• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics after watching all those videos. The game is very blurry and suffers from constant stutter during gameplay. Is that normal?

Hawk269

Seriously, i went to start my playthrough of Ass creed 4 , huge mistake, it looks like shit coming off of Ryse. This game has spoiled me.

This game shines when your being attacked from all angles, and by far the most satisfying part of the game.

I hoping and praying we see a sequel.

I have a very high end Gaming Rig (2 GTX Titans in SLI). And you all may think I am crazy, but Ryse is to me officially the best looking game I have played. I am not done with the game, just 20% into the forest level and holy shit is this game amazing looking and I really love the play style and the moves. I am playing on the hardest difficulty, so it is more of a challenge and it is just not a button masher. At this level, you have to strategic, use your blocks/rolls to survive.

I did not play it for 2 days and when I rebooted it, I was just floored with the visuals and been playing about 1-2 hours for the last 2 days and am just floored on how good this game looks. Hand's down, the most visually stunning game yet. I am going to be shocked on what they can do now that they have one game under their belt and a launch game to boot!

PhatSaqs

Banned
It really is a good game. Certainly not 8-9 but definitely not a damn 4-5 lol. Anyone rating this game that low makes me question if they like many games at all lol.

I hope good word of mouth carries into us getting a sequel.

jackrubyn

So this game actually turned out decent, or good even? How does the fighting work? Is it straight up QTEs, or something more akin to like Ninja Gaiden with timed blocks/rolls, etc?

Leonsito

So this game actually turned out decent, or good even? How does the fighting work? Is it straight up QTEs, or something more akin to like Ninja Gaiden with timed blocks/rolls, etc?

In easy you can smash buttons and win, in the hardest levels, you have to time block, rolls, sword hits and shield hits.

It's simplier than Batman, because here you only have two weapons, but the root of the combat is pretty similar.

I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics after watching all those videos. The game is very blurry and suffers from constant stutter during gameplay. Is that normal?

neither of those things are actually true. It's the best looking game on both consoles hands down. It's not blurry, nor does it stutter.

sinnergy

Try other settings on your TV, cos that's not what I am seeing. As for the stuttering, I had that at a friends house when the game was still installing.

Neifirst

Well, a lot of you on here have convinced me to pick this up while it's still on sale at Amazon for $49. I'm beyond thrilled with the system so far and look forward to adding this to my collection!

Yes. I'm sure. Maybe I should try a re-install?!

My tv is calibrated.

EDIT: Thanks for the insallation hint. That could be it.

Yes, reinstall. I actually play Ryse in 'Movie' mode on my TV, gives a very cinimatic appearance to the game, as if i am watching Gladiator or 300, but actually being able to control my Gladiator!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's more like batman if anything, lot of focus on maintaining a combo without being hit and has a lot of similar stuff like attacking an enemy and then directing it to another far away and having the player quickly cross the gap with the attack itself. The QTE stuff was always overblown, executions are essentially similar to takedowns in the arkham games.

It's a pretty simple game, but it works fine. The main thing is it's simplistic and doesn't really add more, so you have a sword attack, heavy sword attack, shield bash, heavy shield bash, dodge roll, parry, and a burst mode. The main challenge would come from adding stuff like shield enemies that need to have their guard broken with shield bashes, dual sword enemies that you need to triple parry, red moves being unblockables, etc. all coming at you at once. It's not very deep but it's simple fun, the MP mode seems to throw a lot more enemies at once to you and they are pretty aggressive. Batman has a lot more to it with pure player choice, though.

Doffen

I never encountered any of these issues. The game looks great, a lot better than the videos.

sangreal

It's more like batman if anything, lot of focus on maintaining a combo without being hit and has a lot of similar stuff like attacking an enemy and then directing it to another far away and having the player quickly cross the gap with the attack itself. The QTE stuff was always overblown, executions are essentially similar to takedowns in the arkham games.

It's a pretty simple game, but it works fine. The main thing is it's simplistic and doesn't really add more, so you have a sword attack, heavy sword attack, shield bash, heavy shield bash, dodge roll, parry, and a burst mode. The main challenge would come from adding stuff like shield enemies that need to have their guard broken with shield bashes, dual sword enemies that you need to triple parry, red moves being unblockables, etc. all coming at you at once. It's not very deep but it's simple fun, the MP mode seems to throw a lot more enemies at once to you and they are pretty aggressive. Batman has a lot more to it with pure player choice, though.

(most) red moves aren't unblockable btw, they are just more strict on the timing required to block them. you need to do a perfect deflect

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, the chapter on the beach was super impressive graphically. The achievement for it made me lol too as it was exactly what I thought about it as it started.

Multiplayer is really addictive tho.

ekim

Man, the chapter on the beach was super impressive graphically. The achievement for it made me lol too as it was exactly what I thought about it as it started.

Multiplayer is really addictive tho.

Wait for the forest level

I posted how to beat that part. You need to have at least 3 focus capsules filled. There is no other way.

Never done it with focus.

Did it first time on Legendary, took me a while on Centurion on my first run through...

Get all of the arrows you can, then stand behind the barrels/broken wood things at the top throwing the spears until you run out, then go down to where the solders are get more spears and go back up carry on until the archers arrive, simple!

oVerde

Banned

A simpler Batman, you have to do the executions or you gonna have a bad time, timing your blocks is a must, also, it's challenging as hell on higher difficulties.

Been playing a lot of Gladiator mode on smart match and with a buddy of mine, managed to get a 112x combo, and after struggling with Game DVR managed to get the video saved and uploaded to SkyDrive (had a 102x Combo video earlier which didn't save >.<)

Full version from 3x combo to the end (2:58 long)

Short version which just shows the end of the run (30s long)

Rank 40 or so in multiplayer now, rank up quickly with some decent gear and using the Diana as your god which grants extra XP as well as equipping items purely on the basis of increasing the XP amount (+15% atm)

eshwaaz

Originally beat it on Normal, but it really is a very different experience on Centurion - tougher enemies show up earlier in the campaign, and in greater numbers in general. You really need to stay on your toes and be aware of the types of enemies you're facing.

I can't get over how much I'm enjoying this game. It's not complex or packed with content, but I just find it such an appealing package.

Currently installing this. Quite looking forward to it, I've adjusted my expectations to not expect much, but so long as it's serviceable (which it appears to be) and reasonably fun, I'll be a happy gamer...

Still bitter about the lack of a chariot mode. co-op or otherwise. Such a wasted opportunity...

dgco86

Did anyone encounter minor stutters during the cutscenes? I've experienced them 3 times so far, once early on in the game and then twice in chapter 6
when King Oswald was murdered
. Hope that isn't anything to be worried about. I'm a bit more worried since my console has no warranty in Singapore and my PS4 was DOA.

Still bitter about the lack of a chariot mode. co-op or otherwise. Such a wasted opportunity...

Yeah, I hope that's part of Ryse's future as well as fixing the glaring omission of predatory animals involved in Colosseum mode. Don't expect anything but a combat-heavy experience and you'll likely enjoy it for what it is.

Did anyone encounter minor stutters during the cutscenes?
The game does have hiccups in performance, but it may be exacerbated by concurrent downloads/installs while playing. I wouldn't worry as it is not perfectly glossy performance across all aspects.

jet1911

Been playing a lot of Gladiator mode on smart match and with a buddy of mine, managed to get a 112x combo, and after struggling with Game DVR managed to get the video saved and uploaded to SkyDrive (had a 102x Combo video earlier which didn't save >.<)

Rank 40 or so in multiplayer now, rank up quickly with some decent gear and using the Diana as your god which grants extra XP as well as equipping items purely on the basis of increasing the XP amount (+15% atm)

That was pretty good.

dgco86

Yeah, I hope that's part of Ryse's future as well as fixing the glaring omission of predatory animals involved in Colosseum mode. Don't expect anything but a combat-heavy experience and you'll likely enjoy it for what it is.

The game does have hiccups in performance, but it may be exacerbated by concurrent downloads/installs while playing. I wouldn't worry as it is not perfectly glossy performance across all aspects.

That's slightly reassuring, although I don't think I had anything running in the background. I'm frankly quite surprised that this is the only game I've played on my Xbox One since I got it on Monday.

It's a lovely game, wish we could have these visuals in a more involved game. It's full of promise that we'll get that with the new gen.

And the multi's a real guilty pleasure.

Oh god, oh god the forest level. I'm having a heart attack and tears of joy. Best looking game I've ever seen.

Also, I'm pissed off that the soundtrack isn't available anywhere. The music is probably among my favorite scores of the year. Truly epic and pumping.

Damn, I was going to skip over the multiplayer for Ryse (too much else to play!) but that video makes me want to check it out.

Yeah, I hope that's part of Ryse's future as well as fixing the glaring omission of predatory animals involved in Colosseum mode. Don't expect anything but a combat-heavy experience and you'll likely enjoy it for what it is..

Wait, there aren't any animals in Colosseum mode? Seriously? Jesus, that's an even bigger wasted opportunity than no chariot racing...

Gah, finally finished installing and now I'm met with another install screen in game...what the fuck.

Did Crytek hire the same tech guys who worked on MGS4? Jesus Christ...

Gestault

Still have not had a chance to play this hands on.

But found this fun pic of a t-pose bug someone ran into.

1QgM3E2.jpg

NBA Lyve

Well damn, this looks incredible in person and it plays pretty well too.

It doesn't have the same flow to combat as Arkham, but you can definitely see they took some influences from the series. A sequel with a more fleshed out combat system could be great...

Anyway, the visuals. My God, the visuals are eye meltingly awesome. I really should have played this first instead of DR3, the opening cut-scenes, the first level, it's just an incredible showcase of what next gen is capable of...

Goodness...

sinnergy

What I have seen in this game is almost unbelievable.. easily hte best looking next-gen console game.

The tech is amazing. And this is only the beginning.

JDizzv

Anybody have both Ryse and Dead Rising and care to give a recommendation on what they're enjoying more? I know DR 3 did better in reviews but I'm hearing a lot of people says reviewers were wrong about Ryse also. I'm torn on which should be my next Xbone purchase.

jergrah

Finished this yesterday - such a fun ride. The final sequence was fantastic to me. Now to spend more time in multi and wait/hope for some single player DLC or a sequel.

Anybody have both Ryse and Dead Rising and care to give a recommendation on what they're enjoying more? I know DR 3 did better in reviews but I'm hearing a lot of people says reviewers were wrong about Ryse also. I'm torn on which should be my next Xbone purchase.

I have both, played 36 hours of Ryse and 39 minutes of Dead Rising 3 but I would expect I'm an anomaly, the single player I did on Centurion in 7 hours or so, Dead Rising 3 is much longer game going through it first time.

My personal recommendation is get Ryse but if you're unsure if you'll like it, get DR3 and wait for Ryse to drop in price, can't go wrong either way

Hawk269

Originally beat it on Normal, but it really is a very different experience on Centurion - tougher enemies show up earlier in the campaign, and in greater numbers in general. You really need to stay on your toes and be aware of the types of enemies you're facing.

I can't get over how much I'm enjoying this game. It's not complex or packed with content, but I just find it such an appealing package.

I have been telling people this since the day I got the game. Centurion is the level everyone should play on because it is a completely different game on that level. The feeling of accomplishment, when you are facing 4-6 enemies, using roll, block and your attacks and then chaining them together and taking out 2-3 guys in execution mode is so satisfying.

Visually, the game is astonishing. As you progress through the levels, you feel you are going through a great adventure, from the Rome, to the forest with a river, to finding your way to the top of a tower high in the sky with an amazing view, to a swamp like area is just breath taking.

If you play this game on normal, you can breeze through it without much challenge and it will not feel as satisfying of force you to really use all the tools in combat. I also think that a lot of folks are not unlocking many of the special move, executions etc. that are needed at the higher level because it can be repetitive seeing the same executions, but you can unlock more and they are impressive. I love environmental executions...especially the few "fire" ones!

Hawk269

Well damn, this looks incredible in person and it plays pretty well too.

It doesn't have the same flow to combat as Arkham, but you can definitely see they took some influences from the series. A sequel with a more fleshed out combat system could be great...

Anyway, the visuals. My God, the visuals are eye meltingly awesome. I really should have played this first instead of DR3, the opening cut-scenes, the first level, it's just an incredible showcase of what next gen is capable of...

Goodness...

If you are only at the beginning, that is NOTHING to what the later chapters bring. Believe it or not, the visuals get even better as you progress through the game and some of the cut scenes are just great looking. Play it on Centurion, earn up some combo's for more valor and buy some of the upgrades to give yourself some really amazing executions and more health/focus.

Damn it, i don't know if i should get this or Dead Rising 3.
How is the story in Ryse? I don't think ill be too bothered by repetitive gameplay if the story is good.

Top Bottom