• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Prophezz

Banned
FINALLY defeated the the Trial by Fire sequence on Legendary difficulty! Arrgghh that was soooo frustrating!

This video helped a lot. Pretty much after killing the first 2 archers on the right side, I just focused on the left side. Eventually I was able to get the Fire Volley command to appear and work in success before the line fell.

http://youtu.be/mqClN8HsybE

FINALLY defeated the the Trial by Fire sequence on Legendary difficulty! Arrgghh that was soooo frustrating!

I did it first time on Legendary, best way to do it is to stand behind the barrels on the left side (after killing first two on the right) using up all the spears on the top bit then go down, get more spears and either go back up or stand behind the barrels also on the left side of the lower bit.

I'm up to about Chapter 5 right now, and I'm really enjoying the game. My favorite parts are when you are in a squad with your other troops blocking arrows. I know that's a weird part to like, but it really gives the game a "squad" feeling the way they used to realistic interlocking-Roman-shields mechanic.

The combat...I didn't think it was that great at first, but as you get further into the game and unlock more finishers and stuff, it gets pretty fun. I've kicked a guy into a fire and burned him to death, slammed a guy against a wall and stabbed him in the throat while he was trapped between the wall and my shield, finished two enemies with one finisher, and kicked a guy off a cliff with a finisher.

Graphically, it's great. What do you guys think the best level is graphically?

Just pulled the pin on this game last night...downloaded and ready to play tonight. What difficulty should I play on? I like a challenge but I don't like grinding or replaying a section more than 10 or so times to get through...hope that helps answer my question.

Great OT by the way.

Just pulled the pin on this game last night...downloaded and ready to play tonight. What difficulty should I play on? I like a challenge but I don't like grinding or replaying a section more than 10 or so times to get through...hope that helps answer my question.

Great OT by the way.

Start on the hardest. DO IT! It's challenging but not that bad.

T.O.P

Banned
Motherfucker, played a couple of hours tonight
I thought the game looked incredible at the beginning
Then i reached chapter 3

WOAH

Anyway, game is pretty challenging so far, started at the higher difficulty
One thing though, i tried a quick Coliseum run but i didn't get any drop (new equipment) at the end, how does this work exactly?

JaggedSac

The lighting in chapter 4 is phenomenal. Simply incredible...

Is that the
burning wickerman section
? If so, yeah, I played it the night before last and was like...holy fuck, this is incredible looking.

One thing though, i tried a quick Coliseum run but i didn't get any drop (new equipment) at the end, how does this work exactly?

You have to buy booster packs with the gold you earn. The packs give you random items, the higher quality pack, the better the items.

sangreal

damnit... just finished it on legendary and im 16k valor short of what I need to unlock the all SP upgrades achievement

oh well, should only take a minute or two if I find the right chapter to replay

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished it earlier. I actually dug where the story went a lot, the endgame chapters(
Especially the coliseum runthrough to kill Commodus and the siege where you run around knocking down ladders
) were pretty good standouts for me.

The game would benefit a hell of a lot from more enemy variety and weapons, but this was a good foundation for future games that hopefully come from this. I'm planning on running through on Legendary now, and I've messed around with MP a good bit so even if there's not much you can really do in the combat, repetition hasn't kicked in for me.

Any tips on the beach sequence where you have to hold the line from the enemy archers until your archers come through? The archers keep bringing down my team morale too quick before I can throw the spear to kill each archer. :/

Legendary diffculty btw.

I had massive trouble with that section too, made a video after I completed it on how to do it. I know you've completed it but here it is anyway (for others to use).

Ryse How To Kill The Archers on Legendary

Holy shit at chapter 5. The
Wicker Man
was just incredible...and the whole section leading up to it? So awesome.

I'm really loving this, can't believe it got such poor reviews...

LoL at anyone who said moneyhat when a review for this game wasn't terrible. This game got a massively bad rap. Its Gorgeous, and if the game play isnt deep, starting on the higher difficulty (which you all should be doing anyway) makes it at least challenging to perfect.

That was the sticking point I wager. The game will let you get away with playing fairly poorly and still give you the view to all those executions, I must be the wierd one in that I would play a stage again in order to play it better, more perfectly than before. I bet most reviewers just kinda hamfisted thier way around combat and felt it was simple because it let them play simply.

Unity2012

I'm going to be playing this any moment now, just waiting for UPS to drop off my Xbone. Is it worth starting on the hardest difficulty ?

Based on my experience, If you consider yourself a hardcore to "I love a challenge" type of gamer, then yes, start with Centurion. On the other hand, if you are a casual gamer, "play for fun" type, then start with Soldier at least until you get a hand of the combat mechanics.

These coming from a casual player. Yesterday I felt like, for the first time, I put the time and finally really got a good grasp of the combat mechanics. I played MP with friends and random people and for the first time I felt bad-a +! So much fun!

Orca

Finished it the other night and was going to start another playthrough on the hardest difficulty when I get home from work today - do stats and executions I've unlocked carry through to the new game?

damnit... just finished it on legendary and im 16k valor short of what I need to unlock the all SP upgrades achievement

oh well, should only take a minute or two if I find the right chapter to replay

I was able to unlock all SP upgrades on my first runthrough on Centurion. Got it all by the last chapter. About 2 chapters into Legendary mode now.

I was close to not getting this game because of all the reviews but I'm glad I picked it up. Best graphics, alongside Killzone SF, visceral gameplay, love the time-based combat and great story.

Multiplayer is a blast too. One thing I really hate though is when doing co-op with random people, every time they get knocked down, instead of waiting to get revived, they end up going to the Home screen or something, thus pausing the game for both of us. I sit there for way too long waiting for them to realize that and telling them through the mic to come back and unpause the game. I end up having to quit because they don't respond and lose out on the gold, although you do still get the XP to level up. But it's the gold that gets you the new gear.

After having that happen to me five times in a row last night, I ended up just Han Soloing it for the rest of the night. It's more fun to play with other people to see how you compare to them though. Anyone up for some co-op sometime? Add me, gamertag: EteRnal PAL

sangreal

I was able to unlock all SP upgrades on my first runthrough on Centurion. Got it all by the last chapter. About 2 chapters into Legendary mode now.

I was close to not getting this game because of all the reviews but I'm glad I picked it up. Best graphics, alongside Killzone SF, visceral gameplay, love the time-based combat and great story.

Multiplayer is a blast too. One thing I really hate though is when doing co-op with random people, every time they get knocked down, instead of waiting to get revived, they end up going to the Home screen or something, thus pausing the game for both of us. I sit there for way too long waiting for them to realize that and telling them through the mic to come back and unpause the game. I end up having to quit because they don't respond and lose out on the gold, although you do still get the XP to level up. But it's the gold that gets you the new gear.

After having that happen to me five times in a row last night, I ended up just Han Soloing it for the rest of the night. It's more fun to play with other people to see how you compare to them though. Anyone up for some co-op sometime? Add me, gamertag: EteRnal PAL

I had all the stat upgrades, but not the executions unlocked. Probably because I never paid attention to the combo meter until I started playing MP

who is the voice actor for Marius? I wasn't paying attention during the long ass credits, so I ended up missing the listing, lol. I don't see it on IMDB either.

edit: On the combo multiplier/score stuff, my theory is that it was a leftover from the days it was a Kinect game. But it's a good holdover, especially for "simple/repetitive" games like this. I'm totally cool with that type of stuff in games I play, as it makes me more likely to want to replay areas, heh.

Start on the hardest. DO IT! It's challenging but not that bad.

I've started on the hardest available but Legendary wasn't unlock as yet, I assume that is unlocked after one play through. Anyhow thanks for the advice on difficulty I feel I would have blown through the game otherwise and missed the experience I am having.

Further I don't get the complaints about this game, there is a fair amount of depth and for a launch title this game looks and plays beautifully. I played through 2.5 chapters last night and loved every minute of it. The characters and story really suck you in and to me it doesn't feel terribly stuck on the rails, I've played far worse. I'm new to ACIV and Ryse in terms of this free running characters movement and simplified controls but what these games enable you to do with that creates a rewarding experience for me.

For a first game and being a launch game I'm impressed with the high quality production value across the board; the depth of upgrades, the graphics, the animation, the pacing of enemy variety, the hordes in battle, the scripted bits without really feeling like QTEs too much, the audio immersion and really the overall experience.

I can see this game producing a franchise and I'll happily pay for another title of this quality and gameplay. I'm a bit less then 50% and I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. Also as I progress in campaign each chapter is feeling like something different and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

I've started on the hardest available but Legendary wasn't unlock as yet, I assume that is unlocked after one play through. Anyhow thanks for the advice on difficulty I feel I would have blown through the game otherwise and missed the experience I am having.

Further I don't get the complaints about this game, there is a fair amount of depth and for a launch title this game looks and plays beautifully. I played through 2.5 chapters last night and loved every minute of it. The characters and story really suck you in and to me it doesn't feel terribly stuck on the rails, I've played far worse. I'm new to ACIV and Ryse in terms of this free running characters movement and simplified controls but what these games enable you to do with that creates a rewarding experience for me.

For a first game and being a launch game I'm impressed with the high quality production value across the board; the depth of upgrades, the graphics, the animation, the pacing of enemy variety, the hordes in battle, the scripted bits without really feeling like QTEs too much, the audio immersion and really the overall experience.

I can see this game producing a franchise and I'll happily pay for another title of this quality and gameplay. I'm a bit less then 50% and I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. Also as I progress in campaign each chapter is feeling like something different and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Glad to see you enjoying it. :D

Started the game on centurion today and according to the title screen I'm already at 60% after 4 hours, very easy so far. Can't wait to unlock legendary, I hope its harder. Loving the game

In the multiplayer mode...I've mostly been playing on solo so far. I can beat levels alone. I figure after I level up a bit I may play with other people more often.

sangreal

In the multiplayer mode...I've mostly been playing on solo so far. I can beat levels alone. I figure after I level up a bit I may play with other people more often.

There are waaay more multiplayer than solo maps though. I don't think levels (or the gear they get you) matter much. You get matched w/ people around your level anyway

jim2011

Just finished it last night on centurion. Despite my other xb1 games (forza, dead rising 3, ac4, cod, bf4, power star golf, and killer instinct) all getting better reviews, Ryse gripped my attention from beginning to end. It's by far the best "launch title" IMO. Some of the others might be better games but the story, acting, and visuals made a great experience for the new system.

I think crytek did a great job for the foundation of a franchise.
I just wonder if/how they'll continue with Marius due to the ending. He was easily one of my favorite protagonists in the past few years. It'd be a shame to start with someone new.

Yards

Banned
Why are people enjoying this game so much when the reviewers shit on it?

Honestly, it feels like most reviewers judged the game mostly on public perception and on its initial showing at E3. The game is at least a 7/10 overall. It's really enjoyable, and I can't say that for a lot of cinematic games.

sangreal

I think the biggest misconception hurting the game is the idea that you only fight guy while everyone else stands around watching which is simply not true.

Honestly, it feels like most reviewers judged the game mostly on public perception and on its initial showing at E3. The game is at least a 7/10 overall. It's really enjoyable, and I can't say that for a lot of cinematic games.

Have you seen some of the game footage from those reviews? I wouldn't be having fun either if I played that bad.

Beat it in about 6 hours on centurion, I thought the game was amazing but extremely easy. I only died a few times doing to me being bad and trying to block the red attacks instead of dodging. I hope legendary actually makes it a bit harder. I tried to play MP but sat waiting looking for a game for 5 minutes on a friday night... I gave up =\

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it in about 6 hours on centurion, I thought the game was amazing but extremely easy. I only died a few times doing to me being bad and trying to block the red attacks instead of dodging. I hope legendary actually makes it a bit harder. I tried to play MP but sat waiting looking for a game for 5 minutes on a friday night... I gave up =\

Legendary is a good bit harder. The red glow is gone, you take a TON of damage, and you barely get stuff from executions. Even then, if you mess up any of the inputs during them it gives no payout.

cheezcake

So what setting would people dig for a Ryse sequel?

I think a medieval Japan setting playing as a samurai would be kickass, there's also some really cool associated mythology if they want to continue on the whole gods/magic side of things.

I think a medieval Japan setting playing as a samurai would be kickass, there's also some really cool associated mythology if they want to continue on the whole gods/magic side of things.

unless the bring marius back i dont want another ryse

I've been getting into the multiplayer. It's pretty fun playing on solo, but I started playing today using the matchmaking service and wow, it's waaay more fun with two people. I started getting a lot more double executions and saw a lot more levels than I had seen before.

This really is an underrated launch game. The reviews ripped this game off.

I would go for this as a sequel, nice.

The whole shield/blocking then swordplay mechanic. It reminds me a little of Genma Onimusha, which I also had a lot of fun with back on the original xbox days.

Top Bottom