• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Orca

Took the One to a friend's house last night to show him what it was like and there were two games that really dropped his jaw. Ryse was one - he only played the first part of the first level but the environment and the action blew him away. He was button mashing like crazy though and I had to tell him to slow down and watch for executions, counters, etc... By the time he quit he was getting much better at it.

The other game was Powerstar Golf. Bizarre, but he's a huge Hot Shots Golf fan and that had to play a big part.

cripterion

Online is way too easy. There's absolutely no challenge in finishing any of the maps I played so far alone, yet with a partner.

Raven77

Debating picking this up...

How explorable are the levels?

I really like games with hidden things to find and larger open levels. They don't have to be massive but I'm not a huge fan of super linear design. Good of war tested my limits often.

I really like games with hidden things to find and larger open levels. They don't have to be massive but I'm not a huge fan of super linear design. Good of war tested my limits often.

You probably wouldn't be satisfied with this then. Most levels are fairly straight forward. While some chapters do have a more open play area then others, your still be funnelled towards the end of the level. The only collectibles are a few things for achievments basically.

golem

The only collectibles are a few things for achievments basically.
Yeah, pretty disappointed the collectibles do absolutely nothing. Im guessing the intent for Vistas was some kind of landscape art and for Chronicles some lore for the world but that all seems to have been cut out.

Yeah, pretty disappointed the collectibles do absolutely nothing. Im guessing the intent for Vistas was some kind of landscape art and for Chronicles some lore for the world but that all seems to have been cut out.

Yeah, mostly likely a cut due to being a launch title. Just a guess.

If you check the Ryse companion app on smartglass you can check out the collectibles i've got a Ryse comic strip from the Chronicles I collected up at the moment - it says "Spoiler alert" on the tile for collectibles so I won't post a picture.

If you check the Ryse companion app on smartglass you can check out the collectibles i've got a Ryse comic strip from the Chronicles I collected up at the moment - it says "Spoiler alert" on the tile for collectibles so I won't post a picture.

Yeah... can't do it. My galaxy S2 sin't compatible with smart glass for some reason. Go figure. Shame it's tied only into that then.

eshwaaz

Ugh. Between this and Dead Rising, I am not liking content being accessible only via Smart Glass. I really hope this is not the beginning of a trend.

Karak

Took the One to a friend's house last night to show him what it was like and there were two games that really dropped his jaw. Ryse was one - he only played the first part of the first level but the environment and the action blew him away. He was button mashing like crazy though and I had to tell him to slow down and watch for executions, counters, etc... By the time he quit he was getting much better at it.

The other game was Powerstar Golf. Bizarre, but he's a huge Hot Shots Golf fan and that had to play a big part.

Hahahaha. Identical games for me currently. For some reason the 2 opposites really seemed to impress friends.

Doffen

Well I started a new game and I swear I put it on legendary but I am just kicking so much ass and not having any problems I'm starting to think I somehow put it on easy lol. Yet I can't tell how to check so it's driving me nuts.

You'll get individual achievements for legendary.

Mylene

gladiator solo arena gameplay uploaded, tier 3 gear, rank 26

ibo6Pv1d8iTCSO.gif

iwOORthUJjb5Y.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2eIoKbOdg

i1ZTUUoshNQpo.jpg

You can explore for the many unlockables (over 40+) to get the achievements. The game is not open world or anything, but the levels are huge and look spectacular. This game is not like god of war in any way and it's not as linear as some might think. The story was also very good imo.

A while. Took me about 1.5hours to get from lvl 0 to halfway through lvl 2.

Just been playing it a bit more, went up a few ranks quicker than I have done. With the booster packs you buy (with gold won in-game) you get better stuff - more health, better weapons, shields etc so I think the idea is actually that you start slow and get quicker.

Which is against what a lot of games do but it makes sense when you consider the booster packs etc...

Doffen

You know what. I actually liked the game. It made me hope for a sequel.
It's defiantly big room for large improvements on gameplay.

Havn't touched gladiator mode yet, but will give it a shot.

mjc

I'm on Chapter 6 and its definitely been fun so far. I'd love to see a sequel expand on some of the gameplay but other than that...much better than I thought it was gonna be!

I was reading on x360a people found some way to get like 150k xp per round or something. Already level 88s apparently.

:O How? Teach me your ways.

Just been playing it a bit more, went up a few ranks quicker than I have done. With the booster packs you buy (with gold won in-game) you get better stuff - more health, better weapons, shields etc so I think the idea is actually that you start slow and get quicker.

Which is against what a lot of games do but it makes sense when you consider the booster packs etc...

Yeah that's possible and new items can raise your xp % for the character.

Starting a 2nd play through of this game, Really liked it!

I'd recommend playing on the hardest difficulty available from the start when playing the campaign.

Fyrebrand

Neo Member
Just had a streaker in my online match it was HILARIOUS naked guy with sensor bars running across the screen. Nice touch crytech haha.

Kajiba

Just beat the game. Loved it. Chapter V and VII are still my favorites though. Going to play a little bit of multiplayer now.

Just finished the game and it was definitely worth the money I spent on it. Ryse won't make my list for game of the year but it may get an honourable mention.

I'm not too interested in the multiplayer though so it may go on the trade pile and back to Future Shop for $40 in credit.

Karak

Just beat the game. Loved it. Chapter V and VII are still my favorites though. Going to play a little bit of multiplayer now.
Not sure which is my favorite. I actually enjoyed them all a good deal. But it was a good ending I thought.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Ryse is a must buy for anyone IMO. The wow factor is there in spades and the gameplay isn't bad at all. Very solid game and really hope it gets a sequel.

WarpathDC

Ryse is a must buy for anyone IMO. The wow factor is there in spades and the gameplay isn't bad at all. Very solid game and really hope it gets a sequel.

Cosign. I was very shocked to play the game and realize that it is very good and will melt your face it looks so good. Makes me question the reviews...

Doffen

Cosign. I was very shocked to play the game and realize that it is very good and will melt your face it looks so good. Makes me question the reviews...

Some reviewers are clearly making an example of the game, but it does with in the 6-7/10 metacritic area.

What I want from Ryse 2 (if it's made):

More varity in gameplay and how you take on enemies.
More vairy in enemies.
Controll your execution.
Different type weapons.
Exploration.
Boss fights needs to be different from normal fights.
Centurion needs to be the normal setting.
Get health from items in the world.
More types on gameplay; control ships, ride on animals, RTS mode, etc.
Longer cutscenes to give the characters more depth.
Get a theme song.

Tsukumo

Well I started a new game and I swear I put it on legendary but I am just kicking so much ass and not having any problems I'm starting to think I somehow put it on easy lol. Yet I can't tell how to check so it's driving me nuts.

With almost four times the focus and the health of centurion difficulty, of course. I really hope that once they patch the game they add a feature to play legendary without upgrades. And cooldown on focus use.

Karak

Thats the main comment on my youtube review is that there is alot of shock around this title versus some of the more official thoughts on it. I remember Sessler(who I like a great deal) began bringing up old 1960's movie plots in comparison to this games plot. Thats when I knew that for this game...I had to play it myself because that just made no sense to me.

-SD-

Banned

rhinosmitty

Neo Member
With almost four times the focus and the health of centurion difficulty, of course. I really hope that once they patch the game they add a feature to play legendary without upgrades. And cooldown on focus use.

I am not finished with my first playthrough yet (Chapter 5 currently), but can I take this to mean that all my unlocks and upgrades roll over to the next playthrough?

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Wrapped it up last night on Centurion. I had a gonzo time. The narrative and the dialogue won't win any Academy Awards, but it got the job done. The big hook for me, was the immersion. Thanks to that dope tech and Crytek wizardry the combat was super-visceral, Repetitive, sure? But I never got bored.

Really hoping it achieves cult status and moves enough units to get a franchise nod.

Top Bottom