• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

R_Deckard

So loving this game, visually it is really, really outstanding in so much.

Character art, models, environments, lighting, DOF, bokah, CA it really is a showpiece for the X1.

But the game is fun, a god story, great production values, a Russell Crowe-like v over main.

This game deserves, nay demands a sequel and if you like hack and slash or story based games that make you feel like a real badass then look no further.

Finished on hardest now playing again on legendary ( think its test anyway)

For me a true next gen (visually) and fun game...

Could do with more char variation and combat moves but still well done crytec, and that engine.... Whoo!!

Redshirt

Banned
I just started messing with Ryse multiplayer and realized that I never got the Day One DLC.

I'm chatting with MS support right now, and it's a bit of a nightmare. The person barely knows what an Xbox is. :(

sangreal

How do you know if you got it or not?

it shows up in my games and apps (under addons for ryse). if you bought it digitally, you didn't get it. if you bought it on disc, it depends on whether you got the day one version

edit: the simplest answer is that you would know because you have to enter a code to redeem it

Jinaar

Most welcome Unity2012 and thanks to everyone else posting about the skulls and more.

Really the biggest take away from this is how deep the game's combat can get if one is willing to understand it and get good at it (aka put some time into it). It's very much like any other game where you can win with just X if you wanted too but if you take the time, the reward is so much greater and you can really make the game shine.

Love Ryse :)

Jinaar

I just started messing with Ryse multiplayer and realized that I never got the Day One DLC.

I'm chatting with MS support right now, and it's a bit of a nightmare. The person barely knows what an Xbox is. :(

Ha I forgot I got a Day One Ryse box from Best Buy. Thanks for the reminder. Inputting my code shortly.

Just finished Ryse and I've posted how much I enjoyed it already but the story is just perfect, as is the voice acting, audio and facial animation. The execution (pardon the pun) is also perfect, very immersive and allows you to go as in depth as you want. The animation, sense of weight/momentum to characters and visuals are simply jaw dropping, next gen for certain. Oh let us not forget the lighting, it's breathtaking to me.

I haven't touched multiplayer still, I always like to do campaign first to get a foothold on a game. My trouble is I basically went with health regen reward the entire time so I have a ton more mechanics to get into I think. Time to comb this thread for the goodies.

A friend recommended BF4 but I'm glad I waited until that is fixed up and went with Ryse earlier instead.

I'm in chapter six. So far I like it, the combat is surprinsingly fun, keeps you wanting for more. However I don't like the direction of the game, the first and second chapter are pretty bad, lacks of a general objective further than just go forward. It lacks of variety and when it tries to give you variety like the force pillum, ballista and testudo sections (this one I really enjoy but still far to simple). The first chapter is bad, I think it would have been better if the story started in thw middle of the story arch if they wanted to make a big first impresion. The second is terrible, horribly lack of context and underdevelops its character. The following chapters are great but side gameplay mechanics should havd been more elaborated to not feel forced. It overall could use a couple more chapters to develop its characters better.

Not sure how people who bought it digitally were able to get codes from support for day one content. I've tried like 5 times now and got denied every time because they said only DR3 digital got day one content. Sigh, oh well, guess I won't ever get that MP map. Shame too, because I bought it digital thinking we got the content since Major Nelson and news.xbox.com said we would. Turns out MN shadily edited the stuff out of his post about it, and news.xbox.com didn't but they still won't honor it.

Not sure how people who bought it digitally were able to get codes from support for day one content. I've tried like 5 times now and got denied every time because they said only DR3 digital got day one content. Sigh, oh well, guess I won't ever get that MP map. Shame too, because I bought it digital thinking we got the content since Major Nelson and news.xbox.com said we would. Turns out MN shadily edited the stuff out of his post about it, and news.xbox.com didn't but they still won't honor it.

When did you buy it digitally? Only available for the first two weeks iirc.

Redshirt

Banned
Well, I've been pushed along to the next level of support, and they'll apparently email me at some point. I guess I'll have to wait a week like sangreal did. I hope I don't have the problem Banjo-Kazooie did.

I also emailed Crytek. Not sure that will help, but it can't hurt.

The experience with tier one MS support was kind of painful for me. They asked me where I purchased the Xbox One and then suggested I contact Amazon because it was their problem. *sigh*

Well, I've been pushed along to the next level of support, and they'll apparently email me at some point. I guess I'll have to wait a week like sangreal did. I hope I don't have the problem Banjo-Kazooie did.

I also emailed Crytek. Not sure that will help, but it can't hurt.

The experience with tier one MS support was kind of painful for me. They asked me where I purchased the Xbox One and then suggested I contact Amazon because it was their problem. *sigh*

In my experience every single time I deal with a large company and their outsourced support centres I simply use these words "I would like the call escalated to a supervisor". I repeat that until they actually get a supervisor, usually twice is enough as they're trained to not put you through the first time.

Once you get higher level support you often find they can magically solve your issue with real customer service in place of scripted answers.

sangreal

But it 5 days after release they said day one content isn't offered digitally for Ryse or Forza, only DR3. MNs website post about the 2 week windows has been edited to show it isn't a thigh anymore.

Yup; That's why I ended up going through support in the first place. Until I noticed that, I was eagerly awaiting some comment from MS on when the issue would be resolved.

When I contacted support, I went in with the news.xbox.com link from the start. She actually eventually found the majornelson page on her own but didn't know why it was crossed out and escalated me. I did mention at some point that other people had codes emailed to them

I never actually had to talk to the tier 2 person -- their first email to me contained the codes

But it 5 days after release they said day one content isn't offered digitally for Ryse or Forza, only DR3. MNs website post about the 2 week windows has been edited to show it isn't a thigh anymore.

Oh dear, sounds they're being stupid about it. Perhaps try to speak to someone at MS on the phone?

Timu

great screengrabs
Thanks, on Chapter 7 on and I can't believe this is in game and a launch title no less!
ii9Hsq0TIzVBw.png

weeeeezy

Banned
I just finished DR3 and although the game play was awesome, the story felt really lackluster to me. Still a great game none the less.

So I have to ask, is Ryse really worth it? I'm really craving a game with an in depth story.

Yup; That's why I ended up going through support in the first place. Until I noticed that, I was eagerly awaiting some comment from MS on when the issue would be resolved.

When I contacted support, I went in with the news.xbox.com link from the start. She actually eventually found the majornelson page on her own but didn't know why it was crossed out and escalated me. I did mention at some point that other people had codes emailed to them

I never actually had to talk to the tier 2 person -- their first email to me contained the codes

Oh dear, sounds they're being stupid about it. Perhaps try to speak to someone at MS on the phone?
Ya I've tried talking to them in 3 separate occasions with no luck. I'll try again and lead off with the news.xbox.com link and then ask to be escalated. Twitter support wouldn't help, they said the same thing chat support told me :/. Not sure why I'm putting this much effort in for one map and a sword, but I guess it's more for the principle that I bought it with the promise (which was later reneged) that I would get the content.

Stantron

A little something I just stumbled upon in MP... Taunt cancel.
Press LB, wait a second, press RT, then A.
Usually, the taunt animation is about six seconds or so, which you need to have play out.
This takes about two seconds, yet still keeps the combo from expiring.
Very useful. I've been doing it constantly.

sangreal

A little something I just stumbled upon in MP... Taunt cancel.
Press LB, wait a second, press RT, then A.
Usually, the taunt animation is about six seconds or so, which you need to have play out.
This takes about two seconds, yet still keeps the combo from expiring.
Very useful. I've been doing it constantly.

Pretty sure you can roll out of the taunt after a second too, but you don't get the full crowd boost benefit (there is a meter above the crowd indicator as you taunt)

Stantron

Pretty sure you can roll out of the taunt after a second too, but you don't get the full crowd boost benefit (there is a meter above the crowd indicator as you taunt)

Right. Rolling will cancel the taunt. Your combo will expire and you'll receive no crowd boost. The method I described keeps your combo from expiring, and keeps the crowd "enraptured" even though you don't actually see the crowd meter fill up (unless I'm remembering this part wrong but I don't think so).

You can do just RT too, but there is a small animation that plays out. RT then A is faster.

Great Post Jinaar.

I've been working on rolling away from Heavy hitters; you are right, pressing X can interrupt them, but, with precise timing. The challenge in both cases is when one is surrounded by a wave of enemies at the same time... but it's all good.

Thank you!

A perfect block can deflect their "unblockable" attacks too.

sangreal

Right. Rolling will cancel the taunt. Your combo will expire and you'll receive no crowd boost. The method I described keeps your combo from expiring, and keeps the crowd "enraptured" even though you don't actually see the crowd meter fill up (unless I'm remembering this part wrong but I don't think so).

You can do just RT too, but there is a small animation that plays out. RT then A is faster.

oh, interesting, thanks. I'll give it a shot

I was thinking the other day and I could have sworn some of the pre-release game footage showed Marius fighting barbarians around Stonehenge. I don't remember ever seeing that in my actual play-through though. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that? Would have been pretty cool.

Edit: Found it. Did I just miss this in the game?

Unity2012

Justin Robey ‏@Robeyonekenobi 10 Dec
Be sure to watch the #TwitchTV stream tomorrow at 2pm. Will tease some new gladiator maps and give away a #Ryse game code.
Collapse

Couple of tweets to bring to peoples attention:

Microsoft studio manager Mike Ybarra just posted this:

Justin Robey - Senior producer on Ryse:

Hoping the first announcement is some new single player stuff but could just be related to the multiplayer content.

Did anybody watch the new gladiator maps? Do we have a link to the previews?

Krilekk

Banned
I experienced the strangest thing yesterday in multiplayer, some naked guy with black bars running around and then dying for some reason. Made a clip, check it out.

GT "X1 Two", title is "ryse no clothes?"

WTF did I see?

Got Ryse now since Wednesday, I'm really amazed how much fun this game is. After the reviews I was kinda unsure, if I really should buy it, but I definitely want to see what the x1 i capable of (in terms of graphic).

I'm really happy I bought Ryse, it's not just dumb buttonmashing, you really need timing and tactics to defeat a big group of enemies. Especially the Arena can be really though.

Will finish the campaign today, if there will be a Sequel, I definitely buy it day one :)

m23

I experienced the strangest thing yesterday in multiplayer, some naked guy with black bars running around and then dying for some reason. Made a clip, check it out.

GT "X1 Two", title is "ryse no clothes?"

WTF did I see?

It's just a little thing Crytek threw in, some other people also mentioned seeing that.

nikos

Just finished the game. First next gen retail game I beat.

I wasn't even considering buying the game until I found a sale and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did! Hope there will be a more refined sequel.

Al13n

Neo Member
Man, this used to be the main game for me to buy an XONE. Then cancelled the game because of the reviews, then deciding to go for it anyway. I am so glad I did.. Really can't understand the reviews.

I love this game!

Posted in review thread by mistake:

Ok I was actually loving this game to the point where I was going to 1,000G it BUT I've gone back to get all collectibles and the companion app shows I'm missing one I definitely picked up and I obviously can't pick it up again. It's leontius scroll on the second level so pretty much unmissable too. I'm so annoyed at this glitchy pish. Any ideas?

sangreal

Ok I was actually loving this game to the point where I was going to 1,000G it BUT I've gone back to get all collectibles and the companion app shows I'm missing one I definitely picked up and I obviously can't pick it up again. It's leontius scroll on the second level so pretty much unmissable too. I'm so annoyed at this glitchy pish. Any ideas?

Someone else posted the same problem in this thread, but not sure they ever got it fixed

smurphdogg

Neo Member

FWIW: I got the achievement for collecting all chronicles without collecting all of them.

Every once in a while I will get a prompt like R>> but I can't figure out what it is wanting me to do. I was thinking it meant click in the Right stick on the controller which would make me focus on something specific but nothing seems to happen when I do click the Right stick so Im guessing Ive got it all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Warewolf

Every once in a while I will get a prompt like R>> but I can't figure out what it is wanting me to do. I was thinking it meant click in the Right stick on the controller which would make me focus on something specific but nothing seems to happen when I do click the Right stick so Im guessing Ive got it all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Yep. That's exactly what it it wants you to do. All it does is focus your vision on an "important" area or set piece. Nothing too special, I think there is a similr mechanic in the Arkham games and. . . . . Maybe Uncharted?

Just trying to make sure you see a scene important to story progression or your objectives. It does literally nothing except maybe zoom in a tiny bit if you're already looking in the right spot.

K1ng P3n

Man, this used to be the main game for me to buy an XONE. Then cancelled the game because of the reviews, then deciding to go for it anyway. I am so glad I did.. Really can't understand the reviews.

I love this game!

I was the same way and I have loved every second of the game!

EBE

thats exactly what it is supposed to do. like gears of war.

Redshirt

Banned
I finished collecting all scrolls, chronicles and vistas today. I had to cheat for two items on level 8, which in retrospect seem kind of unfair, but kudos to those who found them without cheating.

@Crentist the Dentist: Not sure if this is your issue, but I had one that I was sure I had picked up, but what was happening was that I was getting targeted when I checked it. It seems like if a mob is targeting Marius, the items won't turn green or be collectable.

So I beat it on legendary, which actually was very easy. I only died a few times due to fail rolls and heavy attacks basically 2 shotting me. I'm working on MP now, for some reason this game doesn't wanna connect to anyone even though all my other games work so I've been doing solo arena. Is there anyway to get rid of this damn male thong besides spending IRL money to buy one of the other models?

So I beat it on legendary, which actually was very easy. I only died a few times due to fail rolls and heavy attacks basically 2 shotting me. I'm working on MP now, for some reason this game doesn't wanna connect to anyone even though all my other games work so I've been doing solo arena. Is there anyway to get rid of this damn male thong besides spending IRL money to buy one of the other models?

Multiplayer is a bit slow to start with but just keep playing and earning the gold and get booster packs you'll be rid of it soon. Unfortunately I replaced mine with something akin to a light blue veil >.<

Game just came in from GameFly and I'm surprised about how much I'm enjoying it. The combat is pretty repetitive but the graphics are gorgeous and the executions are satisfying.

border

I liked this game pretty well, and thought the combat was really fun. I can make it through the game okay, but I'm pretty bad about keeping my combo meter up.

It's also hilarious to me that even though there's only 2 possible buttons you can press for the QTEs, I still often end up pressing the wrong one. I guess I just have an itchy trigger finger trying to go for those Legendary Hits.

Top Bottom