• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Hawk269

Damn, I was going to skip over the multiplayer for Ryse (too much else to play!) but that video makes me want to check it out.

It is fun and addicting because you can level up and see how you compare if you play with another person. I gave it a shot last night for the first time with a random person on Live and it played very well. I ended up clearly beating the guy I played with, which was rewarding, but you have do have to play as a team because you can revive each other as well and that makes team work important.

Harlequin

Damn it, i don't know if i should get this or Dead Rising 3.
How is the story in Ryse? I don't think ill be too bothered by repetitive gameplay if the story is good.

(Note that I haven't played the game but only watched a walkthrough on YouTube but that should qualify me to judge the story, I think.)

The overall story is cool IMO. It's not the greatest or most original story ever and some of the characters feel a bit clichéd but they're playing with some very interesting ideas and concepts that really make up for the few shortcomings the story has. One thing you certainly shouldn't expect is historical accuracy, though, so if you're an OCD history buff, this game isn't for you :p. I also feel like the story suffers from the short length of the game. Some things just don't feel like they were properly fleshed out. But yeah, I think overall the story is worth experiencing...whether I'd pay 60 bucks for it is another matter but you'll have to decide that for yourself.

ahartig

Only played the first 3 chapters then set it aside to play DR3 and BF4. Started on centurion and enjoying the hell out if it. Cannot wait to get back into it. I'm glad to hear the MP is fun and engaging, I really hope they are able to expand on it...... And maybe include a competitive one on one death match kind of multiplayer, if done right it could be amazing. They could take a page out of the older PC/Mac gam "Rune". The online mp in that game was great. 1v1 hand to hand sword/axe combat, so intense.

Interesting to read comments pre and post launch. This game received sooooo much hate on GAF, like people wanted it to be bad. I have not read one bad impression, makes you wonder how the reviews would have panned out if they were all forced to play on centurion.

Prophezz

Banned
Just finished this game yesterday. Extremely entertaining, and I did enjoy the story. Definitely going to replay it on Legendary mode.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
I finally finished reading the whole thread and add me in as someone who enjoyed the game quite a lot but agree that that it's repetitive. However what is fun about is keeping your hit score going now that is fun and feels rewarding. Like everyone here I too would recommend starting on the highest difficulty I did the same after that playing legendry to get the achievements and the rest of the collections you missed during your first time.

Positive:
Amazing graphics
Sound is good and meaty
Music is nice
voice acting is good as well
companion app is good on windows 8 I like the video option to collect the items and friends tracking. Cannot use it on the phone though.
The rumble aspect really feels good I liked it. Makes me wish there was a Forza demo for me to experience more of it.

Negative:
enemies are similar and gets boring after a while
special attacks(focus/damage/health bonus) even on legendary make it easier
Game length is short
The actual story was boring did not care whatsoever about it I wanted to but there was nothing really there. Very generic

Multiplayer:
Multiplayer is lacking while fighting alongside another is good and fun it gets boring after a while. I want more things like 1v1,
chariot racing
, racing with the elephant lol would have been cool. I'm at level 44 already it's boring trying to get at rank 100. Which is the only thing left for me to do.

Overall I give it

Gamertag is BlazeGaj like the username maybe I already fought alongside you guys

sangreal

ugh, just had the controller bug out on me where nothing was working except the guide button in MP. Not cool; felt like a jackass. Lost a round then had to shut the xbox off in the middle of the next round

the worst part is, I seem to have lost all the xp I made playing with that guy

had another bug the other night where we couldn't do the coop objective to put out the wickerman fire. One of us would stand on the stone but the other couldn't get through the gate anyway -- invisible wall. had to quit :-/

Doffen

My basic Ryse stats:

KdV0PmA.png

The only IRL friend that also got an Xbox One really likes Ryse too.
Seems like we both got equally shit taste in games.

It also sucks that people leave mid-game in Gladiator mode.
They should have included an Gladiavatar thingy.

Proelite

Just beat the campaign. Presentation and pacing was tight. The lighing in the colosseum is so natural. The ending was really good.

If it had featured a sandbox and was longer, it would have been GOTY IMO.

This game is like the opposite of killzone concerning strengths and weakness.

Stantron

For people playing multiplayer:

Any tips on buying gear? I'm up to Tier 3 gear, but I don't notice much difference in the stats for bronze (3 common) and gold (3 rare) gear. In fact I sometimes get better gear with bronze. There seems to be a capacity to how much of each type you can hold in inventory, but I'm not sure how that works. In Mass Effect 3, it was more cost effective to max out the lower grade weapons, then focus on higher grade ones, but I don't think that applies here.

Any tips for dealing with the duel sword wielding enemies without focus? I often lose my combo multiplier to those guys because they dodge all my attacks, and my combo sometimes expires if I wait to counter their attacks.

sangreal

Any tips on buying gear? I'm up to Tier 3 gear, but I don't notice much difference in the stats for bronze (3 common) and gold (3 rare) gear. In fact I sometimes get better gear with bronze. There seems to be a capacity to how much of each type you can hold in inventory, but I'm not sure how that works. In Mass Effect 3, it was more cost effective to max out the lower grade weapons, then focus on higher grade ones, but I don't think that applies here.

Any tips for dealing with the duel sword wielding enemies without focus? I often lose my combo multiplier to those guys because they dodge all my attacks, and my combo sometimes expires if I wait to counter their attacks.

they wont dodge a heavy push (hold y)

I play for Diana for that sweet XP boost so I pretty much never use focus except to knock enemies off ledges or into hazards

I just use 3 shield bashes in a row. Breaks their defense every time.

kyo27

I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics after watching all those videos. The game is very blurry and suffers from constant stutter during gameplay. Is that normal?

Same here, I thought the game looked really soft. Some parts are amazing, others the lighting and character models looks just meh. The environments were okay I guess since it was mostly linear corridor type areas and not wide open areas.

Stantron

I just use 3 shield bashes in a row. Breaks their defense every time.
Cool, will try that next time.

they wont dodge a heavy push (hold y)

I play for Diana for that sweet XP boost so I pretty much never use focus except to knock enemies off ledges or into hazards
Getting a large group of enemies on top of one of the archer's platforms, and then the using push back power for a multi kill is godly. ;)

ahartig

What is the difference between red and white skull executions?

White skull execution markers typically last a long time and appear after you have beaten the crap out of an enemy.

Red markers pop up early in a clash when the enemy is stunned, they disappear after 2 to 3 seconds.

ahartig

When one of the "boss" enemies performs a Red attack, is it possible to always block that attack with a properly timed A parry?

Or do some enemies require a duck and roll to evade the red attack no matter what.

I found that during the mini boss battle with Boudica it was impossible to block her red attack, I always had to roll out of the way. Was I just mis-timing the parry button?

Tsukumo

What is the difference between red and white skull executions?

red skulls signal an execution state that is only temporary (goes away after a second) white are permanent execution states. White skull with (what looks to me like) a lighting bolt are environmental executions, but they are not guaranteed meaning that of all the possible executions the game selects at random, environmental ones could be performed. Try to stay in pools or water puddles in the Colosseum and you'll see them showing up.

When one of the "boss" enemies performs a Red attack, is it possible to always block that attack with a properly timed A parry?

Or do some enemies require a duck and roll to evade the red attack no matter what.

I found that during the mini boss battle with Boudica it was impossible to block her red attack, I always had to roll out of the way. Was I just mis-timing the parry button?

Beaten :D
Anyway: red attacks can be parried but you have to parry (with a perfect guard) every single attack. If you just deflect the attack, the last hit in the combo will be unblockable.

oVerde

Banned

On Centurion difficult there are many enemies that light up in red too, you must roll, there's a small chance to parry but they stun.

ahartig

On Centurion difficult there are many enemies that light up in red too, you must roll, there's a small chance to parry but they stun.

OK, so i'm assuming the small chance to parry is based on the timing of the parry attack, not just random luck?

sangreal

OK, so i'm assuming the small chance to parry is based on the timing of the parry attack, not just random luck?

yes, for the heavy (red) attacks you just have to time it right.
Boudica can definitely be blocked (and exposed). She is just a combination of the 2 enemy types that have a flurry attack.

If you get stunned instead of exposing the enemy then your timing was off. You need a "perfect block". The only guys I can never block are the ones that do the 2 heavy attacks in the row (the leaders in MP) so I just roll

jim2011

I managed to pick up a digital download of the game on ebay for $42 and am enjoying it a lot. Sure the combat is repetitive but so was it in arkham city origins and I rate this game above that. The story is great so far and dammmmmnnnnnnn the graphics are insane. I don't regret the purchase at all. Dead Rising 3 and Forza are better values but Ryse is the blockbuster type game Xbox One needed. Despite the reviews, I think Ryse is doing just fine. It's the #1 Xbox One game on Amazon for sales. I have high hopes for Ryse 2 which I fully expect is coming.

My basic Ryse stats:

The only IRL friend that also got an Xbox One really likes Ryse too.
Seems like we both got equally shit taste in games.

It also sucks that people leave mid-game in Gladiator mode.
They should have included an Gladiavatar thingy.

How do you view you time? I can't find it anywhere for any of my games.

Yep.. really enjoying this game right now. I'm glad they got the fighting real close to the Batman type style of fighting. Once I stopped geeking out and started taking my time fighting people the smoother it got. I've enjoyed the story so far as well. Good fun popcorn flick type of a game. Hopefully they'll make a part 2. I'm getting close to beating this one.

I really cannot believe how much I'm enjoying this. Sure, it's pretty rough around the edges in terms of combat and variety, but the executions are just so damn good and the visuals and settings are just amazing.

I really, really hope MS push ahead with a sequel. More weapon, combat and enemy variety and this could become a pretty epic series for MS.

I really cannot believe how much I'm enjoying this. Sure, it's pretty rough around the edges in terms of combat and variety, but the executions are just so damn good and the visuals and settings are just amazing.

I really, really hope MS push ahead with a sequel. More weapon, combat and enemy variety and this could become a pretty epic series for MS.

Oh it is damn enjoyable. A pretty package and visceral moments wrapped in a solid yet simple and average battle system. A sequel, if criticism is taken, can and will be amazing! *crosses fingers*

Oh it is damn enjoyable. A pretty package and visceral moments wrapped in a solid yet simple and average battle system. A sequel, if criticism is taken, can and will be amazing! *crosses fingers*

I've got everything crossed. I love the setting and I love Marius as a protagonist. All we need is a more fleshed out and in depth combat system with more weapons, more enemy types and a better flow to combat. Also, move block to Y...

Anyway, I love how impressive the fire is in this game. I thought it was impressive in DR3, but it's so much better here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUdvEu3FKA&feature=youtu.be

And a random execution vid I recorded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigaJH4btfI&feature=youtu.be

ahartig

One thing that is semi disappointing is that there is no head dismemberment.

After seeing arms and legs go flying, you would think a clean head chop would be available as well.

Prine

Banned
Im also VERY fond of Marius...and the voice work is some of the best ive seen. Far cry (no pun) from Ubisoft's lamentable Kenway, who irks me to no end.

Prophezz

Banned
Any tips on the beach sequence where you have to hold the line from the enemy archers until your archers come through? The archers keep bringing down my team morale too quick before I can throw the spear to kill each archer. :/

Legendary diffculty btw.

oVerde

Banned

yep, but it's hard as fuck, could count in one hand how many times worked. Definitely roll.

Any tips on the beach sequence where you have to hold the line from the enemy archers until your archers come through? The archers keep bringing down my team morale too quick before I can throw the spear to kill each archer. :/

Legendary diffculty btw.

Don't drop the higher wood stand, you can shoot them easier from there. Also, focus.

Prophezz

Banned
yep, but it's hard as fuck, could count in one hand how many times worked. Definitely roll.

Don't drop the higher wood stand, you can shoot them easier from there. Also, focus.

The pilas (sc?) ammunition is scarce on the stand. I need to drop down eventually to get more ammo (although I can climb back up). Also, the focus doesn't seem to work unless I'm really close to the archers (and all the damn archers are on the roof top).

Arghh this sequence is frustrating me. First off, it's hard to roll around and pick up ammunition because the A button is also associated with blocking and if you press it, even when you're slightly off the ammunition stack, he clanks his shield. Really annoying when you're in the heat of battle dodging arrows and trying to kill the enemies as fast as you can.

I also tried quick throwing the pilas instead of charging them up (it takes two shots to kill a bad guy) but the targeting is just too difficult to adjust to. He either hits who I intended to hit or just completely misses.

The pilas (sc?) ammunition is scarce on the stand. I need to drop down eventually to get more ammo (although I can climb back up). Also, the focus doesn't seem to work unless I'm really close to the archers (and all the damn archers are on the roof top).

Arghh this sequence is frustrating me. First off, it's hard to roll around and pick up ammunition because the A button is also associated with blocking and if you press it, even when you're slightly off the ammunition stack, he clanks his shield. Really annoying when you're in the heat of battle dodging arrows and trying to kill the enemies as fast as you can.

I also tried quick throwing the pilas instead of charging them up (it takes two shots to kill a bad guy) but the targeting is just too difficult to adjust to. He either hits who I intended to hit or just completely misses.

Keep at it, you'll eventually get the archers prompt. Once you trigger that, you'll progress...

The physically based lighting system they used in this game is amazing. I really hope more titles use this system. It makes everything look so.... real.

Nintyb

Banned
Just finished it.

+ Gorgeous visuals.
+ Rousing Hollywood esque score.
+ A fun but somewhat repetitive timing based combat system.
+ Entertaining yet cliche story with some solid voice acting.

- The Scorpio sections aren't fun at all.
- The entire game is on rails with an off path section here and there leading to a collectable.
- Not enough enemy variety. The different timing required for each is varied enough but the exact same skins sticks out awkwardly in an otherwise stellar production.

Can't say I really care much to try the multiplayer but I will at some point when I've exhausted the other four games I've barely touched yet.

Top Bottom