game today, and very much enjoying it. I hope other third party companies license this engine, game is amazing looking.

Just finished the game, I had fun even though it was a rather simple and short game. It's not amazing but I thought it was one of the better next-gen exclusive launch games. I really think if they had a variety of weapons, and definitely a bigger variety of enemies, it could've been a great game.

took about 10 minutes IIRC

Yeah not sure where that number is coming from. I didn't have an hour wait at all.

Well on first install there is a 1GB download which I guess depends on your Internet time, which took me roughly for download and install to start playing about 10 mins.

Then on first campaign start there is an install which took about 5 minutes... After that there isn't really any load time at all even after rebooting etc

Ryse is defo worth the initial wait, amazing game, amazing graphics, solid story and epic music

Makes me look forward to the xbox future :)

The microtransaction stuff doesn't really effect play, you earn everything you need for unlocks very quickly :)

10-15 minutes.

Okay, that sounds much better. Thanks. Think I'll be picking up this and AC4 today...

Tsukumo

Any way to increase the difficulty in solo gladiator mode?

in the Twitch stream one of the developer claimed the difficulty would scale based on equipped gear. I'm at level 10 and still haven't seen much of a difference. The only increase in difficulty IME happens when you don't immediately go for the respawning points and you get flooded with barbarians. Also the variety in events ramps up once you play co-op and you play around with the mp maps.
I had one when I had to protect two Wicker man at once, it was pretty fun.
If it's the trolling that keeps you out of mp, know that most people are lvl 10 and up and they don't come much in the way. Usually you have two players who do their thing and the barbarians split up to engage both. People have figured out you get more points by chaining combo and legendary-ing every execution, so you won't see players mashing X to "steal" kills nowadays.

Mdk7

I beat the game last weekend, and i think it's nowhere as bad as some reviews are claiming it is (in fact i rated it with a 6.6 on IGN Italy).

I mean people shit all over this, yet they can tolerate (and even praise) Assassin's Creed? Come on.

Surely it would benefit a significant improvement in its combat mechanics, the campaign is a tad short and overall they clearly focused on the graphics waaay more than on the actual gameplay, yet i thought the game was at least playable, and at times even pretty entertaining.
Plus technically it's MARVELOUS, so you get to see the brute horsepower your brand new console has.

Wait for the color codes not the sounds was a bit confused about it too.
Sounds and color don't seem synchronized.

Prine

Banned
Seriously, i started my playthrough of Ass creed 4 , huge mistake, it looks like shit coming off of Ryse. This game has spoiled me.

This game shines when your being attacked from all angles, and by far the most satisfying part of the game.

I hoping and praying we see a sequel.

Top Bottom