• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

p3tran

Banned
so, I finally decided to digitally download this game, after my "day 1" edition never came from game.uk

and guess what?

I think the game is fucking awesome!

m0dus, lets do dis my man!! gotta grind those packs up!

About to finish the game, I think - I'm at
the coliseum stage
- so far the story's been pretty banal. Combat is decent, but I'm ready to be done with Ryse and move on to something else. By the end, the guys you fight have a ton of guard break and it's pretty annoying.

Overall - a solid launch title. I will look forward to Ryse 2.

Jsheldon

Can anyone recommend quick ways to generate money in the arena (either mp or preferably solo) to avoid paying out of pocket for booster packs?

Hoping there are certain levels that generate quicker cash since excessive grinding can = boredom :/

I'd give my gamertag but I'm terrible for the time being. I'm gonna practice and can hopefully start tag teaming with gaffers in this thread :)

Stantron

Can anyone recommend quick ways to generate money in the arena (either mp or preferably solo) to avoid paying out of pocket for booster packs?

Hoping there are certain levels that generate quicker cash since excessive grinding can = boredom :/

I'd give my gamertag but I'm terrible for the time being. I'm gonna practice and can hopefully start tag teaming with gaffers in this thread :)

Well I don't have any specific tactics, but generally from what I can tell, the best way to earn gold (and xp) is by maintaining a high combo multiplier at all costs, and keeping the crowd entertained. Successfully doing executions helps both in score and in building focus, which in turn helps to dispose of the boss type enemies easier, hopefully while still holding the combo.
LB chants to the crowd which ensures that the combo won't end for another 20 or so seconds unless you attack, roll, throw a pila or man the cross bow. So make sure to do that in between waves, even if you dropped the combo and have a low number.
Try to pick a map that doesn't have the "chase the traitor/messenger" objective because those tend to be difficult to do without losing combo. Also, archers can sometimes hit you as you climb up to their platforms, so be wary.
Playing coop generally is better than playing solo because you can also benefit from your partners deity buff and focus attack, get objectives done quicker and less enemies focused on you at once. Jump in, the water's fine. You'll get higher scores and finish quicker on more variety of maps.
Don't bunch up too closely to a coop buddy while fighting though. That's a good way of getting him hit by an enemy targeting you, or to have him lose combo because you initiated an execution on his enemy which was not realized until his combo dropped.
Jupiter is a good deity to pick because he builds focus quickly. Depending on your focus time, you can activate with RB, slash an enemy 9 times(not 10 because that will kill), execute, slash the next enemy 9 times, execute, plus maybe have left over time. And if you do well in timing legendary executions you'll already have meter for the next group.

eshwaaz

So what setting would people dig for a Ryse sequel?

I think a medieval Japan setting playing as a samurai would be kickass, there's also some really cool associated mythology if they want to continue on the whole gods/magic side of things.
I actually think there's still a ton of potential and appeal left in the Rome setting. I'd love to see it explored further in a sequel.

Stantron

Holy shit! I got a tier 4 sword with +80% focus gain and a tier 5 gauntlets with 3 extra focus capsules. Feels like easy mode now. I just got over 1500 gold and a 220 combo. Crazy.

sangreal

the answer is to work on getting high combo multipliers (LB addresses the crowd which both raises crowd level and extends combo timer)

I wouldn't worry too much about the booster packs though, you'll be able to afford plenty as you level up.

I would go for this as a sequel, nice.

It would be a REAL shame if we do not get a sequel to Ryse. The game is NOT great, but it is entertaining enough to admit enough fun to where I was more then satisfied after completion.

All we need now is some more STUFF!!! The fighting engine is AWESOME, the characters you fight on the other hand, are the same fat faced fat guys by the millions, and the skinny dudes look like they just got done working on a motorcycle and dressed themselves up in Cosplay costumes and handed an AXE!!!

All in all; LOVE the game, I just see SOOO much potential here, it would be a shame, a tragedy if MS does not hand over the money to Crytek to make a sequel, there is just SO much more Crytek can do with the engine they have in place (and with time)!

statham

Beat it yesterday, some of the last bosses were hard, didn't know you could level up executions til near the end. Reviewers got this one wrong. Its a 8-8.5 game IMO.

Well beat it in legendary. I think it took just under 11 hours to beat it on centurion and then legendary. Beautiful game to look at. I liked the combat it was just a bit shallow. Hoping they can make it feel more like the Arkham games next go around. It was a beautiful game to look at and I found the story engaging and the voice actors quite good. I might hold onto it as a showcase game

sangreal

game clip recorded
game clip recorded
game clip recorded
game clip recorded
game clip recorded
game clip recorded

Anyways, is there any word on when we can expect leaderboards?

Tried to get the last two chronicles on chapter 8 and they wouldn't let me select them, anyone else had a similar issue?

I definitely don't have them already btw.

FaintDeftone

I just finished it. I surprisingly enjoyed it quite a bit. The combat lacks a lot of depth and the bosses are easy to figure out, but the story, setting and the situations they put you in all make the game enjoyable to play through. I have not yet touched multiplayer but I will give it a shot soon.

7/10 for me.

Hawk269

So what do all those things that you find in the game actually for? I have found a lot of hidden areas with all these different things to find, but not really sure what they are for etc.

When I see "found a scroll" I was hoping for a screen in the menu's to read such scrolls, like little added story bits etc.

Downloaded the game Friday and after a weekend with it this is lot better than I thought based on the reviews. I'd be surprised if no sequel was made.

Macsta

Can anyone help me?

I cant seem to get an online game going. I even select solo mode in gladiator and it just takes me to the loading screen and just stays there.

I can manage connect to other players, and ready up and can even hear them talking, but it just stays on the loading screen.

Ive got an open NAT and can go online in all my other games....

Any ideas?

Just beat it a couple hours ago. Combat was not deep but I spread out my time with the game so it didn't get to repetitive. Really loved the music and voice acting. The verbal bitch slap he gave to that soldier near the end was one of my favorite moments. Hope we get a sequal with a bit more varied combat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So what do all those things that you find in the game actually for? I have found a lot of hidden areas with all these different things to find, but not really sure what they are for etc.

When I see "found a scroll" I was hoping for a screen in the menu's to read such scrolls, like little added story bits etc.

It does actually do this, but it's only on smartglass which I think is pretty dumb.

Also, for whatever reason it won't work on a phone with ryse.

It does actually do this, but it's only on smartglass which I think is pretty dumb.

Also, for whatever reason it won't work on a phone with ryse.

Oh wow, really?

I too was going to ask whats the point of collecting these scrolls and stuff if you can't actually read them. I guess I should have tried checking smartglass while playing, but I'm not at the point yet where it's at my side and on during a game. I guess I'll have to get in a better habbit of having my phone handy. I'll check this out later

dankir

Beat it this weekend. The pacing went really crazy in the last two chapers, loved them but it seemed to drag on a bit.

Most beautiful game I've ever played. Basilus' (spelling?) facial animation / detail in sync with his VO was freaking incredible.

Wherever the sequel goes to, definitive needs multiple weapon types for a who boatload of executions ( which were fucking awesome and brutal) and a bit more enemy variety than the typical grunt, shielded and "tank" brute type of character.

Still great fun and goddamn so pretty.

sangreal

All I can say is that the archer section of Trial By Fire on legendary can burn in hell.

A lot of people had trouble with this. I find it pretty easy if you move in and out of cover. I made a video but didn't get around to uploading it since there are a few other vids in this thread already showing ways of beating it.

I had much more trouble
fighting Commodus mirrors
on legendary

sangreal

I hate getting matched with someone playing Mars. The damage bonus makes setting up executions a pain in the ass

Is there any downside to buying this used? Would I miss out on any online multiplayer stuff or DLC or anything?

Thanks!

day one edition comes with an extra co-op arena map but that's it

I finally got MS to send me a code for it today since I bought the game digital -- it's nothing special

Stantron

It's kind of annoying to have the other person steal an execution move on an enemy you're fighting. Or if we're too close and both have the skull icons over our enemies who we're separately fighting, there's a chance that you'll do a double execution, which can cause the other player to drop a combo before he realizes it.

To fix this, they should add a second or two delay from the time you last hit an enemy to when your coop buddy is allowed to initiate an execution on said enemy.

just beat ryse on legendary
there is no after the credits scene is there?
I guess I will wait, there was no scene on soldier mode but just in case...

it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but still took me about 9 all said and done. I also used the smart glass app to get all the collectibles, so I didn't rush by any means.

Krilekk

Banned
Beat the game last night in a marathon setting, took me six hours from start to finish. A great ride, while some of the criticism is valid (not enough different opponents, kills) overall it is one hell of a good game and easily a 7/10 or better. It's very much Gears of War in Ancient Rome. The QTEs are never annoying, just like in Gears (active reload) they just give you a bonus. And the levels are so gorgeous. I doubt any game that is not made by Crytek will even achieve that level of fidelity in the next two years. And the story is very entertaining (it's what kept me going). Multiplayer is ok. Things are too confusing for my taste when you have two players on screen fighting eight bad guys, you never know when to block.

BTW I hate blocking in games. This is the first one where it's actually fun to use for me.

JaggedSac

I'm am thus far unable to start any multiplayer matches. My NAT is open, my online and multiplayer network tests are fine, but whenever I match with someone, they always 'leave the session' after the coliseum has loaded. :-/

Interesting. Have you tried a hard boot? My matchmaking gets broken sometimes and quitting the game from the home screen via the menu button will resolve it.

Couple of tweets to bring to peoples attention:

Microsoft studio manager Mike Ybarra just posted this:

Pretty cool Ryse announcement hitting tomorrow morning (PST). I won’t leak the info…but be looking for it.

Justin Robey - Senior producer on Ryse:

Catch a sneak peek at an upcoming Gladiator arena or two for #Ryse. Will be streaming tomorrow on #TwitchTV. Maybe even give out a code!

Hoping the first announcement is some new single player stuff but could just be related to the multiplayer content.

sangreal

Couple of tweets to bring to peoples attention:

Microsoft studio manager Mike Ybarra just posted this:

Justin Robey - Senior producer on Ryse:

Hoping the first announcement is some new single player stuff but could just be related to the multiplayer content.

Hoping we get leaderboards at least

I'm down with more MP content though. From the season pass description, I doubt we will get much if anything in the way of SP (story) content. Speaking of, I should probably buy the season pass

Macsta

Can anyone help me?

I cant seem to get an online game going. I even select solo mode in gladiator and it just takes me to the loading screen and just stays there.

I can manage connect to other players, and ready up and can even hear them talking, but it just stays on the loading screen.

Ive got an open NAT and can go online in all my other games....

Any ideas?

Figured it out. Had to re-install the game and its working like a charm now.... weird...

Timu

I'm on the 5th chapter now and is enjoying it more, in fact, I'm liking this game, though I wish you could turn off the HUD, would help for these screens I took:
ibnwvBiVRcuIlJ.png

ipbqcqsZjIZMa.png

c398fc1f_20131210201013.png

p3tran

Banned
great screengrabs

so, I am now playing in legendary, and have played a handful of online too.

my verdict:

Ryse with its shortcomings is an above 7/10 game for everyone
with production values to 10/10.

if you are a fan of beatem up / slash'em up, then maybe you will enjoy this even more.

the repetition of enemies etc could be so easily handled with some dlc....
oh, and please bring the leaderboards soon :)
AND an option to turn HUD off and color coding on enemies off too 8)

p.s.
@sangreal I also digitally downloaded the game. where do I send email to receive the day 1 bonuses? (there's a dagger too?)

Prine

Banned
I absolutely love the combat though, and im saying this because jumping into combat for AC4 everything feels sloppy, delayed and far more "on rails" if that makes any sense. Crytek did a great job in transitioning into executions seamlessly that it always felt like it was part of your arsenal of moves rather than an over the top animation. As far as sword combat goes this is certainly one of the better systems. I pray they develop another Ryse game - the combat could be one of the best if they add variety and harsher penalties.

Jinaar

Right now I am leveling up to 100 in Multiplayer but I want to get my combo's up (highest has been 250 on the dot). Lets share techniques!

RYSE Combat Tips

Your Gladiator Animations - This is the key to get Legendary Executions. More often then not, you can determine if it is going to be a sword strike(Blue) or a shield/body blow (Yellow) by really watching your gladiators animations before the quick time press. Frames of animation. You'll feel like you're playing SF4 watching so intently.

Time your Executions - your timing effects the combo meter. Always do your best to get Legendary, which allows for Legendary Executions too.
Legendary = 3 Combo points
Centurian = 2 Combo Points
Soldier = 1 Combo Point

Taunt always - After every wave of enemies you defeat, taunt. Inbetween waves of barbarians running at you during a round, taunt. Taunting will stall the delay before your combo meter ends completely. Use it when the opportunity arises to keep that combo going between rounds.

Gold/MP Exp - Grind with your best god, Jupiter. Slowing time allows you to get your combo meter up as high as you can go. Try to get the skull symbol overtop of 2+ enemies in this time if it allows and go for a double execution. Double executions paired with armor/weapon that allows for increase Focus gain allows you to spam Slow Time and keep that combo meter up. I really have to learn about the skull symbols. I think there are three types: White Skull, White Skull with Crack in it, Red Skull. Maybe the SmartGlass Ryse Manual has it in there. I will take a look later today. To me the skulls may mean you get more execution attempts depending on which one you get.

Heavy Hitters - This one is delicate matter on what is best to do. When you see the heavy hit coming at you, enemy is highlighted in red, you have a few options:
- Your sword strike can interrupt the attack. This all depends though on timing.
- Roll away in the proper direction. This depends on if you roll in the right direction as well as I have had the enemy appear to get stuck on my roll direction and the enemy animation follows the direction I have gone, making me get hit.
- well timed block.
Blocking gives me the most control in this situation, but you have to be very aware of the situation at hand and pressing A before hand leaves you for dead.

Double Attacks - The odd time, two barbarians will attack at the same time, just roll away. If there is a delay between their two attacks you can block both individually, but if they are paired together at the same time, you can't block both attacks in my experience. Just roll.

Archers - Goodness I hate archers. I have no advice here. Issues I am facing:
- My combo finishes before I can get up to the archers to kill them on their platform or I get hit by an arrow. I have tried to use the god's powers to knock them back before going up; I have tried to time it so after they loose their arrows I go up. I have tried to throw spears before hand but the timing can be very difficult, especially when you don't want to lose the combo. And if you go up to the platform before killing any barbarians on the ground, soon you will have over 10 enemies in a confined space to deal with. I hate this round.
Anyone have suggestions to archers?

Catapults - Another shitty round that easily breaks combos. When the two catapults are so far away from each other on the map, it's very difficult to get across without getting hit by enemies, hit by the catapult firing on you or just the combo finishing off naturally due to time. Any thoughts?

Defend The Area - There is a round where you have to defend an area. Nothing too hard about this. Only take away, after you kill all the barbarians and make it to about 50% of the progress bar, 3 barbarians will come out, one being an archer. This hands in two seperate waves. That archer is a dick and will break your combo if you do not realize he is behind you aiming his shit branch at you. Be always aware of these shit eaters.

Right now I cannot think of anything else. But if anyone has thoughts to add or adjustments to what was written, reply back. There must be things I have left out or even do not know about! That has happened before :)

Even at level 61, I unlock different executions now and again. This game just keeps delivering.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Good stuff Jinaar. I just recently started rocking multi and enjoying the grind so far at level 13. I think my highest combo is 105. I've been going with only Apollo so far. Will give Jupiter a try today.

sadromeo

For MP, the ability to generate FOCUS quickly and TAUNTING to keep the bonus streak paused between fights is key to getting high combos.

I had no idea you could go over rank 100 in MP. Currently sitting on 104 and finally got 1000/1000 last night.

For SP, I thought that timing of the buttons during executions gives you the recruit, soldier, centurion and legendary titles. I thought that the faster you press either the blue(X) or yellow (Y) buttons as they are flashed determines what level of execution hit you get.

Also for SP on legendary difficulty, the dodge (B) move really got me out of really really tight spots and kind of helped me space out "clumped" or "grouped" enemies. I also tended to shield bash multiple enemies to "stun" them before concentrating on any specific one.

This game deserves a sequel.

Stantron

White scull = enemy can be executed, icon will not go away
Red scull = brief window to execute enemy
White scull + crossing bones = enemy can be executed with co-op buddy
White scull with crack = environmental execution

Executing two enemies at the same time requires you to be within a certain proximity of both, and it's regardless of the type of execution icon over their heads.
Environmental executions usually end with Y button I think.

I'm not sure about points/bonus each execution type gives but I would assume red gives more than white.
If you fail one of the blue/yellow prompts, when the execution completes, it will get scored as a Recruit Execution overall even if the other prompts were well timed Legendary hits. For this reason, I think it's more beneficial to do a slower Centurion attack than a failed Recruit attack. Once you learn the animation types though, it's fairly easy to get all Legendary.

T.O.P

Banned
Just finished the game

+
Gorgeous Visuals and art, jaw dropping at times
Great soundtrack, even better dub, loved Marius VA
Story was nothing mindblowing but it was pretty entertaining, excited to see a sequel for this
Combat as limited as it is, felt pretty satisfying, executing enemies in slow-mo never gets old
Location variety was great, amazing atmosphere

-
Combat system felt too restricted, you fight enemies in the last chapter exactly the same way as you did in the first one, no progression at all, it gets repetitive after a while...hoping to see much more variety if a sequel is made
Exploration is just not there, would have loved some bigger environments especially for chapter IV and V, huge missed opportunity there
Boss battle were pretty mhe, some looked cool but it was still the same stuff as the last boss

Going for a 7 atm

Will do another run at the highest difficulty and get the collectibles i missed

Unity2012

Great Post Jinaar.

I've been working on rolling away from Heavy hitters; you are right, pressing X can interrupt them, but, with precise timing. The challenge in both cases is when one is surrounded by a wave of enemies at the same time... but it's all good.

Thank you!

great screengrabs

so, I am now playing in legendary, and have played a handful of online too.

my verdict:

Ryse with its shortcomings is an above 7/10 game for everyone
with production values to 10/10.

if you are a fan of beatem up / slash'em up, then maybe you will enjoy this even more.

the repetition of enemies etc could be so easily handled with some dlc....
oh, and please bring the leaderboards soon :)
AND an option to turn HUD off and color coding on enemies off too 8)

p.s.
@sangreal I also digitally downloaded the game. where do I send email to receive the day 1 bonuses? (there's a dagger too?)

I had a support ticket escalated to get the Day One content. I'll know more tomorrow. Will update in this thread.

sangreal

Yeah, I did the live chat and they escalated it to a support specialist. Took them almost a week to get back to me, but they eventually just emailed me codes for Forza and Ryse day one content.

It took awhile, but I didn't have to argue for it or anything so it was pretty painless

Oh, and yeah I forgot about the sword. It's Tier 1 - 3% xp 15% focus time

Top Bottom